Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:43:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nate19] [#1]
I have a mutt that is 25% Husky.

He got the whining, annoying, shedding, and running off parts of being a Husky.

As far as you getting one (or 2.. hahahahahaha): 0/10 would not recommend.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:43:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By drew5337:
They are very vocal and expressive dogs.

They can be very stubborn regarding obedience training.

They will very likely never have reliable recall.

They need more exercise than you can give them.  Huskies can run 40 miles in the snow, you can't get them enough exercise.

They blow coat twice a year and the amount of fur that comes off them is startling.  You need a groomer quality blow dryer or air compressor, or spend a couple of weeks grooming them every single day.

As a sled dog in the arctic, which is very very specified work, they excel.  As pets, they're a challenge.  If you aren't an experienced dog handler, I'd pass.  I am an experienced dog handler, and I'd pass.  I've lived with a husky and a malamute, and while they are cool dogs, they aren't anywhere near as rewarding to keep as more established companion breeds.

There's a perfect dog for everyone, and that dog is almost always a golden retriever.
View Quote

In my case it was Akita and Shiba Inus.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:49:13 PM EDT
[#3]
If you have to ask "You can't handle the TRUTH!"

The one we had when I was a kid NEVER listened no matter how much my dad worked with him, constantly ran off and took a liking to chasing our livestock. Even getting a swift kick from a horse didn't break him of that. I once caught him letting the air out of tires with one of his toenails so he could listen to the hissing sound. I also recall him being VERY destructive. Way more work than I'm willing to deal with
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:52:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a 12 year old Husky. She still acts like an adolescent dog and has tons of energy. We go for runs and she will keep going pretty much forever. I believe she's going to be going 100 mph until the day she dies.

She is gorgeous and is very much a fantastic dog with my kid, and I love her like a member of the family. But never again. That dog has cost me so much money.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:52:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Crazyascanbe:
If you love something, let it go

If it doesnt come back, it was a husky

I had one and will never in my life own another one.
You really have to love the dog i think.
The woooing too
They talk a lot
View Quote

Yes.

They like the outside, a lot.  They don't like sitting at your feet or being your loyal buddy all the time.

They are noisy.  They will dig, and then dig, and then dig some more.

They shed like crazy.  All the time.  Every time you think you've removed another dog from your dog you will get another dog.

Owning one turned my wife off to dog ownership because they are a lot of work and can be destructive.

Mine never wanted to be inside if she could help it.  That dog wanted to be outside, in the fenced in yard, maybe in its doghouse, if it wasn't dragging it around and digging.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:53:45 PM EDT
[#6]
My brother had one when I was a kid. He fabbed a harness for my red wagon. It would drag me all over the back yard. When in the harness, it was well behaved. Otherwise……..

It did become very protective of me. It was to the point if dad had to get my ass, my brother had to take it down the road.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:57:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By wgjhsafT:

They are noisy.  They will dig, and then dig, and then dig some more.

View Quote

I will say, if you have a vole or mole problem, a husky is your solution.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:24:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Smash47:
Pro tip:
Like most dogs they love car rides. So when one gets loose instead of chasing him all over the neighborhood simply stand next to your and open a car door and call him. He will jump right in every time. Close the door hop in and put the leash on him.
View Quote

100% accurate with ours.  Works every time.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:40:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By broken_reticle:

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:44:40 PM EDT
[#10]
How many doggos have you owned?
How many people will be helping with Doggo's care?

Huskies are like toddlers. They get into shit if you leave them alone for too long.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:53:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By killstick_engaged:
They're a huge pain in the ass. You really need to be an alpha dog with them or they'll do whatever they want. Also +1 that unless you work them you won't be able to give them enough exercise. They are working dogs. They can be your buddy, but they weren't bred for it.

And since you've chosen to hide your location like some fed I can't say if they'll do well in your climate or not.
View Quote

Lol. How does that make you feel, brand new fellow firearms enthusiast?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:59:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I had one growing up, and swore I'd never have another husky again in my life. Klondike was the most mischievous fucking dog I've ever met. He was an escape artist, a runner, and would kill any small animal he could get near. We'd have skunks, possums, raccoons, and even the occasional neighbors cat dead on our porch any time he jumped the fence. When my son moved out, he got a husky and she's a total fucking sweetheart and the exact opposite of Klondike. So my opinion is of no value unless you chalk it up to the gender of the dog I guess.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:01:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:03:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Do you like shoveling snow?

