Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2023 2:03:40 PM EDT
I have a 2016 wrangler 4 door with a Rough Country 3.5” lift. Rode like the axles were welded to the frame, so I replaced the shocks with some Rubicon Express shocks. That helped, but it’s still not great. I am now looking at replacing the coil springs so that it rides smoother yet. I am considering Rubicon Express or Teraflex. Wondering if anyone else has either of these, or has replaced Rough Country garbage with something better.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 3:34:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I have used RE Super Flex, EVO Plush Ride, AEV HD, and Teraflex Outbacks on my JK's.  What I have found to work best is going to first look at your normal driving habits and the abnormal thing your JP does for you - rock crawling, mud dragging, forest road bombing, overlanding, pavement DDing.  After that look at your normal weight (DD) and your weight when your in the abnormal driving condition (loaded like a semi for overlanding).  

Once you know that you can really dial in what you're trying to do.  The easy answer is coils, shocks, control arm angle and control arm end material really all determine ride quality.  A rubber control arm end will give you a better ride vs a  poly end.  But it will be prone to stretch, warp and tear if you rock crawl.  Shocls that are plush when you are empty and DDing won't dampen a thing when you load out +1000 lbs for the big 3 week overlanding trip.  Etc, etc.

Front and rear bumpers, winch, tire carrier, sliders, armor, fridge, drawers, etc.  It all adds up.  

To answer your question more directly, my RE rubber bushing control arms, RE springs and Rancho adjustable shocks have been as near factory ride as I've seen on a JKU with the standard stuff done to it that sees some weekend rock crawling, daily driving, and trail bombing.   Loaded for a trip the rear sags and it gets pitchy in the curves.  The EVO suspension paired with adjustable Ranchos is noticeably sharper on the highway at bridge transitions but not brutal.  But off road the flex is insane.  The Teraflex and AEVE coils with adjustable shocks are brutal if I'm not loaded for overlanding, but plush once I get close to the 800-1000 lbs extra weight mark.  I'm about to try a set of Teraflex Alpine IR control arms which are a combo of flex and factory rubber style bushing.  

Link Posted: 2/12/2023 6:24:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Ha! The closest this thing comes to rock climbing is driving over basketballs in the garage. I drive about 5k suburban miles per year.
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 10:51:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By tawaggs:
I have a 2016 wrangler 4 door with a Rough Country 3.5” lift. Rode like the axles were welded to the frame, so I replaced the shocks with some Rubicon Express shocks. That helped, but it’s still not great. I am now looking at replacing the coil springs so that it rides smoother yet. I am considering Rubicon Express or Teraflex. Wondering if anyone else has either of these, or has replaced Rough Country garbage with something better.
View Quote

I was thinking about replacing my Rubicon shit with rough country. It’s too soft and floaty feeling. I’m running 2 1/2” lift with Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks.

I was thinking of going to a short arm kit instead of the spring lifts. But I’m in pastures every day and not on the road. Maybe I need to look at the Rancho short arm kit? I have heard your ball joints last longer with the short arm kits.
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 7:35:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe take a look at metal cloak  true dual, dual rate setup.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 11:06:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Wish I could help.  I went the opposite direction with Old Man Emu heavy load springs.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 7:22:23 AM EDT
[#6]
What size tires?

what are you doing with it ?

Link Posted: 2/16/2023 8:11:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By tawaggs:
View Quote

What part of Rough in Rough Country don't you understand?
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 8:18:16 AM EDT
[#8]
If you have bigger tires try backing off on air pressure. On my 35s I ran 28psi on my 37s 24psi. Google chalk test
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 10:57:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By prossound:
If you have bigger tires try backing off on air pressure. On my 35s I ran 28psi on my 37s 24psi. Google chalk test
View Quote

28 psi seems to be the sweet spot. That’s what I run in my 35 Hankook’s. Never played with 37’s.

My wife’s Ford Ranger with the Rough Country lift rides better than the factory FX4 suspension. But we went with the better V2 shock option. I realize the Ford Ranger lift is a completely different animal than the wrangler lift. My buddy has a TJ with Rough Country lift and Fox shocks that rides great on the highway. But I haven’t been really off road in it either. He’s running 17” x 33’s.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 9:56:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Metalcloak and don't look back.

Get yourself the 2.5 Gamechanger with their red shocks and all 8 control arms and track bars.

Worth double their cost....
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 7:20:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Rough Country doesn't exactly have a reputation for quality products or a smooth ride.  

For coils, I'd look at Rock Krawler or Clayton.  My XJ had Claytons up front and that thing rode great.  I've got Metalcloak Gamechanger on the JLU and it rides better than stock (more controlled and not so floaty) but it has a noticeable lean to it.  Gas tank on JLUs is on the passenger side.  Every lift except Metalcloak has specific coils for each corner, but Metalcloak only has front and rear.  I plan on switching over to one of the other brands I mentioned at some point.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 7:23:52 AM EDT
[#12]
I have Rock Krawler triple rates with Falcon shocks and they ride amazing.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 11:07:21 AM EDT
[#13]
OP I'd go with Metal Cloak control arms/track bars. But look for linear springs vs dual/triple rate springs. Those are springs with coils designed to stack-up on each other. I've had both. Not a rock crawler and don't need to max droop, etc. Linear coil springs are best for daily drivers IMO. Teraflex makes linear springs iirc. The Metal Cloak bushings are the best for a daily driver IMO.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 10:19:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By slack_out:
OP I'd go with Metal Cloak control arms/track bars. But look for linear springs vs dual/triple rate springs. Those are springs with coils designed to stack-up on each other. I've had both. Not a rock crawler and don't need to max droop, etc. Linear coil springs are best for daily drivers IMO. Teraflex makes linear springs iirc. The Metal Cloak bushings are the best for a daily driver IMO.
View Quote

While this thread is a year old, I agree with this comment. I have a 3.5" Metal Cloak Lift on my '16 JKUR, and with 35" tires, it rides almost as good as stock with 31" tires.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 4:38:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Good suggestions above- Clayton, MC, RK.  I'll also toss out Synergy.  I went with their +4" springs to replace my Teraflex springs and have been really happy with them.  Multirate rides better and I think they hold weight a LOT better.  For now anyway.  I've got maybe 5k on them so far, including several wheeling trips.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 8:17:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By TVille:

While this thread is a year old, I agree with this comment. I have a 3.5" Metal Cloak Lift on my '16 JKUR, and with 35" tires, it rides almost as good as stock with 31" tires.
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top