BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:46:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By S-1:
Stoeger knows how to shoot, that's for sure. I would like to take one of his classes.

With that being said, he is a grade A shit talker and is kind of weird. He seems to have a hard on for SOF guys. Dunno, could be that he just lost his hotty GF to one and it was rumored that his ex wife also took a liking to yoked out SOF Chads.
View Quote

This is the best example of projection I ever seen on this site. Lol
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:48:45 PM EDT
[#2]
for when you just got to eyeball it all up
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 8:49:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Usernames:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Usernames:
Stoeger knows how to shoot, that's for sure. I would like to take one of his classes.

With that being said, he is a grade A shit talker and is kind of weird. He seems to have a hard on for SOF guys. Dunno, could be that he just lost his hotty GF to one and it was rumored that his ex wife also took a liking to yoked out SOF Chads.

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:14:15 PM EDT
[#4]
He seems to have a hard on for SOF guys. Dunno, could be that he just lost his hotty GF to one and it was rumored that his ex wife also took a liking to yoked out SOF Chads.
View Quote

This reads like something you'd find on r/TacticalGear
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:18:56 PM EDT
[#5]

View Quote

I think he has a hard on for people that think prior service means they know how to shoot. The guys he shoots all the time with are prior SOF dudes. Bruiser industry and X-ray alpha.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 4:24:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 4:54:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By testosteroneOD:
I've taken a few of his classes. I learned a lot and improved quite a bit. He was helpful and seemed to care. I was the least experienced in our training classes and he spent extra time with me to make sure I learned and understood.
Seems like this community just likes to tear people down and eat its own. It's really disappointing.
View Quote
We definitely eat our own.
Unfortunate because the lefty's always stick together.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:20:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Missilegeek:

Is he doing that? Or is it a sales technique? Get both?

When he says Sawdeer I cringe. I spent a year in East Baghdad, we used that name a lot. Practically every day. He is the first one I've ever heard that says Sadr that way. Weird.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By macman37:
Has anyone watched the video that clip came from by chance?

There's so much more context than just a little clip that someone rips apart.

Yes, it's an hour and 16 minutes. Suck it up, you need the context if you want to have the discussion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwB0JckG-bw

It's a pretty good video, and I like both of those guys. But watching the whole thing doesn't really add any meaningful context to this discussion. Stoeger's point is still valid.

Haley does clearly have a huge ego, tends to bloviate and over complicate things. There are multiple examples of him doing these things in that video. Stoeger just found the most efficient clip.

That doesn't make Haley a bad guy overall, nor does it make his training bad.

You watched it - Props.

I mean, I’m not even saying Haley’s on to something here, but I get why someone in the training field might want to engage the services of people who could help him impart knowledge better. Get around human deficiencies. Talk to a wide range of professional people and aggregate what he learns into a curriculum.

That’s all I’m saying. We’ve known how to impart knowledge for centuries… I don’t blame a guy for trying to find new and innovative ways to teach modern students.

Is he doing that? Or is it a sales technique? Get both?

When he says Sawdeer I cringe. I spent a year in East Baghdad, we used that name a lot. Practically every day. He is the first one I've ever heard that says Sadr that way. Weird.

Well if this thread is any indication if it’s a sales technique, it is failing hard. and honestly he and Haley Strategic do marketing pretty well, so I personally would rule that out.

Re: syntax, IIRC he’s a Southern boy, Florida maybe? Might just be how he talks sometimes. I have some of the Magpul videos and every once in a while there’s a dragged-out syllable. It played havoc with the closed captioning, I can tell you that.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:39:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By M4A1:
View All Quotes
I've taken a few of his classes. I learned a lot and improved quite a bit. He was helpful and seemed to care. I was the least experienced in our training classes and he spent extra time with me to make sure I learned and understood.
Seems like this community just likes to tear people down and eat its own. It's really disappointing.

