Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2024 11:49:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CouchCommando22]
The purpose of this thread is to provide some information on medical supplies and specialty gear that could be of some use to some of you. I am by no means an expert. I do have some experience in the medical field, but I am no longer running EMS calls or treating patients daily. I started out as an EMT basic and then became an ACLS paramedic. I then joined the Navy and was an infantry Corpsman and did multiple combat deployments treating injuries on the battlefield. After leaving the military, I did armed security and provided medical care to patients in a very rural setting where I would have sit on the patient until the helicopter could land and hand off the patient.

With all that out of the way, I thought I would share some of the medical supplies I carry and the gear I use and the rational behind it.

Starting out, this is my aid kit I carry with me in my bag for work, bag for hiking and general use. This is NOT an individual first aid kit (IFAK) or a combat live savers (CLS) bag. I have other setups that fall into those categories, but this aid kit in more general purpose.

As you can see, it is larger than an IFAK, but smaller than a CLS bag. I put heavy emphasis on the things that I am more likely to use on both me and others. The first compartment completely opens flat and there are adhesive bandages of all sizes and flavors, anti-biotic ointment, medical tape, hydrocortisone cream, tegaderm, ace wraps, SAM splint, and other supplies. These are the supplies I use the most out of all medical supplies and the compartment I open the most. These supplies are often overlooked when creating and aid bag, but are actually used the most and need to be easily accessible.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The next compartment contains more serious supplies that are for treating life-threating injuries or major injuries. The compartment opens in a about a 45-degree opening, not completely flat like I like, but the bag does stand up on its own, so it does work. In this compartment I have trauma shears, an Israeli bandage, CAT tourniquet, OPA, NPA, needle decompression needle, compressed gauze, two vented chest seals, burn dressing and small laceration kit. That is more than I wanted in this compartment, but I got carried away. The odds of me having to use these supplies, in my current capacity, in the environments I am in, are slim to none. This is not the bag I will grab if roll up on a traffic accident or there is a mass casualty incident. It just more an insurance policy if a life-threatening emergency were to happen close by.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I will be posting more with other bags, supplies and gear. I wanted to start with this bag because it is very practical. Something that more people should have near their persons. However, all the best medical gear in the world means nothing if you don’t have the training to use it. If you haven’t already, take a first aid class, EMT-B class, and know how to do CPR. More to come and thanks for reading.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:58:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Each week I will post a different bag and then eventually my home first aid kit for the family.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:37:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Please list makes of bags too. Always looking for other ideas.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:49:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 50-140] [#3]
I'm in the process of updating my med kit.
These caught my eye on amazon, lacking a sutre kit I'm seeking reviews on the product.  Snake oil or useful product?
Zip Sutres Butterfly closure
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:05:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 50-140:
I'm in the process of updating my med kit.
These caught my eye on amazon, lacking a sutre kit I'm seeking reviews on the product.  Snake oil or useful product?
Zip Sutres Butterfly closure
View Quote

Few people I train with have purchased some to keep in their kits. Seem to work at least in practice. Pricey but not a bad idea to have some on hand. A regular suture kit / stapler is good too but the suture kit takes lots of practice.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:12:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By pupp86:
Please list makes of bags too. Always looking for other ideas.
View Quote

Bags are very subjective. What one person likes, the other night not.

For a larger CLS/ACLS type of bag, I like the Tasmanian Tiger. I like it more than the M9.

The bag I posted above is WYNEX Tactical Molle Admin Pouch. It is a lot bigger than your standard IFAK.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:14:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CouchCommando22] [#6]
Originally Posted By pupp86:

Few people I train with have purchased some to keep in their kits. Seem to work at least in practice. Pricey but not a bad idea to have some on hand. A regular suture kit / stapler is good too but the suture kit takes lots of practice.
View Quote

I don’t suture in the field. I suture in a cleaner environment. I have a staple gun as well, but again, try to avoid in the field, so I don’t put either in my field kits. The zip tie type of kits are good compromise.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 2:39:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By CouchCommando22:

I don't suture in the field. I suture in a cleaner environment. I have a staple gun as well, but again, try to avoid in the field, so I don't put either in my field kits. The zip tie type of kits are good compromise.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/324355/28AC9B4C-EB01-4955-9AE1-B22FABF95D43_jpe-3188617.JPG
View Quote
Thanks for posting that, all I have are butterflies.  

