Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 4/17/2024 12:23:16 PM EDT
U.S. Air Force Secretary admits that less than a third of F-35s built by Lockheed Martin are operationally capable

Lockheed Martin Builds Planes That Can't Fly!!
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:23:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Is that an FMC rate?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:26:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RealityCheck0311] [#2]
The F35 will turn 18 years old next year so I'm sure Gaetz will immediately lose interest.

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:27:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RealityCheck0311:
The F35 will turn 18 years old next year so I'm sure Gaetz's interest will immediately drop off.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:28:47 PM EDT
[#4]
The F35 will turn 18 years old next year so I'm sure Gaetz's interest will immediately drop off.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:33:30 PM EDT
[#5]
The story I hear is that the current engine cannot provide enough electrical power and cooling for the F-35s onboard computers. P&W is working on fixing this, but there's also the idea that GE could build a whole new type of engine which would, if it worked. Address these issues, but this new engine would not be compatible with the lift fan system. Rendering the B model unworkable.

Its a mess, no 2 ways about it. I'm firmly of the view that this is because the plane is too small to fit all this stuff. The existing F-35 is already 3 different planes with only 30% parts commonality between the whole fleet.

I see no way out of this except an apocalyptic war which would expunge the military industrial complex in its current form. Likely replacing it with something far more corrupt, powerful and terrifying.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:34:35 PM EDT
[#6]
The F35 will turn 18 years old next year so I'm sure Gaetz will immediately lose interest.

View Quote

Damn teenagers.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:36:45 PM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:39:17 PM EDT
[#8]
They overloaded them with more shit and now it is under powered.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:39:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Hesperus:
The story I hear is that the current engine cannot provide enough electrical power and cooling for the F-35s onboard computers. P&W is working on fixing this, but there's also the idea that GE could build a whole new type of engine which would, if it worked. Address these issues, but this new engine would not be compatible with the lift fan system. Rendering the B model unworkable.

Its a mess, no 2 ways about it. I'm firmly of the view that this is because the plane is too small to fit all this stuff. The existing F-35 is already 3 different planes with only 30% parts commonality between the whole fleet.

I see no way out of this except an apocalyptic war which would expunge the military industrial complex in its current form. Likely replacing it with something far more corrupt, powerful and terrifying.
View Quote

GE’s XA100: The Future of the F-35 is Adaptive
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:42:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Lockheed Martin like Boeing and so many other modern manufacturers have overrelied on subcontractors and created an overly complicated web of production that is causing them deep issues.  

Ray Charles could have seen this coming, but somehow modern Western society rewards mediocre jackasses with higher and higher positions both within the private and public sector.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:42:55 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

I disagree with you on most every count.

This was a good crack. 10/10 post.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:43:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By LotBoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ1XDkGV3gk
View Quote

Ugh, I hate that art style.

Environmentally friendly...
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:43:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By KaerMorhenResident:
Lockheed Martin like Boeing and so many other modern manufacturers have overrelied on subcontractors and created an overly complicated web of production that is causing them deep issues.  

Ray Charles could have seen this coming, but somehow modern Western society rewards mediocre jackasses with higher and higher positions both within the private and public sector.
View Quote

Sir, it's called Diversity.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:44:28 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:45:30 PM EDT
[#15]
I am told by sources it takes 25 minutes from a pilot sitting to have weapons online is 24 minutes. Not a great fast reacting intercept plane.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:46:31 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote
Great summary of that aircraft's issues, thx.  Eisenhower was way more prescient than even he could have surmised.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:50:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Gspointer:
Is that an FMC rate?
View Quote

Yes.  And Gaetz is lambasting the CSAF for not knowing the exact FMC rate for an aircraft off the top of his head.  It's absurd.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:51:32 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm thinking that 29% number is optimistic.  

These are actual GAO charts:

Attachment Attached File

Over time the Full Mission Capable rate of the older aircraft have gone to ZERO.  ZERO.  Let me say it again... ZERO.

Does anyone think that is a good use of our defense dollars?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:53:20 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

30% commonality seems a bit high.
I guess you can get that if you count pilot controls and fuel pumps, p-clamps , and fuel line connectors
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:53:25 PM EDT
[#20]
This plane, and it's advertised (but never proven or even demonstrated) capabilities are complete bullshit.

The truth comes out eventually.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:54:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By R_S:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/33354/F35_readiness_jpg-3190369.JPG

Over time the Full Mission Capable rate of the older aircraft have gone to ZERO.  ZERO.  Let me say it again... ZERO.

