[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Amped:
In for hopefully nothing
View Quote

for sure
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:42:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: H1Mech] [#4]
In for shitshow comments. But I’ve got a break and I’m bored, I’ll pull up the ATC traffic.

ETA:

Also, how do folks know this stuff so fast? Do people literally just sit around all day staring at flight trackers?

ETA 2:

Chart shows a very rapid descent to 10,000 ft and they diverted to DAL despite being close to their destination. That’s likely either a medical emergency or pressurization issue.

ETA 3:

Pilot just stated they are losing an engine.

ETA 4:

Aircraft has safely landed at Love Field.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:53:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: midmo] [#5]
Interesting to follow.
Looks like on the ground at Love Field.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:54:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Looks like they are heading for Love Field. Any reason to go there instead of Dallas Int’l?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:54:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By H1Mech:
In for shitshow comments.

ETA:

Also, how do folks know this stuff so fast? Do people literally just sit around all day staring at flight trackers?

ETA 2:

Chart shows a very rapid descent to 10,000 ft and they diverted to DAL despite being close to their destination. That’s likely either a medical emergency or pressurization issue.

ETA 3:

Pilot stated they are losing an engine.
View Quote

Damn!
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:55:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By sawgunner73:
Looks like they are heading for Love Field. Any reason to go there instead of Dallas Int’l?
View Quote

Because Southwest flies out of Love Field.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:58:55 AM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

I don’t work for SW but I believe they have a hub station at that location. It’ll be easier for them to move passengers to a different airplane and also perform the engine repair/swap or whatever else is wrong with that aircraft.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:01:45 AM EDT
[#10]
In for shitshow comments. But I’ve got a break and I’m bored, I’ll pull up the ATC traffic.

ETA:

ETA 2:

ETA 3:

ETA 4:

View Quote

Interesting that they would initiate a rapid descent to 10,000 for a lost engine. I would think that a proper drift down would take place but I’m sure they’re following the QRH. I don’t have mine memorized but that seems like a an unnecessary procedure unless as you mentioned, loss of pressurization.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:04:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AA717driver] [#11]
Originally Posted By switchtanks:

Interesting that they would initiate a rapid descent to 10,000 for a lost engine. I would think that a proper drift down would take place but I’m sure they’re following the QRH. I don’t have mine memorized but that seems like a an unnecessary procedure unless as you mentioned, loss of pressurization.
View Quote

It’s possible they had one bleed/AC system inop. Lose the other one and you’re down to 10,000’.

Also, they were probably close enough to DAL that flying at 10k wasn’t an issue.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:05:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Palm] [#12]
View Quote

Love is SWA home base. They have the inter structure there to address maintenance issues using their own employees.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:08:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Damn Love Field still surrounded by a shithole? Was when I lived there.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:30:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mach] [#14]
Originally Posted By AA717driver:

It’s possible they had one bleed/AC system inop. Lose the other one and you’re down to 10,000’.

Also, they were probably close enough to DAL that flying at 10k wasn’t an issue.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AA717driver:
Originally Posted By switchtanks:

yep, my guess too.

although squawking 7700 is usually only done if you are not in radio contact with ATC, so that is kinda weird

emergency descent is pretty straight forward on a 737. I did one for a cracked pressure window pane. Luckily it didnt  blow out. I read the checklist that said

" Tighten lap belt and shoulder harness"

and the captain responded "why"

and I said " because your pink misty body will fit through that little eyebrow window whether you want it to or not"

LOL at how fast he put his shoulder harness on
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:32:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: thorshammerblow] [#15]

ETA:

ETA 2:

ETA 3:

ETA 4:

View Quote

Thanks for the updates.

And I knew because I look at the globaladsb webpage because you can filter out for just military aircraft and I like to see what is up and flying and right before I close it I always filter for a 7700 squawk.  Just happened to be one this time.

ETA to add glad they are down safe
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:19:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Boeing is about to get bitch slapped again, their fault or SWA fault
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:23:08 PM EDT
[#17]
So I wonder if it caught fire or just started shutting down.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:27:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:28:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By MattyMattel:
Damn Love Field still surrounded by a shithole? Was when I lived there.
View Quote

Yup. There’s a chichfila and In n Out on Mockingbird now so there’s that.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:53:55 AM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

Thanks for that
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:18:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Kubota3430:
View Quote

Boeing doesn't make the engines.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:27:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Too much BS going on in the commercial aviation industry in America.  Is all this coincidence?  Bad quality control?  Or an agenda?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:32:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By NotJackMiller:

View All Quotes

The only Southwest engine I've hauled was going to GE in Malaysia for rebuilding. The third world isn't who I would choose to repair my engine.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:34:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Brawndo:
The only Southwest engine I've hauled was going to GE in Malaysia for rebuilding. The third world isn't who I would choose to repair my engine.
View All Quotes

nothing like outsourcing one of the most important parts of the plane, at least they have two I suppose.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:40:30 AM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

Door popped out?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:44:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By MtnMusic:

Door popped out?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MtnMusic:

Door popped out?

It was an engine failure.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:19:36 PM EDT
[#27]

ETA:

ETA 2:

ETA 3:

ETA 4:

View Quote

Interesting. Glad everyone is ok.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:21:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BillofRights] [#28]
Crazy how everything is reported in real time these days.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:28:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Does Boeing make the emergency slide? Here's todays. I think I'm going to take my chances with ground transportation from here on out.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/delta-air-lines-boeing-plane-loses-emergency-slide-mid-flight-crew-hears-non-routine-vibrations
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:33:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By 1AEGW:
Does Boeing make the emergency slide? Here's todays. I think I'm going to take my chances with ground transportation from here on out.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/delta-air-lines-boeing-plane-loses-emergency-slide-mid-flight-crew-hears-non-routine-vibrations
View Quote
Your aircraft, ship, train, bus, or auto is only as good as the mechanics that are working on it. That goes for at when it's manufactured, as well as normal servicing and maintenance. The future is indeed frightening.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:13:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Your aircraft, ship, train, bus, or auto is only as good as the mechanics that are working on it. That goes for at when it's manufactured, as well as normal servicing and maintenance. The future is indeed frightening.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 1AEGW:

4 of those don’t fall out of the sky when something breaks
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:32:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: B5Sluggo] [#32]

View All Quotes

Southern Pride?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:15:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Lug1:
Too much BS going on in the commercial aviation industry in America.  Is all this coincidence?  Bad quality control?  Or an agenda?
View Quote

Remember a year or two ago when that train derailed in Ohio, with the big fire and chemical spill, then every few days another railroad mishap would make the news? This is like that.

My tinfoil may be on a bit tight, but I think that the focus on everything that involves a Boeing aircraft, while ignoring all the other planes, is an effort to lower Boeing stock price, so someone can buy a truckload of it cheap before WWIII becomes official. Yes, I know that is a bit out there.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:26:17 PM EDT
[#34]

ETA:

ETA 2:

ETA 3:

ETA 4:

View Quote

Thank you!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top