Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2023 7:09:31 PM EDT
Guys,

I am getting towards building my 1/35 scale Tamiya M4A3E8 "Korean War" version. I know it comes with the
excellent "demon face" American decals, but I'd kinda like to build a Canadian version. Specifically, "Catherine"
from "C" Squadron, Lord Strathcona's Horse. It is featured in Steven Zaloga's excellent book "M4 (76mm) Sherman
Medium Tank 1943-65. This tank does NOT have the canvas mantlet cover installed. In the color plates (page "E") it shows
the mantlet like is supplied in the kit. However, on page 43 there is an actual photograph of Catherine on the mantlet shows
rod-like pieces used to attach the mantlet cover to.

The point of this long-ass post is, does anybody make a Sherman mantlet that has the cover hardware on it?
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 2:06:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Papaw:
Guys,

I am getting towards building my 1/35 scale Tamiya M4A3E8 "Korean War" version. I know it comes with the
excellent "demon face" American decals, but I'd kinda like to build a Canadian version. Specifically, "Catherine"
from "C" Squadron, Lord Strathcona's Horse. It is featured in Steven Zaloga's excellent book "M4 (76mm) Sherman
Medium Tank 1943-65. This tank does NOT have the canvas mantlet cover installed. In the color plates (page "E") it shows
the mantlet like is supplied in the kit. However, on page 43 there is an actual photograph of Catherine on the mantlet shows
rod-like pieces used to attach the mantlet cover to.

The point of this long-ass post is, does anybody make a Sherman mantlet that has the cover hardware on it?
https://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/korean-war-canadian-sherman-tanks-m4a3.jpg
View Quote

Some kits do and some kits don't.  The attachment system should be easy enough to replicate with some styrene sheets and rods.

I have a couple of huge 76mm Sherman pics I took that show the mantlet very well if you want.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 11:04:44 PM EDT
[#2]
M&Models has a couple that look like they may be right.  But the problem with these resin add ons is you are stuck to the barrel angle the sculptor wanted
https://www.mmodelstore.com/search.aspx?find=Sherman+mantlet

Their shipping is a little high.   Kitlinx is another good possibility to have these.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 2:57:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MPiKM] [#3]
There's a seller on eBay called PartsPalacePlus that sell single sprues from kits. It looks like he has the sprue from the WW2 version of that kit with the mantlet you're looking for.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/305321118634
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 1:17:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys, for the assist.

I found today a place I was slightly aware of, TIGER Models, that specialize in resin detail sets/items.

Found the mantlet I was looking for, as well as some replacement large driver hatches for Shermans that I need
for the ETO E8 build I'm working on now. The Tamiya kit hatches depict closed periscopes which piss me off;
how are these guys supposed to SEE?! Also picked up a set of periscope guards and clear resin periscopes.

These guys have a LOT of stuff; I recommend them for your detail needs.

Thanks again!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top