Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2023 2:53:11 PM EDT
Was at Costco this morning and they had Kirkland brand pellets FS.  40lb bag for 13 dollars, pretty good deal, might go get another tomorrow.  Looks like a mixed bag of woods, but for the price I am sure they are fine.  

That is all carry on.    

" />
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 5:47:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Has anyone used these pellets?? Decent quality??
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 6:25:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: aeroworksxp] [#2]
I was looking for pellets at costco the other day ago. Couldn't find any.

Not sure if they were just in a weird place or what. Didn't bother asking anyone though.

I've used them before in my recteq. Worked fine. I'm not terribly picky on pellets though.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 9:33:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By JimmyAR:
Looks like a mixed bag of woods, but for the price I am sure they are fine.  
View Quote

Most pellets you buy are a mix. Unless they say they're 100% a particular kind of wood assume they're a mix, and only a few brands for sure do 100% like Walton's.

Sam's Club also has a mix that's quite good and almost as cheap.

https://www.samsclub.com/p/premium-hardwood-bbq-pellets-smokehouse-blend-40lbs/prod22631792?xid=plp_product_2
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 2:29:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I usually just buy the Cabela's brand and they are good, that said the only store is 60 miles away.   Will try these as I am sure they will be fine.   I honestly can't really tell the different woods apart that much when smoking either way.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 3:27:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been using these for a few months now and they give a good flavor to the pork, chicken, and fish I've cooked. No complaints.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 3:45:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I've used several bags of the Kirkland pellets and have no complaints.  

I stocked up on Kingsford pellets while they were on sale at Sams a few months ago.  Got 2 bags left then I'll probably switch back to Kirkland.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 3:54:53 PM EDT
[#7]
WSM guy here. Never explored the pellet world.

How many pounds of pellets will you normally burn per hour at 225f? How about 275f?
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 4:09:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mitsuman47:
WSM guy here. Never explored the pellet world.

How many pounds of pellets will you normally burn per hour at 225f? How about 275f?
View Quote

It really depends upon how big your smoker is, how full it is, what you're cooking, and environmental factors such as external temperature. If it's warm, loosely packed with small items, and your smoker isn't a big boy, I'd say <1lb an hour. Big factor is how often your thermocouple has to adjust the flow rate to keep up.

I started a brisket one night around 10PM, with a 40lb hopper completely full, at 200F then went to bed. Woke up around 8 and it still was >2/3rds full. No real ash buildup except in the drum itself which is no big deal, the firepot stays clean. It's easily the most cost-effective method of smoking without gas or electricity, unless you have a good supply of wood already that's free.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 4:10:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 9:25:06 PM EDT
[#10]
We use them here at the firehouse and they work great and price is nice too
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 2:03:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Im too picky on pellets,ive tried pitboss and they were sawdust,lumberjack was meh,traeger was just infused junk
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 2:09:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I've used the costco pellets before,  no one complained.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 5:58:13 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm cheap i bought several 40lb bags pit boss competition blend wm had on clearance for $12 back in December.

Hickory, apple, maple, oak blend, it's not great, but lights easy and little ash,

I use a wood chip box I fill with soaked pecan, apple or mesquite chips (from limbs ran through the chipper)
put near burner so got a pellet grill smoker.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top