Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2024 8:02:57 PM EDT
Holy shit.

Been seeing YouTube vids about it pop up here and there and finally figured I’d try it. Currently doing a very leg intensive thing for work for the next three months. Have been doing hot epsom salt baths, foam roller and Thera gun but figured I’d try out the idea of promoting muscle fiber healing and reducing joint inflammation from the cold plunge. Made it 9 minutes at 45 degrees. Kids both called upstairs to see if I was ok from the noises I made getting in.

Anyone else doing this and seeing any benefits?
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 8:58:49 PM EDT
[#1]
After Viet Nam, I swore to my self I would NEVER take a cold shower again, here 50 years later I never lied to my self. A cold bath is beyond my comprehension.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 11:25:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sitdwnandhngon] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Traderjac:
After Viet Nam, I swore to my self I would NEVER take a cold shower again, here 50 years later I never lied to my self. A cold bath is beyond my comprehension.
View Quote

I tried the cold shower thing a few years ago because everyone was hyping it up.

After working in below freezing weather all day, and then later standing in an ice cold shower I thought to myself "This is stupid, and something for office workers to do" and then turned the hot water on.

Not for me, I get plenty of cold every spring and fall.

There's cold shock benefits, but I'm guessing like most things the fitness community latches onto that they are highly overblown in most cases.

We used to ice our legs sometimes during pre-season, but that was mostly just to keep injuries at bay, not because we thought it was helpful on a day to day basis.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 3:58:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I think its probably just hyped up more then it should be. It might be useful for reducing inflammation but I don't buy for a second it has all the benifits they claim. Dr Mike Israel agrees and according to his crew ice baths are actually bad for putting on muscle.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 7:27:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ICEAGE:
I think its probably just hyped up more then it should be. It might be useful for reducing inflammation but I don't buy for a second it has all the benifits they claim. Dr Mike Israel agrees and according to his crew ice baths are actually bad for putting on muscle.
View Quote

Yeah, they're bad for lifting if you do it right after.  The inflammation(pump) is actually really good for you.  Retarding the process is bad.  You should wait maybe 6 hours to do it or do it before you lift.

It's probably something that's hard to quantify for making you feel better in general.  If it makes you feel good, then it works.

I like them, but found it to be a pain in the ass without a true dedicated ice bath.  I hate getting ice or making ice.  The chest freezer conversion is the way to go, unless your rich and can afford a Blue Cube.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top