Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2024 5:58:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fadedsun]
I have questions

MCDOWELL COUNTY, N.C. (WLOS) — A bone-chilling incident was caught on camera outside a home in North Carolina.

“As I’m folding one towel, I have my phone lying in front of me and I see an alert that there’s some motion on the back,” Preston McHone told WLOS.

It was a few minutes after 11 p.m. on Saturday when, on his phone, he saw a man dressed in camouflage pointing a gun toward his home.

“So, I just turn around and yell, ‘Billy, there’s somebody at our back door with a gun,’” McHone recalled.

Promoted Links
Millionaire Laughs At Poor Family In Restaurant, Then Waitress Hands Him An Unbelievable Note On The Bill
investing.com
“And he asks me, ‘Is this a joke?’” McHone's partner, Billy Brooks, said.

Preston McHone and Billy Brooks say a man with a gun was seen on camera pulling the trigger before running away when the weapon didn't fire. (Photo Credit: Billy Brooks)

Initially, they thought it was police at the wrong house or a teenager with an airsoft gun.

On video, the man quickly flees after inspecting his gun, apparently misfiring, according to Brooks and McHone.

As he pulls the trigger, he turns and, in that short turn, he’s realizing it didn’t go off because he’s supposed to, at that point, have shot him and would be turning towards me,” McHone said.
The couple hid inside their home in McDowell County for several minutes until law enforcement arrived.

According to the McDowell County Sheriff's Office, Tyler Messer is the man seen on camera eerily pointing the gun toward the home.

Authorities say Tyler Austin Messer, 29, is facing charges after allegedly pointing a gun at a North Carolina home on Saturday, March 23, 2024. (Courtesy: McDowell County Detention Center)
Authorities say Tyler Austin Messer, 29, is facing charges after allegedly pointing a gun at a North Carolina home on Saturday, March 23, 2024. (Courtesy: McDowell County Detention Center)

A day later, deputies arrested and charged him with assault by pointing a gun, trespassing and stalking.

“In my mind, the first thing I’m thinking once we’ve just gotten all these bits and pieces of the puzzle, like for how long?" McHone asked. "This has been on his mind, and we’ve thought nothing of him."

Both men said Saturday night wasn't Messer's first uninvited visit to their home.

Brooks posted the security video on Facebook shortly after and received a message saying the person on camera (Messer) is the same person who visited their home on three separate occasions.

I didn’t really think any more about it until this incident," Brooks said. "And that was like a year ago ... and the very first contact from his friend was, ‘Yeah, that’s Tyler Messer, he’s the one that had been coming to your house.' And it all clicked.”
The McDowell County Sheriff's Office said more charges are anticipated but did not provide any details regarding motive.

“Am I going to have to sell my home that I’ve lived here and up until this point it’s been peaceful?” Brooks asked.

And the clincher as to why

He “believed” they were trafficking children out of it
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 6:03:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: delemorte] [#1]
ETA. NM different story. WTF

ETA2. Yea it's the same story  but you got more detail. Weird dude.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/NC-Couple-Watches-on-Security-Cam-as-Man-Points-Gun-in-Their-Home/5-2715765/
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 6:04:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Mental illness is a plague
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 6:06:51 AM EDT
[#3]
The residents have some good electronics protecting them but they need to up their level.  Visitors to our home wonder why I have the cameras and alarms I have.  To me it is money well spent.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 6:37:30 AM EDT
[#4]
That's the county beside me. There is a reason it's called 'MethDowell' Co.

That said, that one of the nicer homes there, and sounds like owner is an alright guy. Lots of shady characters out there.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 6:44:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I Wish a Mother F$@#*@ Would!
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:02:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EEgeek] [#6]
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that most members here would have returned fire if we saw that on our phones.
Edit: My self included
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:20:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Methhead?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:25:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Shouldn't that be attempted murder?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:36:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Misleading title or I’m missing when he actually broke into their home.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:44:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By EEgeek:
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that most members here would have returned fire if we saw that on our phones.
View Quote

You are not entirely incorrect.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:51:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By 14Karat:
The residents have some good electronics protecting them but they need to up their level.  Visitors to our home wonder why I have the cameras and alarms I have.  To me it is money well spent.
View Quote

Yup. Same here!
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:16:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By EEgeek:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:07:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:18:38 PM EDT
[#14]
It seems like I've read quite a few stories about different people who have murdered or tried to murder people whom they incorrectly believed to be involved in some manner of human trafficking. Big uptick in the last couple of years.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:29:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Graduate of the Squeaky Fromme shooting school.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:37:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By JimEb:
Misleading title or I’m missing when he actually broke into their home.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:43:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Too bad he wasn't dead right there. Sounds somewhat similar to that case in FL, where a guy got a revelation from God/Drugs that he had to save "Amber". He finds some people mowing the grass, and starts harassing them about "Amber". They tell him to fuck off, which works. Then he comes back late at night in camo, invades the house, and kills 4 people.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:55:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bigger_Hammer] [#18]
View Quote

W.T.F.?

Dude is all decked out with his Cammos & Tactical vest...

User Name?

LOL that his AR balked when he wanted to murder someone.

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:59:31 PM EDT
[#19]
I’d guess this was a hit initiated by someone close to the victim...
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:04:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By HKPDW:
I’d guess this was a hit initiated by someone close to the victim...
View Quote

Or maybe camo guy just doesn’t like gay dudes
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:46:57 PM EDT
[#21]
watched the video.  that does sound a lot like an airsoft.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top