Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/25/2024 2:22:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mooseless]
https://www.thebaltimorebanner.com/education/k-12-schools/eric-eiswert-ai-audio-baltimore-county-YBJNJAS6OZEE5OQVF5LFOFYN6M/

Ex-athletic director framed principal with AI-generated voice, police say

The principal of Pikesville High School was investigated after audio purporting to be his voice circulated on social media. Police have charged the former athletic director who they say faked the recording.

Baltimore County Police arrested Pikesville High School’s former athletic director Thursday morning and charged him with using artificial intelligence to impersonate Principal Eric Eiswert, leading the public to believe Eiswert made racist and antisemitic comments behind closed doors.

Dazhon Darien, 31, was charged with disrupting school activities, after investigators determined Darien faked Eiswert’s voice and circulated the audio on social media in January, according to the Baltimore County State’s Attorney’s Office. Darien’s nickname, DJ, was among the names mentioned in the audio clips he allegedly faked.

“The audio clip ... had profound repercussions,” police wrote in charging documents. “It not only led to Eiswert’s temporary removal from the school but also triggered a wave of hate-filled messages on social media and numerous calls to the school. The recording also caused significant disruptions for the PHS staff and students.”

He is also charged with theft and retaliating against a witness, related to alleged illicit payments he made to a school athletics coach, as well as stalking, prosecutors said.

Darien was allowed release on $5,000 bond and waived an attorney at an initial court appearance, according to court records.

Baltimore County Police Chief Robert McCullough, County Executive Johnny Olszewski, and School Superintendent Myriam Rogers announced a 1:30 pm press conference to discuss the case.

Listen to the audio here:

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:25:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Mooseless:

Darien was allowed release on $5,000 bond and waived an attorney at an initial court appearance, according to court records.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:25:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh damn that's bad.  Even though proved false, the damage is already done.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:27:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Interdasting.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:29:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Interesting case and I’m curious how/why it was even investigated.  

How did they prove it was faked?

Guessing the principal has some clout with the cops
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:32:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd sue the cocksucker for his last nickel. Defamation, slander, whatever it takes
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:33:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: governmentman] [#6]
Hilarious that the first high profile case of this is a black guy framing a white guy for racism.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:34:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I have learned over the years, with certain people, you always have more than one person in the room.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:34:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JimEb:

View Quote

That was my question too.

I’ve always thought AI could destroy civilization but I always figured it would be through superintelligence. I am now fairly certain it will be this sort of thing, used to tear it apart and remake it instead.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:39:32 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Apparently the dumbass used the school internet.

From the article
Police wrote in charging documents that Darien had accessed the school’s network on multiple occasions in December and January searching for OpenAI tools, and used “Large Language Models” that practice “deep learning, which involves pulling in vast amounts of data from various sources on the internet, can recognize text inputted by the user, and produce conversational results.” They also connected Darien to an email account that had distributed the recording.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:46:10 PM EDT
[#10]
People believe their ears and idle threats are especially seductive because everyone's been "wronged"
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:47:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd take every last cent he could ever make.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:49:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Question is, will he be charged with a hate crime? Making up a narrative because there was not one.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:50:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By governmentman:
Hilarious that the first high profile case of this is a black guy framing a white guy for racism.
View Quote

No one saw that coming!
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:51:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Predictions...

Dazhon has to find a job at a different MD county school and misd. probation.   Principal gets passed over for promotion and retires wondering why he still gets treated like a racist.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:51:29 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

Lets be honest about this. How many news stories about "racism" turns out to be false, made up or way blown out of proportion?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:56:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Was his ass not black?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:57:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By -daddy:

Lets be honest about this. How many news stories about "racism" turns out to be false, made up or way blown out of proportion?
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:20:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlashMan-7k] [#18]
Welcome to the age of photoshop for audio.

You will no longer be able to be sure of the audio because it sounds and speaks like the person it's said to be of.

ETA: I expect that in law you will no longer be able to use audio recordings as evidence without also having to prove it's not faked.

