Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2024 3:00:37 PM EDT
Which is a more reliable engine and why? I'm in the market for a different jeep. I know the 3.6 has more power. Thanks
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 4:55:06 PM EDT
[#1]
prob similar with reliability.  Each one has it's issues that will require a lot of money to fix.  Burning oil on 3.8 and valve issues on 3.6
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 5:57:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Some older 3.6l pentastar engines had issues with casting sand not being cleaned out properly, those issues should have been long corrected though.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 6:18:48 PM EDT
[#3]
3.6L is better but it's far from problem free, especially 2012-2014.

I just sold my 2012 off as it was just a matter of time before another valve issue happened and it's now outside
of Jeep's extended 10-year warranty.

The general belief is that the 3.6L was more reliable and a better engine due to that and more power.

While the 3.6L has valve and rocker problems, the 3.8L had oil consumption and manifold cracking issues and
they seemed to happen more often than the 3.6L's issues do.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 7:10:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtRifle] [#4]
Some Jeep people believe the 3.8 is more reliable but power sucks.  The 3.6 has more power but is less reliable.  

I haven't owned either so am not speaking from experience.  Just repeating what I've been told.  My Jeep has a 4.0
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 7:27:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ColtRifle:
Some Jeep people believe the 3.8 is more reliable but power sucks.  The 3.6 has more power but is less reliable.  

I haven't owned either so am not speaking from experience.  Just repeating what I've been told.  My Jeep has a 4.0
View Quote
I have no experience with the 3.6l or 3.8l engines. I had great luck with the 3.7l engine in my 2002 Liberty though. And it's hard to go wrong with the inline 4.0l
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 9:23:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: _DR] [#6]
Depends on when the 3.6 was made. Later 3.6L engines have the bugs worked out and make almost 300 HP.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 10:37:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By _DR:

Depends on when the 3.6 was made. Later 3.6L engines have the bugs worked out and make almost 300 HP.
View Quote

While I do believe the engine is better than is was, not sure the bugs are really worked out. Main one I’m aware of is the oil cooler/filter assembly. Luckily, it’s easy to find the all aluminum one to replace the factory garbage one. But, as far as I know FCA is still using the plastic oil cooler assemblies in the 3.6.

Honestly, it’s a decent engine from what I understand but still with a few flaws.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 11:07:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Dunno about the 3.6, when I got my jeep, I specifically looked at only the 3.8's.

Less computer bullshit, and easier to rip out when I get around to repowering.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 11:19:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Hemi
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 9:36:29 AM EDT
[#10]
I’ve owned both. The 3.6 was way more enjoyable to drive but the 3.8 doesn’t make enough power to hurt its self. I have seen 3.8s pushing 300k miles
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 9:51:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 11:18:43 AM EDT
[#12]
I have not heard much about the oil pump itself being problematic in the 3.6 engines.

I have owned a 2015 JKU with the 3.6 for almost 7 years now and it has nearly 130,000 miles on it. I specifically wanted the 3.6 because the additional power and the 5 speed automatic transmission makes driving much more enjoyable.

I kind of wanted to avoid the 2012 and 2013 model years as the first couple of years of the 3.6 in the JK had casting issues with at least one of the cylinder heads.

Outside of that, in my experience, the 3 main Achilles heels of the 3.6 are:

• Valvetrain. Specifically the rocker arms. The roller bearing in them can fail, they then seize up and start eating into the camshaft lobe. This first manifests itself as a tapping noise that gets worse over time. If you catch it early you could probably get away with replacing just the rocker, but most of the time the cam is damaged, too. As long as you are that far into the engine, you might as well replace both camshafts and all of the rockers and lifters on that side of the engine. I have now replaced all 4 camshafts and all of the associated rockers and lifters.

• The oil filter housing. Mine seems to be doing okay. But it sounds like it’s a matter if when, not if. I have the aluminum aftermarket one sitting on a shelf. I meant to proactively replace it when I did the driver side camshafts last year, but I ran up against a hard deadline and had to button the engine back up and get going.

• Thermostat. Don’t use aftermarket ones. A few years ago my stock one failed in the open position. The engine just ran cooler until I got an error code that it wasn’t warming up fast enough. Couldn’t find an OEM one at the time so I used one from AutoZone. Then last summer it failed in the closed position and the Jeep started overheating while I was out of town in 90-100 degree heat. Again, couldn’t find an OEM at any of the Jeep dealers where I was, so back to AutoZone to at least get home. I recently noticed that Rock Auto had one OEM thermostat in stock, so I included it in my order and installed it. Will keep an eye out for another one to have as a backup. The damn things are in perpetual backorder.

Link Posted: 3/18/2024 12:39:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Anyone that bought a 3.8 just as a toy I'm interested if you were disappointed.

Wife and I miss having a Jeep, considering looking for used first gen JK 4 doors. Not a daily driver.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 1:28:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I had an 08 unlimited with the 3.8 and the only issues I ever had was a water pump and driver side exhaust manifold cracked.

