User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 12:17:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ztug:

He'd be surprised how well 2x55 gallon drums work for a septic system
View Quote
Septic is the one thing I'm supposed to get a county permit before installing, but don't know what the requirements are offhand. I don't doubt they would work, but don't know if they would be acceptable. It's on the list of shit to figure out in the future.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 12:59:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By TheOtherDave:
As someone who has done and is doing the rural offf grid cabin thing, he’s more sane that you think. Probably has it better than 90% of GD’s paycheck to paycheck millionaires..

I’ll be retiring in mine, it’s 100% off grid. Solar, fridge, well, it’s at a point we could live there indefinitely and be comfortable-I just need to do the finish carpentry, add septic, and add more wood storage. We even have high speed internet. I was up there this weekend with a friend and had a blast.

You don’t need a suburban dream house to be happy. Stop basing your life on other people’s expectations.
View Quote

Well said.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 1:03:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By TheOtherDave:You don’t need a suburban dream house to be happy. Stop basing your life on other people’s expectations.
View Quote

Instead of spending "money you don't have, to buy things you don't need, to impress people you don't even like".

I can think of a dozen locations where I could be happy in the $8k shed.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 1:07:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By tac556:

Less…but not zero huh?  Ha ha
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Inquisitive_Spaniard:
If my wife ever leaves me I’m buying a few acres in the middle of nowhere and living like Uncle Ted….but I’ll make sure I was water and electric….and less IED’s

Less…but not zero huh?  Ha ha

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 1:14:42 AM EDT
[#5]
I guess if I looked like that dude and had zero chance of getting laid or a wife… fuck it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:37:22 AM EDT
[#6]
I guess it's cool.  I dig life in the sticks and all, but I really like flipping a switch for power and tap water from a municipal water supply.  It makes life so much easier.  Add internet service and you're in heaven.  If you're retired with say $4000K a month income and own your spread you pretty much go it made.  What's few hundred a month for convenience?
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 5:00:28 AM EDT
[#7]

Haha I know that place. I used to live just on the other side of 6th ave and a tad west of there. Golden is expensive, and that’s not even the cool part of town.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 5:21:15 AM EDT
[#8]
I’d rather live in my shop.

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 5:21:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Codyboy:

Some people need to realize that there are NO FREAKING PERMITS IN SOME PLACES!!!

Get out of the CITY. Live free from that crap.

I bought one permit(septic) almost 20 years ago.

No building , electric, plumbing permits were needed to build a 2700 square feet home.

You people and your permit crap . Jeez.
View Quote

Lol..

Years ago up here in TN I went in to the county building to just get a sense as to what they might want in terms of permits for some buildings I was putting up. The gal asked where I lived, I told her and she said "Honey you don't need no permits up there. You just be safe in how you build".  Yes Ma'am.

The only permit that's really required up here is a driveway access permit which is where you would tie into a county road from your land and even that's not really enforced unless you do something stupid in the easement.

Now on the flip side when I was on the beach they wanted permits to change windows, kitchen cabinets, etc…..and these were enforced vigorously. They also flew drones and used Sat imagery to see if any improvements were made to areas that they couldn't see from the road.

In FL it was all about increasing your property taxes which they also enforced vigorously.  Very little of it had to do with safety of quality of life. This was about revenue to pay the salaries of the people that gathered revenue….a small town with big government ideations.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 6:07:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Harlikwin:

That DIY?
View Quote
Yes.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 6:10:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By CouncilOfDave:
Our well quote isn't any better, at around $20k to have that drilled. I can build a really nice catchment system for much less.
View Quote

Man….. don’t get me started in well drilling….

Was quoted $5,500 in 2009 cabin went up in 2013 with various improvements until 2022. Put a deposit down and waited. And waited. And waited

And waited.

A year later I got a call out of the blue at work that they were on my property and wanted to know where to put the well-it had been so long they couldn’t find the markers in the snow…. One of their two well drillers had quit and moved on to greener pastures but was lured back in his off hours to help with their backlog… he was there for three days until 10PM.

By the time the dust settled, I had $13,800 in the well. At least the water is very good quality. Helps me justify the wait and cost.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 6:14:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pdm] [#12]
Originally Posted By PoiDog:
Interesting stuff. I can see one drawback though.