Anyone who has been around the gun world at any level is aware of the staggering level of clowns involved at every level so I think that's a big driver of the skepticism. A lot of times I see reasonable criticism catergorized as attacks and eating our own. I think Haley is extremely intelligent and in no way a clown. I've listened to him talk on a few different subjects and he always seems well prepared and informed which is certainly something that cannot be said for a lot of people that claim to be experts.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:57:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

Anyone who has been around the gun world at any level is aware of the staggering level of clowns involved at every level so I think that's a big driver of the skepticism. A lot of times I see reasonable criticism catergorized as attacks and eating our own. I think Haley is extremely intelligent and in no way a clown. I've listened to him talk on a few different subjects and he always seems well prepared and informed which is certainly something that cannot be said for a lot of people that claim to be experts.
View Quote

There are turkey shoot experts and there are 9 year stint at CAG, assaulter experts. Both are smart but in this case I think the latter one is going to have more real World knowledge/experience on fast, up close, dynamic shooting.

Matt and Ben are mostly on the same page when it comes to theory, methodology, and training practices.

I think Travis is a great guy and I am glad he is on our side but I do believe he overcomplicates things. That said, he caters to a specific type of clientele and I'm sure they are fine with him.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:58:16 PM EDT
[#11]
At some point I wish all these guys would shoot in some big matches so we can really see which “systems” prevail.
View Quote

Are you 17 years old or something?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 2:03:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Then there's places like Gunsite
View Quote

Gunsite has gone broke like 3 times already. And I doubt they're making a lot of money right now.

NCPatrolAR is right. There are very, very few in the business making serious money. TDI has done very well for John, but he's one of the few who has a facility that's been able to stay solvent and/or profitable in the long term. The facilities themselves eat money with upkeep. No doubt part of his success with TDI is that it's the middle of nowhere Ohio.

The training world is tiny.

There are a small number of people who can make a good living at it, and those few who can have spent a very long time building their ability to do so.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 2:06:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By John_Wayne777:

Gunsite has gone broke like 3 times already. And I doubt they're making a lot of money right now.

NCPatrolAR is right. There are very, very few in the business making serious money. TDI has done very well for John, but he's one of the few who has a facility that's been able to stay solvent and/or profitable in the long term. The facilities themselves eat money with upkeep. No doubt part of his success with TDI is that it's the middle of nowhere Ohio.

The training world is tiny.

There are a small number of people who can make a good living at it, and those few who can have spent a very long time building their ability to do so.
View Quote

Fools!
Do wedding venues on the side! Alcohol! Emotions! Guns! Perfect!
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 2:47:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Bogdan:

View All Quotes
At some point I wish all these guys would shoot in some big matches so we can really see which “systems” prevail.

To see them do force on force against each other would probably be badass actually.

Have them take turns being the bad guys and good guys with simunitions would be interesting as hell. Both of them would probably learn something new.

I’m sure if they could monetize it…
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 2:55:08 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

He has a hard on for "instructors" that peddle BS
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 2:56:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By BMSMB:

He has a hard on for "instructors" that peddle BS
View Quote

Just so happened that there are a lot of them out there.

He’s got plenty of them to bash
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 3:01:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Never_A_Wick:

Just so happened that there are a lot of them out there.

He’s got plenty of them to bash
View Quote

Bro, do you even do resistance training while acquiring a sight picture?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 3:14:40 PM EDT
[#18]

Bro, do you even do resistance training while acquiring a sight picture?
View Quote

Years ago I had my suspicions about Zero, he’s making those suspicions easier to believe nowadays.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 3:29:37 PM EDT
[#19]

Years ago I had my suspicions about Zero, he’s making those suspicions easier to believe nowadays.
View Quote

The benefit of training myself and learning from competitive shooter podcasts is that I don't actually know who these clowns are other than when they're being mocked!
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 4:16:34 PM EDT
[#20]

The benefit of training myself and learning from competitive shooter podcasts is that I don't actually know who these clowns are other than when they're being mocked!
View Quote

I feel bad for people who give their money to people like Zero and Haley.