Every spring your entire house is a snow globe with fur.

Do you like getting a phone call 5 minutes after putting it in the yard with a 6’ fence to come get your dog?

Enjoy the 20 mile drive to get it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:10:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Women who own them are the horse-chicks of the dog world.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:14:53 PM EDT
[#16]
I guess my huskies are a bit different than everyone else’s.

I have two and a GSD…. My GSD is the vocal one. Always talking, always yelling…. The huskies… quiet.

Mine WILL run off if they can BOTH do it. If one gets out w/o the other, then it won’t go far at all and come wait at the door. If they both get out… get a golf cart, car, bike something because you are not gonna catch them on foot.

They shed ALL the time. We have hair everywhere and my wife vacuums daily. We burn through a vacuum yearly, sometimes more often.

Mine were destructive as puppies, like most high energy dogs, but don’t tear up anything now. My GSD on the other hand… fucker still hasn’t got out of his puppy stage and he is 4…

They are lazy, they think they are lap dogs, they are loyal to no one in my house (not to be mistaken for listening), they do listen, for the most part, through the female can be a bit of a stubborn b sometimes.

I love them, they are great, I would never own one again, just because of the hair.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:16:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mac130] [#17]

Everything said so far is true, but I love mine unconditionally.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:26:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Homernomer:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Homernomer:
Originally Posted By killstick_engaged:
They're a huge pain in the ass. You really need to be an alpha dog with them or they'll do whatever they want. Also +1 that unless you work them you won't be able to give them enough exercise. They are working dogs. They can be your buddy, but they weren't bred for it.

And since you've chosen to hide your location like some fed I can't say if they'll do well in your climate or not.

12 posts per day since 2023 but OP is the fed? Stop it. You’re glowing.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:38:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Mine was the exception to the rule. With in a year trained off lead, came when I called, always.
Was never more than an arms length away. But was a one person dog, drove the wife absolutely
nuts. CJ would be sitting at my feet and the wife would call her and CJ would look at me " should
I listen to her" lol Smart as a whip and she knew it, she could have went AWOL anytime she wished
but didn't. Slept right next to me on the bed facing the door, wife hated that too. Hair...lots of hair, would
blow her off with my leaf blower a couple times a year and furminator brush her a couple times a week.
She is the dog in my avatar, I pray there is an after life so I get to see her again
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:40:14 PM EDT
[#20]
If you want the Husky look, but in a smaller companion size, take a look at the Alaskan Klee Kai. They share alot of Husky attributes, but they don't like strangers, so they make great guard dogs. Very good with kids and other pets. Can be stubborn, and likes to escape.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:42:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Have a village mutt who is part husky,gsd and lab.

Fur,fur,fur,fur
Stubborn as hell
Get his nose on a scent and he is going to follow it
Talkative
Extremely protective of his Mama our youngest daughter.

Fucker peed on the bedroom carpet after I was being slow to take him out.
He did it out of spite.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:53:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By drew5337:
They are very vocal and expressive dogs.

They can be very stubborn regarding obedience training.

They will very likely never have reliable recall.

They need more exercise than you can give them.  Huskies can run 40 miles in the snow, you can't get them enough exercise.

They blow coat twice a year and the amount of fur that comes off them is startling.  You need a groomer quality blow dryer or air compressor, or spend a couple of weeks grooming them every single day.

As a sled dog in the arctic, which is very very specified work, they excel.  As pets, they're a challenge.  If you aren't an experienced dog handler, I'd pass.  I am an experienced dog handler, and I'd pass.  I've lived with a husky and a malamute, and while they are cool dogs, they aren't anywhere near as rewarding to keep as more established companion breeds.

There's a perfect dog for everyone, and that dog is almost always a golden retriever.
View Quote

Most of this is true

Mine is an ass and hardly comes when called inside
Sheds a new dog worth of hair every week