Several states have decided that the rain water belongs to the government. That would throw a big monkey wrench into the plans right there.

I think CO is one of the states that does this, or is about to.

LiFePo4 batteries are amazing so that's a good thing he's got going on there.

View Quote

CO water rights are based on the needs of ranchers in 1800s.  Drive by a farm and you'll see spray irrigation and open ditches…..tons being lost to evaporation.  If you, as a property owner, want to sink a well you better check to make sure that you're allowed to do so because plenty of places in CO won't let you sink a well….you have to cistern the water in….Log hill up by Montrose come to mind. No wells up IIRC….only cistern storage and you have to have your water trucked in.

As for rain catchment I believe that CO changed the law a few years ago. They now allow you to use two 55 gal drums. That's it.

A couple years ago I looked at a lot up 550 in Colona, north of Rigeway. An acre lot that I thought would be around $30k….nope. They wanted $170k…for one acre of high desert shit dirt…not a single tree. Why? Because it had city water!!
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 6:16:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Harlikwin:

IDK there are some decent sized sheds/barns for like 15k. I just don't understand the legalities of living in one or turning one into a structure. Cuz I also see "tiny" homes that are the same sized running like 50-80k... Maybe thats just turnkey pricing, but like I could run electrical and a toilet/plumbing for far less I imagine. Though it would have to be inspected and up to code.
View Quote

Gotta remember, that shed/barn pricing is for the shell and maybe an insulated floor option (recommended), with no tyvek and the cheapest fly-trap windows you can find.

Most municipalities follow standard building codes for anything over 200 square feet. You can get creative with storage/sleeping lofts and stay under 200, but you’ll end up needing a pole barn to store your daily living stuff as there won’t be room in the cabin.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 6:18:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Explorer225:
Around here if you don't hook to the grid they have no hold on you.
View Quote
If you can get away from the power company you're generally good to go here.

The rural part of the county I live in has no building code apart from a health department treatment plant requirement.

I just paid someone to install one on my land, but I'll bet you could "design your own" like that guy did.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 6:22:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheOtherDave] [#15]
Originally Posted By CouncilOfDave:
Septic is the one thing I'm supposed to get a county permit before installing, but don't know what the requirements are offhand. I don't doubt they would work, but don't know if they would be acceptable. It's on the list of shit to figure out in the future.
View Quote

Most of the regs for septic systems have to do with sizing for the number of bedrooms, and placement relative to wells and streams
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 6:32:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Off grid doesn't have to mean a shed. Kris Harbour bought raw land and over time has built a house, his own power system, a workshop, gardens, a pond, etc.

5 Years Living Off Grid Building A Sustainable Smallholding

Off Grid Earthbag Workshop Part 78 Installing Custom Cut Windows On Curved Walls

Garden Improvements, Fencing, Gate Making And Bench Restoration

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 6:40:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Forgot to mention-I will have “free” AC in my cabin soon… a passive geothermal setup.

When my septic goes in, I’m dropping 500 feet of PEX tubing into the ground under it. That gets filled with antifreeze and run to a box with a large truck radiator and a fan in it that ducts into the cabin.

It’s 50 degrees year round below the frost line, and doing this costs about 100 watts. It can also be used to “heat” the cabin in the winter to keep it above freezing.

Cheap Geo Thermal Air Conditioning
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 6:59:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Talked to a lady (mid to late 50's) at work a few weeks ago getting my coffee...she was a little weird but laid out here whole life plan.

She bought a chunk (about 40-50 acres) of prime real estate on a large lake that used to be owned by some long-ago closed chemical company; it was their recreational property for meetings and events. This was a highly contested piece of property for a few major real estate companies; issues with getting it zoned for housing lots. She bought it and did the necessary legal legwork to zone the property for residential lots.

She was literally living in a tent inside a mostly dilapidated building that at least had running water. Her plan was to get the zoning issues through the court to partition and sell lots, but it took about two years and just recently had two of some planned 30 plots under contract.

