BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/11/2024 4:29:31 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 4:33:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tuco22] [#1]
They're trying to do away with the cognitive side to quit losing viewership ground to the NFL.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 4:35:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Baseball is a snooze fest after about the 4th-5th inning even with the new pitch clock implemented.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 4:38:54 PM EDT
[#3]
No, I got tired of watching them dick around taking half a fucking hour to attempt to decide, to one day, in the near future, perhaps maybe pretty please, throw a fucking pitch sometime this fucking century.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 4:39:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 10mmManiac:
Baseball is a snooze fest after about the 4th-5th inning even with the new pitch clock implemented.
View Quote

I've never been able to sit and watch a whole baseball game, and can't remember the last time I turned one on.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 4:40:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 4:50:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dace] [#6]
LOL no. They are still to long. And I love baseball. But geeze do they take forever.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 4:55:02 PM EDT
[#7]
When I’ve been to a game in person, I prefer the slower pre-pitch count.

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:02:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ZF-1] [#8]
I think the Bananas might frown in your general pitch clock hating direction....

Attachment Attached File

But then again they do a bunch of dancing on the mound so maybe not....
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:03:58 PM EDT
[#9]
100% in favor of getting rid of the pitch clock or at least doubling the time limit. Baseball isn't supposed to be fast. Want a fixed-time game? Watch soccer or football or basketball or nearly anything else. Part of the appeal of baseball is that it isn't about beating a clock. It's about beating the other team. That might take 15 innings and 6 hours. So be it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:06:41 PM EDT
[#10]
They lost me when the 94 strike canceled the World Series.  Fuck sportsball
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:26:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: McCandles] [#11]
Originally Posted By Butternut:
Tie game, in the 9th, 3-2 count. There is NO reason on earth to rush that, IMHO. It's what makes it, for me. I didn't really become a fan until recently, in 2019ish, and the tension back then was an amazing ride in a good game, unequaled in any other sports, IMO.
View Quote

^^ and ^^
and I love the game, behind the game.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:29:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stillerfan] [#12]
For TV it helps but it dilutes the in-person experience.  You can no longer go grab food during a half inning.  I went to grab a burger in a game this year and missed 3 innings after waiting in line and for the food.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:33:29 PM EDT
[#13]
They should let players fist-fight umpires.

That would DEFINITELY increase viewership.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:41:06 PM EDT
[#14]
They need to make the game faster if they want young people to watch.

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:41:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Now in order to shorten sporting events perhaps we should now shorten the NFL to only 2 periods of play this would speed up the games and prevent consumers fully enjoying sporting events. Can't have consumers enjoying game play now right.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:45:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By bagofcrabs65:
They need to make the game faster if they want young people to watch.

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:48:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10mmManiac] [#17]
Originally Posted By bagofcrabs65:
They need to make the game faster if they want young anyone to watch.

View Quote

That shit is boring.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:49:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Tuco22:
They're trying to do away with the cognitive side to quit losing viewership ground to the NFL.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:53:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Millennial:
They should let players fist-fight umpires.

That would DEFINITELY increase viewership.
View Quote

Never would’ve guessed Carl Everett was on arf.

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:00:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Butternut:

At first I kinda welcomed it, but now I'm feeling it unnaturally rushes the cognitive side of the game.
View Quote

No.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:00:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Yes but the more entertaining option is back steroids.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:01:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By McCandles:

Now in order to shorten sporting events perhaps we should now shorten the NFL to only 2 periods of play this would speed up the games and prevent consumers fully enjoying sporting events. Can't have consumers enjoying game play now right.
View Quote

It's not necessarily about the length of time the game takes, but the speed of play. The NFL has a play clock to speed up game play. Even the PGA has rules about speed of play.

MLB wouldn't need a pitch clock if teams and players didn't absolutely abuse delaying game play in a million different ways.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:06:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Most of yall must be too young to remember Bob Gibson throwing a complete game 5 hitter in 1hr and 58 minutes. Nothing rushed, he was just glaring at the batter daring him to not get in the box. Other teams pitcher must have been pretty good too, although I do not remember him.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:08:31 PM EDT
[#24]
If I’m at home I like the clock. At the ballpark it’s too fast. Don’t know why I feel that way but I do.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:37:10 PM EDT
[#25]
One of my favorite things to do is drink at the pool, come home a little sunburned and lay on the couch to watch a 7 hour braves game. Pitch clock cuts my enjoyment in half.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:46:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By el_hombre:
They lost me when the 94 strike canceled the World Series.  Fuck sportsball
View Quote

That would have been an interesting year. I think Matt Williams and Jeff Bagwell were around the 30 hr mark at the All Star break. Maybe Greg Maddox would have had a chance to have a 1968 Bob Gibson like ERA. He was really on fire.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 6:47:25 PM EDT
[#27]
I think it would be perfect at 30 seconds, 20 is just too short.

