Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Let's build a range (Page 2 of 3)
Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:26:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Never seen no gasket maker seal up fuel.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:34:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Your brother going to weld you some target stands?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:35:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Into_the_Void] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By StarCityShooter:
View Quote

I hate you
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:36:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By daveo:
Never seen no gasket maker seal up fuel.  
View Quote

I can try
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:41:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Into_the_Void:

I can try
View Quote

Might work for a little bit
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:45:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Complicated , but it can be done .
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:46:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Cheap and makes a great backstop.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:47:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Actually... No.  But I still want a big back stop. At least 8ft tall

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/220444/1000005437_jpg-3198432.JPG

View Quote

In to comment that I think every county, township, borough, town and city in Pennsylvania has a Hilltop Road.

Probably something in the commonwealth constitution.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:50:33 PM EDT
[#9]
The NRA used to offer assistance in these ventures .  Maybe they still do if LaPierre didn’t take all that money too .
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:09:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Welp, saw is running, wife is going to work, I've got the shits, let's go into the woods
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:15:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I’d draw a line between your firing point and your target point, then extend that line to 4000m from your firing point.  Then from the firing point, add a 10 degree angle to each side of your line out to 4000m and ensure there aren’t any structures-especially those occupied by humans-within that footprint (which should look roughly like a auger ice creme cone).

Sure you're building a berm, but there are also ricochet hazards every time you fire a round into it.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:16:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Pantexan:
The NRA used to offer assistance in these ventures .  Maybe they still do if LaPierre didn’t take all that money too .
View Quote

Correct.  

Their Range Source Book is an excellent guide.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:10:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Just called two places.  I calculated roughly 100yds of dirt.

First place wants $284 delivered per 20yd tri axle.

Second place is going to call me back.  They sounded much more likely to work with me as they asked if they could spread out delivery because they don't even have 100yds.
View Quote

4x8 sheet of plywood, one can a spray paint, two fence post ~$50 total.  Clean Fill Dirt Wanted plus Ph #.  If someone is working dirt nearby and needs to export they will bring it for free if it is a shorter haul than what they currently are using or going to be using.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:54:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Into_the_Void] [#14]
Clearing trees to push back the overhang

@bigbore

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:56:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Kids not helping

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:05:45 PM EDT
[#16]

I hate you
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By StarCityShooter:

I hate you

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:23:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Into_the_Void] [#17]
Calling places looking for dirt is funny.

People get so confused like I'm cold calling them asking to have sex.

"Hey I understand you guys do some level of excavating and land work, do you have any fill dirt to get rid of?"

You're looking for, what?

Dirt.

Ummm, what?

Dirt, the stuff the ground is made out of.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:49:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:27:01 AM EDT
[#19]
I went to start clearing over hanging trees last night.  Freaking chainsaw fuel line dry rotted.
View Quote

I'm in for ideas as well. My range looks almost identical to yours but I've worked on the trees for a bit and don't have the over hang along the clearing any longer.
Is that a house\structure in the top left of your pic? I also have similar layout where there is a house ~800 yrds from backstop through the trees. It's about 70 yds in elevation higher that the backstop.
I want to build my backstop higher and wider for this reason.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:54:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By xanadu:

https://i.gyazo.com/c5f9a0951c91169811c1a40ddfe17b55.png
View Quote

No.  Just no.  Get tired of people posting photos and videos of “backstops” that are not actually capable of stopping bullets consistently 100% of the time.  Fucking logs will let bullets thru because they don’t self repair like sand or gravel will.

Sand, gravel, or even dirt are the way to go.  If using dirt, vary the impact zone, (just make sure you are not digging a tunnel for projectiles to escape thru).

If you want to do something else you should use a bullet trap.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:55:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By CentralScrutinizer:

I'm in for ideas as well. My range looks almost identical to yours but I've worked on the trees for a bit and don't have the over hang along the clearing any longer.
Is that a house\structure in the top left of your pic? I also have similar layout where there is a house ~800 yrds from backstop through the trees. It's about 70 yds in elevation higher that the backstop.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CentralScrutinizer:
I went to start clearing over hanging trees last night.  Freaking chainsaw fuel line dry rotted.

