BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:10:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By M4DUDE:

Agree.  I was just politely saying that some people just want firearms fantasy camp.

In fact, it's not just some people... it's LOTS of people.
View Quote

Gun people like story time...

Shooters want quality instruction.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 2:32:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Missilegeek:

Just for discussion sake:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXGnq1iKrUU

At the ~ 4:30 mark, a pretty experienced and well respected trainer says "I figured it out, I've never seen a stopwatch in a fight, I've never met someone who has seen a stopwatch in a fight ok? I'm not worried about YOU shooting fast in a fight. If YOU get a heart rate of 220, and shit in your shorts, YOU will shoot fast. So will everyone else. It isn't about shooting fast, it's about shooting good."

FWIW, I am doing dry fire tonight, with that exact shot timer lol.

View Quote

It's about shooting fast AND good.

Not many people can do that.  Including many tactimmays.

For the vast majority, rounds start going everywhere but the intended target when you step on the gas.

Need evidence?   Every police shooting where 100 rounds are expended and the perp gets hit twice.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 3:21:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Never_A_Wick:
Need evidence?   Every police shooting where 100 rounds are expended and the perp gets hit twice.
View Quote

They are better at body slamming 18 yo girls.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 6:41:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By sierra-def:

They are better at body slamming 18 yo girls.
View Quote

LOL seems so.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 8:46:01 AM EDT
[#5]

View Quote

Including many of the Timmay instructors.  They teach self limiting techniques that create training ruts that students will have to unlearn if they want to progress to the next level, but since the Instructor was never able to get to that level, they don't know the problem they are creating.  

Ben Stoeger calling out shit instructors and their BS is great the shooting community.  But tactical timmays won't listen because they just want the fantasy and not the skill
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 9:10:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

What does that even mean? Did you not understand my statement? Matches weed out bullshit really quickly.
View Quote

The reason I am asking your age is because Travis Haley was introduced to the "world" through a certain video.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 9:16:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Najaf Iraq Travis Haley Blackwater
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 9:18:36 AM EDT
[#8]

Granted knowing what I know, yeah I think it’s completely retarded to use any of these boutique instructors wotbojtbcredentials(I am looking at it from a shooting, not tactics, perspective)

Someone who knows absolutely nothing is going to benefit, but that’s a pretty low bar.  They also might pick up some pretty retarded concepts and habits.

There’s nothing wrong with teaching yourself.  I haven’t taken any classes yet and I’m almost to M class in about a year and an half of serious shooting, and do quite well in matches against people who have been shooting much longer than I.  That isn’t to say I won’t benefit from a class.  But I think self teaching with materials from “good” instructors is better than getting bad training.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By macman37:

No offense but that’s a Dunning-Kruger answer. You would do much better, much faster with proper feedback from people who know better, AKA instructors, and the right ones are worth maybe not gold, but a lot.

Granted knowing what I know, yeah I think it’s completely retarded to use any of these boutique instructors wotbojtbcredentials(I am looking at it from a shooting, not tactics, perspective)

Someone who knows absolutely nothing is going to benefit, but that’s a pretty low bar.  They also might pick up some pretty retarded concepts and habits.

There’s nothing wrong with teaching yourself.  I haven’t taken any classes yet and I’m almost to M class in about a year and an half of serious shooting, and do quite well in matches against people who have been shooting much longer than I.  That isn’t to say I won’t benefit from a class.  But I think self teaching with materials from “good” instructors is better than getting bad training.

You are in the distinct minority then. Rock on - sincerely - but don’t go thinking the average Joe can do that.

I’ve seen a lot of shooters since I started shooting, nearly all of them would benefit greatly from professional instruction. I know I have.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 10:15:30 AM EDT
[#9]

You are in the distinct minority then. Rock on - sincerely - but don’t go thinking the average Joe can do that.

I’ve seen a lot of shooters since I started shooting, nearly all of them would benefit greatly from professional instruction. I know I have.
View All Quotes

No offense but that’s a Dunning-Kruger answer. You would do much better, much faster with proper feedback from people who know better, AKA instructors, and the right ones are worth maybe not gold, but a lot.

