User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:44:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I think three PKM's are more fordable than a polar bear and nobody is going to advocate charging uphill at a trio of them with an SPR after they gobble up three of your friends.

https://external-preview.redd.it/YI-ugh2aI_nsiN5OTSihmpLRH6jxSI6Kuig-gtsWzho.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=d72566a1487e7a15d6ca410c5978e52363387e07

View Quote

I was referring to pulling back to set a casualty collection point like it’s a platoon or company sized op.

Getting off the x when everyone is dead or the boss gave the skeddadle order is within reason.

I don’t know what happened in the field but it’s all tainted with lies and slimed after the fact.  Hard to give honor to a fictional story.

ETA Assualting through the ambush when it is a three point attack on higher ground with better cover and you lack the manpower to likely succeed with just taking out one of the MG teams....... yea you’re pretty much screwed.   Yes it’s been done before in other wars by a single troop even, rolling up three german machine gun nests from the flank while the squad was pinned.   That is MoH stuff.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:50:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

There's some videos from Ukraine of them self applying TQs in gunfights. Also one where a guy jumping off an APC hit a mine, lost his leg, and quickly applied TQ.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ain’t no medicine in a gunfight.

I believe that was even covered in the movie….

There's some videos from Ukraine of them self applying TQs in gunfights. Also one where a guy jumping off an APC hit a mine, lost his leg, and quickly applied TQ.

The application of self aid and buddy aid is incredibly situationally dependent. Taking direct fire from elevated positions with no/limited cover - gain fire superiority and get off the X.
Taking direct fire and in a covered position- maybe apply self aid and buddy aid if your able to, but you should most likely be prosecuting the contact.
In a 4 man team, prosecuting the contact would be priority given the small element size in most tactical situations. Of course, a 4 man team should have established pre planned targets, at least 1 belt fed, proper comms, and an insert plan that doesn't compromise you on TOT +1.

Taking 25% of your 4 man team's firepower to wait at a CCP isn't a viable action in ML's case. None of this actually matters though. The lie has been spun. The opportunity to combat the lie died with Luttrell's acquiescence and acceptance of the lie. This only cheapened the lives lost and the awards doled out to maintain outward appearances. But the entire GWOT was a huge waste of fucking time, lives and money.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:45:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The application of self aid and buddy aid is incredibly situationally dependent. Taking direct fire from elevated positions with no/limited cover - gain fire superiority and get off the X.
Taking direct fire and in a covered position- maybe apply self aid and buddy aid if your able to, but you should most likely be prosecuting the contact.
In a 4 man team, prosecuting the contact would be priority given the small element size in most tactical situations. Of course, a 4 man team should have established pre planned targets, at least 1 belt fed, proper comms, and an insert plan that doesn't compromise you on TOT +1.

Taking 25% of your 4 man team's firepower to wait at a CCP isn't a viable action in ML's case. None of this actually matters though. The lie has been spun. The opportunity to combat the lie died with Luttrell's acquiescence and acceptance of the lie. This only cheapened the lives lost and the awards doled out to maintain outward appearances. But the entire GWOT was a huge waste of fucking time, lives and money.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What he said.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:58:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

What he said.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What he said.

He said it better than I did.  +1
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:38:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Shut it down boys. Thread’s over. This muthafucka wrapped it up and put a bow on it. Stop debating tactics and decisions under fire. This post is truth. Murphys MOH is a joke. Luttrells Navy Cross is a joke. Debating their decisions under fire is not reasonable and anyone who suggests the TOC monkeys weren’t paying attention has an extra chromosome.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:38:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

thanks for your perspective.  i can understand how things might be different on a smaller team.

i was an Infantry Platoon Leader (pre-GWOT) and i can say if our platoon medic went up front to engage all hell would break loose (Platoon Sergeant would go ballistic lol)  -- but that's with ~30 men.

i understand that if the medic represents 25% of available firepower -- potentially different situation as you mention.

the bolded part above -- might never happen.  

another separate issue --- in any movement -- Rally Points are established.  if separated -- it is also possible ML was looking to go back to the last known Rally Point.

again - without sounding like a broken record --  there are 'reasons' he may have done what he did.  Even if it seems like he was 'running away'.    

Did the PL initiate 'Break Contact' ??  if he did -- there's ANOTHER reason to go 'backwards'.   to get to a better more defensible position.  

appreciate your comments

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As a guy who was a medic on a small team in combat, I don't think I would look at it like that. I always knew that my suppressive fire is better preventative medicine than anything else I can do during a fire fight. The "Care Under Fire" side of things means I would try to do self-aid and buddy-aid of throwing TQs on limbs and possibly helping someone to move out of a specific danger area. That would usually be the extent of my medical aid in a situation like that. Otherwise I'm in the fight until we gain a position of superiority. Then we can start transitioning to Tactical Field Care and establishing a CCP.

thanks for your perspective.  i can understand how things might be different on a smaller team.

i was an Infantry Platoon Leader (pre-GWOT) and i can say if our platoon medic went up front to engage all hell would break loose (Platoon Sergeant would go ballistic lol)  -- but that's with ~30 men.

i understand that if the medic represents 25% of available firepower -- potentially different situation as you mention.

the bolded part above -- might never happen.  

another separate issue --- in any movement -- Rally Points are established.  if separated -- it is also possible ML was looking to go back to the last known Rally Point.

again - without sounding like a broken record --  there are 'reasons' he may have done what he did.  Even if it seems like he was 'running away'.    

