BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:53:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By iwouldntknow:

Ahhh yes the gold standard of the Continental dollar that paid for the war that founded the country.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RogueSpear2023:
Yep that founding fathers screwed up, one thing they should have put in place was you have to have a balanced budget. Although since we were on the gold standard at the time, they probably never perceived this being a problem in the first place.

Fuck you Richard Nixon, they should have let your commie ass rot in prison.

Ahhh yes the gold standard of the Continental dollar that paid for the war that founded the country.

Gold was a better standard not because Gold has any intrinsic value - nothing created does - gold was a better standard because it forced those using it as a currency to have to adhere to the limits of the physical world.

Once we fully got off of Gold, they could print just as much paper as they wanted.

Now they don't even use paper.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:45:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By SS65:
Good ideas. Here's some more:
1) End baseline budgeting and limit any departments budget increases to 2%.
  Exceptions:
     A) Military  
     B) Social Security and Medicare/Medicaid limited to rate of inflation

2.) Every department must justify their budget.
3)  Identify programs that are beyond the Constitutional role of the Federal government and eliminate or block grant back to the states as many as possible.

As previously stated it's not necessary to pay it off. Just balance the budget and gradually reduce it while growing the economy.

View Quote

70-80% of fed gov programs are unconstitutional
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:54:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: buck19delta] [#3]
It’s entirely numerically possible, but it’s 100% impossible with the current crop of idiots in government, and the large % of idiots in the population as well. You can’t excuse bad behavior, and excuse consequences and erase personal responsibility, AND pay down the debt.

USA is spending almost a trillion each year just paying single mothers to be whores, generational welfare leeches, lazy illegals, lazy weed smoking twenty somethings to sit him because “ they are sad “,  probably wasting another 500 billion on bribery in various forms local, state, federal, and foreign.

We’re firmly in idiocracy now, full speed ahead into retardation and financial collapse.

This, except it will have some flavor of minority or LGBTQ on it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:59:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Obo2:
If you owe someone thousands of dollars that's your problem. If you owe someone 34 trillion that sounds more like their problem.
View Quote

Who do you think the money is owed to? Once you answer that question you’ll realize how stupid your comment is.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:02:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DayandNight1701] [#5]
You can't prove me wrong. You can't post a credible plan to pay off the national debt.

Our economy is based on debt consumption and it won't stop until it collapses, so everyone kicks the can. How's your 401K doing this month?
View Quote

I figured this out in my teens.  If you're in charge of printing(or electronically modifying the ledger) the money, who cares how many zeros the note has on it.

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:13:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes.  We know.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:15:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Firearmsenthusiast] [#7]
The debt will never be paid off. It will become invalid when the US collapses.

The interest on our debt is nearly equal to our annual defense budget right now. This is ridiculous, unsustainable, and in no way can ever be paid back. There will be a "national debt" cancelation coming to politics, I mean it's already here with student loans, there will be the same idea with bonds one day.

Neither political party wants to pay it back, they just fight over where all that printed money goes.

Our kids are fucked.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:18:05 AM EDT
[#8]
More debt will be needed.  Gotta pay those Part B benefits.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:22:03 AM EDT
[#9]
You can't prove me wrong. You can't post a credible plan to pay off the national debt.

Our economy is based on debt consumption and it won't stop until it collapses, so everyone kicks the can. How's your 401K doing this month?
View Quote

Most of our debt is owed to ourselves. So how do you pay it back? The dollar will fall to rock bottom and stay there for decades. The rest of the world will be in worse shape. It isn't just the US economy that collapses. All the gold and silver in the world won't save us either. The US holds more gold than all the major countries combined. Don't count on the govt. to give it away. Digital currency will zero out. There will be few banks solvent either. All this is the good news. The really bad news is how are you going to pay for the food people like me grow? We aren't taking cash and gold means nothing. It sucks to return to the stone age.

BTW my 401k is doing great despite Judas Joe, not because of him.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:27:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Who_Me:
Young people who are currently starting their earning careers are most certainly going to be effected.  In my opinion, they're going to be crushed by it.

Observe:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/5352/Capture_JPG-3210841.JPG

Source:  https://budgetmodel.wharton.upenn.edu/issues/2023/10/6/when-does-federal-debt-reach-unsustainable-levels

We should be ashamed of ourselves.  It's embarrassing that we would leave this for our children and grandchildren to clean up.

(Note that 20 years is the "best case scenario".)
View Quote

A significant portion of the membership here doesn’t support modifying/abolishing the most expensive and unconstitutional program that’s ever been.

They’ll talk about a bunch of things that are honestly a drop in the bucket, and ignore the elephant in the room.