What percentage of people own guns? 35-55% maybe?

Of those, how many have any training beyond what dad, grandpa or a friend taught them about holding a weapon and safety basics? I'd say that covers 75-90+ % of gun owners. Some or most of what little they were taught, is probably wrong.

The guys who are military trained or went to a course or two, how often do they shoot? I know a lot of gun owning vets, most of them shoot 1-2 times a year. The majority really didn't shoot much or learn much about it, while in the military.

The vast majority of competition people I've met go to the range or a competition an average of once a month. They have basic proficiency with a pistol or rifle (very few are proficient with both). Of the guys decent with a rifle, you've generally got one group who is good with a tactical rifle to maybe 500 or 600 yards. Then he got the long range guys who are good at that, but usually not as handy with an AR. It is pretty obvious that most of these people do not do dry fire or go to the range much outside of the matches. People have jobs and other responsibilities.

It's true that most of the tactical trainer guys could be better shooters, if they shot and competed more. And the thing most of the competition bros don't want to admit, is that they have a lot to learn about tactics. There's a few Grand Masters around the local area... I have never seen them shooting rifles. And if they did so regularly, I almost certainly would have seen them.

No one knows everything, and very few people are truly trained or experienced at any of this stuff. Few people have a basic proficiency with a rifle and pistol. Very very few people are proficient with both rifles and pistols and can shoot rifles out to 500+ yards. Aside from the Green Berets who occasionally show up to local matches, I can count on one hand the number of guys I've seen who are proficient with a rifle, pistol and might have a clue about tactics.

So yeah the vast majority of people could benefit significantly from shooting competition and / or taking a training course.

I don't agree with everything Clint says, but he has been a trainer for decades. He has and can instruct people how to obtain basic proficiency with a pistol and a rifle at short and long range. A lot of people talking shit here do not have a basic proficiency at those three things.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 10:28:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Wolfstone:
I lost all respect for the man when he came out with his Banana speech video.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

LOL. True, think I can say the same.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 10:35:02 AM EDT
[#11]

For the vast majority, rounds start going everywhere but the intended target when you step on the gas.

View All Quotes

Just for discussion sake:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXGnq1iKrUU

At the ~ 4:30 mark, a pretty experienced and well respected trainer says "I figured it out, I've never seen a stopwatch in a fight, I've never met someone who has seen a stopwatch in a fight ok? I'm not worried about YOU shooting fast in a fight. If YOU get a heart rate of 220, and shit in your shorts, YOU will shoot fast. So will everyone else. It isn't about shooting fast, it's about shooting good."

FWIW, I am doing dry fire tonight, with that exact shot timer lol.

That's one of the things that separates competition from real life. In a real fight, "missing" is almost a given, and more often than not, isn't a bad thing. Real targets are a lot more complex. And suppressing fire is an important thing.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 10:36:43 AM EDT
[#12]

That's one of the things that separates competition from real life. In a real fight, "missing" is almost a given, and more often than not, isn't a bad thing. Real targets are a lot more complex. And suppressing fire is an important thing.
View Quote

Missing isn't a bad thing  Wow
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 10:39:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Advance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDoX8UnQ4D0
View Quote
He's entertrainment (stolen from Pranka).  If it wasn't for Najaf he'd be a nobody.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 10:45:02 AM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

American Gunfighter Episode 6 - Making Noise
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 10:47:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By DernHumpus:
He's entertrainment (stolen from Pranka).  If it wasn't for Najaf he'd be a nobody.
View Quote

How many companies do you own and how does their revenue look like?
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 11:11:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By M4DUDE:

Agree.  I was just politely saying that some people just want firearms fantasy camp.

