Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 14
Posted: 4/27/2024 7:09:15 AM EDT
Republicans just love to shoot themselves in the foot! Seriously why write about that?

Trump VP contender Kristi Noem writes of killing dog – and goat – in new book

“Cricket was a wirehair pointer, about 14 months old,” the South Dakota governor writes in a new book, adding that the dog, a female, had an “aggressive personality” and needed to be trained to be used for hunting pheasant.
What unfolds over the next few pages shows how that effort went very wrong indeed – and, remarkably, how Cricket was not the only domestic animal Noem chose to kill one day in hunting season.
View Quote

She includes her story about the ill-fated Cricket, she says, to illustrate her willingness, in politics as well as in South Dakota life, to do anything “difficult, messy and ugly” if it simply needs to be done.
By taking Cricket on a pheasant hunt with older dogs, Noem says, she hoped to calm the young dog down and begin to teach her how to behave. Unfortunately, Cricket ruined the hunt, going “out of her mind with excitement, chasing all those birds and having the time of her life”.
Noem describes calling Cricket, then using an electronic collar to attempt to bring her under control. Nothing worked.
View Quote

“I hated that dog,” Noem writes, adding that Cricket had proved herself “untrainable”, “dangerous to anyone she came in contact with” and “less than worthless … as a hunting dog”.
“At that moment,” Noem says, “I realised I had to put her down.”
Noem, who also represented her state in Congress for eight years, got her gun, then led Cricket to a gravel pit.
View Quote

“It was not a pleasant job,” she writes, “but it had to be done. And after it was over, I realised another unpleasant job needed to be done.”
Incredibly, Noem’s tale of slaughter is not finished.
Her family, she writes, also owned a male goat that was “nasty and mean”, because it had not been castrated. Furthermore, the goat smelled “disgusting, musky, rancid” and “loved to chase” Noem’s children, knocking them down and ruining their clothes.
Noem decided to kill the unnamed goat the same way she had just killed Cricket the dog. But though she “dragged him to a gravel pit”, the goat jumped as she shot and therefore survived the wound. Noem says she went back to her truck, retrieved another shell, then “hurried back to the gravel pit and put him down”.
View Quote

This is why women don’t belong in politics and leadership positions imho. Sounds like she got all emotionally overwhelmed and went on a killing spree.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:11:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Moron..
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:13:05 AM EDT
[#2]
This is why we can’t have nice things
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:14:01 AM EDT
[#3]
She’s a semi attractive female who likes to be in charge. Of course she’s nuts.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:14:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:15:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By SavedByTheBlood:
Republicans just love to shoot themselves in the foot! Seriously why write about that?

“Cricket was a wirehair pointer, about 14 months old,” the South Dakota governor writes in a new book, adding that the dog, a female, had an “aggressive personality” and needed to be trained to be used for hunting pheasant.
What unfolds over the next few pages shows how that effort went very wrong indeed – and, remarkably, how Cricket was not the only domestic animal Noem chose to kill one day in hunting season.
View Quote

She includes her story about the ill-fated Cricket, she says, to illustrate her willingness, in politics as well as in South Dakota life, to do anything “difficult, messy and ugly” if it simply needs to be done.
By taking Cricket on a pheasant hunt with older dogs, Noem says, she hoped to calm the young dog down and begin to teach her how to behave. Unfortunately, Cricket ruined the hunt, going “out of her mind with excitement, chasing all those birds and having the time of her life”.
Noem describes calling Cricket, then using an electronic collar to attempt to bring her under control. Nothing worked.
View Quote

“I hated that dog,” Noem writes, adding that Cricket had proved herself “untrainable”, “dangerous to anyone she came in contact with” and “less than worthless … as a hunting dog”.
Noem, who also represented her state in Congress for eight years, got her gun, then led Cricket to a gravel pit.
View Quote

“It was not a pleasant job,” she writes, “but it had to be done. And after it was over, I realised another unpleasant job needed to be done.”
Her family, she writes, also owned a male goat that was “nasty and mean”, because it had not been castrated. Furthermore, the goat smelled “disgusting, musky, rancid” and “loved to chase” Noem’s children, knocking them down and ruining their clothes.
Noem decided to kill the unnamed goat the same way she had just killed Cricket the dog. But though she “dragged him to a gravel pit”, the goat jumped as she shot and therefore survived the wound. Noem says she went back to her truck, retrieved another shell, then “hurried back to the gravel pit and put him down”.
View Quote

This is why women don’t belong in politics and leadership positions imho. Sounds like she got all emotionally overwhelmed and went on a killing spree.

