Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2020 10:22:19 AM EDT
Not sure if anyone has talked about it recently, or at all, but if you dry off a disposable razor after use, then submerge it in mineral oil (I use a solo cup with about an inch of oil in the bottom) the blades don't rust or go bad nearly as fast and stay sharp for a hella long time. As an example, using this method, I use 2-3 disposables per year, instead of 1-2 per week like normal.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 10:32:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I never heard of that before.  Thats a lot of extra shaves by using this method.  It should work for a DE razor too.  Do you keep it soaked in the mineral oil or just dip it in the mineral oil?
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 10:48:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I tried that years ago on  Mach III razors. It softened the strips on either side of the blades.  I think the blades did in fact stay sharper longer, but the loss of the strips led to only more "okay" shaves per cartridge.

DE is way better if you are trying to pinch pennies.
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 8:44:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I looked into this once. The issue isn’t that the blades get dull, it is that stuff like cut hairs, dead skin cells, soap, etc dries onto the blade and makes it seem dull. I used to store my DE safety razor in Razrguard between shaves, now I use baby oil.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 12:20:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mezcalfud] [#4]
I use a jar of Clean Shower after a shave and a de blade lasts months. It's the crap in the water that dulls blades.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top