View Quote

What do you believe we should be buying instead of fifth gen fighters?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:54:56 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

Democrats will believe anything.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:57:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:

Yes.  And Gaetz is lambasting the CSAF for not knowing the exact FMC rate for an aircraft off the top of his head.  It's absurd.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Is that an FMC rate?

LOL, the CSAF should know that number by heart.  Its a Big Fing deal for the highest ranking air force officer on active duty to know the readiness of the Air Force.  

If not him then who?  If the CSAF "does not know" the readiness rate of the most expensive program in the history of the DoD that suggests incompetence.

But it's not incompetence.  He knows... He just doesn't want to say.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:57:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By LineOfDeparture:

View Quote

The new normal
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:58:25 PM EDT
[#25]

LOL, the CSAF should know that number by heart.  Its a Big Fing deal for the highest ranking air force officer on active duty to know the readiness of the Air Force.  

If not him then who?  If the CSAF "does not know" the readiness rate of the most expensive program in the history of the DoD that suggests incompetence.

View All Quotes
Is that an FMC rate?

As an exact number to testify to?  Sure Jan.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:59:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By fargo007:
This plane, and it's advertised (but never proven or even demonstrated) capabilities are complete bullshit.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:01:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By fargo007:

View Quote

The Israelis are happy with their F-35i’s.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:03:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: castlebravo84] [#28]

View All Quotes

You got any sources other than GAO? F-35I seems to be doing quite well.

U.S. F-35 Sustainment Lead Details Israel Fleet Ops Since October

The Israeli fleet of Lockheed Martin-built stealth fighters has achieved a 75% full-mission-capable rate and an 85% mission-capable rate despite a 565% jump in monthly average flight hours over a six-month period, said Maj. Gen. Donald Carpenter, the F-35 JPO’s head of logistics and sustainment.

About five of the Israeli F-35I fleet—or 12%—were rated as nonmission capable on the first day of the war, Carpenter said. But Israeli maintainers immediately returned four aircraft to operational service, with 38 jets flying by the end of the day on Oct. 7, Carpenter said.

Anyone else find it funny that the F-35 is coming under attack by Gaetz at the same time Boeing is under the microscope?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:04:15 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

It’s funny, and true’ish.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:06:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By yankee43:

Democrats will believe anything.
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:07:08 PM EDT
[#31]
But is the DEI training up to par?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:07:46 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

How old was Biden's daughter when she was taking showers with him?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:08:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Master_Blaster] [#33]

View Quote

The future is grimdark.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:09:37 PM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes

The answer is obvious to anyone paying any attention whatsoever:

Ukraine Is Losing the Drone War

Ukrainian officials estimate that Russia can now produce or procure around 100,000 drones per month, whereas Ukraine can only churn out half that amount.

Russian companies are also
manufacturing munitions far more cheaply than their Western counterparts, often
compromising on safety to do so: a 152-millimeter artillery shell costs around $600 to
produce in Russia, whereas a 155-millimeter shell costs up to ten times that much to
produce in the West. This economic disadvantage will be difficult for Ukraine’s allies to
overcome.

Ukraine aims to acquire more than two million drones in 2024.

ground assaults remain an integral part of Russia’s drone targeting strategy.

Artillery has long been the King of the Battlefield.
Infantry the Queen.
Drones are starting to change that equation... but artillery and infantry are still KEY elements of warfare.
While fighter jets are Struggling for relevance
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:09:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#35]

View Quote

that doesn;t make a lot of sense... since its inception there have been almost two decades of computer processing improvement, which includes more efficiency giving lower TDPs and/or higher performance.  I mean really, just think how much more awesome computers are in 2024 than 2005.
Why would they replace the entire powerplant of a jet when they could just develop better computers with superior processors and thermal management.  I'm sure it's some level of bureaucracy or artificial inefficiency that's not letting the people that know how to fix the problems actually fix the problems how they want.  Alot of it too is that it's a fighter supposedly with no equal and there's not a current war with a near peer ... so there's no urgency and engineers essentially have forever to keep tinkering and "fixing" things until they no longer work.  The hallmark of a true engineer; If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.  

What they really need to do is replace the F35B lift fan with a generator/capacitor electrical generation unit (that has 30000 shaft horse power on tap at the front of the engine) and then start hanging 300kW laser-pods off the pylons.  pew! pew! pew! (laser noises)  Imagine trying to fight an aircraft that can kill you anywhere line of sight at the speed of light.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:10:54 PM EDT
[#36]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By KaerMorhenResident:

It's called the Gravy Train and there are a lot of pigs slopping at that trough.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:12:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lexington] [#37]

View All Quotes
Is that an FMC rate?