Any decent defense lawyer will bring a laptop to court, record someone in the courtroom talking and have the AI replicate their voice and make them say illegal stuff, and than play that back for the court.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:29:15 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

Pretty standard really:

https://fakehatecrimes.org/
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:32:25 PM EDT
[#20]
This is another case where the details have been kept pretty quiet, but another thing that sort of tipped investigators off is that there was allegedly a third party involved in the conversation, and she probably told the cops that she didn't remember that kind of language used.

Also, there were some things in the audio that just sounded kind of weird (phasing, etc.).
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:32:38 PM EDT
[#21]

I’ve always thought AI could destroy civilization but I always figured it would be through superintelligence. I am now fairly certain it will be this sort of thing, used to tear it apart and remake it instead.
View All Quotes

I wonder if AI will be able to call your cell phone and impersonate someone you know, and convince you to do something illegal or dangerous, or tell you to be at a certain place at a certain time and trick another person into killing you for some made-up reason - like convince him that you were nailing his wife, or something.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:32:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By FlashMan-7k:

You will no longer be able to be sure of the audio because it sounds and speaks like the person it's said to be of.

ETA: I expect that in law you will no longer be able to use audio recordings as evidence without also having to prove it's not faked.

Any decent defense lawyer will bring a laptop to court, record someone in the courtroom talking and have the AI replicate their voice and make them say illegal stuff, and than play that back for the court.
View Quote

Slightly off topic, the bold is a good reason to have "safe words" with those in your circle of family and friends in the event of something catastrophic happening.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:35:22 PM EDT
[#23]

I've always thought AI could destroy civilization but I always figured it would be through superintelligence. I am now fairly certain it will be this sort of thing, used to tear it apart and remake it instead.
View Quote
If we're going to have a separate category for "hate crimes" then punishment for fakes and false accusations should be extreme.
death penalty should be on the table.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:42:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By right_rudder:
If we're going to have a separate category for "hate crimes" then punishment for fakes and false accusations should be extreme.
View All Quotes

I've always thought AI could destroy civilization but I always figured it would be through superintelligence. I am now fairly certain it will be this sort of thing, used to tear it apart and remake it instead.

At the very least, the punishment for falsifying accusations should be equivalent to or greater than the punishment for the accused crime.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:43:25 PM EDT
[#25]
View All Quotes

Nah.

This one is easy.

You get the penalty the person you accused would have gotten, execept it's the maximum allowable for that penalty.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:45:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gunner226] [#26]

View Quote

Exactly. The fact that the cops even looked into this is proof that they are corrupt, am I right?

Because no criminal has ever been arrested for a crime unless the victim had some corrupt influence on the police department.

This is clearly a government attack on our rights. Or something.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:50:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By C3H5N3O9:

At the very least, the punishment for falsifying accusations should be equivalent to or greater than the punishment for the accused crime.
View All Quotes

2X sounds like a good start. We want to punish bad behavior right? Sounds like good incentive to me.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:53:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Jussie Smollet 2.0

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:53:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Mustangfan:
I have learned over the years, with certain people, you always have more than one person in the room.
View Quote

How will that help, if the entire recording is fabricated?

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:00:35 PM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

Nah.

This one is easy.

You get the penalty the person you accused would have gotten, execept it's the maximum allowable for that penalty.
View Quote

Originally Posted By black_dog:

2X sounds like a good start. We want to punish bad behavior right? Sounds like good incentive to me.
View Quote

All of those are good ideas but I stand by my statement.

You pull some shit that cases St. Floyd level of riots and cities burn. Or a hands up don't shoot and weeks of bad shit happens, damn straight death penalty.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:02:27 PM EDT
[#31]
This is simple economics. The supply of racism is not adequate to meet the demand.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:02:53 PM EDT
[#32]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By beitodesstrafe:

https://us-tuna-sounds-images.voicemod.net/339d60ed-7346-4ee6-af0e-a2d3c7837a0f-1686281543785.jpg

That just means he waived court appointed counsel and will likely be retaining his own. You waive counsel at inquiry if you want a private attorney to represent you or if you want to represent yourself.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:05:26 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

I would imagine that a shift to two party agreements for recordings will take place.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:20:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Young Hank Williams sings Straight out of Compton
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:30:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Break him on the wheel on the school's football field as a warning to others.

