Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2024 2:04:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: smullen]
So with this tool, you can drill a hole in a door panel for example put one of these guys in, as you squeeze the handle on the "Rivet Gun tool" or whatever, the back of the rivet or whatever its called, bulges out, holding the thing in the panel and then you can thread a screw/bolt right into it and it has teeth to grip too and won't wear waller out if you remove the screw or bolt a few times...
Kinda like a fancy Molly Jig but for wood or metal, not drywall.

I saw a video where a guy used one, said it could work for wood or metal.  Not sure how, it'd work on wood, but metal makes perfect sense.  The video said it would have a link, but I guess he forgot to put it in the bottom of the youtube video..

I have ideas for uses of said gadget and and if it works like I think it should, it would be pretty handy.

Thoughts?
Anyone used one? Tips, avoids, etc... :)

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:10:33 PM EDT
[#1]
They're called (this is gonna blow your mind...) Rivet Nuts...

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:11:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Not sure whether you may be referring to various types of threaded inserts, with names like ‘rivnuts’ or ‘rivet nuts’ or a bunch of similar names.

I have not used them (yet) although I have bought some with appropriate tools - but I’ve been advised that they may not be the best choice for locations where you can not access the back side (in case some of them may lose their grip to the substrate material which would make unscrewing the fasteners difficult).

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:15:34 PM EDT
[#3]
You're looking for a Rivet Nut Tool or Rivnut.

This is the set I have: MSC
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:18:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Zirc nuts
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:30:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By targetworks:
Not sure whether you may be referring to various types of threaded inserts, with names like ‘rivnuts’ or ‘rivet nuts’ or a bunch of similar names.

I have not used them (yet) although I have bought some with appropriate tools - but I’ve been advised that they may not be the best choice for locations where you can not access the back side (in case some of them may lose their grip to the substrate material which would make unscrewing the fasteners difficult).

View Quote

True.  They make them keyed, with a little projection on the back side of the head.  File a small notch in the hole in the substrate material, make sure the key engages the notch, and set the rivnut.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:42:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Nutsert?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:57:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitulu] [#7]
Originally Posted By targetworks:

View Quote

You are correct. I use them at work all the time, and it is a PITA to get the screws out when the rivnut starts spinning. My usual method is to jam a flat-blade screwdriver in between the rivnut and aircraft skin to hold it in place while removing the screw, then use pliers to crush the outside collar and remove the old rivnut. If I can access the rivnut, I can grab the outside collar with pliers to hold it steady while removing the screw. The usual culprit for causing them to spin is someone using the wrong type of screw when reinstalling a panel, or using a drill or screw gun with the torque cranked too high.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:06:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:32:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By reverse_edge:
They're called (this is gonna blow your mind...) Rivet Nuts...

View Quote
LOL...  I think your right...  
Thanks guys for the quick responses...

I found this set on Amazon.
Amazon Product
  • INNOVATIVE MECHANISM - Toolless operation to change head. The Inner threaded base & hex sleeve firmly lock the mandrel during riveting.

Also, What about the threaded deals for wood, like to put behind a heavy Subwoofer, then to put the screws into to hold the drivers in place and not rip or waller out..  Seems like the last ones I saw had like 3 bitey teeth on the back.  Saw'em a few times, but never actually put any into the wood.
Originally Posted By AeroE:
Rivnuts.

Don't install these where you don't have access to both sides, and don't install them in frequent removal and reinstall panels.  They'll soon enough lose grip and won't hold against the torque of a screw.

View Quote
Well damn, that was the point of wanting to use them.
I dabble custom car/truck stuff and thnking about using these to mount custom made speaker pods to doors and such...
Hopefully once in, they would not be coming out, or not often.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:41:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By smullen:

Well damn, that was the point of wanting to use them.
I dabble custom car/truck stuff and thnking about using these to mount custom made speaker pods to doors and such...
Hopefully once in, they would not be coming out, or not often.
View Quote
that would work. I worked on a race car that had something like rivnuts attaching the front end body parts and the windows. Added a lot of weight and minimal time improvement versus rivets.

your second item are called blind nuts.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:11:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Occasional need?  No tool option...

You can insert a rivnut with basic tools! #2

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:22:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Can use pemserts , they don't need special tools to install
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:19:43 AM EDT
[#13]
When you install the rivnuts, put a little JB-Weld on the mating surfaces.
Kitplanes did an article on this, and it increases the break-away torque of the fastener to the point where the screw breaks first.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:39:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By jmt1991:
When you install the rivnuts, put a little JB-Weld on the mating surfaces.
Kitplanes did an article on this, and it increases the break-away torque of the fastener to the point where the screw breaks first.
View Quote

This.  If I'm using one in a location where I can't get at the back of the fastener, I use some sort of epoxy on it.  of note, if it's a panel you're planning on removing often, Dzus fasteners are much better long term.  They're just a little more intensive on the installation side.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:03:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Lot of chainsaw guys use them when modding a muffler.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 6:36:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By smullen:

Also, What about the threaded deals for wood, like to put behind a heavy Subwoofer, then to put the screws into to hold the drivers in place and not rip or waller out..  Seems like the last ones I saw had like 3 bitey teeth on the back.  Saw'em a few times, but never actually put any into the wood.

View Quote
Those things are called T-Nuts or Teenuts. Any good hardware store has 'em by the boatload.
Top Top