The building will be to my back while shooting.  There's nothing even remotely close to the direction I'll be shooting.  Even if I miss the back stop it'll only have another 100yds or so before it hits a hill side.  Unfortunately, that ain't our property.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:57:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By tac556:

No.  Just no.  Get tired of people posting photos and videos of “backstops” that are not actually capable of stopping bullets consistently 100% of the time.  Fucking logs will let bullets thru because they don’t self repair like sand or gravel will.

Sand, gravel, or even dirt are the way to go.  If using dirt, vary the impact zone, (just make sure you are not digging a tunnel for projectiles to escape thru).

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tac556:
Originally Posted By xanadu:

https://i.gyazo.com/c5f9a0951c91169811c1a40ddfe17b55.png

I will have something sacrificial in front of my dirt.  I know bullets erode the fuck out of dirt piles.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:00:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Dirt brokers are a thing. It's so weird. We're all standing on it but sometimes you have to pay for more of it and sometimes you have to pay to get rid of it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:52:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By AbleArcher:
Hell yes OP, it'll be one of the best things you've ever done. I'm digging in a pond at mine this year.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/188236/1000013845_jpg-3199139.JPG
View Quote

How many guns were in the boat?  
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:35:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Go to wherever any construction projects are going on and ask if they are exporting any material and tell them you have a free place to dump
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 4:23:21 AM EDT
[#26]

"Hey I understand you guys do some level of excavating and land work, do you have any fill dirt to get rid of?"

Dirt.

Ummm, what?

View Quote

What does your town highway department do with the ditch dirt it digs out from the roadsides every year? The little gun club near my house needed berm dirt and asked the highway department to drop a few truckloads off. The highway departments around here are digging out the ditches every spring
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 5:19:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EEgeek] [#27]
Edit: I was supposed to be quoting the picture that said if you zoom in you can see my truck. It's Monday and I already fucked up

No. No I can't
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:09:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By tc556guy:

What does your town highway department do with the ditch dirt it digs out from the roadsides every year? The little gun club near my house needed berm dirt and asked the highway department to drop a few truckloads off. The highway departments around here are digging out the ditches every spring
View All Quotes

Dirt.

Ummm, what?

They don't do that around here
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:09:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By midcap:
Gas or Electric?

I prefer gas to be honest
View Quote

Dual fuel.  Gas cooktop and electric oven is best.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:11:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Called a couple places today for dirt.

The big excavating companies aren't working nearby, but all took my info.

Local quarry wants $300 delivered per 24 ton truck.  1yd is 1.3 tons.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:23:00 PM EDT
[#31]
The reaction out of half of these places is bizarre.  It's like I'm asking to fuck their wife.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:06:31 PM EDT
[#32]
My 100 yard range back stop is only 8 feet high.  But also have no houses behind me and a mountain.  The back stop has railroad ties for the front layer.  There is two stacks of tires filled with dirt behind that.  Plus there is 1/4" steel plate behind the tires and on top.  Everything was then covered with another 3 feet of dirt.  Nothing gets through it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 4:15:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Into_the_Void] [#33]
Railroad ties are as follows...

6x8 for $17
7x9 for $20
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 5:00:36 PM EDT
[#34]
One of the things that we did that helped a lot was build a shooting position that is about 8" high. It really opens up the ground, even though the ground was very flat. I then built target arrays every hundred, alternating sides (Left, Right, Left, etc), with the final distance being 400 yards and the targets centered. Basically, the road/path is in the center of everything. By having a slightly elevated shooting position you get a much better angle, and if feels a lot safer in terms of knowing what is going on downrange. Steel at 100 gets BEAT UP, so have a plan for that. I put the same targets, basically, at each 100 yard line, 8", 6", and 4" steel, thicker than I thought I needed, and doing it again I'd go even thicker at 100. This has drastically improved my training time, as depending on the firearm/shooting position, I can start where I think I will need to be, or if I'm not getting hits, it is easy to move closer/bigger and dial things in.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 5:15:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Middlelength:
One of the things that we did that helped a lot was build a shooting position that is about 8" high. It really opens up the ground, even though the ground was very flat. I then built target arrays every hundred, alternating sides (Left, Right, Left, etc), with the final distance being 400 yards and the targets centered. Basically, the road/path is in the center of everything. By having a slightly elevated shooting position you get a much better angle, and if feels a lot safer in terms of knowing what is going on downrange. Steel at 100 gets BEAT UP, so have a plan for that. I put the same targets, basically, at each 100 yard line, 8", 6", and 4" steel, thicker than I thought I needed, and doing it again I'd go even thicker at 100. This has drastically improved my training time, as depending on the firearm/shooting position, I can start where I think I will need to be, or if I'm not getting hits, it is easy to move closer/bigger and dial things in.
View Quote

