Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2023 12:57:14 PM EDT
We do have a couple KitchenAid mixers, but I don't have the grinding or stuffing attachments for them, nor do I plan to get them anytime soon. So, for this conversation let's stick to sausage you can pickup in a chain store (Costco, Walmart, etc.), or you can order online. I haven't tried any online yet, but I've been told Bellville Meat Market is good to order from. I'd like to order some Jalapeno cheddar and probably some "original" type flavors to throw on the kettle this summer.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 4:41:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DV8EDD] [#1]
interesting timing on this.  I have a regular ol' store bought Hillshire farms kielbasa in the freezer.  I haven't ever smoked sausage on my WSM but was thinking of doing it this weekend.  

I have a regular ol' store bought Hillshire Farms kielbasa in the freezer.  

Would that smoke well over hickory?  Any proper way to prep it (e.g. spiral cut, etc.)?

ETA: we have a legit italian market near me and they have coils of various ones, that would be another idea.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 5:22:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I'm going to look into a couple of the local processors and near shops here. Shipping from the online places is $60-$70.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 9:04:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Look up Conecuh Sausage. Made in Conecuh county Alabama. They ship. It’s available in all grocery stores here. Best store bought sausage I’ve had.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 10:53:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Tango-22:
Look up Conecuh Sausage. Made in Conecuh county Alabama. They ship. It’s available in all grocery stores here. Best store bought sausage I’ve had.
View Quote

Thanks for the suggestion!
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 6:19:19 AM EDT
[#5]
View Quote

This and they have several flavors that are great
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 11:08:58 AM EDT
[#6]
If you're talking Bellville Meat Market in Texas, hell yeah!!!
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 12:39:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By spyderboy03:
We do have a couple KitchenAid mixers, but I don't have the grinding or stuffing attachments for them, nor do I plan to get them anytime soon. So, for this conversation let's stick to sausage you can pickup in a chain store (Costco, Walmart, etc.), or you can order online. I haven't tried any online yet, but I've been told Bellville Meat Market is good to order from. I'd like to order some Jalapeno cheddar and probably some "original" type flavors to throw on the kettle this summer.
View Quote

Once upon a time, I would have said Edgar Black’s (blacksbbq in Lockhart) Garlic sausage rings, but I’m not sure you can order them anymore.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 12:43:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#8]
View Quote
The Kitchenaid works decent for grinding, but is slow and weak.  It incorporates too much air in the product for stuffing.  You have it right, buy a finished sausage product until you decide to buy the correct equipment.

It sucks that they don't ship, but I love this place:  Pork Shop
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 10:37:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By danco302:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By danco302:

Yep. I get shipping meat takes speed, ice, and insulation, but I won't be able to convince the wife that we should spend $100 on a few pounds of sausage...

Originally Posted By wildearp:
The Kitchenaid works decent for grinding, but is slow and weak.  It incorporates too much air in the product for stuffing.  You have it right, buy a finished sausage product until you decide to buy the correct equipment.

Good to know, thanks!
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 10:54:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Rolling your own is a lot of fun!

My last batch was 40#. Sweet Italian and Pork, parmesan, and wine.

A family tradition that goes back decades was to make sausage on New Years Day. We started by making venison sausage, but now we do all kinds of different things.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 9:04:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Sausage - Conecuh Sausage or local butcher's jalapeno
Patty sausage - Publix hot
Link Posted: 8/7/2023 4:55:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spyderboy03] [#12]
Found out a BBQ joint a buddy's mom owns that has good sausage gets hers from a commercial producer that is sold at Costco. Grabbed some last week and it is pretty good! https://kiolbassa.com/product/costco-beef-cheddar-smoked-sausage/
Link Posted: 8/7/2023 5:00:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Found out a BBQ joint a buddy's mom owns that has good sausage gets hers from a commercial producer that is sold at Costco. Grabbed some last week and it is pretty good! https://kiolbassa.com/product/costco-beef-cheddar-smoked-sausage/
View Quote

I've had their Jalapano sausage and it was good.
Link Posted: 8/7/2023 5:01:06 PM EDT
[#14]
If you are going to order from Belleville you should probably check out Chappell Hill Sausage Company.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 10:33:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By BigFatDog:
If you are going to order from Belleville you should probably check out Chappell Hill Sausage Company.
View Quote

I'll look into them. I haven't ordered from anywhere due to shipping costs. I am also less likely to order anything now that I've found something that is good enough locally.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 11:23:21 AM EDT
[#16]

I'll look into them. I haven't ordered from anywhere due to shipping costs. I am also less likely to order anything now that I've found something that is good enough locally.
View Quote

Local is the way to go.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 11:30:42 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm sorry "kettle?" How do you cook sausage? Genuinely curious.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 6:05:39 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

Apparently, they have several fans.

Conecuh Sausage opening second Alabama production facility: $58 million expansion creating 110 jobs
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 11:36:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Brawnydog:
I'm sorry "kettle?" How do you cook sausage? Genuinely curious.
View Quote
@Brawnydog I somehow missed your comment. I use a Weber Kettle for smoking when the temps outside are decent. Electric smoke in the winter as it maintains temp well.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 11:43:37 AM EDT
[#20]
I have used an offset bbq smoker and I have used an electric in the dead of winter.  The winter temps weren’t helpful.

The offset I have suspended a long square stick of wood to half the kielbasa on.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 12:44:46 PM EDT
[#21]

Link Posted: 2/15/2024 12:56:59 PM EDT
[#22]

I loop copper braided ground wire around the lid hinges and suspend my sausage hanging rod from that.   Mine is similar to yours,  I also pull the grates to loop the sausage lower.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 1:01:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By DV8EDD:
interesting timing on this.  I have a regular ol' store bought Hillshire farms kielbasa in the freezer.  I haven't ever smoked sausage on my WSM but was thinking of doing it this weekend.  

Would that smoke well over hickory?  Any proper way to prep it (e.g. spiral cut, etc.)?

ETA: we have a legit italian market near me and they have coils of various ones, that would be another idea.
View Quote

I think Hillshire Farms has done something to their kielbasa recipe. It has a different texture than it used to. More filler, maybe?
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 1:07:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Look up Wisconsin River Meats and order their Garlic Ring Bologna.  One of my favorites of all sausages.  Grill that bad boy up, add some onions, veggies and down the hatch.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 1:18:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Koegels has some good meat products.  I bought a bunch of things the last time their road show hit town.  They have a store in Phoenix AZ too.

Link Posted: 2/15/2024 2:05:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By wildearp:

View Quote

Right down the road from my mom's place. Everything they sell is God tier.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 2:31:47 PM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

This. Thread over.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 2:57:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By VACaver:

I think Hillshire Farms has done something to their kielbasa recipe. It has a different texture than it used to. More filler, maybe?
View Quote

Probably, it wasn’t as coarse a grind as I recalled.  Flavor was meh as well.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 2:58:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By DV8EDD:

View Quote

It’s already smoked but you could smoke it more to heavy it up.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 4:28:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:
Originally Posted By VACaver:

That's what I thought, too.

Texture seemed more "mushy" than before and has a different taste.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 12:23:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Another vote for Conecuh.

Grilled then tossed on a piece of white bread with some yella mustard. Crave worthy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top