You could spend a comparative pittance on books/timer and watch videos from the right people…become a better shooter on your own.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 4:32:39 PM EDT
[#21]

You could spend a comparative pittance on books/timer and watch videos from the right people…become a better shooter on your own.
View Quote

People don't understand that it is way more of a practiced skill than simple learned knowledge.... and the learned knowledge part won't take you anywhere without continued practice
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:32:06 PM EDT
[#22]

View All Quotes

What does that even mean? Did you not understand my statement? Matches weed out bullshit really quickly.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:48:31 PM EDT
[#23]

What does that even mean? Did you not understand my statement? Matches weed out bullshit really quickly.
View Quote

He clearly doesn’t understand.

But yeah.  Throw em all together at a major and see how they do.

Probably get dragged by most of C class.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:10:32 PM EDT
[#24]

View All Quotes

No offense but that’s a Dunning-Kruger answer. You would do much better, much faster with proper feedback from people who know better, AKA instructors, and the right ones are worth maybe not gold, but a lot.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:12:25 PM EDT
[#25]

View All Quotes

Agree. Good post.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:20:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Never_A_Wick] [#26]

No offense but that’s a Dunning-Kruger answer. You would do much better, much faster with proper feedback from people who know better, AKA instructors, and the right ones are worth maybe not gold, but a lot.
View Quote

Granted knowing what I know, yeah I think it’s completely retarded to use any of these boutique instructors wotbojtbcredentials(I am looking at it from a shooting, not tactics, perspective)

Someone who knows absolutely nothing is going to benefit, but that’s a pretty low bar.  They also might pick up some pretty retarded concepts and habits.

There’s nothing wrong with teaching yourself.  I haven’t taken any classes yet and I’m almost to M class in about a year and an half of serious shooting, and do quite well in matches against people who have been shooting much longer than I.  That isn’t to say I won’t benefit from a class.  But I think self teaching with materials from “good” instructors is better than getting bad training.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:26:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By -Ascent-:

Why do you say that?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By -Ascent-:
Originally Posted By RePp:
Originally Posted By ecgRN:
I've taken a Haley class. It helped immensely. I understood and saw where the science applied.

Different methods for different people.

I missed the Glover class here due to injury, but I suspect it would have been completely different. Yet still very beneficial.

Lovell is on the short list. Again, I'm sure it'll be different but I'll take away a ton of new and differently presented information.

Glover is a complete fucking clown.

Why do you say that?
The fact that he cheated his way to a Grand Master card.

Dude is a cheater and a liar.  Fuck him.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:29:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By SV650Squid:
The fact that he cheated his way to a Grand Master card.

Dude is a cheater and a liar.  Fuck him.
View Quote

Uh, Glover doesn’t have a GM classification.  I don’t even think he’s a USPSA member.

Are you confusing him with Tony Cowden?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:31:14 PM EDT
[#29]

Uh, Glover doesn’t have a GM classification.  I don’t even think he’s a USPSA member.

View Quote

Man Cowden is the worst of the worst when it comes to POS.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:33:06 PM EDT
[#30]

True.

And being a world class competitive shooter means little for being an instructor on tactics and self defense.

It's like comparing track stars and wide receivers. Two separate sports with some key overlapping skill sets.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BaconFat:
Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:

Travis and Costa hit the Holy Grail of training with the internet and DVD stuff. And availability of legit training.

Going to Gunsite or Thunder Ranch or even a Tiger class was not something that your semi-average gun dude did.

We now have 20+ years of LE/MIL guys rolling out classes and guys with neither but attending classes now instructing.

20+ years of LE/Mil means little for being a top notch shooting instructor or shooter in general.

True.

And being a world class competitive shooter means little for being an instructor on tactics and self defense.