Most people don’t give a fuck about the future. They’re literally willing to destroy their descendants future so they can get theirs.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:36:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By sitkashooter:

So people under 40 who become permanently disabled and cannot work should just become beggars on the streets like in 3rd world countries?

I became disabled at 37 when I went paralyzed from GBs. That’s when I went on SSDI.

So Fuck people like me then.

Everyone thinks they have it alllll figured out. 🙄
View Quote

I’m not trying to get into your personal business so feel free to not answer, but I have a few questions.

Are you paralyzed to the point where you literally can’t do anything, or could you be employed in some capacity?

If someone literally cannot work I’d be in favor of helping them somehow, but too many people could work, but they just don’t want to for various reasons.

For example let’s say a person works in construction from 18-30 when they have an accident, and become paralyzed from the waist down. There are lots of things someone like that could do, but no one is going to make them. I get not wanting to learn a completely new skill, but I don’t know if we should be paying their way.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:36:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Chisum] [#12]
Originally Posted By FlashMan-7k:

Gold was a better standard not because Gold has any intrinsic value - nothing created does - gold was a better standard because it forced those using it as a currency to have to adhere to the limits of the physical world.

Once we fully got off of Gold, they could print just as much paper as they wanted.

View Quote

How many depressions and recessions have we had since the Great Depression? Before that, under the Gold and Silver standard, we averaged a depression or recession on average every 3.5 years. That may mean nothing to you, but we had wooden nickels back then too. Most often banks folded like a house of cards. Gold and silver didn't save us one bit. either. The good old days were not as good as you pretend.

Note: If gold was the answer, Spain would be a powerhouse today. It really sucks to be greedy.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:52:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Chisum:

How many depressions and recessions have we had since the Great Depression? Before that, under the Gold and Silver standard, we averaged a depression or recession on average every 3.5 years. That may mean nothing to you, but we had wooden nickels back then too. Most often banks folded like a house of cards. Gold and silver didn't save us one bit. either. The good old days were not as good as you pretend.

Note: If gold was the answer, Spain would be a powerhouse today. It really sucks to be greedy.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Chisum:

The common denominator between Gold standard and post-Gold is fractional reserve banking.  I'm sure you know this, just throwing it out there that FRB is more of a problem than Fiat vs Gold.  Either way, everything will end up being built almost entirely on debt when FRB has very loose restrictions.   It doesn't really matter what you use for currency, someone will always figure out a way to degrade it or loan out more notes than whatever backs it.  It seems to be human nature.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:20:13 AM EDT
[#14]

The common denominator between Gold standard and post-Gold is fractional reserve banking.  
View Quote

We are now past fractional reserve banking and into fictional reserve banking.  We will see the results fairly soon.  On the bright side, the Fed can return to historical settings.  I don't know if this will happen or not however.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:47:26 AM EDT
[#15]

It's possible but nobody would go for it = impossible.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Hesperus:
Oh there's a variety of ways.

But most of them entail measures too horrifying for the average corn syrup fed voter to even begin to comprehend.

That's not impossible, that's unpalatable.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:51:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Step 1 stop deficit spending.

"A bill, henceforth, it will be illegal for Congress, in a given term, to spend more money than it receives in taxes."

Let me know when we get to step one.

Congress doesn't want to do it, because they think they can buy votes.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:51:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By exponentialpi:
More debt will be needed.  Gotta pay those Part B benefits.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/200878/Oooof_PNG-3211505.JPG
View Quote

Or work with the CCP to control that spend (and their voting block nemesis) by releasing another fauci created old people killer.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:54:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Jarcese:

The common denominator between Gold standard and post-Gold is fractional reserve banking.  I'm sure you know this, just throwing it out there that FRB is more of a problem than Fiat vs Gold.  Either way, everything will end up being built almost entirely on debt when FRB has very loose restrictions.   It doesn't really matter what you use for currency, someone will always figure out a way to degrade it or loan out more notes than whatever backs it.  It seems to be human nature.
View Quote

The 1500 era Dutch gold boomers took everything and left us nothing.

Before they ruined it, we used to be able to build a barn in 10-20 generations and maybe an irrigation ditch in several more.

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:55:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Bourbonator:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bourbonator:

But most of them entail measures too horrifying for the average corn syrup fed voter to even begin to comprehend.

I spent 35 years hearing how unpalatable it was too even discuss a border wall and deportation. "it's political suicide, no one with that platform could ever get elected."

Then Trump did it and got elected when it was her turn lol.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:56:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Missilegeek:

"A bill, henceforth, it will be illegal for Congress, in a given term, to spend more money than it receives in taxes."

View Quote

Step one is net taxpayer suffrage. If you want a day in how it's spent you have to pay (net) taxes.

