Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Let's build a range (Page 1 of 3)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/26/2024 11:51:04 AM EDT
I like build threads so let's do one for a range.

I'm building on my dad's land.  The psycho asshole drunk that gave us shit about shooting finally killed himself so I have a worry free place to shoot again.

In another thread I was asking about grading, turns out I don't need to.  I just need to knock back the trees in a few places and build a big ass backstop.  However, I want this to be nice and very proper so no one can give me shit.  Two other bordering neighbors have ranges and some people nearby give them shit.  The cops don't care.  These people may lose their marbles when another range starts so I don't want to give them a leg to stand on.  Unlike the other neighbors, I don't have MGs so there's that

So my initial questions...
What's the most cost effective way to do a back stop?  
How tall should it be for 300yds?

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:51:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Gas or Electric?

I prefer gas to be honest
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:53:36 AM EDT
[#2]
If you zoom in you can see my truck

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:00:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Here is where the backstop will be

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:05:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cpt_Kirks] [#4]
Easiest:  Get several loads of topsoil delivered, use tractor with bucket to arrange as needed.

Cheapest:  Use a backhoe to dig a trench, and use that dirt to build your backstop.

My backstop needs maintenance and expansion.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:16:10 PM EDT
[#5]
You probably have homes in the background somewhere.

I would build a big berm.  Either truck in dirt or pull it from the property.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:24:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DVCER:
You probably have homes in the background somewhere.

I would build a big berm.  Either truck in dirt or pull it from the property.
View Quote

Actually... No.  But I still want a big back stop. At least 8ft tall

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:27:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Tires, sand, soil, RR ties

Build it bigger than what you think will work.
Think about wing returns.

Consider at what range you will place targets.

Use frost protected foundations for any structures/benches/shade structures.

Exposed wood structures require maintenance [re-stain/seal, paint].  Consider steel/aluminum if in the budget.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:32:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Is there a way you can use the terrain? Scooping out just a little bit from the side of a hill would make the best backstop and require less work.

Another one: use tires. Tire shops have to pay to have them taken away, so they'll happily give you all of them for free. Stack 'em and fill them with dirt.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:47:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Bump

Also dragging out trespassers tree stands

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:16:19 PM EDT
[#10]
This thread is relevant to my interests.
I'm trying to plan out a dirt backstop for myself right now. Haven't figured out what is adequate for my needs.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:26:36 PM EDT
[#11]
This isn't a very clear picture, but the first berm at my membership range is at 200 yards and I think it is about 9' tall.

The 2nd berm is at 300 yards and is probably 12' higher.

The steel targets on the 300yd range are probably 3' tall.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:08:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:51:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By 67Firebird:
Is there a spot that you can clear some trees, and shoot down into the lower spots? That's always better than shooting at a small bump in a mostly level field.
View Quote

Unfortunately no.  

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:52:48 AM EDT
[#14]
I went to start clearing over hanging trees last night.  Freaking chainsaw fuel line dry rotted.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:57:23 AM EDT
[#15]
My backstop is a naturally occurring terrain feature ( a mountain) so I lucked out.

If I had to build one I certainly wouldn't go crazy doing it and scavenge material from our property.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:00:04 AM EDT
[#16]
I built my backstop about eight feet high. Just started at one end of the range and bulldozed down the existing grade to something closer to flat and pushed the dirt to the other end of the range. How big you want your backstop will depend on what's around your range and what weapons you intend to be firing. The range fan of a pistol range is different than the range fan of a  machine gun range
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:00:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Berms shrink.  Whatever you build just remember they will erode and shrink

I have my berms at about 10 foot,  used to be 15.

I have rebuilt them twice in past 8 years.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:01:04 AM EDT
[#18]
I always thought this was pretty cool:

How to make your own Shooting Range | Build and Targets

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:10:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Enough land for a pond? Dig pond, use dirt from digging the pond for the berm.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:30:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Attachment Attached File

Here's mine. Had my neighbor with a front end loader dig down a bit and also haul in addition sand. A bit of a horseshoe shape to it, and shooting close keeps it at a bit of a downward angle. My ground is all sand, so water is seldom an issue, even with the depression in front of the targets.

This pic was when it was first dug, maybe 3 years ago. Its in a pasture, and my bull liked to roll around on the sand, so it's settled a bit and I've hade to repush the pile some, but still plenty of sand and backstop. No houses that direction for 6+miles

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:30:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Into_the_Void:
I like build threads so let's do one for a range.

