Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2024 2:26:34 PM EDT
Last year oil changed in July, ridden 5-10 hours after. Should I do an oil change now or at end of season? 2019 with 30 total hours on it
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:27:54 PM EDT
[#1]
both!  jk. whatever manual suggests, but i recall for boats they suggest oil change at season end before you store/winterize.

cant be too bad to do yourself & cheap insurance.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:29:56 PM EDT
[#2]
End of season. Get all moisture and fuel out of the crankcase before winter storage
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:30:54 PM EDT
[#3]
End 100%
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:38:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gtfoxy] [#4]
I went through this discussion with the dealer I purchased my boat from.

Took it in last year for winterizing because I was having some warranty work (otherwise I would have done it myself). I specifically told them NOT to change the oil. I get a call when it was done & asked the total & come to find out they did it anyway. When pressed on why they said “ we saw you were close to the engine break-in oil change period, so we went ahead & did it.” I was not happy.

The main reason is I trust anyone doing anything to my engines as far as I can throw them & I wanted to make sure the best synthetics were going to be used. The additional reason was oil degrades over time & just sitting in the engine over a long cold winter, then being used through the season, doesn't sit well with me on a nearly new engine. I may be splitting hairs, but I don’t care.

Engine oil is the lifeblood of an engine & is a far more important factor, especially in a modern engine, than people realize.

I’ll be changing it again soon.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:39:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Similar situation, but my pleasure vehicle is a RZR.

I change the fluids close to the end of riding season.

My trails close in December, and I don't want to wait for it to get cold, So I do my service towards the last "nice days" in the fall.  Recently it's still in the 60's in the beginning of winter lately.

My reason, I don't want to wait until the season starts to get everything ready. Sometimes its cooler in the spring, or the rain keeps me inside. If a nice day comes along, I'm able to hit the trails. Don't have to worry about oil changes, etc.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:55:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Glock63] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By gtfoxy:
I went through this discussion with the dealer I purchased my boat from.

Took it in last year for winterizing because I was having some warranty work (otherwise I would have done it myself). I specifically told them NOT to change the oil. I get a call when it was done & asked the total & come to find out they did it anyway. When pressed on why they said “ we saw you were close to the engine break-in oil change period, so we went ahead & did it.” I was not happy.

The main reason is I trust anyone doing anything to my engines as far as I can throw them & I wanted to make sure the best synthetics were going to be used. The additional reason was oil degrades over time & just sitting in the engine over a long cold winter, then being used through the season, doesn't sit well with me on a nearly new engine. I may be splitting hairs, but I don’t care.

Engine oil is the lifeblood of an engine & is a far more important factor, especially in a modern engine, than people realize.

I’ll be changing it again soon.

View Quote

Engine oil should be changed before storage, period. Used oil becomes acid and contains byproducts of combustion that are corrosive to bearings and other soft metals in your engine.  Your new engine oil isn't suffering any significant degradation sitting in the crankcase over winter.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:54:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I have always done the oil change for our Sea Doos in the fall as part of the winterization process.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:59:40 PM EDT
[#8]
The oil goes in the gas on all of mine.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:24:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 21usernamechecksout] [#9]
This stuff is the cat's ass! "Sea-doo lube"

Hose EVERYTHING down in the engine compartment with it when you winterize.
I even removed the spark plugs to fog the cylinders, then reinstall the plugs.
Eta: change the oil @ winterization.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top