For context.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:42:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Glad the truth came out but unfortunately the Baltimore DA will surely drop the case later on once the heat is off for "reasons".
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:43:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Not enough racism to go around so the dip shit had to make some. It was all done so it could bring attention to all the racism in the USA. /sarc
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:57:35 PM EDT
[#38]
can we get side by side pics of both the vic and the perp?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:07:16 PM EDT
[#39]

Slightly off topic, the bold is a good reason to have "safe words" with those in your circle of family and friends in the event of something catastrophic happening.
View All Quotes

Terminator: - TSCC "It's Derek"
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:17:11 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

I never really thought about this, but that is going to change the way courts go forward.  That specific example would REALLY have an impact on a jury.  

The defense could do that without telling them and in closing arguments, remind them that anything can be faked now, and play the recording.  Damn.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:30:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By brownbomber:

I wonder if AI will be able to call your cell phone and impersonate someone you know, and convince you to do something illegal or dangerous, or tell you to be at a certain place at a certain time and trick another person into killing you for some made-up reason - like convince him that you were nailing his wife, or something.
View All Quotes

Already happening.

https://www.ksdk.com/article/news/investigations/st-louis-county-man-targeted-by-ai-scam-that-impersonated-his-daughters-voice/63-e13905d9-a76e-4b5c-8357-3926a036ae04  

Too much exposure that’s available for anyone  is a bad thing.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:32:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Dazhon Darien needs to be prohibited from working in positions of public trust in the future.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:37:59 PM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

https://apnews.com/article/biden-robocalls-artificial-intelligence-new-hampshire-texas-a8665277d43d05380d2c7594edf27617

CONCORD, N.H. (AP) — Authorities issued cease-and-desist orders against two Texas companies they believe were connected to robocalls that used artificial intelligence to mimic President Joe Biden’s voice and discourage people from voting in New Hampshire’s first-in-the-nation primary last month.

The calls falsely showed up to recipients as coming from the personal cellphone number of Kathy Sullivan, a former state Democratic Party chair who helps run Granite for America, a super PAC that supported the Biden write-in campaign. Formella said at least 10 people who received the calls then called Sullivan.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:39:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By WaylonLemmyJohnny:
I'd sue the cocksucker for his last nickel. Defamation, slander, whatever it takes
View Quote

I'd bankrupt him and starve his family.  Fuck that guy.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:53:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Imagine when the government starts AI generating evidence against people when they get ready to for the gulag stage. Or just AI generates charging documents from masses of already collected data
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:17:32 PM EDT
[#46]

All of those are good ideas but I stand by my statement.

You pull some shit that cases St. Floyd level of riots and cities burn. Or a hands up don't shoot and weeks of bad shit happens, damn straight death penalty.
View Quote

This is exactly what I was referring to when I said tear society apart and remake it. The potential for provoking riots and similar violence and using it to implement legislation or whatever is enormous.

Even more insidious is the level of distrust this sort of thing will engender. When you literally can’t believe anything you see or hear societal breakup will escalate. We’ve already seen what happens when you let low-trust people into a high-trust society. AI like this will mean there’ll be no such thing as a high-trust society anywhere.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:20:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By 9divdoc:
can we get side by side pics of both the vic and the perp?
View Quote

Vic:

Perp:

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:42:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Razzman1] [#48]
I sat in an hour long primer class on this very topic. The instructor was a subject matter expert from Miami PD and is world renowned for his investigations into criminal use of AI.

What he said, was truly startling. Basically, if you weren’t standing face-to-face with the person, you can’t trust a video or audio recording. Period.

There have already been numerous crimes, committed utilizing this technology, and it is very difficult to prove and very easy for the criminals to get away with.  The instructor said it only takes about 10 to 20 seconds worth of your voice ( from wherever—phone call, YouTube video you were in, speech you gave at a wedding) for the AI to learn enough to make an audio clip of whatever the creator wants you to say.

He advised that it is growing exponentially by the day, with more and more language models being created faster than they can be tracked. Truly scary.

He said, the only real hope at this instant is to use AI to help determine if the creation was done by AI.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:19:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By mpdphil:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YhRO7ezEJE
View Quote

Not even a good fake.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:22:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top