I'm building on my dad's land.  The psycho asshole drunk that gave us shit about shooting finally killed himself so I have a worry free place to shoot again.

In another thread I was asking about grading, turns out I don't need to.  I just need to knock back the trees in a few places and build a big ass backstop.  However, I want this to be nice and very proper so no one can give me shit.  Two other bordering neighbors have ranges and some people nearby give them shit.  The cops don't care.  These people may lose their marbles when another range starts so I don't want to give them a leg to stand on.  Unlike the other neighbors, I don't have MGs so there's that

So my initial questions...
What's the most cost effective way to do a back stop?  
How tall should it be for 300yds?

View Quote

Dirt and tires seems to be the cheapest method if you can run a loader and can use on site dirt.
Dirt and Railroad ties or old phone poles probably looks the best.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:58:01 AM EDT
[#22]
friend built his with railroad ties, some with tires stacked horizontally and filled with sand/dirt and stakes. seems to work fine.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:03:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:05:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Lowdown3:
The area behind your truck in the pic looks like a drainage ditch or otherwise low area? Dig a pond there and use the dirt as your bermed backstop.

At our range we cut into a hill for our "square range" area and then also bermed above that for added protection. Though we rarely shoot the other direction, we put in a berm four foot wide, 8 foot tall a total of over 300 yards running. A long high berm at 100 yards, and smaller berms at 200, 300 and 400 yards. Shorter, thinner berms at various distances in this long view to shield PT61A pop up targets that we use for various classes. A wrap around high berm at a vehicle range. A small berm on a hill under which a FOF kill house is going in this summer.

You may want to see about renting an excavator for a few weeks and you can probably save some bucks and get a berm and a pond out of the time.
View Quote

That is a huge gulch/ravine with a creek at the bottom.  Nothing is getting in or out from down there
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:07:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Here is a link to a thread I posted a few months ago about my home range build out.
You have two legs up on me to begin with - much longer area and a lot of trees.

I hope it helps.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/My-new-home-range-Picture-heavy/5-2697293/
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:33:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Manduck:
Here is a link to a thread I posted a few months ago about my home range build out.
You have two legs up on me to begin with - much longer area and a lot of trees.

I hope it helps.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/My-new-home-range-Picture-heavy/5-2697293/
View Quote

That does help.  Thanks.

I may go the tire route if I can get them for free.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:59:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Hell yes OP, it'll be one of the best things you've ever done. I'm digging in a pond at mine this year.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:26:26 AM EDT
[#28]
If you know someone that works for the railroad, they can probably get you an endless supply of ties.  I think I’ve seen a couple of people here use ties with dirt behind it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:55:19 AM EDT
[#29]
In for ideas.

I’m thinking about renting a dozer and moving a bunch of dirt.

Never drove one before though.  How different are they than tractors?  

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:03:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: governmentman] [#30]
Bump

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/220444/1000005440_jpg-3198674.JPG
View Quote

Feel ya on this one. Still have trouble wrapping my head around how people will trespass to hunt and leave their tree stands up all year.

Best belligerent excuse I heard was that because the property is in clean and green, I have to let anyone hunt. It is Clean and Green - as timber reserve - no public access required.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:09:09 AM EDT
[#31]
I put in a pool a couple of years ago. Kept all the dirt they dug and had them place it where I wanted the burm. Then started going around to all the used car shops in the area and got free old tires. I did a cross stack four rows deep and eight feet tall filling each tire with dirt. Then moved the rest of the dirt pile around the tires leaving the front exposed. Then brought in a bunch of railroad ties and made a wall eight feet tall in front of the tires. If you have really sandy soil you have to do something to keep the sand from eroding. That’s why I did so many tires. Then I put a shit ton of grass seed on the top of the sand. I haven’t had any problems with erosion. Even when we got that hurricane that dropped 18” of rain in less than 12 hours, no erosion!
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:55:39 AM EDT
[#32]
sucks that you don't like close to the Mississippi River...sand is cheap and plentiful for days down here.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:10:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By AbleArcher:
Hell yes OP, it'll be one of the best things you've ever done. I'm digging in a pond at mine this year.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/188236/1000013845_jpg-3199139.JPG
View Quote

Bad ass set up!!!
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:27:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Cheapest way to build a berm, use geography

200 - 225 yd range...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Can get to 550 from this position, which is about even with the barn but facing opposite direction.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:34:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: arowneragain] [#35]
Tagged.

You could rent a skid steer and take a skim of dirt off the top of the high spots and use it to build the berm.