She's a government contractor (retired military) probably making $150k+ but she said her property payment was almost $7k. She's just now getting ready to turn that investment and tent into a massive net gain. Paying off the entire piece of property and getting her own home built right on a premier spot on the lake. Sacrifice. Not sure if that's the same situation as the dude in the OP but living in tent to likely turn a massive profit is pretty damn dedicated and disciplined.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:05:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By FuriousYachtsman:
How are his bomb making skills?
View Quote

Lol! I got a chuckle
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:24:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: makintrax73] [#20]
I cheaped out on my cabin and didn't drill a well. Saved $15k on that end.  Built a stand with 2 65 gallon water tanks and had it plumbed into a shallow well pump.  I built a transfer pump system so I can truck water from home, or the campground down the road, etc.  I could just as well build a pump with sediment and UV filters and pull from the creek since I don't drink it anyway.

I think my investment in acreage, building and upgrades is $110k or $120k (2017).  Don't know if deals like that can be had today the way they degraded the dollar, but there are cheap places.  1/2 dozen lakes to fish within 30 minutes.  200,000 acres of public land to hunt or hike within the same drive.

Honestly for a single person it's fine.  I have certain friends that don't understand camp rules for showers (5 minutes max with a water flow restrictor), but most are fine.  But it is work when there's company.  For just me a water run (1 hour job) every 3 or 4 days mostly does it.  I wouldn't want to live that way full time, but I realize I'm spoiled.

When GD says you can't possibly retire on $1m the guy in the OP is what I think of......self sufficient, make do, find happiness in nature and providing for yourself.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:56:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Forgot to mention-I will have “free” AC in my cabin soon… a passive geothermal setup.

When my septic goes in, I’m dropping 500 feet of PEX tubing into the ground under it. That gets filled with antifreeze and run to a box with a large truck radiator and a fan in it that ducts into the cabin.

It’s 50 degrees year round below the frost line, and doing this costs about 100 watts. It can also be used to “heat” the cabin in the winter to keep it above freezing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV7XJXETr0Q
View Quote

I saw that video a while back . I wanted to do something like that for when I build my shop.
I wonder if it would cool/heat a 40x60? And if possible how would you know how much pipe to bury.

Also his drawing seems backwards to me but maybe it's not. He has the cool underground water going in the bottom of the radiator and coming out the top. Attachment Attached File

Seems it should feed from top to bottom. But idk.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:59:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By amendment:
The ladies must love that sweet shed
View Quote

She-sheds have been a thing for a while now.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 8:18:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Codyboy:

I saw that video a while back . I wanted to do something like that for when I build my shop.
I wonder if it would cool/heat a 40x60? And if possible how would you know how much pipe to bury.

Also his drawing seems backwards to me but maybe it's not. He has the cool underground water going in the bottom of the radiator and coming out the top. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/257708/1000001366_jpg-3201863.JPG
Seems it should feed from top to bottom. But idk.
View Quote

40x60 is a big damned building…. Is it insulated? I think two of these setups might make a worthwhile contribution to comfort but one would suck wind in the summer.

The direction of the flow in his video shouldn’t matter in terms of pump load.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 8:20:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Kihn:

She-sheds have been a thing for a while now.
View Quote

It’s where cat ranchers go to die after the city condemns the house for fecal content.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 8:26:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: peanutman] [#25]
As someone who has done and is doing the rural offf grid cabin thing, he’s more sane that you think. Probably has it better than 90% of GD’s paycheck to paycheck millionaires..

I’ll be retiring in mine, it’s 100% off grid. Solar, fridge, well, it’s at a point we could live there indefinitely and be comfortable-I just need to do the finish carpentry, add septic, and add more wood storage. We even have high speed internet. I was up there this weekend with a friend and had a blast.

You don’t need a suburban dream house to be happy. Stop basing your life on other people’s expectations.
View Quote

Where did all y’all you don’t need any ground to own come from?

Bunch of commies..

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 8:27:58 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm very jealous.  If I didn't have a family, I'd live like the Unabomber (mostly minus the bombs).  Well, I'd prefer a barndominium or a Quonset hut with a large garage for my junk cars and trucks.  Oh, and I'd like one of those stainless toilets with the sink on the back in the domicile portion of my barndominium/Quonset hut.  My wife would never go for it though.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 8:30:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Good for him to downsize. If he is happy, so be it.

I like sewer - me no like septic nonsense.

I could care less if its city or well water, but rain water coming off your roof is a non starter for me. Dig a fucking well.