In fact, it's not just some people... it's LOTS of people.
View Quote

This has been a thing in almost every class I've taken. There are a lot of military enthusiasts in gun culture and to many, it's a highlight to get to meet and shoot with their favorite warfighter, all for a fee.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 11:15:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By PacNW5:

This has been a thing in almost every class I've taken. There are a lot of military enthusiasts in gun culture and to many, it's a highlight to get to meet and shoot with their favorite warfighter, all for a fee.
View Quote

Some people really need to get over the stigma of LARPing and go larp.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 11:24:01 AM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

Missing isn't a good thing.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 11:29:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By S-1:

View All Quotes

Better go tell the military to get rid of all their machine guns and issue everyone a sniper rifle then since missing is automatically bad.

Is a miss as good as a hit? Obviously not. Is it better than doing nothing while you wait for the perfect, guaranteed hit? Almost always.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 11:29:24 AM EDT
[#20]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RePp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxDtKHe21-g

Just making noise is mostly something that happens with some combination of engagement distance, miss distance and experienced / committed enemy. Learning what is, and is not effective suppressive fire, and the speed you can do that, is an art to itself and somewhat unique to every fight. Even "just making noise" can be useful. There are times and places for warning shots.

Suppressing fire is a thing. Often it is "missing" either somewhat intentionally or unintentionally. It's the thing that has enabled the maneuver that ultimately ended the most gunfights. Positional advantage is often decisive.

A lot of untrained people don't know that "missing" is effective fire if it stops or alters the maneuver of your enemy and prevents them from obtaining a position of advantage.

There aren't a lot of "fair" gunfights, won by who is the best shooter. They are mostly won by who has the unfair advantage. Cops know what their advantages are, and that's one of the reasons they "miss" a lot and still win most of the time.

Missing really isn't the right word to describe suppressing fire, because you are still putting rounds more or less where you intend to. I'm sure some one will take something I've said here way out of context or try to pick it apart otherwise, because internet. But yeah anyone who looks at a gunfight and critiques it based solely on hits and misses of people... Doesn't know shit about fighting. That data point, by itself, is pretty meaningless.

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 11:30:20 AM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

You ever have a bullet tickle your ear?
I have never been flatter on the fucking dirt in my life.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 11:31:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Bogdan:

The reason I am asking your age is because Travis Haley was introduced to the "world" through a certain video.
View All Quotes

What does that even mean? Did you not understand my statement? Matches weed out bullshit really quickly.

I have no idea what your point is. I am aware of who Travis Haley is and his background. Can you explain what your point is in regards to my comment?
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 11:34:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bogdan] [#23]

I have no idea what your point is. I am aware of who Travis Haley is and his background. Can you explain what your point is in regards to my comment?
View Quote

Competition comment was really odd at least to me. What they do and teach is a bit limited to "measure" what they are trying to get across.
I just thought you were too young to know who he was and what he did.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 11:36:05 AM EDT
[#24]

View All Quotes

It's usually not all bad either.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 11:54:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By ARCNA442:

Better go tell the military to get rid of all their machine guns and issue everyone a sniper rifle then since missing is automatically bad.

Is a miss as good as a hit? Obviously not. Is it better than doing nothing while you wait for the perfect, guaranteed hit? Almost always.
View Quote

Is the a lot of suppressive fire training in fantasy camp?
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 11:56:44 AM EDT
[#26]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Advance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDoX8UnQ4D0

From what I remember, not a lot of guys rolling around with video cameras, filming themselves in those days.

That by itself is kinda telling to me.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:03:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By BaconFat:

View All Quotes

Military machine gun training is fantasy camp? Lol

When I was in the Army, we spent WAY more time discussing things like support by fire, maneuver, suppressing fire. We trained on it a lot. We did that a whole lot more than playing quick draw mcgraw and shooting static cardboard cutouts, while standing in the open.  

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:22:23 PM EDT
[#28]

View All Quotes

The engagements you’re more likely to see in the civvie world are not the same as massed fire on a terrorist stronghold.

Any civilian trainers should understand that and modify their courses for the student base. Out here in the non-military world, every bullet has a dollar tag attached to it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:30:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BaconFat] [#29]

When I was in the Army, we spent WAY more time discussing things like support by fire, maneuver, suppressing fire. We trained on it a lot. We did that a whole lot more than playing quick draw mcgraw and shooting static cardboard cutouts, while standing in the open.  