I had topsoil fill dirt trucked in for mine.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:40:07 AM EDT
[#36]
I used to be in the middle of nowhere and shot into the hillside.

The many ATL and FL refugees building nearby recently has made me think I need to build something more semi official.

Don't want to used treated railroad ties as I have a well nearby and am concerned about leaching carcinogens.

Don't want to use old tires, just because.

Here for ideas.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:51:29 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By arowneragain:
Tagged.

You could rent a skid steer and take a skim of dirt off the top of the high spots and use it to build the berm.

View Quote

A guy with a skid steer could do just that in probably a day. Maybe 1200-1500 day.

Hard to tell from the pics where your truck is , but looks like behind , left and right it drops off lower. Could you take and cut into the land perpendicular to your truck left to right and basically make the berm / backstop an island? But not really an island , more of a low spot to get dirt from but will still drain into the natural lower areas.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:01:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By arowneragain:
Tagged.

View Quote

A guy with a skid steer could do just that in probably a day. Maybe 1200-1500 day.

Hard to tell from the pics where your truck is , but looks like behind , left and right it drops off lower. Could you take and cut into the land perpendicular to your truck left to right and basically make the berm / backstop an island? But not really an island , more of a low spot to get dirt from but will still drain into the natural lower areas.

Attachment Attached File

Take from the purple , dig a swath not deep though. Account for drainage which ever way it needs to be graded. PLace dug dirt where you want the berm and plant some grass to keep from eroding . Also plant grass in new cut swath.

Youi could also cut a couple inches out for the 300 yards or just hit any real high spots.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:15:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By governmentman:

Feel ya on this one. Still have trouble wrapping my head around how people will trespass to hunt and leave their tree stands up all year.

Best belligerent excuse I heard was that because the property is in clean and green, I have to let anyone hunt. It is Clean and Green - as timber reserve - no public access required.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By governmentman:
Bump

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/220444/1000005440_jpg-3198674.JPG

I'm over by Blue Marsh.  Unfortunately a half mile through the woods it turns to game land.  I have no idea how the fuck they're even getting the stands back there.  It is ROUGH terrain.  I damn near had a heart attack dragging them up to the field
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:17:32 PM EDT
[#40]
It's worth noting I have shit for dirt.  Couple inches of topsoil then solid shale.  Slim pickings.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:31:26 PM EDT
[#41]
It's worth noting I have shit for dirt.  Couple inches of topsoil then solid shale.  Slim pickings.
View Quote

Can you not use the shale for the berm then bring in some fill to cover it with?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:35:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Into_the_Void] [#42]
Originally Posted By Codyboy:

Can you not use the shale for the berm then bring in some fill to cover it with?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Codyboy:

Maybe?  I doubt I could do it with anything short of a cat 953.  That ground sucks

I'm calling around now to find fill
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:42:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Do you have a machine?

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:44:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By JamesJones:
Do you have a machine?

View Quote

Nah, but I got a hookup at the local rental place.  They're only a few miles away.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:46:38 PM EDT
[#45]

Nah, but I got a hookup at the local rental place.  They're only a few miles away.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JamesJones:
Do you have a machine?

Maybe make a new pond or road with ditching and use the dirt and trees to make a back stop.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:46:56 PM EDT
[#46]
I went to start clearing over hanging trees last night.  Freaking chainsaw fuel line dry rotted.
View Quote

damn, how long since it was used?

maybe think of building up a few feet for the shooting position?  even a little "down" angle will make the farther (second berm) less high.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:50:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By racer765:

maybe think of building up a few feet for the shooting position?  even a little "down" angle will make the farther (second berm) less high.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By racer765:

Two years, but it's a 20 year old 357xp
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 1:11:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Just called two places.  I calculated roughly 100yds of dirt.

First place wants $284 delivered per 20yd tri axle.

Second place is going to call me back.  They sounded much more likely to work with me as they asked if they could spread out delivery because they don't even have 100yds.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 1:59:51 PM EDT
[#49]
beautifil spots yall got !!!

i been wanting to do one with the thieme of the "shire" from Lord of the Rings.   make a round hobit door as the main target, then flowers etc.  who says ya cant have aesthetics and flowers and nerdery all in the same thing!>>!?!?!?!!!
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 2:16:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Saw is back up and running.

Fucking fuel line I got is a cunt hair too small so it's not sealing all the way where it goes into the tank.  Leaking gas a little.  Oh well, that's what gasket maker is for.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Let's build a range (Page 1 of 3)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top