It's like comparing track stars and wide receivers. Two separate sports with some key overlapping skill sets.
How so?

The majority of defensive shootings are a race to see who can get effective shots on target first.

Competitive shooting is a race to see who can get effective shots on target the fastest.

"Tactics" aside from situational awareness are largely overblown in importance.

It's a skill issue.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:35:50 PM EDT
[#31]

Man Cowden is the worst of the worst when it comes to POS.
View Quote

Glover is a dipshit and tells fairy tales but I don’t really think he’s a bad person per se.

Cowden is a piece of shit, a liar and a bad human.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:36:06 PM EDT
[#32]

Uh, Glover doesn't have a GM classification.  I don't even think he's a USPSA member.

View Quote
Yes, I am. mb
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:36:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RePp] [#33]

Glover is a dipshit and tells fairy tales but I don’t really think he’s a bad person per se.

Cowden is a piece of shit, a liar and a bad human.
View Quote

Agreed. A lying POS that gets caught cheating at everything he does. I do get a good laugh how he threatens to fight everyone.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:41:11 PM EDT
[#34]

Agreed. A lying POS that gets caught cheating at everything he does. I do get a good laugh how he threatens to fight everyone.
View Quote

I think he gets drunk and does that and then usually deletes it once he realizes what an ass he looks like
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:50:54 PM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

This post is gayer than cum on a mustache.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:21:04 PM EDT
[#36]

Granted knowing what I know, yeah I think it’s completely retarded to use any of these boutique instructors wotbojtbcredentials(I am looking at it from a shooting, not tactics, perspective)

Someone who knows absolutely nothing is going to benefit, but that’s a pretty low bar.  They also might pick up some pretty retarded concepts and habits.

There’s nothing wrong with teaching yourself.  I haven’t taken any classes yet and I’m almost to M class in about a year and an half of serious shooting, and do quite well in matches against people who have been shooting much longer than I.  That isn’t to say I won’t benefit from a class.  But I think self teaching with materials from “good” instructors is better than getting bad training.
View Quote

Good instructors will let you know what you need to work on, and will teach you how to properly practice it
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:21:35 PM EDT
[#37]
How so?

The majority of defensive shootings are a race to see who can get effective shots on target first.

Competitive shooting is a race to see who can get effective shots on target the fastest.

It's a skill issue.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BaconFat:
Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:

Travis and Costa hit the Holy Grail of training with the internet and DVD stuff. And availability of legit training.

Going to Gunsite or Thunder Ranch or even a Tiger class was not something that your semi-average gun dude did.

We now have 20+ years of LE/MIL guys rolling out classes and guys with neither but attending classes now instructing.

20+ years of LE/Mil means little for being a top notch shooting instructor or shooter in general.

True.

How so?

It's a skill issue.

If all you're preparing for is to use your CCW at the gas station or atm, then I guess so.

But then at the other end if the spectrum, there's the reason behind the 2A, where a greater understanding of weapons and tactics is far more important than your pistolero skills.

Then there's everything between those two scenarios and ends of the spectrum.

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:24:33 PM EDT
[#38]

If all you're preparing for is to use your CCW at the gas station or atm, then I guess so.

But then at the other end if the spectrum, there's the reason behind the 2A, where a greater understanding of weapons and tactics is far more important than your pistolero skills.

View Quote

Those skills relating to what the 2A is for, are skills that you need to be doing in conjunction with at least a fireteam or squad... how much time do tactical instructors spend teaching "I'm up, he sees me, I'm down"?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:38:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Missilegeek] [#39]

Those skills relating to what the 2A is for, are skills that you need to be doing in conjunction with at least a fireteam or squad... how much time do tactical instructors spend teaching "I'm up, he sees me, I'm down"?
View All Quotes

If they will listen and follow, it is pretty easy to lead physically fit guys, who are proficient with their weapons and the basics. It's why the SF FID model works when it does.