View Quote

Yeah. In the army.  That's not fantasy camp. This is a bunch of overweight larpers playing on the weekend

So is there alot of machine gun work in your weekend fantasy camp

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:31:25 PM EDT
[#30]

The engagements you’re more likely to see in the civvie world are not the same as massed fire on a terrorist stronghold.

Any civilian trainers should understand that and modify their courses for the student base. Out here in the non-military world, every bullet has a dollar tag attached to it.
View All Quotes

I agree with what you are saying. However, the principles of fire and maneuver still do apply at the individual and small team level.

This cop was suppressed, flanked and murdered by one dude who started the fight out by "missing"  

Dramatic Footage Shows Dallas Officer Shot

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:34:24 PM EDT
[#31]

Yeah. In the army.  That's not fantasy camp that a bunch of overweight larpers go to on the weekend

View All Quotes

Yeah. In the army.  That's not fantasy camp that a bunch of overweight larpers go to on the weekend

If you don't wanna believe in suppressive fire and it's merits in gunfighting, that's fine. You are just showing your ignorance. I am sure you are a great competition shooter, which sorta helps illuminate a lot of my points about that community. My days of not taking you serious are coming to a middle.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:56:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NCPatrolAR] [#32]
go find someone that can make you better and train with them whether they are LE/Mil or competition based.  The egos on both sides of the fence, when it comes to this, can be astounding at times.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:09:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:20:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Is suppressive fire a thing in the real world with family, friends, and strangers children running around? A miss is a miss and you own it. A shot you take with no bad guy in the picture should still be aimed at something (brick wall, dirt, something). I believe in the value of keeping someone’s head down but just shooting for sound seems dumb outside of a war zone.

If you are actively shooting at someone, seems like being able to hit them is significantly more valuable tactically as well as more valuable for the safety of everyone else in the area.

Maybe all you tactards are right…only tactics count, actual skill with a firearm will get you killlllt in da streetz.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:21:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Keep it simple aka shut up and shoot some steel with your pistols.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:28:49 PM EDT
[#36]

If you don't wanna believe in suppressive fire and it's merits in gunfighting, that's fine. You are just showing your ignorance. I am sure you are a great competition shooter, which sorta helps illuminate a lot of my points about that community. My days of not taking you serious are coming to a middle.
View Quote

You learning to fight as a team and lay down suppressive fire in Travis class?  Any non military class teach that?  

I knew LARPers like to fantasize, but this is whole new level of retardation
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:40:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By L_JE:

Hell, I can't.  It's a straight up 30 minutes for me, no matter how I try to cut it.

Is this because I don't have 3 ocular scientists on staff?

I used to have a bona fide statistician on staff.  Used to.  Thank God.
View Quote

Sounds like you lack proprioceptive dynamicism.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:52:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -Ascent-] [#38]
Originally Posted By fastluck13:
Is suppressive fire a thing in the real world with family, friends, and strangers children running around? A miss is a miss and you own it. A shot you take with no bad guy in the picture should still be aimed at something (brick wall, dirt, something). I believe in the value of keeping someone’s head down but just shooting for sound seems dumb outside of a war zone.

If you are actively shooting at someone, seems like being able to hit them is significantly more valuable tactically as well as more valuable for the safety of everyone else in the area.

Maybe all you tactards are right…only tactics count, actual skill with a firearm will get you killlllt in da streetz.
View Quote

Marksmanship is absolutely important and I’m not cutting it short.

If someone lays down suppressing fire on you and they gain effective suppression
You’re fixed, you cant observe maneuver and your ability to return fire is degraded.

If that’s reached it doesn’t matter if you’re twice the marksman they’re.

Think lone survivor. Absolutely those 4 seals were better marksmen’s than those 8 to 12 Taliban. The Taliban used tactics to gain an advantage. Suppressed/fired, maneuvered, and destroyed their enemy.