He is Uber loyal to my daughter and super sweet

While he is difficult I wouldn't trade him
He's a lot of fun
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:00:10 PM EDT
[#23]
We have three. Hair hair hair everywhere, everyday. Lots and lots of energy. High prey drive.
My wife joined a local urban mushing group and runs them 6-8 miles almost every Saturday and Sunday morning. They love the pulling.
The group makes a few trips to the mountains each year as well for actual dog sledding. The dogs absolutely LOVE it!
Otherwise at least one fast paced walk for 45-60 minutes per day will lessen the destructiveness. A couple times a week she takes them to a local dog park and lets them run with other dogs for an hour or so.
Never let them off leash if not contained at home or the dog park. Always make sure you have a firm grasp of the leash.
The escaping has only happened a couple times, but yes, pulling up with the car and opening the door with leash in hand, they think it's time for ride and hop in.
Our current set have not been big talkers or howlers. Ours are not good alarm or guard dogs. They are more likely to let someone in for some attention.
We do enjoy them everyday though.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:01:04 PM EDT
[#24]
We had  family over for thanksgiving… she waited in a room off the foyer and when the door opened, she ran out like a shot. Had to go get my shoes, but she was already long gone. I’m walking thru the neighborhood and about 4 blocks over, I see some people standing out by their front porch laughing and looking inside their house. They’re like, are you looking for a dog… it’s in the dining room. I look in and there she is, up on a chair, paws up on their table eating

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:03:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:06:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Hi strung, stubborn, talkative.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:07:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Siberian Husky summer blow out!
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:23:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Talking Husky Explains Why He Went To The VETS!
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:25:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FourLoko] [#29]
no, any other rescue dog please
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:28:14 PM EDT
[#30]
NIce looking dogs we had one it got out a couple times and had to chase him down lol.We wont own one again they require alot of work and are full of energy.

You  will need alot of time to dedicate to them
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:50:29 PM EDT
[#31]
They are bread to pull a sled in the bitter cold.
If you are not capable of giving the dog a strenuous job it isn't fair to the dog.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:05:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Grew up with I think 7 of them. My Mom would show them and ended up breeding them. Years later I got one and she passed a few years ago at 19.

Super loyal and knows how to tell time. Feeding time was always the same time for her and she would tell you, by howling, jumping and nudging you into the kitchen.

She would tell you she wanted out. If she pooped she would come running in and dance around all happy. When you came home from work she got so happy, loud and running around. If I said, “ want to “ she knew it was walk time and went to where her leash was.
She knew if you weren’t feeling good she would sit or lay next to you. Way too smart and will push your buttons. Knew how to open gates and knew if the door wasn’t fully closed and open it and run out. Dig out or jump the fence.

They shed horribly, argues with you, gets into trouble and looks at you and basically says, I didn’t do it. Kills any little animal and sometimes on accident just trying to play with it.

A ton of work but the best furry pal you can have.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:23:56 AM EDT
[#33]
We went over and played with the pups last night. Even being 8 weeks old they were already howling and making noise. They are hysterical to watch and not just normal puppy funny. They have character and are feisty. I mentioned this thread to the owner and she said everything you guys said is true.

I am in NJ and have an acre thats fenced in. We are high energy people and walk a few miles every day so the exercise part would not bother us. I watched a lot of videos before I went to bed, they are definitely different.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:26:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Ronin72:
Long time ago. Very energetic and very destructive. You HAVE to spend time training it and being with it. I ended up giving her to a neighbor that had six kids and was moving to a farm.
View Quote

All of this. My sister has two and they're just bad dogs. Very very destructive and run off all the time. Tear the house up. Jump on the car and scratch it. She's tried to train them with no luck.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:45:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Do you have tons of time? They are high energy. They need alot of exercise and they are hyper intelligent. They can climb, open things and you can watch them look at something,  figure it out then execute their plan.They aren't just a dog. I miss Maya every day. We lost her last spring.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:50:11 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By RealityCheck0311:
Get used to this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVWx1XvxyTU
View Quote

Ain't nobody got time fo' this....
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:02:28 AM EDT
[#37]
In my experience Huskys are one of the worst pet breeds, up there with Belgian mals.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:03:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:
My view of them is that they can be runners and the two dog breeds that seem to be in the most altercations at a local dog part are Huskies and pitbulls.
View Quote

Ours is extremely rough when playing. I'm convinced his motto is "It's not fun until there's blood"
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:06:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Capt-Planet:
I have a 12 year old Husky. She still acts like an adolescent dog and has tons of energy. We go for runs and she will keep going pretty much forever. I believe she's going to be going 100 mph until the day she dies.