So much bacteria and chems with roof water. That stuff has to be uber filtered.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 8:40:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: taliv] [#28]
Fwiw on the water issue, in TN we avg about 3-4” of rain per month.  My shed roof is 40’x12’ and one inch of rain is about 300 gal in my 1100 gal tank.  I’m almost at the 2 year mark and I’ve never even used half the tank.  I have drained it for maintenance a few times and it’s always full a few weeks later. Maybe different if you’re in the city but out here the rain is 100x cleaner than anything coming out of a tap in town.  
One difference is I use an incinerator toilet instead of a flush toilet so that saves quite a bit of water.  

On permits, in this county no building permits.  There are statewide requirements for septic and well permits. If you connect to the electric company then everything has to be to code. But if you don’t then no building permits.  

Edit: and the comments about needing storage are right on.  My plans include a fairly large garage but mostly I’m building a large root cellar for storage.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 8:53:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By pdm:
I wish the guy the best. I chose a different route which was to make a shit ton of money so I wouldn't have to live in a storage shed.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:08:06 AM EDT
[#30]
I've got a similar setup on 40 acres. I've got a couple of sheds for my workshop and reloading stuff and a small shitbox trailer to live in withy crazy dog.
I've got 2 2500 gallon water tanks and a septic tank.
I've got 2 large solar arrays and a big lead acid battery bank.  I heat with wood.
I got tired of 70 and 80 hour work weeks, high property taxes of living in town, close neighbors, etc.
I have a small 3d printer farm, mill, lathe, and other tools I run off of solar power that pay the bills.
It's not the typical mansion most on here live in but I like the freedom and not being around the citiots.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:13:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:
Yes.
View Quote

Yeah I was gonna say that seemed like a crazy good price installed since that more or less just covered materials. Good for you DIYing it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:17:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:24:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:28:55 AM EDT
[#34]
It's America, "free to be you and me" and all that.
That being said, I kinda feel like no one wants to live in a shed - they live in a shed because they have to.
I dunno, that's just me.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:32:58 AM EDT
[#35]
My brother wants to do this.
I don't get it. If I don't have to live like that, I don't want to. I love my A/C, I love my fast food, my cars, my video games, my internet.
I'll save living like a post-apocalyptic survivalist for when the apocalypse is over.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:38:22 AM EDT
[#36]

Great minds talk about ideas.  Small minds talk about people.

Jealousy is a horrible personality flaw, friend.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Triggerstuck:

Yea, that’s gonna be about $8k a month.

https://i.postimg.cc/d3M4ZXRL/IMG-3171.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.postimg.cc/d3M4ZXRL/IMG-3171.jpg

Great minds talk about ideas.  Small minds talk about people.

Jealousy is a horrible personality flaw, friend.

Just some dry humor, sport.

I’ve shared my off grid/grid tied life a few times here.  No jealousy, I’ve got it all covered.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:49:28 AM EDT
[#37]

Now this is a useful post, with informative numbers.  Unlike the original video we are discussing…

Not sure where I could find 10 acres for 30k though, might be pretty damned far in BFE.  Further than I have been looking, and I have looked pretty damned far.
View All Quotes

I’m on 10 acres, the land  was $30k, the cabin was $15k, solar as it is now was about $3k, woodstove is 1k used and installed, well was $13k, fridge was 1k,…… There are incidentals along the way that add up, but I doubt I have $60k in my place and I could live there year round if I walked out the door right now.

If you use my numbers and a minimal amount of land, you could probably do it for $30k. Let’s say he bought 2 acres at $6k, 8k for the building, $1k for the stove, $1k for the water tank, $6k for the solar, 1k for a fridge…. That’s $22k and a lot of room left over to make it comfortable.

Now this is a useful post, with informative numbers.  Unlike the original video we are discussing…

Not sure where I could find 10 acres for 30k though, might be pretty damned far in BFE.  Further than I have been looking, and I have looked pretty damned far.

I bought my 40 acres for $12,500 it pays to shop around.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:50:51 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By runcible:
It's America, "free to be you and me" and all that.
That being said, I kinda feel like no one wants to live in a shed - they live in a shed because they have to.
I dunno, that's just me.
View Quote

There’s two aspects to this.  The size and the shed.  

