Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2024 8:35:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Clarinath]
I bought a M1A and had plans of leaving it stock with iron sights.

But my eyes have gotten to the point where I can’t see quite well enough to use them for shots past 200 yards.

How easy is to take the Springfield scope mount off, with a mounted scope, and will it be back on zero when/if put back.

UPDATE - I ordered the Bassett High Mount, now I have to find a Vortex Viper PST FFP with an EBR 2C reticle… @VortexSam
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:40:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Not a chance IMO
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:42:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Clarinath:
... will it be back on zero when/if put back.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:44:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought a M1A and had plans of leaving it stock with iron sights.

But my eyes have gotten to the point where I can’t see quite well enough to use them for shots past 200 yards.

How easy is to take the Springfield scope mount off, with a mounted scope, and will it be back on zero when/if put back.
View Quote
Depending on your eye problem a smaller aperture rear sight might help.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:52:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a springfield M1A National match I've had for 20+ years and I have never been able to get it to scope right. I love the gun but hate the idea of putting a scope on it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:56:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Spl1nter_c311] [#5]
yeah, no dice. Especially that POS rail mount with the knob that comes with it.
If you really want to do it correctly...

Arms M21 mount if you can find it (not made any more)
Smith Enterprises https://www.smithenterprise.com/product/pn-2006-m14-scope-mount/ or https://www.smithenterprise.com/product/tactical-sniper-mount-m14-nsn-1005-01-535-4430/
Sadlak https://www.sadlak.com/m1a-store

Then get yourself a re-zero scope mount like Larues.

I've tried a bunch of different things, and the Smith Enterprise / Arms & Larue are what worked for me.

Things that didn't work.  The lone picatinny rail that sits on the stripper clip feed. Scope would never stay zerod. Also didn't work was that POS mount that came with the gun for an extra hundred bucks.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:03:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mac1020:
I have a springfield M1A National match I've had for 20+ years and I have never been able to get it to scope right. I love the gun but hate the idea of putting a scope on it.
View Quote

Yep even with a Smith mount. You see the right windage to the mount. I couldn't even get on paper at 100 yards.
Op said Sprongfield rifle and Sprongfield mount. That's like dividing 0÷0.
Sadlek makes a gauge that you can measure your receiver spec and they'll custom make a mount for you.
But its been 20+ years since I was in the M14 scene.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:06:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I've seen lots of complaints about that springfield mount breaking after use. I'd stay away.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:12:41 PM EDT
[#8]
You’re looking for this.

Bassett Machine
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:13:17 PM EDT
[#9]
If you want a scope mount that you can fairly easily remove and reattach while maintaining zero, check out Bassett. They probably have the best reputation for maintaining zero in an on and off application.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:17:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stickfigure] [#10]
Sadlak Airborne Steel Mount.

And while you are at it buy a Sadlak recoil spring guide rod.

I have one on my Federal Ordnance M14, I wouldn't bother with any other scope mounts.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:19:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Sadlak since I don’t think Gruning makes theirs any more.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:24:21 PM EDT
[#12]
My last M1A had a Sadlak and it was a tack driver.

One of my best shots at 500 yards hit as perfectly in the X as possible.

All that was left was the 4 ends of the X.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:26:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Morlawn66] [#13]
Originally Posted By Spl1nter_c311:
yeah, no dice. Especially that POS rail mount with the knob that comes with it.
If you really want to do it correctly...

Arms M21 mount if you can find it (not made any more)
Smith Enterprises https://www.smithenterprise.com/product/pn-2006-m14-scope-mount/ or https://www.smithenterprise.com/product/tactical-sniper-mount-m14-nsn-1005-01-535-4430/
Sadlak https://www.sadlak.com/m1a-store

Then get yourself a re-zero scope mount like Larues.

I've tried a bunch of different things, and the Smith Enterprise / Arms & Larue are what worked for me.

Things that didn't work.  The lone picatinny rail that sits on the stripper clip feed. Scope would never stay zerod. Also didn't work was that POS mount that came with the gun for an extra hundred bucks.

View Quote

Had the pos Springfeild mount ,  went with the Sadlak mount next ,  Took me a while to digest the very technical instructions .

Fred's GI fiberglass stock to replace the original so I could drill it for a Karstens cheek rest .
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:31:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Sadlak or Arms 18 ,I doubt you can find an Arms right now. Sadlak is an improved Brookfield. Once you get it mounted in centerline don't take it off of you are damn familiar with the platform
PM me and I will try to help to late and too buzzed for me to do a tutorial
S/F out
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:33:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Doesn’t the Sadlak mar the top of the front of the receiver?
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:37:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Mine had the Sadlak. If you could find a low enough QD one piece scope mount, maybe that would work for you?
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:39:14 PM EDT
[#17]
I scoped my Polytech, found out I shoot it about 2 moa with a scope, and without.

Scope mount is in a drawer somewhere.

It’s a battlerifle.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:39:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Doesn’t the Sadlak mar the top of the front of the receiver?
View Quote

My rifle is ceracoated camo and it doesn't matter to me, speaking of which I should take it out soon and throw some lead with it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:43:32 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a Sadlak mount on my M1a, it doesn't keep a perfect zero when removed and reinstalled, close but not exact.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:44:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By PR361:
I scoped my Polytech, found out I shoot it about 2 moa with a scope, and without.