It needed to happen though.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:11:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Pitch clock was needed.

Pitchers and batters were slowing the game way the hell down.

I still won't watch because of the strike years and other stuff.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:21:34 PM EDT
[#29]
View Quote
..which is chock FULL of straight-up pauses.  Eight seconds of play, let's chill and think about it for a couple minutes before the next several seconds of play.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:44:51 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

Think faster then.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:54:01 PM EDT
[#31]
I suspect it contributes to what seems like an increased rate of injuries for the pitchers.

Unfortunately it was the result of teams being unable to responsibly deal with an at-bat in a reasonable amount of time.  Everyone spent too long fucking around at the mound or plate, there’s a dozen throws to first to keep the runner in check, etc.  So now there’s a rule that’s probably a knee jerk in the other direction.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:28:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By astro_wanabe:
100% in favor of getting rid of the pitch clock or at least doubling the time limit. Baseball isn't supposed to be fast. Want a fixed-time game? Watch soccer or football or basketball or nearly anything else. Part of the appeal of baseball is that it isn't about beating a clock. It's about beating the other team. That might take 15 innings and 6 hours. So be it.
View Quote

This. Part of the appeal of baseball was the Pitcher vs Batter dual. Man vs Man. There's strategy in baseball, it's just more nuanced than in other sports. No time limits, no ties. Three up, three down, for nine innings or for however many it takes for one team to outscore the other.

They're ruining one of the best sports out there. Players make a shit ton of money in the Majors. Earn it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:29:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Yes
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:31:28 PM EDT
[#34]
All professional sports is on a decline amongst young people.  

In 50 years many current professional sports will just be a niche area if the trend continues amongst the younger generations.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:34:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ArmyInfantryVet] [#35]
Dudes taking 45-60 seconds between pitches was ridiculous.

Add more innings?

Also what cognitive side of the game? You can hit a curve ball or you can't. This isn't Chess or Go.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:36:35 PM EDT
[#36]
I completely agree.  I have a hard time believing that the pitch clock has suddenly made a bunch of people who were undecided about baseball into fans.

At the least double the time limit or make it situational so the pitcher isn’t rushed to throw when the tie run is on second.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:39:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Nope, I like the pitch clock.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:43:22 PM EDT
[#38]
My take is that last year when the pitch clock came into the game, I didn't like it at all.

Now, I don't mind it so much, especially when games seem to drag.

Like tonight's White Sox defeat of the Guardians, 3-1. Glad that game's over and looking forward to a fresh start tomorrow afternoon at 2:10 dst.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:48:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Findsman:
I suspect it contributes to what seems like an increased rate of injuries for the pitchers.

Unfortunately it was the result of teams being unable to responsibly deal with an at-bat in a reasonable amount of time.  Everyone spent too long fucking around at the mound or plate, there's a dozen throws to first to keep the runner in check, etc.  So now there's a rule that's probably a knee jerk in the other direction.
View Quote
Doubt on the increased injury.  They already have an understanding why it is happening.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:52:20 PM EDT
[#40]
GET RID OF THE STUPID FUCKING BULLSHIT USELESS ASS GHOST RUNNER !!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:53:41 PM EDT
[#41]
I hate the pitch clock. I hate the new intentional walk. I hate the rules regarding mound visits and pickoff attempts.

...but the players ruined it first by talking too long to play the game.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:56:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By McCandles:

View Quote

Baseball is entertainment.

Society, especially young people, are entertained by 30 second video clips now.
Hate it, disagree with it, whatever. We are just old men yelling at clouds.

Either baseball changes as the market changes or it dies.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:06:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Engineer5] [#43]
Originally Posted By enforcer5369:
If I’m at home I like the clock. At the ballpark it’s too fast. Don’t know why I feel that way but I do.
View Quote

Does anyone go to MLB games?  Everytime I flip through one on the TV the stands are empty.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:07:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Engineer5] [#44]
Double Tap
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:07:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: governmentman] [#45]
Nope.

The game has been creeping longer / slower for decades.

Need to speed it back up somehow.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:11:04 PM EDT
[#46]
I like the pitch clock, games were too long.  Hell I'd be ok with them shortening regular season games to 7 innings, then playoffs back to 9.  They play almost every single day, the games don't need to be long.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:11:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By 10mmManiac:
View Quote

Wrong
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:18:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StanGram] [#48]
I love baseball, and am generally a purist against any change at all.

That said... I think the pitch clock is awesome.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:19:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:21:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By vipersbyms:

It's not necessarily about the length of time the game takes, but the speed of play. The NFL has a play clock to speed up game play. Even the PGA has rules about speed of play.

MLB wouldn't need a pitch clock if teams and players didn't absolutely abuse delaying game play in a million different ways.
View Quote
This 100%
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top