Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2024 4:22:48 PM EDT
We have AIAX bolt guns and SR15 CQB's for most things. However, I am wondering if anyone is using smaller frame gas guns for their snipers and if so what?
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 5:18:30 PM EDT
[#1]
sorry

different kind of 'gas gun'...

I'll see my way out
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 5:18:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Out SWAT marksmen use 16" LaRue OBRs in . 308 Win.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 7:17:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm looking into getting smaller frame gas guns in either 5.56 or .308 for our snipers to use in some instances. They won't replace their bolt guns, but in circumstances where the space and distance are limited I can see the utility. I've talked to a few agencies who reported that their snipers would just take along their entry guns when doing vehicle hides or scouting. I'd rather my guys have something more purpose built for them to use.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:34:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Our sister agency uses JP Precision 308s. They love them, but from what I've seen accuracy is only mediocre compared to a decent bolt gun.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:54:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I was in favor of going to either gas .308s or a 50/50 bolt .308/gas .223 team model. For my former group there was never a deployment that couldn’t have been handled by a RECCE or SPR type AR set up, though it wouldn’t have been a bad idea to have something bigger available in case barrier penetration was a factor for the situation. That said I never could convince the powers that been to adopt it, too much of the “this is how we’ve always done it” mentality combined with a lack of technical knowledge.
Link Posted: Today 12:12:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10-8DoWork] [#6]
We are currently looking into getting/building a couple MK12 inspired uppers for use with 75/77gr ammunition.

Aside from that, we use .308 and .338 bolt guns.

The bolt gun isn't always a good choice for a 25yd engagement so it's why we are looking into the gas guns. We been doing some testing on new ammo and the 5.56 ammo we're looking at has surprisingly good barrier penetration/deflection.
Link Posted: Today 12:23:41 PM EDT
[#7]
How far is the average engagement that a gas gun isn’t accurate enough? JP, Larue, ect are pretty damn accurate.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top