View Quote

Has nothing to do with her being a woman.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:15:38 AM EDT
[#6]
She really did this?

Unreal.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:18:43 AM EDT
[#7]
A wire hair pointer was too dangerous?
A pointer?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:18:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Why would you even tell that story?   I mean what good can come from it?

Oh well, at least she’s still hot, so she has that going for her.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:18:57 AM EDT
[#9]
In before the simps.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:20:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ZW17:
That’s farm life.
View Quote

If she's a moron, yes.

The dog analogy is either made-up bullshit to make her sound tough, or it illustrates the complete failure of a hunter to adapt their training to the dog.

I've had GWP's my whole life, and my father had them for 50 years of his; they aren't untrainable. Some just require different methods and patience. If the dog had made it to 14 months as was as uncontrollable as claimed, there is only the owner to blame.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:22:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Even Hillary knows better than to talk about her body count.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:23:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Curmudgeon762] [#12]
That’s farm life.
View Quote

Having grown up on a farm I will agree to an extent. Shooting a healthy dog because it was poorly behaved? It depends if it was attacking PEOPLE in which case fine. Just not properly trained? Give it to some city folk who can probably turn the behavior around and have a loving family pet. Goats are nasty and Billys are doubly so. Writing about either and not realizing it will only be used against you? Poor enough judgment I would not want her making decisions of importance
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:23:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By car15man:
A pointer?
View Quote
I don't know about dangerous as in aggressive but my wife's GSP chewed on the wheel wells of my car trying to get to a cat and it damn near punctured the sheet metal in places.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:23:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Now these are the sorts of anecdotes that resonate with voters!
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:24:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BFskinner] [#15]
Originally Posted By FG24U:
In before the simps.
View Quote

deleted
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:24:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By car15man:
A pointer?
View Quote

Apparently. Rip Cricket

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:28:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Radio_Free_ARFCOM:
She really did this?

Unreal.
View Quote

Life is short for a hunting dog that can't or won't hunt. I've seen it before, probably see it more than a few times yet to come.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:32:27 AM EDT
[#18]
The dog should have been put down and doing it the way she did was fine. She should have known better than to have put it in a book. We have too many who saved who types.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:35:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Good shoot.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:36:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Cases like this are just a flat out failure of the owner. She couldn't do her part and probably thought killing a dog she couldn't train was better than admitting failure and giving it to someone.

Solid leadership +1
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:38:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By MaddMan:
The dog should have been put down and doing it the way she did was fine. She should have known better than to have put it in a book. We have too many who saved who types.
View Quote

You are basing that determination on what exactly?  Her attempt at a self-serving but utterly tone deaf "strong women does what needs to be done" narrative of events?

If she is as poor a dog trainer as she is at knowing how a story like this will impact her politically I don't exactly think I would be too quick to buy that is the way it really went down.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:40:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By BFskinner:

So thinking it ins't appropriate to kill a dog because you are a shitty trainer makes you a simp...got it...
View Quote

I'm not sure you got this right...
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:41:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BFskinner] [#23]
Originally Posted By AXE0FWAR:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AXE0FWAR:

So thinking it ins't appropriate to kill a dog because you are a shitty trainer makes you a simp...got it...

If it was meant as before the Simps for Noem then yes, I interpreted it incorrectly so I deleted the first post.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:43:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ExFed1811] [#24]
Maybe she's trying to tell the people in favor of abortions that although she's not in favor of them, they are of the same mindset and do have some common ground.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:48:09 AM EDT
[#25]

You are basing that determination on what exactly?  Her attempt at a self-serving but utterly tone deaf "strong women does what needs to be done" narrative of events?

If she is as poor a dog trainer as she is at knowing how a story like this will impact her politically I don't exactly think I would be too quick to buy that is the way it really went down.
View All Quotes

I'm 50/50 leaning towards this sounding like a situation that was twisted into an attempt to be a rural-girl-boss-that-can-handle-tough-decisions.

Such as maybe the dog had a terminal illness, and the ghost-writer was asking for a story that could be used to illustrate how she can do anything necessary to "get the job done", so let's just "modify" it a bit.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:48:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: nu3gawhat] [#26]
“dangerous to anyone she came in contact with”

I don't expect the media to tell the full story.

