Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:43:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I want a Hakim
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:48:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

That's incorrect.  As I've stated, I never watched the A Team.  It was built as a nostalgia rifle for the shortest lived US service rifle.

So:

1) Folding versions - A Team nostalgia/decent truck guns; Correct
2) Fixed stocks - M-14 nostalgia (where some of my interest comes from, and why the short barrel clamps are so popular); If youre going to have nostalgia for the former champion of our small arms procurment stupidity, at least go all the way.
3) Ban state compliant for those behind enemy lines - and there are aftermarket stripper clip guides for the 181 series onwards, which means you don't need to carry 21x steel 10 round magazines for a standard load.
theres places where you can rent a box truck and drop it off somewhere else. They have drop off locations in states with less gay stuff.

It's not the best modern rifle - but I'd argue that in Washington state, it's the best semi-auto 5.56 rifle you can buy new.  It's probably the only semi-auto 5.56 rifle you can buy new right now.  

ETA:  There's a Washington state contest - new production Mini-14 w/ stripper clip guide & 1x 10 round mag vs KelTec RDB Survival w/ 21x 10 round PMags:

https://media.keltecweapons.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/RDBS_LEFT_DSC0710-1-1-1.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:53:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I used to have a Mini-14, years ago, just a plan wooden stock and blued.  It still had the pencil thin barrel for the entire length of the gun, but it was a newer series, 580 I think.  I bought it in 2005.  

I think a lot of the Mini-14s posted here look ugly, flash hiders make them look bleh to me for some reason.  If they shoot accurately, consistently, that's what matters I guess.  I think they should have made the barrel underneath the handguards thicker, but maybe it's too thick now.  Maybe they could have found a better compromise between weight and accuracy.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:55:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brasscrossedrifles] [#4]
Originally Posted By BullpupFan:

All I have to say is "I pity da fool!"

While not "clone correct" the current 5895 is awfully close AND gets you both the ranch-rifle Ruger ring integrated bases, AND drilled-and-tapped for an included picatinny bridge rail, so closer to the AC556 they apparently never actually showed/used in the show *AND* the options to do modern optics easily should you wish to stop LARPing George Peppard.

ETA: Notice integral front sight just behind the tacked-on muzzle device, lack of barrel-mounted front-sight, and lack of receiver-mounted selector lever.
https://cdn.thenewsroom.io/platform/story_media/1288821078/cover-image-89.jpg
View Quote

I'm actually familiar with most of the different models, though I don't remember all the nomenclature to the letter at this moment.

The one they just put out is closest to a model they made for LE sales, but was not an AC556. I forget the prefixes and suffixes but I think something something mini 14 something something. I think there was a GB in there somewhere. I've seen them for sale as LE trade in guns before.

I'm also aware the A Team guns were commercial models modded with shit you could buy from cheesy mail order catalogs back in the day.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:09:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By brasscrossedrifles:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:  That's incorrect.  As I've stated, I never watched the A Team.  It was built as a nostalgia rifle for the shortest lived US service rifle.

So:

1) Folding versions - A Team nostalgia/decent truck guns; Correct
2) Fixed stocks - M-14 nostalgia (where some of my interest comes from, and why the short barrel clamps are so popular); If youre going to have nostalgia for the former champion of our small arms procurment stupidity, at least go all the way.
3) Ban state compliant for those behind enemy lines - and there are aftermarket stripper clip guides for the 181 series onwards, which means you don't need to carry 21x steel 10 round magazines for a standard load.
theres places where you can rent a box truck and drop it off somewhere else. They have drop off locations in states with less gay stuff.

It's not the best modern rifle - but I'd argue that in Washington state, it's the best semi-auto 5.56 rifle you can buy new.  It's probably the only semi-auto 5.56 rifle you can buy new right now.  

ETA:  There's a Washington state contest - new production Mini-14 w/ stripper clip guide & 1x 10 round mag vs KelTec RDB Survival w/ 21x 10 round PMags:

https://media.keltecweapons.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/RDBS_LEFT_DSC0710-1-1-1.jpg

As I've stated, we already have a NM M1A in the safe.  I certainly don't need another M1A in the house.

I have no idea what you're talking about w/ a box truck.  I'd never move to Washington in it's current political crisis, but I'd like to go visit my in laws, and take a rifle.  Washington's even banned the SKS - and the M1A by name, leaving the Garand, the M1 Carbine (w/ 10 round mags), the Minis and the KelTec RDB thingie w/o a pistol grip.  I think even the FightLite AR thing that was thought to be ban proof was banned.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:21:18 PM EDT
[#6]

As I've stated, we already have a NM M1A in the safe.  I certainly don't need another M1A in the house.

I have no idea what you're talking about w/ a box truck.  I'd never move to Washington in it's current political crisis, but I'd like to go visit my in laws, and take a rifle.  Washington's even banned the SKS - and the M1A by name, leaving the Garand, the M1 Carbine (w/ 10 round mags), the Minis and the KelTec RDB thingie w/o a pistol grip.  I think even the FightLite AR thing that was thought to be ban proof was banned.
View Quote

People who live in places like Washington have the option of moving to places with less gay stuff.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:29:43 PM EDT
[#7]

People who live in places like Washington have the option of moving to places with less gay stuff.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:  As I've stated, we already have a NM M1A in the safe.  I certainly don't need another M1A in the house.