It’s a battlerifle.
View Quote

a common conclusion.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:48:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By stickfigure:
Sadlak Airborne Steel Mount.

And while you are at it buy a Sadlak recoil spring guide rod.

I have one on my Federal Ordnance M14, I wouldn't bother with any other scope mounts.

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/642c84_f0612a4e0d874834bfb73cd91b3d4ea2~mv2.png/v1/fill/w_680,h_680,al_c,q_90,enc_auto/642c84_f0612a4e0d874834bfb73cd91b3d4ea2~mv2.png
View Quote

This is what I would get ALONG with QD rings that are repeatable.  The Sadak mount secures not only on the receiver but also on the replaced clip guide.  That gives it two points instead of one like another one.  Springfield has that aluminium one point mount but being aluminium it walks.  BTW, the Soviets gave up on the cantilver mount on the M91/30 for the PE/PEM scope in WW II and went with QD side mount that was more stable.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:51:22 PM EDT
[#22]
If it is the one knob mount it is junk. Sadlak is the answer you seek.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:59:17 PM EDT
[#23]
I put an SA mount on a Polytech 30+ years ago, I remember proper protocol at the time being tighten the knobs as tight as you can get them then beat it into place with a leather mallet, re-tighten and repeat until the vee grooves mated to full depth in the receiver effectively extruding the aluminum mount. Mine had to be shimmed between the mount and the stripper clip guide block with a hardened parallel ground washer.

It never came loose and is still on the gun which I haven't shot in at least 20 years.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:03:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By HurtzDoughnut:
You’re looking for this.

Bassett Machine
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:13:37 AM EDT
[#25]
So, Sadlak or Basset mount.

QD scope rings and scope.

I didn’t think past the mount itself…
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:17:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:28:59 AM EDT
[#27]
No chance. Also I purchased a milspec sadlak mount in the day . The sadlak was fine. The hole for the mount in the receiver was off. Caused me to max my windage . There are options to replace the rear sight with a small mount for an rds or primary arms 1x .
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:13:29 AM EDT
[#28]
I've got an M1 Garand with an Amega Ranges scout scope mount (replaces the lower handguard) on it.  I used a 2X7 LER pistol scope and Warne QD rings on it.

I've taken it off, at the range, to show someone how easy it is to remove the scope and use the iron sights if I had to and then put the scope back on.  It was never more than an inch off at 100 yds.

You can buy similar mounts for the M1A (Amega Ranges or another brand I never can remember).  You have to put the scope mounts back in the same spot on the rail they come out of and move the levers back to the same orientation (tightness) they were at before you removed it.  So a mark of some kind on the base/rail and on the rings so you know how far to turn the lever is a good thing.

It has to be a long eye relief (LER) scope or pistol scope to work as the scope is out on the barrel, not on the receiver.

Sorry, no pictures of my M1 Garand as it tends to trigger people who think an M1 should never be scoped/altered.  

Oh, if you decided to put it back (the M1A) to as bought conditions you just remove the scout scope mount and put the original handguard back on it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:16:35 AM EDT
[#29]
You need a basset mount.

http://www.bassettmachine.com/
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:39:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ridgerunner9876] [#30]
Originally Posted By PR361:

It’s a battlerifle.
View Quote

True, but some of us can't see.

I lucked into the ARMS mount off of an arfcommer via a thread similar to this one. I have it duded up like an Israeli sniper rifle with the Nimrod (Kahles) 6x with the BDC turret and ZFM reticle. I like it.

I wouldn't expect any mount to re-mate with an M1a receiver with any real precision. I don't really see the need for me, personally. Anything I shoot, pretty much, has glass now.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:52:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Sadlak mount for the win. Sadlak has a Youtube video showing the fitting and install of the mount.

FedEx has my new Scout Squad out for delivery today and I have another Sadlak mount waiting in the box if I decide to scope the rifle. The factory barrel mounted rail and the comp are getting ditched for a GI hand guard and neutered flash hider.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:09:55 PM EDT
[#32]
I use a titanium Sadlak. on/off/on it'sclose but not quite. Best one I've used. As others have said, the SA is a POS.
Link Posted: Yesterday 8:22:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Bassett called me, on a Sunday.  What a great customer service.

Mrs. Bassett called me and told me they were completely out of metal for the mounts.  This has never happened before.

They have some coming in, but the mount won’t be available until early to mid July.

All in all pretty cool customer service experience.

Sad that it will take so long though.
Link Posted: Yesterday 8:30:55 PM EDT
[#34]
If I were you I'd just get a Sadlak mount and be done with it.   No you can't take it off and expect it to maintain zero.   With the M14 type rifles you really do need to make it one or the other, irons or optics.
Link Posted: Yesterday 9:11:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: styles] [#35]
Definitely Sadlak Airborne mount and op rod.

Your irons will still be shootable thru the lower part of the mount.  There is a channel.
Link Posted: Yesterday 9:23:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Clarinath] [#36]
Originally Posted By Square66:
If I were you I'd just get a Sadlak mount and be done with it.   No you can't take it off and expect it to maintain zero.   With the M14 type rifles you really do need to make it one or the other, irons or optics.
View Quote

I Ike what I had read about the Bassett, and the return to zero option.

I already talked about my Sadlak mount…
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top