Also, I have one older kit that I needed to use last Friday.  Shit gets old and drys out and this is magnified in a vehicle first aid kit.  Nothing sticks any more.  

I just ordered two fresh kits, which I will supplement with additional items.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 2:59:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By wildearp:

Also, I have one older kit that I needed to use last Friday.  Shit gets old and drys out and this is magnified in a vehicle first aid kit.  Nothing sticks any more.  

View Quote

Yeah, heat destroys medical supplies. Packaging, adhesives and fluids don’t last long in temps above 90. If you have a car kit, go through it once a quarter.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 4:48:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Disposable saline wound wash jets followed by iodine are my go to for cuts and boo boos. Even if a bunch of blood is running out of a wound, you can really see to the bottom of it and wash out the dirt with the saline jets. They break open with a tiny <1mm opening that shoots a hard jet of sterile solution. Good for cleaning it out before closing the wound.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:25:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By 56xdx_Z:
Disposable saline wound wash jets followed by iodine are my go to for cuts and boo boos. Even if a bunch of blood is running out of a wound, you can really see to the bottom of it and wash out the dirt with the saline jets. They break open with a tiny <1mm opening that shoots a hard jet of sterile solution. Good for cleaning it out before closing the wound.
View Quote

Funny you say that, I have some on order.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:39:25 PM EDT
[#11]
2 tourniquets, trauma shears,coban,ACE wrap, huge bottle of eye wash... gauze and lots of training
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:11:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I always see FAKs that are copies of what the military issues.

Reality is I have used my FAKs far more for things like low blood sugars, potential cardiac issues, dehydration, heat stroke, bites/stings and fall injuries.

Its critical to have the bleed kit, but there is the more mundane stuff that hits people every day in the civilian world.

I'm very interested in the thread.  I'm in the process of organizing the home main FAK.  The concept I am thinking about is a large rolling duffel bag with smaller labeled pouches with specific supplies and equipment inside.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:41:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for posting this information. I have inspect/rebuild my kits on the calendar for Friday, I'll be stepping back in a couple days.

I need to get back into a class, my WFR expired during the shut down and I haven't been in a course beyond the basic CPR class.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:28:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CouchCommando22] [#14]
I’m his is my home first aid kit. I designed this with the kids and the wife in mind. It is easy to see, laid out simple and the kids can easily get what they need and close it up. I don’t put too much in here and stock it as we use stuff. The bins were $5 each.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:47:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Always good for posting... Thanks...
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:52:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: buck19delta] [#16]
The purpose of this thread is to provide some information on medical supplies and specialty gear that could be of some use to some of you. I am by no means an expert. I do have some experience in the medical field, but I am no longer running EMS calls or treating patients daily. I started out as an EMT basic and then became an ACLS paramedic. I then joined the Navy and was an infantry Corpsman and did multiple combat deployments treating injuries on the battlefield. After leaving the military, I did armed security and provided medical care to patients in a very rural setting where I would have sit on the patient until the helicopter could land and hand off the patient.

With all that out of the way, I thought I would share some of the medical supplies I carry and the gear I use and the rational behind it.

Starting out, this is my aid kit I carry with me in my bag for work, bag for hiking and general use. This is NOT an individual first aid kit (IFAK) or a combat live savers (CLS) bag. I have other setups that fall into those categories, but this aid kit in more general purpose.

As you can see, it is larger than an IFAK, but smaller than a CLS bag. I put heavy emphasis on the things that I am more likely to use on both me and others. The first compartment completely opens flat and there are adhesive bandages of all sizes and flavors, anti-biotic ointment, medical tape, hydrocortisone cream, tegaderm, ace wraps, SAM splint, and other supplies. These are the supplies I use the most out of all medical supplies and the compartment I open the most. These supplies are often overlooked when creating and aid bag, but are actually used the most and need to be easily accessible.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/324355/IFAK_3_jpg-3188551.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/324355/IFAK_5_jpg-3188552.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/324355/IFAK_1_jpg-3188553.JPG

