Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2021 4:00:07 PM EDT
Hello,

I thought I might be of some help here in this forum.

I was homeschooled K-8, attended a Classical HS, got a bachelors degree in classical languages, and have been teaching Latin for nine years now at 2 different classical high schools as well as some after school classes for homeschoolers.

If you have questions about curriculum or need help with a specific concept post it up and I'd be happy to help!

I don't currently homeschool my own children, but my wife and I plan on when they are a little older.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 4:11:55 PM EDT
[#1]
We pulled our kids from school for this year, want to teach a foreign language.  Catholic, so latin is a top choice.  Ages 7, 8, 9.  Any guidance is appreciated!
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 5:04:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By withoutremorse42:
We pulled our kids from school for this year, want to teach a foreign language.  Catholic, so latin is a top choice.  Ages 7, 8, 9.  Any guidance is appreciated!
View Quote

I am Catholic also.  

Memoria Press is my usual recommendation for materials for parents who do not know Latin to learn along with their students.

Their materials for that age range (I'm really bad at matching ages to grades lol) are Prima Latina for 1-2nd grade and Latina Christiana (2 books) for 3-5th grade.

For 5th-8th grade they also publish 1st Form Latin (2nd From, etc).

While Memoria Press is not specifically Catholic their materials are good and not anti-Catholic.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 2:43:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Second semester bump
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:06:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Monty Python's Life Of Brian - [April Fools'] 'Romans go home' Latin Lesson 60fps FI - Sub ESP
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:40:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By llanero:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lczHvB3Y9s
View Quote

There is one in every class....
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 8:40:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Beginning of the school year bump
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 4:21:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mike9199] [#7]
This year feels so difficult, it is not even half school year behind and kids are already exhausted.
We decided we gonna offer them some help and ordered essays here https://www.grabmyessay.com/essays-for-sale, so they don't have to do that at least.
Other than that the program is very intense and they have tons of homework every single day.
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 5:00:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By mike9199:
This year feels so difficult
View Quote

How so?
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 11:38:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Hello, what would be a good starting point for 6th, 7th,and 11th grade students just starting in Latin? Would they need to start with the Prima Latina, or the First Form programs? TIA for any help you can provide.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 9:07:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Starsky84:
Hello, what would be a good starting point for 6th, 7th,and 11th grade students just starting in Latin? Would they need to start with the Prima Latina, or the First Form programs? TIA for any help you can provide.
View Quote

Hello, for these age ranges, Prima Latina is far too elementary; it was written for 1st-3rd grade use.

First Form would be appropriate, especially  for the younger 2. In my opinion the Form series moves far too slowly.  Don't be afraid to move more quickly through them.  The 11th grader could use 1st Form with the other two, BUT...

If your 11th grader is motivated, a self learner, and interested, I would reccomend Henle Latin I. It is a much more age appropriate text for a high schooler.  Unlike the Memoria Press books though it  was written for a more traditional classroom setting and not homeschooling. Memoria Press does have supplementary materials for homeschooling with Henle but I have not used or reviewed them.

Link Posted: 9/13/2023 4:49:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By TribunusSanGeorgii:
Beginning of the school year bump
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top