I concur (for what that's worth).
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:15:57 PM EDT
[#38]

View All Quotes
Is that an FMC rate?

A thoughtfully formed estimate would suffice. You know, orders of magnitude, perhaps?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:17:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: R_S] [#39]
CBO Report:

Overall FMC readiness of the F-35B & C is below 20%.  The F-35A is better, but still quite poor.

Effects of Aging. All three F-35 variants have experienced generally declining availability and use with age.
View Quote

The only debate is how sharp that decline is... and it appears to be a rapid decline.

Regarding the F-35I: The first nineteen stealth jets received by Israel will actually be standard F-35A land-based fighters, while the following thirty-one will be true F-35Is modified to integrate Israeli-built hardware.

An official told Aviation Week the IAF expects the advantages of the F-35’s low radar cross section will be “good for five to ten years” before adversaries develop countermeasures. There already exist methods for detecting stealth fighters, including long-range infrared sensors, electromagnetic sensors, and low bandwidth radars (though all have significant limitations), and more exotic technologies such as quantum radar are also under development.
View Quote

So the Israel's don't use the B & C models... which has a dramatic effect on the readiness numbers... as does the fact that the Israeli planes are relatively new.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:19:10 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

OOF!

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:20:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Millennial:

that doesn;t make a lot of sense... since its inception there have been almost two decades of computer processing improvement, which includes more efficiency giving lower TDPs and/or higher performance.  I mean really, just think how much more awesome computers are now than then.
Why would they replace the entire powerplant of a jet when they could just develop better computer with superior processors and thermal management.

What they really need to do is replace the F35B lift fan with a generator/capacitor electrical generation unit (that has 30000 shaft horse power on tap at the front of the engine) and then start hanging 300kW laser-pods off the pylons.  pew! pew! pew! (laser noises)  Imagine trying to fight an aircraft that can kill you anywhere line of sight at the speed of light.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Millennial:

that doesn;t make a lot of sense... since its inception there have been almost two decades of computer processing improvement, which includes more efficiency giving lower TDPs and/or higher performance.  I mean really, just think how much more awesome computers are now than then.
Why would they replace the entire powerplant of a jet when they could just develop better computer with superior processors and thermal management.

I don't think power is the big limit on lasers. The ~200lb battery on KillaCyle (electric drag racing bike) is good for at least 500hp or 372kw in bursts, and the laser's duty cycle would likely be limited more by cooling than the jet's ability to recharge the battery after each shot.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:21:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LurchAddams] [#42]
So for the cost of every bomb dropped by the F35, Iran could launch about 100,000 missiles, correct?

Please feel free to verify my math.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:23:09 PM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes

F15's
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:23:57 PM EDT
[#44]
So they spec's out want they wanted, accepted that and got exactly that, then added a bunch of shit requiring more power requirements?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:25:37 PM EDT
[#45]

View All Quotes

5X to 10X as many 4th gen fighters? Preferably something inexpensive, but boringly reliable and easily serviced would be best.

Quantity has a quality all its own, after all.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:26:30 PM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

Let's see... you want MTG and Gaetz removed from office.  Hmmm.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:29:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CTM1] [#47]

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:30:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: R_S] [#48]
Originally Posted By LurchAddams:
So for the cost of every bomb dropped by the F35, Iran could launch about 100,000 missiles, correct?

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LurchAddams:

Deadly, cheap and widespread: how Iran-supplied drones are changing the nature of warfare

estimated ranges of at least 700km (434 miles) and a cost of $20,000

Yeah, Iran could launch a drone for less than the price of keeping an F-35 in the air for 1 hour... if the F-35 could get in the air

How Much Does An F-35 Cost?

Iran could launch over 5,000 Shahed drones for the price of one unarmed hanger queen with no flight crew
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:31:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By rb889:

5X to 10X as many 4th gen fighters? Preferably something inexpensive, but boringly reliable and easily serviced would be best.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rb889:

Which fourth gen jet can you get for 1/5-1/10 the cost of an F-35?  A new F-15EX is nearly $100M.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:32:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By RAINBOW6:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RAINBOW6:

Leftists accuse others of what they are guilty of, which is a well-known Cluster-B behavior.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top