Did the PL initiate 'Break Contact' ??  if he did -- there's ANOTHER reason to go 'backwards'.   to get to a better more defensible position.  

appreciate your comments

Added information:  we(EMS) are trained the exact same way when detailed out for TEMS.  8 man team, fire/maneuvers support is #1 medicine in a active gunfight.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:40:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Shut it down boys. Thread’s over. This muthafucka wrapped it up and put a bow on it. Stop debating tactics and decisions under fire. This post is truth. Murphys MOH is a joke. Luttrells Navy Cross is a joke. Debating their decisions under fire is not reasonable and anyone who suggests the TOC monkeys weren’t paying attention has an extra chromosome.
View Quote

Debating the tactics don't matter because they didn't apply any of the appropriate SOP's and TTPs for the mission to begin with. Starting point, for any honest discussion on this matter must be, "They were fucked up," from the get go. Otherwise it's all disingenuous PR and an attempt to salvage the reputation of NSWC. Based on their heavy handed operations in my own later AOR's in Iraq, without prior notification and the clean up I had to conduct for them, good luck convincing me that it's a reputation that should be defended. As a Marine infantryman who conducted countless direct action raids without civilian casualties... it seemed silly that when they showed up and vanished that they couldn't manage to keep fires into appropriate targets.

I'm half autistic, but based on post history in this thread I think we are on the same page. Which means you were there in the AOR right after I left.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:06:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Debating the tactics don't matter because they didn't apply any of the appropriate SOP's and TTPs for the mission to begin with. Starting point, for any honest discussion on this matter must be, "They were fucked up," from the get go. Otherwise it's all disingenuous PR and an attempt to salvage the reputation of NSWC. Based on their heavy handed operations in my own later AOR's in Iraq, without prior notification and the clean up I had to conduct for them, good luck convincing me that it's a reputation that should be defended. As a Marine infantryman who conducted countless direct action raids without civilian casualties... it seemed silly that when they showed up and vanished that they couldn't manage to keep fires into appropriate targets.

I'm half autistic, but based on post history in this thread I think we are on the same page. Which means you were there in the AOR right after I left.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was in Ramadi 07-08. First supporting the surge BN from 1ID, and then a couple of Marine Battalions.

Wonder if we crossed paths.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:21:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I was in Ramadi 07-08. First supporting the surge BN from 1ID, and then a couple of Marine Battalions.

View Quote

I would have been a bit to your east during that time frame. I was running out of Camp Fallujah in 07-08. Was up the road in Haditha in 2006.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 10:41:16 AM EDT
[#10]
These threads always bum me out.  Reality is often much messier than medal citations, but when they are complete fiction, it just fucking sucks.

Compare and contrast those citations, with this one, where there were many witnesses and people that made it off that island, because of him:

https://mohmuseum.org/medal_of_honor/tony-stein/

Handing them out for lies to cover people asses, cheapens the medals of those who deserved it.

For those of you that served and bring your knowledge and sacrifices to the conversation, thank you,
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 10:57:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
These threads always bum me out.  Reality is often much messier than medal citations, but when they are complete fiction, it just fucking sucks.

Compare and contrast those citations, with this one, where there were many witnesses and people that made it off that island, because of him:

https://mohmuseum.org/medal_of_honor/tony-stein/

Handing them out for lies to cover people asses, cheapens the medals of those who deserved it.

For those of you that served and bring your knowledge and sacrifices to the conversation, thank you,
View Quote

Macarthur's was the worst MOH ever given and others that deserved it have been denied. They have almost made awarding it too exclusive, except when they want to cover it up.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 11:17:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 11:38:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Congresswoman Peltola appreciates your support and helping her win in 2022.

Peltola  128,553
Palin       67,866
Begich    61,513
View Quote

Was this the result of ranked choice voting?
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:06:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Macarthur's was the worst MOH ever given and others that deserved it have been denied. They have almost made awarding it too exclusive, except when they want to cover it up.
View Quote

MacArthur was not a great person, and definitely not "heroic."
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 5:10:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yep. Subtract Murphy and there are 10 recipients for upward of 20 years of ongoing war. Either war has changed a whole lot over a generation or two, or somebody got less than they deserved.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. Subtract Murphy and there are 10 recipients for upward of 20 years of ongoing war. Either war has changed a whole lot over a generation or two, or somebody got less than they deserved.

There was, after all, an investigation during the Bush years IIRC as to why there were so few MOH awarded. Indeed, the service crosses and MOH have seemingly become either ultra exclusive or given in cases like this (thread subject). Hopefully there will be many more service crosses and MOH awarded in the coming years, and hopefully not posthumously, but either way those men deserve to be recognized and decorated.  

There were a lot of MOH awarded to flag officers in WWII which were utter bullshit, they had nothing to do with combat valor, but for things like commanding a battle or campaign or basically just doing their fucking job (while sitting in a nice comfortable and safe office). Politics and nothing more. Disgusting.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 9:26:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah man. I agree with you on all points. This is far from the worst NSW shitshow I witnessed in 8.5yrs deployed. This is the one that made the best movie I suppose.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 9:29:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Was also in Ramadi in 07 and 08. I don’t remember dealing with 1ID although I saw them in other areas of Anbar sporting their patch with the EGA on it. (I have one somewhere). I dealt almost entirely with USMC and NSW and 3ID. There was a stryker unit there from KS guard that was fucking good to go too. Those guys impressed me.
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top