I've seen some of the civilian tactical training that helps with the basics of fire and maneuver. While good for teaching marksmanship and weapons handling, much of the rifle competition shooting I've seen is in many ways antithetical to fire and maneuver training.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:46:31 PM EDT
[#40]

If they will listen and follow, it is pretty easy to lead physically fit guys, who are proficient with their weapons and the basics. It's why the SF FID model works when it does.

I've seen some of the civilian tactical training that helps with the basics of fire and maneuver. While good for teaching marksmanship and weapons handling, much of the rifle competition shooting I've seen is in many ways antithetical to fire and maneuver training.
View Quote

That's because it's a competition based on shooting... not tactical maneuvers.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:57:26 PM EDT
[#41]

View All Quotes

Yeah the comment that started this derail was that they are two different things, with a few overlapping skillsets.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:57:26 PM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

People should invest in this:

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:12:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By sierra-def:

https://pact.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/CT3-TOP-scaled.jpg
View All Quotes

Just for discussion sake:

Thunder Rants! (Ep. 1): Gun + Life Wisdom from Clint Smith

At the ~ 4:30 mark, a pretty experienced and well respected trainer says "I figured it out, I've never seen a stopwatch in a fight, I've never met someone who has seen a stopwatch in a fight ok? I'm not worried about YOU shooting fast in a fight. If YOU get a heart rate of 220, and shit in your shorts, YOU will shoot fast. So will everyone else. It isn't about shooting fast, it's about shooting good."

FWIW, I am doing dry fire tonight, with that exact shot timer lol.

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:23:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Shooting under score and time constraints is pressure.

Reacting to being shot act: drawing, returning fire/moving to cover, putting info out over the radio is a whole different kind of pressure.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:25:03 PM EDT
[#45]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXGnq1iKrUU

At the ~ 4:30 mark, a pretty experienced and well respected trainer says "I figured it out, I've never seen a stopwatch in a fight, I've never met someone who has seen a stopwatch in a fight ok? I'm not worried about YOU shooting fast in a fight. If YOU get a heart rate of 220, and shit in your shorts, YOU will shoot fast. So will everyone else. It isn't about shooting fast, it's about shooting good."

View Quote

That falls in line with the same kind of thinking Ken Hackathorn has about red dots on pistols.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:35:42 PM EDT
[#46]
I believe Scott Jedlinksi referred to Ben Stoeger as "weaponized autism." After taking the Modern Samurai Project class I can see where Scott probably learned a lot from Ben Stoegers class.  

I find Ben funny and hope to take one of his classes.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:57:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M4DUDE] [#47]

View All Quotes

Insane levels of hubris can sometimes be entertaining.  Clint Smith is exactly what many people want in firearms instruction.  Lots of swearing, lots of stories, and a subtle sale of why he's the best and nobody else can teach you what he can, and you'll be so much more badass if you just listen to him.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:59:33 PM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

Hmm... seems like it would be important to learn how to shoot good before that situation then... if you want to learn to shoot good, while doing it fast... competition is where you'll learn it the best.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:02:16 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By M4DUDE:

Insane levels of hubris can sometimes be entertaining.  Clint Smith is exactly what many people want in firearms instruction.  Lots of swearing, lots of stories, and a subtle sale of why he's the best and nobody else can teach you what he can, and you'll be so much more badass if you just listen to him.
View Quote

If im going to a class, I dont want war stories... I want someone that can actually diagnose what I need to do to improve my shooting... VERY few tactical instructors are going to be good enough shooters to do that.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:07:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: M4DUDE] [#50]

If im going to a class, I dont want war stories... I want someone that can actually diagnose what I need to do to improve my shooting... VERY few tactical instructors are going to be good enough shooters to do that.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By M4DUDE:

Agree.  I was just politely saying that some people just want firearms fantasy camp.

In fact, it's not just some people... it's LOTS of people.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top