Try a Manix next. I really like the lock
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:34:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NotIssued:

Me either.  Or the Case knives.

Now, a SAK.....
View Quote

Same a ZT, spyderco, currently a Kershaw livewire in the right pocket, a SAK climber with the scissors in the left.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:38:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Or get both.... Buck did a run of 110s in Magnacut that sold out in about three seconds . I'm waiting for one to pop up on the used market at non-scalper prices.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:11:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Keekleberrys:
I don’t carry a knife at work anymore because our parking lots so packed that I would scratch the shit out of cars when my fat ass is trying to get in and out of them.

I wish I could.
View Quote

Stop being fat?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:24:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JAR0023] [#6]
Originally Posted By Szilagyi-hpg:
It took way too long for the implementation of pocket clips. After the first time I had to dig a buck out of my jeans pocket I was done with it.
View Quote

That's why everyone carried that heavy bastard in a belt pouch.   If you rear pocket carried it, you'd wear through the pocket faster than a Copenhagen can.  

Bought my first Spyderco and then Benchmade in the early mid-nineties.   Always used a clip since.  Favorite was a BM Mini-AFCK for years.   Current favorite is a ZT 0450CF.   Prefer flippers to assisted.  Just a quick and you don't always want to advertise opening a knife.  Spyderco hole gets the job done.  Dislike thumb studs as I find they open inside the pocket more.  Tip up against the pocket seam helps keep the knife closed.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:29:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Boomer] [#7]
My old Buck 110, 112 and 450U all still get the job done just fine. They cut stuff, dress out animals, etc. They are convenient to carry in a pocket or a sheath. What more does a knife need to do? The 110 and 112 were gifts received in the 1980s. The 450 was purchased in a pinch on a trip in the late 1990s. I might or might not make a different buying decision today, but I have never seen a need to replace them as I doubt anything newer does typical knife stuff appreciably better. The boutique blade materials don’t do anything for me. It’s a basic tool. Like my nearly 40 year old Craftsman hand tools.

Same with my old 2 and 3 cell Maglites. With LED upgrades, they keep getting the job done just fine and are worth keeping around. Not to say that they are fully competitive with much newer designs and technology, but at least with newer lights you can point to appreciable improvements such as their higher output, more compact form factor and rechargability.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:10:26 AM EDT
[#8]
I prefer the lightweight 110 (non-automatic). Especially with pocket clips on both sides (functions sort of like a pommel to greatly improve grip).

I can open the lightweight 110 with the thumb stud easily as fast as I can operate the heavy automatic. Possibly faster even.

That didn’t stop me from getting a heavy automatic when they came available. This one’s a “fake.” So I’m probably going to hell for buying a “Chinese knife.” That’s OK, I was probably going to hell anyway. I got a BUNCH of fake knives.  Because I’m THAT GUY.

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:18:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Debo75:
Or get both.... Buck did a run of 110s in Magnacut that sold out in about three seconds . I'm waiting for one to pop up on the used market at non-scalper prices.
View Quote

I have one.

Magnacut and Honduran rosewood, it's exquisite, perfectly crafted, lightsaber sharp, and i'll never part with it. Heavy too, when you hold it in your hand you know you're a holding a real hunk of steel.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:29:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LeadBreakfast] [#10]
I'll concur with the guys preferring Schrade. The chunky Old Timers that are just like a 110 are a solid knife (ETA or at least the old ones were, who knows these days).

With that said, I never carry them - thick, heavy, no clip, etc. If it is a folder it'll be something slimmer but generally I carry a substantial fixed blade IWB.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:36:46 AM EDT
[#11]
A Buck 110 or 112 lightweight with the pocket clip is my EDC.

Can't beat 'em for price or performance.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:38:37 AM EDT
[#12]
I like them all.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:41:37 AM EDT
[#13]
I mostly carry a GEC 35 cattle knife these days and a small fixed blade. If the 35 can't do it, the fixed blade can, and better than a folder.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:43:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Idpapaperoperator] [#14]
Originally Posted By Wolverine1776:
My Case Trapper is one of my favorite knives.

https://www.knivesplus.com/media/CA-9720.jpg
View Quote

You should look at the GEC 48'S they are getting ready to release.

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:46:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By LeadBreakfast:
I'll concur with the guys preferring Schrade. The chunky Old Timers that are just like a 110 are a solid knife (ETA or at least the old ones were, who knows these days).

With that said, I never carry them - thick, heavy, no clip, etc. If it is a folder it'll be something slimmer but generally I carry a substantial fixed blade IWB.
View Quote

You almost have to use the provided belt sheaths. I carry my 112 when I'm working outside.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:47:44 AM EDT
[#16]
I do have some appreciation for my standard (non-lightweight) Buck 110. It’s a sturdy, quality knife with a good blade and it’s large enough to use as a skinning or fillet knife without feeling like you’ve made much of a compromise.