The country could not have been born or survived any of the wars or expansions that made it what it is without occasional deficit spending.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:58:29 AM EDT
[#21]
It will never be paid off in full.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:59:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Imagine having a $100k salaray and having a credit card debt of $140k

That's about the ratio of the current US debt.
$25T GDP
$34.5T Debt
$267k per taxpayer

Shit's never getting paid off.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:59:38 AM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

This, the way of life for the average welfare "worker" would be significantly changed.  

Also.....a bunch of Gov thugs would be learning to follow AI commands and they assemble the robot bodies to take over the world.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:08:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By happycynic:
If you simply freeze spending at current levels for a few years, the deficit problem would go down dramatically. The goal isn't to pay off the debt, the goal is ultimately to create an economy strong enough that the debt isn't an issue.
View Quote

FJB just requested a 7.3T dollar budget...you need to take that time machine back to like 2007 before FBHO gave the banks the bailout and added almost a trillion a year to the budget since then.  

All the dumbass shit we wasted money on needs to go....like congressional pay should eliminated first since they put us in this position, this goes for current and past members that are getting retirement pay.  Then confiscate their investments as they used insider trading to get there.  The go back and see how many of them took bribes and then go after the party that bribed them.

I am still waiting for my Solyndra solar panels to pay off.....
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:09:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Millennial:
Imagine having a $100k salaray and having a credit card debt of $140k

That's about the ratio of the current US debt.
$25T GDP
$34.5T Debt
$267k per taxpayer

Shit's never getting paid off.
View Quote

And you are racking up another $10K each year on the card after spending your $100K to continue maintaining your lifestyle.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:15:53 PM EDT
[#26]

MICE.  They should be paid well.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mikeyb76:
Originally Posted By StaccatoC2:
Sure it could be paid off in 20 years or so, but it would be painful.

Freeze spending, cut all the fluff ( mil cost plus contracts ), cut staffing aka get rid of the useless gov employees, raise taxes a little, and stop neg tax returns. Yes taxes suck but I bet most would be willing to pay an extra 1-2% if they knew it was actually paying down the debt.
No. I don't get to go to my employer and say, "you're going to pay me another 10% because I overspent what I earn." The gov't needs to be cut, drastically. A small drop, but an example, would be the SCOTUS salaries. They're all making $250k+ a year, plus fantastic benefits, and not excluded from payments for books or speaking engagements. Lifetime appointment. Salary is not a perk or a job enticement.

There is no reason why the federal government should be the nation's largest employer.

MICE.  They should be paid well.

I used to think that......when one that doesn't know what a woman is ends up there it kinda change my opinion on the matter though.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:21:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By KA3B:
It's not hard.
Cut spending.
Stop handing out money to everyone.
Raise taxes to specifically pay down the det.
Ask people to pay more than they own to pay down the det.
Cut up the fucking credit cards and deal with it.
View Quote

Until they stop spending my money on bullshit, they won't get an extra dime out of me.  Let me know when the Office of Gun Violence prevention is gone along with a bunch of other bullshit, like the Department of Education and their diversity BS.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:23:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Butternut:
I can't recall exactly, but think I remember - did Slick Willy actually balance the budget when he was in office? Just thinking out loud here honestly, and not with any slant toward political party or whether I liked the guy or not.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Butternut:
I can't recall exactly, but think I remember - did Slick Willy actually balance the budget when he was in office? Just thinking out loud here honestly, and not with any slant toward political party or whether I liked the guy or not.

Newt Gingrich and company — for all their faults — have received virtually no credit for balancing the budget. Yet today’s surplus is, in part, a byproduct of the GOP’s single‐​minded crusade to end 30 years of red ink. Arguably, Gingrich’s finest hour as Speaker came in March 1995 when he rallied the entire Republican House caucus behind the idea of eliminating the deficit within seven years.

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:25:33 PM EDT
[#29]

Step one is net taxpayer suffrage. If you want a day in how it's spent you have to pay (net) taxes.

The country could not have been born or survived any of the wars or expansions that made it what it is without occasional deficit spending.
View All Quotes

Wrong. Sounds like they need a surplus to prepare for rainy days then.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:48:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Thuban] [#30]
Originally Posted By Echd:
We just need to pull ourselves up by our collective bootstraps and ban avocado toast.
View Quote

Essentially true...

We would need to drastically cut all the avocado toast (a metaphor for unnecessary spending) and expect Americans to either start doing productive work or starve. It would still take a couple decades, but we would pay it off.

However the "inherency" argument still wins out. Americans are not willing to do what is needed. The politicians are sure not willing to do what is needed. There is no plan that can overcome this as even if we doubled, tripled, or even quadrupled revenue to the government they would find a way to spend it on something "essential" and still have to borrow even more money as there just wasn't enough money to go around.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 1:43:03 PM EDT
[#31]
A securities sales tax would do it.  Stock, bonds, derivatives sales are about $500 trillion a year, a 1% sales tax would generate about $5 trillion dollars of taxes.  