That being said I always told myself my next one will have the 3.6 just for more power, but truthfully if your just driving it the 3.8 worked.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 10:46:57 PM EDT
[#15]
I’ve driven both back to back since I had to fix both for a customer. 3.8 is just a plain dog. Like it had no power what so ever. Get the 3.6 and it if ever comes down to it, just get it fixed.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 10:55:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Ivan1:
I’ve driven both back to back since I had to fix both for a customer. 3.8 is just a plain dog. Like it had no power what so ever. Get the 3.6 and it if ever comes down to it, just get it fixed.
View Quote

My 4.0 is a dog too considering the displacement. But it still puts a smile on my face when I drive it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 10:56:02 PM EDT
[#17]
My exes dads 2018 Wrangler (even when new) smelled of coolant, think it was the 3.8

I loved the old 4.0
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 11:42:32 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a 2016 3.6.

Had a rocker arm bearing go at 105k miles.  It started ticking as i left on a 4500 mile trip.  It made it through the trip, but did kill the cam lobe.  Replaced that cam and all the rockers.  All the other rockers were fine.  If I had fixed it as soon as i heard the click, im pretty sure i could have saved the $300 cam.

Oem radiators suck and will leak just enough to smell.  Went through 2 factory ones, but the $70 china one works great.

Plastic oil filter housing leaked at 102k.  Replaced with a metal one.

Had the oem stat stick open, replaced with a orielly one and had higher temps under load issues.  Shop diagnosed it as just the temp sensor, but it turned out the cheap replacement plastic housing had distorted and kept it from fully opening.

These are more problems than any other modern car I have owned.  No engineerings defects, just shitty parts QC.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 11:24:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Ef4life:
Hemi
View Quote

this is the way
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 2:36:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtRifle] [#20]
I have no idea if this is a good mod or a pointless one but found this video looking for something else and thought of this thread. Makes sense it could benefit the engine.

STOP Dry Starting your Pentastar 3.6!!

Cartridge Filter draining out VS oil retention after installing Baxter Performance Device.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 5:18:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AJE] [#21]
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 5:53:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Hmmm, none of you guys with the 3.8 had any fuel injector issues? I owned a 2008 from new and had four injectors fail over the 12 years I had it. Been driving a low mileage 3.6L I stumbled on and traded for couple years back.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 7:26:02 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

Get rid of the craptacular oem power cables, and the 3.8 is a whole different kettle of fish.

Makes any of the gimmicky pedal modifiers redundant.

It's still a low horsepower engine with the torque range way too high in the RPM band, but at least it runs right.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 7:27:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Orrin:
Hmmm, none of you guys with the 3.8 had any fuel injector issues? I owned a 2008 from new and had four injectors fail over the 12 years I had it. Been driving a low mileage 3.6L I stumbled on and traded for couple years back.
View Quote

My early '07 is still going on the original injectors, 132k miles.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 9:06:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By DragonZord69:
My exes dads 2018 Wrangler (even when new) smelled of coolant, think it was the 3.8

I loved the old 4.0
View Quote

Pretty sure an '18 would be the 3.6L pentastar... it was used from '12.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 8:43:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By elmidgeto:

Get rid of the craptacular oem power cables, and the 3.8 is a whole different kettle of fish.

It's still a low horsepower engine with the torque range way too high in the RPM band, but at least it runs right.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By elmidgeto:

Not sure what you mean by "power cables" in this context?

I drove a friend's 3.8 JK, since you mentioned the pedal modifier, the impression I got when driving it was the OEM throttle curve was very lethargic. Would drive me absolutely nuts if I owned it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 4:38:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By JackRebney:

Not sure what you mean by "power cables" in this context?

I drove a friend's 3.8 JK, since you mentioned the pedal modifier, the impression I got when driving it was the OEM throttle curve was very lethargic. Would drive me absolutely nuts if I owned it.
View Quote

The cables from the battery to the fuse block, battery to the starter, alternator to battery, replacement fusible link, engine to frame ground, battery negative to body ground. I also added an alternator ground o battery negative, and a couple short pieces to run dual batteries in parallel.

The OEM wiring is 10ga, the new cables I put in were 1/0, probably overkill but it wasn't that much more than 2ga, and still cheaper than the OEM harness.

If I knew how much better that the Jeep would run afterwards, I'd have done it a lot sooner, rather than waiting for the alternator to go out and start zorching all the ground switched electronics.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 6:19:00 AM EDT
[#28]
I've had 8 trouble free years with my 2016. I think that's the 3.6?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:36:21 AM EDT
[#29]
The 3.6 is a very good motor that had some early production issues. Once those were sorted out it's been a very reliable engine. It also makes good power, definitely preferable to the 3.8 which was a decent motor for it's time all things considered.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:24:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:15:07 PM EDT
[#31]
If you are going to look at something old enough to have the 3.8, just go a bit older with a TJ and get the 4.0L straight 6.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top