Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2024 1:27:19 PM EDT
I am looking for information on Job that goes into his life and actions after his tribulation and God's restoration of his fortunes.  

Generally, it seems like most books stop with a "and they lived happily ever after" version right about there, but I was listening to a sermon where he went into the life of Job in later years and detailed some pretty ghastly things he did and became.  Effectively, Job was a pretty bad person later in life...

Is there any research or documentation on the life of Job after the sunday school version was over?
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 2:32:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I can find no writings in the Orthodox Church that indicate he was anything other than a blameless and upright man.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 6:08:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Referring to the infallible word of God as the “Sunday school version”.

Have you checked your Talmud?
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 6:17:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FennRx:
Referring to the infallible word of God as the “Sunday school version”.

Have you checked your Talmud?
View Quote

By sunday school version, I mean the generic simplified version that is taught to kids in sunday school.  Its not an insult.  We all know the basic story of Job and it has been covered over and over...usually in sunday school from about the time we were all 5 years old.  

I am asking about source material for the life of Job after he was restored by God.  I don't know where to find it and everything I can find online is...the sunday school generic child like version that is written in a simplified way to appeal to those seeking a basic understanding of the story.  We are beyond that and I am seeking source material beyond that level.

For example...depending on your interpretation, the events of the story happened relatively early in his life.  He allegedly lived to around 180 years or so, depending on your interpretation of Biblical time.  That means, he lived at least 100 years after his tribulation.  So...what did he do during that time?  

Link Posted: 2/22/2024 7:57:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Anastasios] [#4]
According to St. John Chrysostom, the exiled Jews in Egypt included the section Job 42:18-22, (as found in The Orthodox Study Bible), because they knew they would soon return to Jerusalem, "and desiring this, they could find in the history of Job a significant brazier with which to rekindle their piety"

Job 42:18-22
18It is written that he will rise with those whom the Lord resurrects.

19This man is described in the Syriac book as living in the land of Ausitis, on the borders of Edom and Arabia. Previously his name was Jobab. 20He took an Arabian wife and begot a son named Ennon. But he himself was the Son of his father Zare, one of the sons of Esau, and of his mother, Bosorra. Thus, he was the fifth son from Abraham.

21Now these were the kings who reigned in Edom, over which country he also ruled. First, there was Balak the son of Beor, and the name of his city was Dennaba. But after Balak, there was Jobab, who is called Job. After him, there was Asom, who was ruler out of the country of Teman. After him, there was Adad the son of Barad, who destroyed Midian in the plain of Moab; and the name of his city was Gethaim. 22Now his friends who came to him were: Eliphaz, of the children of Esau, king of the Temanites; Bildad, ruler of the Shuhites; and Zophar, king of the Minians.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 11:08:58 AM EDT
[#5]
No.  There is no account of Job's life beyond the book of Job.

I don't know what to say about the sermon you heard.  Either the speaker spoke out of turn or you're misremembering.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 11:28:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gullskjegg] [#6]
Originally Posted By FedDC:
I am looking for information on Job that goes into his life and actions after his tribulation and God's restoration of his fortunes.  

Generally, it seems like most books stop with a "and they lived happily ever after" version right about there, but I was listening to a sermon where he went into the life of Job in later years and detailed some pretty ghastly things he did and became.  Effectively, Job was a pretty bad person later in life...

Is there any research or documentation on the life of Job after the sunday school version was over?
View Quote

Job 42:17  So Job died, being old and full of days

"47. In Holy Scripture a person is not easily recorded as ‘full of days,’ unless he is one whose conduct is praised in the same Scripture. For he is in truth void of days, who, even if he has lived ever so long, has wasted the time of his life in vanity. But he, on the other hand, is said to be ‘full of days,’ whose days pass not away and come to nought, but by the daily reward of good works, are treasured up with the just Judge, even after they have been passed. " - Gregory The Dialogist, 7th Century

I haven't read these yet for Job but now I intend to, the Book of Job has helped my struggle immensely.  

Commentaries on the Book of Job, just click on a verse and it shows different commentaries on the verse, sometimes the Fathers or whomever is giving commentary goes into extra-biblical evidence and context.

https://catenabible.com/jb/1
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 2:42:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By FedDC:

View Quote

Sounds as if that sermon would be a great example of an eisegetical reading of scripture used for a sermon. Please share the link if there is one.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 11:52:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: doc_Zox] [#8]
There are gnostic texts that were edited out of the "Bible"

https://mbird.com/theology/reading-the-book-of-job-with-an-eye-on-gnosticism/

Link Posted: 2/27/2024 12:57:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By doc_Zox:

View Quote

Saying gnostic texts are edited out of the Bible is like saying the Harry Potter series was edited out of the Bible.

In reality, they were never a part of the Bible because they were written centruries after the fact.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 8:37:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By doc_Zox:

View Quote

Is Constantine in the room with us right now?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top