The next compartment contains more serious supplies that are for treating life-threating injuries or major injuries. The compartment opens in a about a 45-degree opening, not completely flat like I like, but the bag does stand up on its own, so it does work. In this compartment I have trauma shears, an Israeli bandage, CAT tourniquet, OPA, NPA, needle decompression needle, compressed gauze, two vented chest seals, burn dressing and small laceration kit. That is more than I wanted in this compartment, but I got carried away. The odds of me having to use these supplies, in my current capacity, in the environments I am in, are slim to none. This is not the bag I will grab if roll up on a traffic accident or there is a mass casualty incident. It just more an insurance policy if a life-threatening emergency were to happen close by.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/324355/IFAK_4_jpg-3188554.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/324355/IFAK_2_jpg-3188555.JPG

I will be posting more with other bags, supplies and gear. I wanted to start with this bag because it is very practical. Something that more people should have near their persons. However, all the best medical gear in the world means nothing if you don’t have the training to use it. If you haven’t already, take a first aid class, EMT-B class, and know how to do CPR. More to come and thanks for reading.
View Quote

Pretty cool !

I had to dig into a storage box a few days ago, I hadn’t been in for at least 7 years. Found 6 USGI ifaks, 3 cold steel SRKs, tactical gloves, surplus sig p226 holsters, a few dozen Israeli bandages, several Fiskcars axes, rolls of 550 cord, set of IBA armor, pistol mag pouches, dozens of  m16 mags, and a bunch of other cool shit. I got all that, plus much, much more via DRMO circa 2012-2014, stuff was coming thru in large numbers and cheap. I only paid like $20.00 each for the brand new, fully equipped ifaks ( Israeli bandage, tourniquet, med tape, and other items IIRC. 226 holsters $10.00 , $100 for full sleep system sets,  it was all very cheap vs current prices.

SCORE !

Iv really been wanting to get a us military combat medic bag, fully equipped, a local guy has them occasionally for around $500-700 bucks, but can never seem to have the funds as so many other projects happening I want more right now. I had a medic bag when I left active duty, my unit moved from Germany to ft Lewis, and in the process extra gear was everywhere, shit left behind in lockers by soldiers who left early, stuff in corners, supply filling dumpsters with leftovers, etc. the dumpster was especially a treasure chest.

It was simply amazing the amount and variety of shit that last week was sensitive items / tightly accounted for, but this week abandoned and being thrown away while cleaning the barracks for turn in. The unit equipment conexs had already shipped, as had vehicles, everyone’s bags were packed and busses coming and simply no room to put it. Only shit allowed to be left in the buildings were signed for furniture, desks, cabinets, and cleaning supplies. I couldn’t keep a mop, but noone cared if I carried out gas masks, medic bags, etc.

Anyway, via dumpster diving and searching wall lockers while cleaning the building to ready for turn in, I  found a wide variety of treasure, and 99% was like new or new with tags, aid bags, medic bags, cases of gas mask filters, gas masks, ponchos, hundreds of m16mags, cases of combat bandages, lbv load carrying gear, helmets, and much more . I mailed home quite a few big boxes filled with gear, mags, this and that in the few hours we were cleaning up waiting for busses to arrive the next day. my dad back home was bitching about all the boxes he had to lug up into the attic to store until I returned home a few years later.

But that was circa 1990, all of that stuff is long gone , either expired, or sold off between 1992-1998 to help pay bills when we were freshly married and expecting our first kid.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:07:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By buck19delta:

Pretty cool !

I had to dig into a storage box a few days ago, I hadn’t been in for at least 7 years. Found 6 USGI ifaks, 3 cold steel SRKs, tactical gloves, surplus sig p226 holsters, a few dozen Israeli bandages, several Fiskcars axes, rolls of 550 cord, set of IBA armor, pistol mag pouches, dozens of  m16 mags, and a bunch of other cool shit. I got all that, plus much, much more via DRMO circa 2012-2014, stuff was coming thru in large numbers and cheap. I only paid like $20.00 each for the brand new, fully equipped ifaks ( Israeli bandage, tourniquet, med tape, and other items IIRC. 226 holsters $10.00 , $100 for full sleep system sets,  it was all very cheap vs current prices.

SCORE !