That said, lockbacks in general are inferior to a good linerlock, axis lock, etc. like most “modern” folding knives have. Lockback knives can and will break if you use them hard. For that reason I usually opt for a full tang fixed blade if I anticipate I’m going to have to put my knife to work.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:50:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Idpapaperoperator:

You almost have to use the provided belt sheaths. I carry my 112 when I'm working outside.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Totally get that...but if I'm wearing it on the belt a fixed blade is more durable, slimmer, and more useful anyways.

Still love 'em, don't get me wrong, but it's for nostalgia. No different than taking out the 1897 Winchester on a walk for ringnecks. An old school folder pairs well with an old school shotgun for activities such as this
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:58:17 AM EDT
[#18]
I can see their headquarters from my house but I prefer other Idaho makes.Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:59:29 AM EDT
[#19]

Totally get that...but if I'm wearing it on the belt a fixed blade is more durable, slimmer, and more useful anyways.

Still love 'em, don't get me wrong, but it's for nostalgia. No different than taking out the 1897 Winchester on a walk for ringnecks. An old school folder pairs well with an old school shotgun for activities such as this
View All Quotes

If it were all about practicality we would all just carry folding boxcutters.

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:01:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Aimless:
Flip open clip knives are an advancement on the 110. 110s were cool when I was a kid.
View Quote

Many of the boys in my high school, including me, carried Buck 110s daily.

I graduated from high school in 1975.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:02:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By ZF-1:
I really, REALLY dislike liner locks.

Fixed or lock backs (Spyderco).
View Quote

I don't dislike them, but I have little faith in the strength of the mechanism. I am comfortable with stupid strong (fixed, or 110 if I have to), or folding utility (SAK). Everything else seems like the worst of both worlds.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:04:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By California_Kid:

View Quote

I graduated in the 90s from a rural school, most carried a case or something cheap. I had a spyderco Goddard model
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:09:04 PM EDT
[#23]
LOVE THEM!  I just wish it wasn’t such a pain to add a pocket clip to them.  The clip/accessibility is the thing for me.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:27:51 PM EDT
[#24]

View All Quotes
Flip open clip knives are an advancement on the 110. 110s were cool when I was a kid.

Yep!  Buck 110 was a “Buck knife”.   I graduated in ‘78 and most of my friends and I had a pocket knife if some sort on us everyday.  
I moved from a Barlow to the 110 soon as I could scrape up the coin for it.  Still got it!  
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:58:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: meistermash] [#25]
Originally Posted By Philmore:

Yep!  Buck 110 was a “Buck knife”.   I graduated in ‘78 and most of my friends and I had a pocket knife if some sort on us everyday.  
I moved from a Barlow to the 110 soon as I could scrape up the coin for it.  Still got it!  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Philmore:

Holy chit.
Hey Beu and Luke, what's that clam look like on Daisy these days.
Bad grilled cheese sandwich or roast beef on rye?

Ehh sorry

I have the slim versions of the 110 and the regular 110 and slim select as well.
Mostly I carry the Ontario Rat one or the Cold Steel somethen tanto.
Occasionally a Swiss Army with added clip.

If Case could fucking figure out how to put a pocket clip on any of their knives, I would be a buyer.

Eta: Ok I fucked up.  If Case can figure out how to put a pocket clip on something that isn't $190 fucking dollars I'd be a buyer.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:01:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Cobalt-60:
I'm a Swiss Army Knife guy.

So... Yes? Kind of?
View Quote

The best and most practical in my mind.  I carry either a SAK or an Opinel 99% of the time.

I used to carry crazy expensive knives until I realized for actual daily tasks I was reaching for a $17 Opinel or opening a bottle with a SAK almost every time.

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:45:55 PM EDT
[#27]
The new slim 110 with the s30v steel is good stuff.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:49:55 PM EDT
[#28]
I still have my Buck 110 folder, but I have upgraded my EDC to a Benchmade 910 Stryker.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 11:54:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By HellSpork:

I may have customized my Slim Pro TRX to make the perfect knife. But that's subjective.
View Quote

You gonna post pictures or make us use our imagination?

I am a little interested in the slim/lightweight 110. I just sharpened an old school 110 for a coworker and was surprised that people put those in their pocket. They're tanks.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 11:59:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By somedude:
was thinking of the new buck auto folder 110

View Quote
do it.gif
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:01:52 PM EDT
[#31]

If it were all about practicality we would all just carry folding boxcutters.

View Quote
i carry one of those, too.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top