Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2024 9:54:22 PM EDT
I went the vinotemp wine fridge route years ago, but ultimately I returned it to the store I bought it. It was barely big enough to fit the cigars/boxes I had in a 48qt cooler.

I haven't bought cigars in years, but I also haven't smoked many in that time either. I have a packed 150qt cooler, and two packed 48qt coolers, plus a large (and I mean large) zip lock bag with 6 or so cedar trays full of smokes. Though I haven't smoked much in the last several years, I've maintained them with beads and the extra large boveda packs.

I'm looking now to get a refrigerator size wine fridge, probably a 170ish or so bottle model. I don't even need to turn it on, I keep my apt at 69-70 degrees year round. I just need something that takes up less space than 3 big ass coolers sitting on the floor in my spare bedroom.

Has anybody used a big wide fridge? A humidor that size would be $$$, you can get a wine fridge for around $1K.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:03:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigFatDog] [#1]

I’ve done that. I’ve had mine for more than a decade. The guy who built my shelves and drawers is no longer doing/making conversion parts.

My problems are related to power outages and humidity. When the power goes out and comes back on the fridge temp goes to 50 something. I have a replacement controller that I haven’t gotten around to installing. I actually have to use a humidity absorbing chem like damp rid, to keep humidity down. It lives in my temp controlled garage.

(These are old pics. I need to take some current ones. Although a number of my cigars are 15 years old and more).
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:15:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm looking at getting something like this:

Most of my smokes are in boxes, and I have maybe 8 or 10 spanish cedar trays. I wouldn't need shelves really. I'm just looking for something that will hold all my cigars and hold humidity.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:23:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigFatDog] [#3]
I bought the fridge with the intention of converting it. My plan always included Spanish cedar interior parts. My research at the time showed that the only difference between a couple of brands was the level of finish (wood edge shelves and such). I bought the cheapest one of the group.

The one you posted should work just fine. If you are gulf coast, like me, you may need to dehumidify more than humidify. I have an active humidification system that I have never installed. I think my setup is somewhere around 15 years old.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 11:13:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm in the Dallas area.  It's 40-50% humidity in my apartment at any given time.  I'd probably get a cigar oasis or something.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 3:19:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Just try to off gas the interior of new.  Too big to put outside to get UV on the plastic but maybe by a window with the door open so sunlight hits the plastic?    Usually the interiors on new ones have a plastic scent.  I would get an oasis unit and run that to regulate humidity.  Should work perfectly well as long as you can control temps
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 5:32:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I purchased a Edgestar 28 bottle wine fridge about 20 years ago.  I sealed the drain hole, put about two pounds of baking soda in it for two weeks to take any residual manufacturing "oder/smells" out of it (didn't want the sticks picking anything up, worked great) and then got a few cedar drawers (properly seasoned them) with glass tops.  I have never plugged it in and it holds a mid 60's temp in my basement all year long.  I store a few new boxes down low and the remaining sticks (quite a few) are stored in the drawers.  I just used humidity beads and add distilled water when needed and never had an issue.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top