Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2024 12:31:49 PM EDT
Thinking one of these would be much easier & faster to use than the basic plastic board I have now. So what are their Pro's & Con's and would you buy one again?
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 12:51:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one. I never use it. Faster to just hold it with your fingers. I do use a feather board for down pressure on smaller items though.
Guess I should use it more. Need to find it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 12:55:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Seems kind of pricy to me - but I'm sure it works well.
I do use my featherboard quite often, it's an inexpensive one but it seems to work well for me.

Amazon Product
  • INCLUDES: (1) Universal Feather Board with T-slot bolts, threaded knobs and mounting hardware (POWERTEC 71468) & (1) Deluxe L-Push Stick (POWERTEC 71452)

Link Posted: 3/4/2024 2:03:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I use them on my router table.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 4:05:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I use them on my table saw.   I value my fingers and wouldn’t use them to keep the board agains the fence and saw blade on a table saw.  And use a push stick.   Try not to be retarded.  
Also have their roller guide for the bandsaw and resawing

They are expensive.   But easy to move off and on when setting up for various cuts.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 4:32:20 PM EDT
[#5]
A buddy has a few of them in his shop. They are fast to set up and the magnet is strong.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 8:44:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JQ66:
View Quote

I noticed those when I began my search, I might have to go for the version that supports that attachment.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 9:52:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Best money I ever spent.

I have one of the small universal feather boards.

https://a.co/d/cU8aAYN

I do a lot of production runs of things. This makes my life so much easier. Both on the band saw and the table saw.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 8:27:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Compare your insurance deductible vs the cost of a mag switch.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 12:58:30 AM EDT
[#9]
I have two, and use them regularly. I'm building new doors for my house and absolutely need them when running the stacked dado blade to cut the dados for the panels/tenons. I don't want any deviation in those dados. The one in the second picture is stronger and I use it more often. I got a steep discount on it because the looked to be a return/open package and when I called I got like $20 or so credited.

Link Posted: 3/22/2024 5:53:25 AM EDT
[#10]
What others have said, they are worth the $$$. I have two of them. I will probably get more as the need arises.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 12:23:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JQ66:
I use them on my table saw.   I value my fingers and wouldn’t use them to keep the board agains the fence and saw blade on a table saw.  And use a push stick.   Try not to be retarded.  

They are expensive.   But easy to move off and on when setting up for various cuts.
View Quote

The guy that mostly taught me how to use a table saw a pile of years ago gave me some well deserved grief about my then use of push sticks in cases where they were not really needed and more likely to cause issues than prevent them.

Example: Using a push stick to cut stuff that was 2" wide or more.

"Dude - Your freaking thumb is only 3/4" wide and if you would just stand it up it you could get that down to 5/8"

Back then as well as now - Before taking any 'safety advice' from anyone I always first consider their level of experience (number of hours (or days or years) actually operating / using) with the particular tool in question and then look to see if they still have all of their digits or not.

Norman (table saw guy from above) had many thousands of hours running table saws and ALL of his digits were perfectly intact.

Actually listened to Norman back then and paid attention. Even if it was stuff I did not understand at the time I at least 'tried' to listen and follow his guidelines. Was fortunate that the guy would let me ask questions about why he did particular cuts the way he did and would actually take the time to explain his methods to me. "Why are your thumbs under the material when it is thin like that but you warn me to never do that when it is thicker?" sort of stuff... And he would always give me an honest and well reasoned answer.

Was on a new to me jobsite one day setting up my tools / work area and had a random guy I did not know soon come along and 'educate' me about how stupid and 'worthless' the blade guard was on my sliding chop saw I had at the time and about how it was going to do nothing but cause me 'problems'.

As this guy was talking and 'educating me' about how crappy the safety stuff on my saw was I looked down and noticed he was missing the better part of 3 digits on one of his hands...

The guy I was actually working for at the time showed up a few hours later and 'tried' to give me grief about pissing off his 'lead guy' and causing him to pack up his shit and go home for the day. He wanted to know what I had said to the guy to get him in such a tizzy...

I forget exactly what I told the guy but am pretty sure that it was something along the lines of "Sorry dude, I don't take 'safety advice' from guys that have obviously (while pointing at his hand with missing digits) had poor results with respect to safety".

Employers 'lead guy' never spoke to me after that for the entire time I was there at that company.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top