Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2024 3:37:10 PM EDT
Let’s say hypothetically-you come into possession of an almost one of a kind heritage grade master built acoustic show guitar made from some of rarest of guitar tone woods, say; “The Tree.”

It looks and sounds like nothing else you’ve ever touched BUT it doesn’t have a pick up OR a strap button on it.

Would you install those features or not?  

Would you “modify” a 57 Les Paul? Would you install a PU and strap button on your Pre-War Martin D-28?

Link Posted: 2/10/2024 4:51:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd probably do my best to source the correct parts and pieces for a historically significant guitar and return it to playable condition. I wouldn't stuff humbuckers into a 1954 Strat if it had no electronics. THAT would be a crime. Nothing wrong with bringing something back to life with the parts it's supposed to have though.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 5:27:38 PM EDT
[#2]
K&K pure western mini.  That covers the pickup and rear strap button.  I don't know if I would add the second strap button or just tie it on.  All of this is assuming you don't mind hurting the resale value and want a player.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 5:28:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn't add/modify to give it features not oem.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 9:58:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Well I would send it to my luthier to get the work done but yeah these are instruments meant to be played they aren't meant to sit in a glass lighted case in some lawyer or pharma manager's office or "man cave."

No where near a pre war but I for sure had a pickup installed in my vintage D-28 and I put the neck heel strap button on myself.  Pucker factor high on that one.

Instead of returning my '79 Les Paul Artist to stock (I have all the parts for it) I ripped out all the shitty Moog electronics and wired it up with normal pickups.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 10:18:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RickFinsta:
Well I would send it to my luthier to get the work done but yeah these are instruments meant to be played they aren't meant to sit in a glass lighted case in some lawyer or pharma manager's office or "man cave."

No where near a pre war but I for sure had a pickup installed in my vintage D-28 and I put the neck heel strap button on myself.  Pucker factor high on that one.

Instead of returning my '79 Les Paul Artist to stock (I have all the parts for it) I ripped out all the shitty Moog electronics and wired it up with normal pickups.
View Quote

Not a vintage one but I’ve installed K&K minis and the heel strap button on my D-28.
“Honey, I’m going down stairs to drill some holes in my $3,200.00 guitar I’ll be back up in a bit”.

I appreciate your perspective about playing guitars….they are meant to be heard by others.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 10:59:03 AM EDT
[#6]
A strap button, sure. A pickup? As long as it wasn’t too invasive of an install then maybe? I’m all for playing these instruments like they were meant for but modifications I prefer are reversible ones when possible. Something like that however, I might just relegate it to playing at home and not messing with it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 11:23:34 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd leave it alone. Adding anything might affect the tone.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 1:12:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Luckily my only true vintage guitar is player grade and a factory 2nd but even then I only changed things I can change back to stock, bridge saddle, bridge pins, OEM format tuners. I feel completely different about cars.  If I could afford a restored classic I'd likely do restomod so I could drive it reliably. I'd chop that shit up so I could enjoy it. Sell the vintage parts to someone doing restorations at least.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 9:26:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Czechers:
Luckily my only true vintage guitar is player grade and a factory 2nd but even then I only changed things I can change back to stock, bridge saddle, bridge pins, OEM format tuners. I feel completely different about cars.  If I could afford a restored classic I'd likely do restomod so I could drive it reliably. I'd chop that shit up so I could enjoy it. Sell the vintage parts to someone doing restorations at least.
View Quote

The way I read this is everyone needs to do the next guy a favor and turn every vintage instrument into a player grade.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 9:08:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gone_Shootin] [#10]
I would only swap parts that are easily swapped back that don't alter or add any holes. On an electric for example, the bridge or it's parts, pickups, pots, the jack, ect. And I would go ahead with straplocks too, since they use the same holes and if you need to repair the strap button holes, toothpicks and wood glue work just fine and you can't see them.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:07:40 AM EDT
[#11]

The way I read this is everyone needs to do the next guy a favor and turn every vintage instrument into a player grade.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Czechers:

Exactly!

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:40:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FlamingDragon] [#12]
No pickup, just mic it. If you're going to record it or play out with it, get yourself not a decent mic, but a very good one. If you don't mind sitting on a stool and playing it then you dont need a strap. A good mic is going to sound better than a pickup anyway. Just saying if it were me I wouldn't modify it and if the original owner didn't modify it then there's probably a good reason.

I installed a LR. Baggs in my D28 but the hole was already there I just had to ream it a little bigger.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 7:57:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By FlamingDragon:
No pickup, just mic it. If you're going to record it or play out with it, get yourself not a decent mic, but a very good one. If you don't mind sitting on a stool and playing it then you dont need a strap. A good mic is going to sound better than a pickup anyway. Just saying if it were me I wouldn't modify it and if the original owner didn't modify it then there's probably a good reason.

I installed a LR. Baggs in my D28 but the hole was already there I just had to ream it a little bigger.
View Quote

It’s is a NAMM show guitar built by Dana Bourgeois and originally purchased by a collector. It has lived in a case for almost 20 years. It’s in perfect mint condition. I do play her (with a strap)  and think that others should hear her and will just mic her when that happens.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top