As far as size goes, lots of people prefer it.  I’ve downsized from a 3 story 4500sq ft house.  It was great for raising a family but now I want a very small low maintenance living space and a big garage.   Much like overlanding, there’s a lifestyle aspect most don’t understand.  You don’t live IN it. You live OUT of it.  For people who spend their time watching tv all day and staying indoors, yeah you’re not going to like the size and will get cabin fever pretty fast.  For people who like to be mostly outdoors doing stuff all day, it’s awesome.  Less to clean, maintenance is easier.  Etc.  I’d rather go ride a motorcycle for a couple hours or go shoot than sit at home binge watching communist lgbtwtfbbq propaganda.  

As far as the shed goes, yeah that’s mostly a cheap and easy option.  In my case, I tried for a year during Covid to find a builder but all the decent ones were busy with McMansions and were quoting 2 years before they’d get around to my project. Meanwhile, the custom shed business was telling me they’d be done in less than a month and sure enough it took four days to build the shell.

For me, long term plan is a modest size house that’s still off grid.  I had 30 years in fortune 10 IT and knew nothing about construction and didn’t own any tools.  So the shed for me was a chance to learn on something affordable. I didn’t want to dump $500k into a house and it be a total disaster because I spec’d all the systems out wrong.    I’ve really learned a LOT in 2 yrs but I prob have another year of tweaking stuff before I’m really done with the shed/education.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:57:15 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By peanutman:

Where did all y’all you don’t need any ground to own come from?

Bunch of commies..

View Quote

Huh? Your what hurts?
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:59:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By norseman1:
Good for him to downsize. If he is happy, so be it.

I like sewer - me no like septic nonsense.

I could care less if its city or well water, but rain water coming off your roof is a non starter for me. Dig a fucking well.

So much bacteria and chems with roof water. That stuff has to be uber filtered.
View Quote

A lot of places have no water. If he’s in CO, there is a good chance he has solid rock under his topsoil.

A lot of people in rural areas have trucks come and deliver water a couple of times a year, it’s just part of the deal.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:00:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By taliv:
Fwiw on the water issue, in TN we avg about 3-4” of rain per month.  My shed roof is 40’x12’ and one inch of rain is about 300 gal in my 1100 gal tank.  I’m almost at the 2 year mark and I’ve never even used half the tank.  I have drained it for maintenance a few times and it’s always full a few weeks later. Maybe different if you’re in the city but out here the rain is 100x cleaner than anything coming out of a tap in town.  
One difference is I use an incinerator toilet instead of a flush toilet so that saves quite a bit of water.  

On permits, in this county no building permits.  There are statewide requirements for septic and well permits. If you connect to the electric company then everything has to be to code. But if you don’t then no building permits.  

Edit: and the comments about needing storage are right on.  My plans include a fairly large garage but mostly I’m building a large root cellar for storage.
View Quote

I did a root cellar. Moisture from air exchange has been a huge problem.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:02:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Good for him, but if he truly wants to be independent he needs to work on his health.

He's probably not advertising it, but I'd bet a penny or two he is on some form of medical disability with a body type like that.

He's got that "Don't make many plans after 55" body.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:03:02 AM EDT
[#43]
I would build an outhouse many yards away from the shed.
Then I would install a typical water supplied flush toilet inside the shed with the drainpipe from the toilet leading to and dumping into the pit under the outhouse.
No need for an expensive septic system.
Simples
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:13:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pdm] [#44]
Originally Posted By taliv:

There’s two aspects to this.  The size and the shed.  

As far as size goes, lots of people prefer it.  I’ve downsized from a 3 story 4500sq ft house.  It was great for raising a family but now I want a very small low maintenance living space and a big garage.   Much like overlanding, there’s a lifestyle aspect most don’t understand.  You don’t live IN it. You live OUT of it.  For people who spend their time watching tv all day and staying indoors, yeah you’re not going to like the size and will get cabin fever pretty fast.  For people who like to be mostly outdoors doing stuff all day, it’s awesome.  Less to clean, maintenance is easier.  Etc.  I’d rather go ride a motorcycle for a couple hours or go shoot than sit at home binge watching communist lgbtwtfbbq propaganda.  

As far as the shed goes, yeah that’s mostly a cheap and easy option.  In my case, I tried for a year during Covid to find a builder but all the decent ones were busy with McMansions and were quoting 2 years before they’d get around to my project. Meanwhile, the custom shed business was telling me they’d be done in less than a month and sure enough it took four days to build the shell.