It would never happen, but it could pay off the debt over time.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 1:46:13 PM EDT
[#32]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RogueSpear2023:
Yep that founding fathers screwed up, one thing they should have put in place was you have to have a balanced budget. Although since we were on the gold standard at the time, they probably never perceived this being a problem in the first place.

Fuck you Richard Nixon, they should have let your commie ass rot in prison.

The problem is that politicians set the value of the gold.  Today $1 an ounce, tomorrow $2 an ounce, you just inflated the money supply by 100%.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 1:50:19 PM EDT
[#33]
No need to pay it off.

The fed reserve 'owns"  more than 50% of the US debt. The fed reserve creates money at will so never needs their capital back and they never get audited so that over 50% is actually an estimations since they never get audited.

It really isn't debt, it is just printed money from thin air.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 1:58:09 PM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes

Gresham law wins again.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 2:03:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By bassador:
A securities sales tax would do it.  Stock, bonds, derivatives sales are about $500 trillion a year, a 1% sales tax would generate about $5 trillion dollars of taxes.  

View Quote

We have more taxes now than is a good thing, for either the individual or the country.  It is a spending problem which needs to be addressed, not a revenue problem.  Taxing some thing means you get less of it.  Less investment means a reduction in GDP growth, which is some thing we do not need.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 3:05:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By grendelbane:

We have more taxes now than is a good thing, for either the individual or the country.  It is a spending problem which needs to be addressed, not a revenue problem.  Taxing some thing means you get less of it.  Less investment means a reduction in GDP growth, which is some thing we do not need.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By grendelbane:

You will never get a politician to reduce spending, so your point is moot.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 3:08:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 3:15:49 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

Correct.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 3:26:58 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

You will never solve the problem of increasing debt by increasing taxation.  So your point is also moot. Or, moot².
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 3:35:29 PM EDT
[#40]
What we really need is more GLADIATORS!!!

⚔️⚒️🪓💀
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:00:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Scoobysmak:

FJB just requested a 7.3T dollar budget...you need to take that time machine back to like 2007 before FBHO gave the banks the bailout and added almost a trillion a year to the budget since then.  

All the dumbass shit we wasted money on needs to go....like congressional pay should eliminated first since they put us in this position, this goes for current and past members that are getting retirement pay.  Then confiscate their investments as they used insider trading to get there.  The go back and see how many of them took bribes and then go after the party that bribed them.

I am still waiting for my Solyndra solar panels to pay off.....
View Quote

Some of you guys are delusional. Sure fuck congress just on general principle, but how much do you think that will actually save?

Some people want to focus on insignificant spending, and complain while ignoring the most expensive and egregious programs.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:05:08 PM EDT
[#42]
You would have a very bare bones government and eliminate all of the leech programs and foreign aid. I don't think it will happen.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:20:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:54:25 PM EDT
[#44]
It's not impossible, but it will mean replacing city, county, state and federal employee with people who are receiving government assistance. Putting the prison population to work. Eliminating virtually every public program other than law enforcement, border security, the military and infrastructure maintenance.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:58:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Ben:

There is *a* way. It just is not palpable to the media, politicians, or the public at large.

War should pay for itself, while making your nation (not just a select few within your nation) wealthy in the process.

We could eliminate the majority of our debt by subjugation of our competitors and extraction of protection monies from them in the future. We are going to fight them one way or another,  so we might as well actually go imperialist and make something from it beyond maintaining the status quo.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ben:

There is *a* way. It just is not palpable to the media, politicians, or the public at large.

War should pay for itself, while making your nation (not just a select few within your nation) wealthy in the process.

We could eliminate the majority of our debt by subjugation of our competitors and extraction of protection monies from them in the future. We are going to fight them one way or another,  so we might as well actually go imperialist and make something from it beyond maintaining the status quo.

There's millions of incredible ways, I agree.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:59:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:
It's not impossible, but it will mean replacing city, county, state and federal employee with people who are receiving government assistance. Putting the prison population to work. Eliminating virtually every public program other than law enforcement, border security, the military and infrastructure maintenance.
View Quote

And it it credibly possible to do so?
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:35:08 PM EDT
[#47]

And it it credibly possible to do so?
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:51:55 PM EDT
[#48]
It’s clear a lot of folks have never looked at the income statement for the Treasury.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:52:38 PM EDT
[#49]

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:48:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Not only is the debt never going to be paid down but we will never have a balanced budget, ever.

Personally I believe this nation will never run an annual deficit of less than a trillion dollars, perhaps a trillion and half, and that is only if someone gets in the WH who just says we have to introduce a little bit of sanity to this.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top