Iv really been wanting to get a us military combat medic bag, fully equipped, a local guy has them occasionally for around $500-700 bucks, but can never seem to have the funds as so many other projects happening I want more right now.
View Quote

I have a couple of fully stocked bags. I was issued the Blackhawk STOMP II, but there are two aftermarket bags I have that I like more. The Tasmanian Tiger bags have really impressed me. The layout is very well thought out
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:14:41 AM EDT
[#18]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I don't suture in the field. I suture in a cleaner environment. I have a staple gun as well, but again, try to avoid in the field, so I don't put either in my field kits. The zip tie type of kits are good compromise.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/324355/28AC9B4C-EB01-4955-9AE1-B22FABF95D43_jpe-3188617.JPG

same

i had to use mine a few weeks ago when a little girl fell on a t-post and got about a 3" gash on the side of her knee.  the tape just barely stuck to anything and was hard as hell to unroll.  

have all new kits in all the vehicles now
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:16:04 AM EDT
[#19]
i also just picked up a kit from duration health to have prescription drugs on hand
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:20:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:25:51 AM EDT
[#21]
That's pretty awesome, thank you OP.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:33:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for posting this !!

Looking for something like this for my family.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:38:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:43:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Most people have no idea how to use 90% of what they carry.

I see a lot of bags with expired shit in it that is years old

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:04:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Crazyascanbe:

View Quote
Better to have it and not need it.  There is always a chance that someone will know how to use what you carry, and they may be using it on you.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:25:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Crazyascanbe:

View Quote

That is why I ended first post with explaining the importance of training.

Expiration dates are more of a sell by date. You need to visually inspect the condition of your supplies. When I was on the boat team, we were in the ocean almost daily. Saltwater is hell on gear. As a scout swimmer, I had to put all my med gear in waterproof bags, but water would eventually come into contact with the supplies at some point. It was vital to inspect you stuff doing PCC and PCI. The heat is just as rough on supplies to, especially packaging and adhesives
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:40:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 56xdx_Z] [#27]
good thread. Here is the kit I threw together for the larger outdoor/bug out pack. The bandage and tourniquet might be overkill, but extremities can get torn up pretty bad in  dog or bear maulings. The random popsickle sticks are for taping up a finger with a cut near the joint

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:06:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 2:25:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By buck19delta:

Pretty cool !

SCORE !

Iv really been wanting to get a us military combat medic bag, fully equipped, a local guy has them occasionally for around $500-700 bucks, but can never seem to have the funds as so many other projects happening I want more right now. I had a medic bag when I left active duty, my unit moved from Germany to ft Lewis, and in the process extra gear was everywhere, shit left behind in lockers by soldiers who left early, stuff in corners, supply filling dumpsters with leftovers, etc. the dumpster was especially a treasure chest.

It was simply amazing the amount and variety of shit that last week was sensitive items / tightly accounted for, but this week abandoned and being thrown away while cleaning the barracks for turn in. The unit equipment conexs had already shipped, as had vehicles, everyone’s bags were packed and busses coming and simply no room to put it. Only shit allowed to be left in the buildings were signed for furniture, desks, cabinets, and cleaning supplies. I couldn’t keep a mop, but noone cared if I carried out gas masks, medic bags, etc.

Anyway, via dumpster diving and searching wall lockers while cleaning the building to ready for turn in, I  found a wide variety of treasure, and 99% was like new or new with tags, aid bags, medic bags, cases of gas mask filters, gas masks, ponchos, hundreds of m16mags, cases of combat bandages, lbv load carrying gear, helmets, and much more . I mailed home quite a few big boxes filled with gear, mags, this and that in the few hours we were cleaning up waiting for busses to arrive the next day. my dad back home was bitching about all the boxes he had to lug up into the attic to store until I returned home a few years later.

But that was circa 1990, all of that stuff is long gone , either expired, or sold off between 1992-1998 to help pay bills when we were freshly married and expecting our first kid.
View Quote

I would buy an old IFAK from you, if you don't need it. Not worried about expiration of contents.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 2:40:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Primetime_1:
2 tourniquets, trauma shears,coban,ACE wrap, huge bottle of eye wash... gauze and lots of training
View Quote

Big +1 on the eye wash. Even wearing glasses, if you live in a high wind area you will use it often.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 2:46:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 7:47:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CouchCommando22] [#32]
This is my CLS bag. I went from the old style NAR hip bag to this little pack. This bag is small, really small. BLS only and about the same capacity as a hip bag. You can attach it to the back of a plate carrier in several ways, all the straps can be stowed away and just really well thought out. Can’t fit an IV bag in it, or at least a 1000 ml won’t fit. You can always attach an admin pouch and toss in a football.

This is great for the car, in tactical settings, whatever. If you are in EMS, this bag is too small. They make this same bag, but in 15L and 25L as well with a more room.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top