Yes, but I don't want my pot smoking Democrat in laws moving to Texas.  I just want to go visit them.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:32:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Yes, but I don't want my pot smoking Democrat in laws moving to Texas.  I just want to go visit them.
View Quote

They sound like they probably prefer the gay stuff over Texas anyway.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:38:26 PM EDT
[#9]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:  Yes, but I don't want my pot smoking Democrat in laws moving to Texas.  I just want to go visit them.

Ok, you're talking about the late Fatalwishes' parents.  Keep a civil tongue in your mouth.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:43:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Ok, you're talking about the late Fatalwishes' parents.  Keep a civil tongue in your mouth.
View Quote

Aight.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:47:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I had one of the very early Mini 14s. I actually scoped it so I knew what the accuracy or lack there of was. It was fine with a cold barrel and for the next 2 rounds and then everything went to shit. It would pattern the following rounds in a scattered, vertical string. I always suspected that the barrel was just too light but I didn't spend a lot of time thinking about it and traded it for something else. I did love the way that rifle handled though. If they were $500 I'd probably buy a new Mini 30 (if they still make them) but I'm not paying $800-$1000 for one.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:01:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Papposilenus:
I have mixed feelings about minis

mines in 300 blk and I like it theoretically, but its super gassy with a silencer on it.  

I understand the adjustable gas block helps a lot, but then I think I need to ditch the acc-strut, which I like aesthetically for M14 vibes.  It launches brass, so more points for adjustable gas block.

That said, it's really fun to shoot, its triggers great and its reset is phenomenal, its recoil is a non issue, and I like anachronistic guns.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/179834/IMG_0215_jpeg-3198023.JPG
View Quote

That looks just about Ideal to me. I would just stick to irons if I had one though.  Would be interesting to have this set up in 6.5G.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:12:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Bacon_Grease:

That looks just about Ideal to me. I would just stick to irons if I had one though.  Would be interesting to have this set up in 6.5G.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bacon_Grease:
Originally Posted By Papposilenus: I have mixed feelings about minis

mines in 300 blk and I like it theoretically, but its super gassy with a silencer on it.  

I understand the adjustable gas block helps a lot, but then I think I need to ditch the acc-strut, which I like aesthetically for M14 vibes.  It launches brass, so more points for adjustable gas block.

That said, it's really fun to shoot, its triggers great and its reset is phenomenal, its recoil is a non issue, and I like anachronistic guns.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/179834/IMG_0215_jpeg-3198023.JPG

I mean, you could rebarrel a Mini-30, but why swap 7.62x39 for 6.5 if you're sticking with irons?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:21:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2001WS6] [#14]
Not a Mini...

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:24:17 PM EDT
[#15]

You can buy a stainless Mini & drop it into a stainless Samson folding stock based on the original.  Friend of mine sold his two original folders for good money & promptly replaced them w/ new guns & brand new folders, probably more accurate than the originals.

ETA - Not my thread:   https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Test-firing-my-new-Mini-14/52-542076/
View Quote

Nice, thanks.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:01:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By 2001WS6: Not a Mini...

https://i.ibb.co/THrWnbk/IMG-3161.jpg
View Quote

Nice.  Think if I were to go that route would just get a full up CETEME.  Does it take G3 or HK33 mags?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:16:40 PM EDT
[#17]

Nice.  Think if I were to go that route would just get a full up CETEME.  Does it take G3 or HK33 mags?
View All Quotes

Thanks,

Unfortunately it takes its own mags and they go for around $300 each for a 10rd. If you can find them. I bought mine like 25 years ago.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:22:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By 2001WS6:

Thanks,

Unfortunately it takes its own mags and they go for around $300 each for a 10rd. If you can find them. I bought mine like 25 years ago.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 2001WS6:

Thanks,

Lol, yeah, the BM-59 and the Shuff's Mini-G are going to be higher on the list.

An M1A in 7.62x39mm that takes AK mags would be sexy.  Norinco was importing theirs into our Hat.  Dunno the current status of their bans.

Be a very expensive Mini-30 here.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:49:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Don't mind me, just stirring the pot with pictures of a Mini I no longer own:

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:02:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Seven-Shooter:  Don't mind me, just stirring the pot with pictures of a Mini I no longer own:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/129976/IMG-0927-214534.jpg
View Quote

Wood looks nice.  Did the single clamp strut improve the accuracy or was just for looks?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:21:15 PM EDT
[#21]
A rare bird in the US:

Baghdad Carbine: Iraq's Super-Rare Copy of the Rasheed
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:39:02 PM EDT
[#22]

Wood looks nice.  Did the single clamp strut improve the accuracy or was just for looks?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Seven-Shooter:  Don't mind me, just stirring the pot with pictures of a Mini I no longer own:

Just for looks, like my other one
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:28:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Seven-Shooter:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Seven-Shooter:

Needs more cetme
https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=2129
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:05:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By ACDer:
Who remembers the Ruger XGI, the 308 rifle that never was.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69887/1000003765_png-3198374.JPG
View Quote
I handled one at the NRA show in Seattle during the 80's.  I was so disappointed they it never came to market.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:11:55 PM EDT
[#25]
My avatar is loving this thread

And I’m really wanting another one myself. I let the ones I had go when life demanded.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top