Oh heres some op left out of his quotes.

Then, on the way home after the hunt, as Noem stopped to talk to a local family, Cricket escaped Noem’s truck and attacked the family’s chickens, “grabb[ing] one chicken at a time, crunching it to death with one bite, then dropping it to attack another”.

Cricket the untrainable dog, Noem writes, behaved like “a trained assassin”.

When Noem finally grabbed Cricket, she says, the dog “whipped around to bite me”.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:48:56 AM EDT
[#27]

View All Quotes

Right now the story is, the dog killed chickens and bit her.  It was fine to put the dog down.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:49:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Animals are property. Let that sink in.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:50:34 AM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

You're absolutely right.

Throughout history men have amassed a flawless record in politics and federal leadership positions.

List of American federal politicians convicted of crimes
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:52:01 AM EDT
[#30]
You can tell the people that spent zero time on a farm.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:52:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheWhiteHorse] [#31]
There will be an SNL skit about this next week. Guaranteed.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:52:45 AM EDT
[#32]

She just went into the wrong zone on the hot/crazy matrix.

And she can kiss her chance at VP goodbye.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:54:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Makarov] [#33]
Yeah, I don’t think I would brag about any of that

She is trying to project herself as “tough” but it is coming across as being irresponsible, on many levels.

Also, that dog behaved badly because she was a bad owner.

ETA- I don’t know about the goat. Goats tend to be assholes anyway.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:55:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Two timeouts and a ban
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:55:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By JKH62:
View Quote

Farm life or not, probably something you should kee your mouth shut about if you are vying for the VP nomination where you are trying to win over undecided suburban house wives.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:58:28 AM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

A bird dog is part of a hobby though. Its death isn’t a planned part of the businesses operation.

A decent person would take a dog that doesn’t hunt to a shelter and let the shelter people know it’s a pet-only situation.

This wasn’t a “had to do it” thing, it was “don’t want to deal with this anymore”.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:59:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BFskinner] [#37]
View Quote

This isn't about understanding the realities of farm life, it is about the horrible judgement of a potential VP pick.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:00:50 AM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

You can also tell people who never left it…

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:01:48 AM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

Farmers only carry ONE round (aka the Barney Fife loadout) with their gun?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:03:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: runcible] [#40]
Dummy. How is it that people on "our side" are so fucking clueless? The other side played a long game that lasted 100 years. Our side doesn't when to STFU.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:05:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BFskinner] [#41]
Originally Posted By Makarov:

Farmers only carry ONE round (aka the Barney Fife loadout) with their gun?
View Quote

Based on her gutlessness about protecting women athletes in her home state it wouldn't surprise me if a single barrel shotgun is the only type of firearm she thinks is 2nd amendment protected.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:06:05 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By switchtanks:
This is why we can’t have nice things
View Quote

couldn't she have just put it in a pet carrier and strapped it to the roof of the car?

oh...wrong fucktard
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:09:21 AM EDT
[#43]
At least she didn't eat it.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:10:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BFskinner] [#44]
Originally Posted By FMJ3:

At least she didn't eat it.  
View Quote

I probably would respect her more if she had.  Dog is a mighty fine meal.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:12:23 AM EDT
[#45]
And that was the end of Kristi Noem.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:13:06 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Naamah:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Naamah:

Oh, I think it certainly does!
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:16:26 AM EDT
[#47]
Rescue?

My wife and I have adopted seven rescue Great Pyrenees all had some sort of behavior or physical issue that had to be dealt with overtime. Never had take any of them out to the pasture and shoot them.  BTW, I grew up on a farm and my father never shot a farm dog.  Take to the Vet and have them put down.

Sounds lazy or made up. ‘
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:17:03 AM EDT
[#48]
only on ArfCom.

men play tough saying things like animals should be put down.

then when someone does it, they clutch pearls and whine.

alot of dogs have to or should be killed.
its a sad part of dealing with them.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:18:01 AM EDT
[#49]
Sometimes you need to keep parts of your life secret.
Not everyone will understand.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:18:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Aspida1776] [#50]
That’s farm life.
View Quote

Bullshit. She's too busy playing girl boss games to train the dog so the dog - with all that energy - went wild. She should have had someone training the dog from the puppy stage. Telling that story now is political naivete and will not endure her to voters that don't hunt.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top