Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Golf
Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2024 8:23:23 PM EDT
Heart failure sucks.

John was the old scoutmaster and still went to camp in the summer.  We'd sneak of and play Tagalong or Turtleback in WI by the camp.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Fairways and green buddy, fairways and greens.

Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:58:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Man....I feel for you.  We lost the elder statesman in our 4 some about 10 years ago.  

It has neve been the same....
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 10:04:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm a bit over 70 and have lost about 6 friends in the last year. It's happening more often now and is a bit depressing.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 10:12:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Goostoff] [#3]
Sorry for your loss.  Things like this change your soul.  I had a very close childhood friend pass of a massive heart attack at the age of 26. Not only were we childhood friends but we grew up together going fishing almost every day. We would ride our bicycles for miles out in the country to our favorite fishing holes. As we grew up we were able to drive to them. When he passed I wasn't able to enjoy fishing anymore.  I quit going all together. I would take my kids fishing and just sit on the bank and help them but rarely ever cast a line. Last year I bought a license for the first time in probably 25 years. My oldest son called me up one day and asked if I wanted to go fishing with him. I was actually able to enjoy it a bit, and went a few more times. I think this weekend I may just order my 2024 license  and do a little more fishing this year.

ETA  Sorry for the ramble there but man that felt good to get that out there. I have never spoke of that before.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 10:30:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Damn, I’m sorry man. He does look like a fun guy to be around. He’s got that troublemaker grin. I’ll bet there’s some stories and good memories.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 10:31:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys.

I actually got a pair of  the Loudmouth Golf taco shorts he was known for wearing, and came out of the bathroom at the course after a stealth wardrobe change wearing them.  

Attachment Attached File

He was an awesome guy, and spent a lot of time helping boys grow into men that weren't afraid to get outside and get dirty.

Link Posted: 4/1/2024 11:57:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm sorry for your and your group's loss.  I see the pictures and I realize I'm not that much younger.  If at all.  

We're not guaranteed tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 12:07:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Logcutter:
Heart failure sucks.

John was the old scoutmaster and still went to camp in the summer.  We'd sneak of and play Tagalong or Turtleback in WI by the camp.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/543436/IMG_20210715_080701295_HDR_jpg-3175964.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/543436/IMG_20220714_081411693_jpg-3175965.JPG

Fairways and green buddy, fairways and greens.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/2/2024 12:07:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Goostoff:
Sorry for your loss.  Things like this change your soul.  I had a very close childhood friend pass of a massive heart attack at the age of 26. Not only were we childhood friends but we grew up together going fishing almost every day. We would ride our bicycles for miles out in the country to our favorite fishing holes. As we grew up we were able to drive to them. When he passed I wasn't able to enjoy fishing anymore.  I quit going all together. I would take my kids fishing and just sit on the bank and help them but rarely ever cast a line. Last year I bought a license for the first time in probably 25 years. My oldest son called me up one day and asked if I wanted to go fishing with him. I was actually able to enjoy it a bit, and went a few more times. I think this weekend I may just order my 2024 license  and do a little more fishing this year.

ETA  Sorry for the ramble there but man that felt good to get that out there. I have never spoke of that before.
View Quote

Enjoy the time with your son

Link Posted: 4/2/2024 12:27:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Sorry for your loss OP. My regular group played with an empty seat in one cart for a while after losing one member on the course. He had complained about indigestion or heartburn a couple of times, had a massive heart attack on the 12th hole. None of us recognized any oncoming symptoms, not even the doctor in the group.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 4:34:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Sorry Logcutter.  That's  a difficult loss. Remember him dearly. After my uncle died of the same, we did memorial round for the first 10 years. It was cathartic and much fun was had reminiscing with stories.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 9:47:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By BigPolska:

Enjoy the time with your son

View Quote

Every chance I get. We golf together every weekend along with my son-in-law, so I make sure to always keep them close without smothering them. I'm just glad that they always think of me when its time to enjoy the outdoors.

Link Posted: 4/2/2024 10:09:47 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't golf but my dad llove to golf. I go on a fishing trip with him every year and he sneaks away and plays at both of those courses you mentioned.

It's funny bc I don't golf but we'll talk about golf all day on the fishing boat together.

Sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 7:46:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 7:46:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Logcutter] [#14]
Shit better not happen in three's.  Guy on my golf team's dad getting taken off the vent tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 8:08:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Logcutter:
Shit better not happen in three's.  Guy on my golf team's dad getting taken off the vent tomorrow.
View Quote

Praying for him man.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:08:43 PM EDT
[#16]
I am sorry OP...

I just lost one of mine and a drinkin buddy.  He was a Navy Vet and about 10 years younger than my father.  My son called him grandpa Pat.  He fell down his stairs and cracked his head literally.  In fact we were setting up tournaments to play in the night before he fell. You just never know your time. Enjoy every moment you have.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:43:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Sorry for your loss Logcutter

Someone once told me "We have much to learn from our older friends.  One of those things is how to accept loss when we lose them"

Most of my close friends are several years older than me
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:07:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks guys.  The funeral was tough.
Page General » Golf
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top