Edit. I’m not saying you need a belt fed and throwing crazy amounts of rounds everywhere but to effectively suppress a target could be a slow cadence of fire accurately on a bad guys concealment or cover so your family or other people can run away. Of course if you can accurately stop an enemy in a few shots that’s great but if I can suppress someone that’s not a bad thing either.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:55:02 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

Sup bro, guy who used to be a machine gunner here. I know a little bit about suppressive fire. I Got my CIB from engagement in which I used an entire can of Ma Deuce ammo to take out one guy.

Missing is a bad thing.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 2:09:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By brasscrossedrifles:

Sup bro, guy who used to be a machine gunner here. I know a little bit about suppressive fire. I Got my CIB from engagement in which I used an entire can of Ma Deuce ammo to take out one guy.

Missing is a bad thing.
View All Quotes

Missing is a bad thing.

Then why did you miss 99/100 shots?
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 2:11:32 PM EDT
[#41]

You learning to fight as a team and lay down suppressive fire in Travis class?  Any non military class teach that?  

View All Quotes

It is. Just not how you think it is.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 2:15:43 PM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

My skill level didn't match my enthusiasm.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 2:21:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -Ascent-] [#43]

View All Quotes

My first tic was very similar. My first burst was pretty damn close but by the end of the can I couldnt see shit except a big dust cloud.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 2:25:18 PM EDT
[#44]

Competition comment was really odd at least to me. What they do and teach is a bit limited to "measure" what they are trying to get across.
View All Quotes

For the same reason that the top military operators hire competition shooters to train them I would like to see trainers shoot in open competitions to showcase their skills. I think it would think out the herd with a quickness. Everyone likes conflate tactics and shooting fundamentals to fit their argument but you can't lie your way to a podium.

My point is that there are so many instructors that talk the talk but are mediocre shooters. It's similar to people bench racing their guns but never shooting them. With the rise of social media there are so many videos with people looking all badass and burning down a stage they've set up but no way to really know how that compares.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 2:56:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BaconFat] [#45]

View Quote

Lol you think you're at army training when you play dress up at fantasy camp because they story time before you put a few handgun rounds on a static paper target, while standing in a line next to other LARP'er in their costumes

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 3:02:54 PM EDT
[#46]

Lol you think you're at army training when you play dress up at fantasy camp because they story time before you put a few handgun rounds on a static paper target, while standing in a line next to other LARP'er in their costumes

https://i.imgur.com/t45WQVF.png
View All Quotes

https://i.imgur.com/t45WQVF.png

You act like you never trained anyone. How do you get people to buy into what you’re saying or you as an instructor. Most people want story time. They want to hear how what you’re teaching is relevant to the experiences you have had.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 3:03:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Dumak:

Stoeger knows his shit regarding handguns and competition shooting.  

If I wanted tactical type training to survive a 2-way range then I would go to someone else.  

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 3:04:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By BMSMB:

You shouldn't be improving in classes... that just means you don't practice. Classes should show you what you need to practice, and how to practice them.
View Quote

True.

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 3:08:55 PM EDT
[#49]

I feel bad for people who give their money to people like Zero and Haley.

You could spend a comparative pittance on books/timer and watch videos from the right people…become a better shooter on your own.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BMSMB:

The benefit of training myself and learning from competitive shooter podcasts is that I don't actually know who these clowns are other than when they're being mocked!

I feel bad for people who give their money to people like Zero and Haley.

You could spend a comparative pittance on books/timer and watch videos from the right people…become a better shooter on your own.

Better at what?

Shooter is such a broad term. Most people taking firearms training are more interested in learning to fight, with a firearm, than learning how to improve their USPSA classifier or win at Camp Perry
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 3:11:14 PM EDT
[#50]

He clearly doesn’t understand.

But yeah.  Throw em all together at a major and see how they do.

Probably get dragged by most of C class.
View All Quotes

He clearly doesn’t understand.

But yeah.  Throw em all together at a major and see how they do.

Probably get dragged by most of C class.

Matches test match ability. Might as well hand them 1911s and drop them in the 50 yard line if your measure is marksmanship.

A better test would be dropping them
off at an airsoft range with simunitions and see who kills the other 3:5 tries
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top