She is gorgeous and is very much a fantastic dog with my kid, and I love her like a member of the family. But never again. That dog has cost me so much money.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/125943/3479_jpg-3172173.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/125943/4353_jpg-3172174.JPG
View Quote

Looks like my boy. He's mostly Husk with a bit of Shepherd according to DNA test. He has the bad traits of both.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:09:11 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By broken_reticle:

View Quote

Chipmunks, squirrels, rabbits also.  Ours will beg to go out in the middle of the night. Not to pee but to sit by the chipmunk area and wait for the next kill.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:30:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:45:36 AM EDT
[#42]
I have had huskies for years.   Be prepared to have fur everywhere, and i mean everywhere.   The each have their own personalities.   My current husky is not an escape artist unlike some of the others i have owned.   He is vocal at times.   He can be the biggest love when he wants to be.   They are very active.   On the weekends or any day i am home mine has me take him for walks every 2 hours.  He does have a strong prey drive with smaller animals and birds.  

Had him since he was 8 weeks old and he will be 4 next month.  Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:59:50 AM EDT
[#43]
I have 10 in my sled dog team.  They are a lot of work.  You will need a good fence.  They climb over and dig under.  They Shed a LOT.  They are destructive if they don't get enough exercise.  They will run off.  If you can deal with these things they can be a lot of fun and are loving dogs.  If you have other questions as me.  
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:09:00 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By km:
I have 10 in my sled dog team.  They are a lot of work.  You will need a good fence.  They climb over and dig under.  They Shed a LOT.  They are destructive if they don't get enough exercise.  They will run off.  If you can deal with these things they can be a lot of fun and are loving dogs.  If you have other questions as me.  
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/64775/328638903_750525609594431_25876256424277-3172613.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/64775/DSCN0149_jpg-3172615.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/64775/Mohawk6-00-01-22-038_jpg-3172617.JPG
View Quote
These will run 50 miles a day.  If you are into canicross (running with your dog) or bikejoring (biking with your dog) they could be good for you.  I don't want to scare you away but am trying to let you know what you will be into if you decide to get them.   Our granddaughter in the front.
Attachment Attached File

First race for these 2.  We took second place out of 35 in the race.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:16:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By km:
These will run 50 miles a day.  If you are into canicross (running with your dog) or bikejoring (biking with your dog) they could be good for you.  I don't want to scare you away but am trying to let you know what you will be into if you decide to get them.   Our granddaughter in the front.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/64775/314413514_793038105327611_39331389451795-3172622.JPG

First race for these 2.  We took second place out of 35 in the race.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/64775/314506940_793672451930843_77366057051101-3172623.JPG
View Quote
My youngest.  Sired by the brother of the 2 on the bike.  Still in northern MI.  Will be coming home in 3 weeks.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:28:06 AM EDT
[#46]
Never owned one but I can tell you from experience they shed horribly.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:34:17 AM EDT
[#47]
My sister has one and it is at least one of the therapy dogs for the hospital. Very trainable and intelligent. Seemingly unlimited energy and needs activity and things to do. They are extremely vocal dogs and she took it to the groomer which was in the mall next to the food court. People thought a dog was being abused on the other side of the wall. I think they had to put an announcement out that it was just a loud husky.They shed an insane amount as well.
Great dogs with tons of personality and intelligence but loud, shed, and need constant engagement.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:44:22 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By rlm0n0:

All of this. My sister has two and they're just bad dogs. Very very destructive and run off all the time. Tear the house up. Jump on the car and scratch it. She's tried to train them with no luck.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rlm0n0:
Originally Posted By Ronin72:
Long time ago. Very energetic and very destructive. You HAVE to spend time training it and being with it. I ended up giving her to a neighbor that had six kids and was moving to a farm.

Going to bet your sister isn't the Alpha. And a Husky will KNOW who is the Alpha, they are incredibly ''pack'' mentality.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:58:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: XNARC] [#49]
Another plus, if you like playing hide and seek… mine likes to crap in bushes. She backs her ass into a bush and leaves a turd. Funny, right? I’m taking out my deployment bag one day, to grab something, and there’s a turd in it. We have some of those ikea cubicle shelves… yep, she likes to hide a turd in those as well. So, if you smell a dog turd in the house, you’ll have some fun searching for it, but you may also find where she stashed a missing sock, tv remote, one of the other dogs favorite chew toy!

Also, she doesnt piss in a puddle, she moves as she pisses, and she’ll leave a stream. If we’re gone for long, leave piss pads out, you can see the long stream. But, if she gets mad at the other dog, she’ll lay a stream of piss across their bedding.

But, if she likes you, she’ll show it by bringing in chewed up lizards, or a piece of lunch meat, a milk bone  that’s she’s buried for a week or two and is now ready to eat… and she leave them on your pillow, or under it , as a sign of friendship
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:00:34 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top