I'm going about it differently.  One backstop for all ranges, just different shooting positions
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 5:54:42 PM EDT
[#36]
I want to get dirt delivered, but my wife has me doing floors in the house.  In her defense we planned this for months.  I just want to go do cool stuff instead
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 5:59:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:21:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Fuck yes.  Think I got all the dirt for free.

The one excavating company passed on my info and someone just called looking to get rid of 6 trucks
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:24:07 PM EDT
[#39]
One tip I have picked up over time. If possible build the backstop so that the shooter is facing north and you don't have to worry about the sun in your eyes.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 3:09:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Here is where the backstop will be

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/220444/20240426_102622_jpg-3198403.JPG
View Quote

Do you own the property behind the truck. I see another open field behind where you want to build your berm. Obviously you do not want to have rounds finding their way out into the guy doing tractor time in the fields etc.  I live in shale country and our soil is actually rock posing as soil. Shale and rock do not make good backstops.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 3:19:39 PM EDT
[#41]

Dirt.

Ummm, what?

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 3:21:28 PM EDT
[#42]

Dirt.

Ummm, what?

View Quote

When I was looking for fill dirt, I called a bunch of pool places and nobody had anything. What I used to do also is every time I got gas and saw an Excavating truck I'd ask him if they ever have dirt they need to get rid of. That's where I had some luck,. Maybe they don't want to haul it somewhere.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 3:22:46 PM EDT
[#43]

6x8 for $17
7x9 for $20
View Quote

Not bad, who quoted you that? I might need some for a project later this summer.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 3:43:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 3:48:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: buck19delta] [#45]
I built my back stop out of dirt filled tires, got the tires free at local tire place, I used tires because I had a bunch of dirt I had to dig out for building a retaining wall and it was used for the berm, but using these tires resulted in a much taller / wider berm than if I had just dumped the dirt on the ground. it’s built like this.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
O.                                                    O
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
O O.                                            O. O

Tires form a rectangle approx 35’long x 10’ deep, the inside gap that’s filled with dirt, then tires filled with dirt, stacked 7’ tall. The wings are 3’ gap filled with dirty to prevent bullets ricocheting off to the sides.

I used t posts and rebar driven into each tire to support it and ran high tensile wire to connect the rows to prevent them tipping / leaning. It’s solid, bulletproof, and only cost me about hundred bucks and that was for diesel to run the tractor, and t posts and rebar from the scrap yard. It’s a little ugly, but it’s in the woods where you can’t see it, and I planted Virginia creeper on it several years ago and it’s pretty hard to see now. this ones 80 yards, a second smaller berm is at 30 yards and a steel flipper plate stand with 30 plates at 20 yards, plus a comfortable range table to shoot from and another table in the woods to hold cases, pistols and such while shooting.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 4:06:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By governmentman:

Not bad, who quoted you that? I might need some for a project later this summer.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By governmentman:

6x8 for $17
7x9 for $20

Pohl at 61 and cross keys
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 4:07:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Foreman came out to look.  There's concern about the slope and dumping, especially if it's wet.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 4:11:29 PM EDT
[#48]

Pohl at 61 and cross keys
View Quote

Thank ya, I'll keep that in mind
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 5:09:20 PM EDT
[#49]
I've always heard that using tires wasn't a good idea because once the steel belts are exposed you have a safety issue. I suppose if they were buried deep into the dirt that's less of an issue
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:55:38 PM EDT
[#50]
I've always heard that using tires wasn't a good idea because once the steel belts are exposed you have a safety issue. I suppose if they were buried deep into the dirt that's less of an issue
View Quote
What's the safety issue? Poking yourself with the wires? Tetanus?
Page / 3
Let's build a range (Page 2 of 3)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top