For me, long term plan is a modest size house that’s still off grid.  I had 30 years in fortune 10 IT and knew nothing about construction and didn’t own any tools.  So the shed for me was a chance to learn on something affordable. I didn’t want to dump $500k into a house and it be a total disaster because I spec’d all the systems out wrong.    I’ve really learned a LOT in 2 yrs but I prob have another year of tweaking stuff before I’m really done with the shed/education.
View Quote

Your situation is the difference between want and need.  

You want to live and learn in this lifestyle and if it's not amenable to your wants you seem to have the resources to move on. Many of these shed folks seem to have the need to live like this as they lack resources and options. I don't view the need to live in a shed as necessarily a negative though it does indicate poor life choices, at least from the financial sense.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:48:06 AM EDT
[#45]

A lot of places have no water. If he’s in CO, there is a good chance he has solid rock under his topsoil.

A lot of people in rural areas have trucks come and deliver water a couple of times a year, it’s just part of the deal.
View Quote

Yeah, CO is not ideal at all from a "self sufficiency" standpoint when it comes to water. Water rights in the state are totally fucked. Plus well, the state is rapidly turning into CA 2.0, so its fucked there too.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 11:02:15 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By BillofRights:
I like it, but he's doing it in the laziest, shittiest way possible.

Imagine having No debt, low expenses, and a JOB which allowes you to invest $10,000 per month.    Do that for 10-12 years or so, and you'd be pretty well set.  

The way he's doing it now, he just wants to be a welfare mooch.
View Quote

So anybody with half a brain should just start with no debt, earn $250,000 (pay taxes), live on $45k and invest $120,000.

Brilliant!!  

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 11:15:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: miseses] [#47]
Originally Posted By jackthom8:

Are laws different in your state regarding living in rural land? Here in CA it's illegal to live on your own land for more than 21 days unless it has a county approved septic system installed.
View Quote

Buy plot, split it, then build two <200 sq ft buildings, each facing each other and near the edge of the plot.  Let the county try to prove which of the two buildings/properties you were in on any given day, good fuckin luck.  If you really want to be a troll, split the property into a pizza with 8+ slices each with buildings near the center.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 11:20:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: miseses] [#48]
Originally Posted By cmw:

So anybody with half a brain should just start with no debt, earn $250,000 (pay taxes), live on $45k and invest $120,000.

Brilliant!!  

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cmw:
Originally Posted By BillofRights:
I like it, but he's doing it in the laziest, shittiest way possible.

Imagine having No debt, low expenses, and a JOB which allowes you to invest $10,000 per month.    Do that for 10-12 years or so, and you'd be pretty well set.  

The way he's doing it now, he just wants to be a welfare mooch.

Brilliant!!  

The way the state gets most people is most people have children.  Society will convince your wife that you're a low-life if you drop out, so she'll simply divorce you for living in the shed 'for the good of the children.'

'For the good of the children' the judge will then impute your income at whatever you could potentially earn living in a city with the best of skills he thinks you have (if you can start with nothing and get to on-grid powered and plumbed shed by yourself good chance that's 100k annual salary worth of skills you have under ideal conditions in an expensive city so lets say they impute child support at 20k a year) .  Then you're on the hook for 20% (pretax) 30% (post-tax) of that.  When you eventually can't come up with that from whatever rural work is available they'll simply evict you, auction off the shed, take your licenses/passports and then toss you in jail.  This is the real reason why most people don't live in the shed minimizing on-the-books work they have to do, and instead 90% of the time it's retired people.  Young people, 90% of the time a woman comes around (who probably seems super enthusiastic about shed-life) and as soon as the kid pops out she pulls she aforementioned shenanigans.

Now if you somehow convince your wife to live in the shed with the kids, then you can read the story of how much CPS harasses off-grid folks.  Unless you are some group who could accuse them of racism, like Indians or the Amish.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 1:22:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Classier than a quonset but nowhere near the room.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:52:51 PM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

You have to compromise if you want cheap.  I checked land.com and came up with 100+ listings 10+ acres up to $30k. If you bump that to $50k the number of listings about triples.  I was looking at TN, KY, MS and AL.

Honestly unless you back up to national forest I'd think about 40 acres would serve better but the budget is what it is. And obviously due diligence is important.  Access, power (if needed) perk test, water rights, flood plain, etc all make a big difference.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top