Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2024 4:49:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jasoncar40]
It's looking like I'm going to have at least 2 deck projects this summer, so I'm starting to plan.

I think it's time to get a miter saw, partially b/c I've always wanted one vs just using a handheld circular saw.

What's everyone got? Would you buy the same one again or what is recommended?

I'm leaning towards a double bevel, slider but really open to all suggestions and options.

Edit: I will be staying with a corded saw for this.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 4:52:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I love my compound Dewalt. I’m firmly in the Milwaukee tool sphere of influence and if had to do it all over would give red a hard look.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 5:11:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Oldgold] [#2]
Get a 12” at least. Compound. I bought the HF one for a small job years ago.  It’s still kicking. Get a good blade. My son has a Kobalt and it’s been good. I refinished my pond dock with the HF last summer. I’ve used the heck out of it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 5:15:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Oldgold:
Get a 12” at least. Compound. I bought the HF one for a small job years ago.  It’s still kicking. Get a good blade. My son has a Kobalt and it’s been good. I refinished my pond dock with the HF last summer. I’ve used the heck out of it.
View Quote

100% this. I just sold my Ridgid 10" to help fund a 12". Stick with Diablo blades.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 5:18:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: giantpune] [#4]
Mines a hitachi with the green handle.  I went and played with every single one at every store I could find.  The hitachi had the best lockup mechanism for the common angles.   It does sliding and double bevel.  I've had it for like 6 years and put a lot of miles on it.  If I had replace it today, I would probably buy the same one.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 5:34:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a DeWalt but I’m getting ready to replace it with a Festool
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 5:35:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I had the occasion to use a 12" Hitachi, I was impressed, if I was going to purchase another saw I'd give that one serious thought.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 5:43:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Bosch compound saw.
Diablo blades.
I have a 10" and can cut a 4x4 if I rotate it.  Some people think the 10" is better than 12" as the blade does not deflect as much during a cut.
I heartily recommend Bosch.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 5:50:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HKaltwasser] [#8]
When it comes to saws, I usually stay with Dewalt and Hitachi, but I'm all in on my Kobalt 10" slider. I have the extendable table with it. I had a couple of Rigid miters before this and they are crap as far as I'm concerned. I usually do Bosch sanders and everything else Milwaukee.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 5:52:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Covertness:
View Quote

Those Festool's are nice and pricey. They do makes some good stuff, my old wok mate got free stuff from them all the time.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 6:02:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Covertness:
View Quote

I've heard great things about Festool, but even with my planned projects $1600 may be a bit over the top.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 11:19:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By jasoncar40:

I've heard great things about Festool, but even with my planned projects $1600 may be a bit over the top.
View Quote
I have a very old Taskforce.  Built decks, installed wood flooring, etc with this.  Cheap and effective.  Just upgraded the blade from factory and it was "fine".

Now that said, my projects have changed over the years and I really would like a Festool. :-).
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 12:33:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Tagged for interest.

I've done without one the entire time I've been amateur woodworking. Been looking at the Bosch 12" glide. Festool is of course nice, actually more than nice, but I'd rather sink that money into a Domino first (but it may be the Bosch version when Festool's patent expires). Anyone use the Bosch glide saw?
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 11:58:46 AM EDT
[#13]
I bought the Dewalt 12" sliding compound saw. It's great. Here's some criticism of it to help you compare:

I really only use the compound double mitre on crown molding. Most of my projects only need a single bevel.

Most of my projects don't need the full 12" cut plus slide, but when you do need it it's really nice to have.

My saw doesn't have a laser. I wish it did, just to save time lining up cuts.

Sometimes I need to hold the right side of the board and use my left hand to run the saw. The trigger is definitely made for right hand use. Maybe if I got better about making cuts upside down and backwards this wouldn't be a problem. I do wish the trigger was ambidextrous.

If I was buying a new saw today, I would look at a 10" non-sliding saw with laser light and ambidextrous switch. That saw would cut 99% of my projects; and save time, space, and money.

Link Posted: 2/8/2024 3:54:34 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a dewalt slider but I regret it because the arms stick out the back and keep me from sticking it near a wall. When I can I’m going to get a Festool. The Makita looked good too. I think it was a Makita. Compact.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 7:01:53 AM EDT
[#15]
One thing I’ll add:

On outdoor projects, I put mine on my tailgate. That way it can handle about anything and I have it right at my worksite. Also stack your wood near your worksite.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 4:11:07 PM EDT
[#16]
I appreciate everyone's opinions and comments!

Since space is not an issue and I'm not trying to hug it against a wall, I think I'll be buying a Dewalt DWS779 with the wheeled stand, and add the XPS work light (kerf shadow) to it. Will save me around $300-400 vs a Bosch (reconditioned or new).
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 6:49:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By ajroyer:
I bought the Dewalt 12" sliding compound saw. It's great. Here's some criticism of it to help you compare:

I really only use the compound double mitre on crown molding. Most of my projects only need a single bevel.

Most of my projects don't need the full 12" cut plus slide, but when you do need it it's really nice to have.

My saw doesn't have a laser. I wish it did, just to save time lining up cuts.

Sometimes I need to hold the right side of the board and use my left hand to run the saw. The trigger is definitely made for right hand use. Maybe if I got better about making cuts upside down and backwards this wouldn't be a problem. I do wish the trigger was ambidextrous.

If I was buying a new saw today, I would look at a 10" non-sliding saw with laser light and ambidextrous switch. That saw would cut 99% of my projects; and save time, space, and money.

View Quote
Mine did not have a laser, so I bought one of these from Amazon and it works great.  It clamps in next to the blade.
Wow that was a long url.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 4:36:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jerret_S] [#18]
You can buy, or atleast you used to be able to, the whole dewalt shadow light set. It's a new cover with switch a laser and something else. It only required I wire cut and was si.ple to add to my dewalt saw.

I bought my saw on sale and added the light for cheaper than buying the same saw with the light.

I have mine mounted on a bosch stand, it's awesome and I can cut very long boards with ease with it extended.

Things I don't like is even with the stand it's super heavy but it's also super stable.

I have a 10 inch craftsman slider miter saw and once folded up is easy enough to carry outside or wherever.

The dewalt 12 inch miter saw also takes a huge amount of room behind if you try to use the dust bag, which is essentially useless anyways, it takes lots of space. That's why it is on a stand.

Saw is very nice and accurate, adjusts easy, the blade light works great, and mounts on a stand that's not the same brand.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 5:21:50 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a Bosch 10" Glide. Chose it over the 12" as I didn't need the increased capacity and wanted to be able to lift this thing with a little more ease. I like that it requires no clearance room behind it when bench mounted in my shop. Cuts nice, moves smoothly. I spent some time adjusting it so that it locks up real positively but isn't too tight.

Most of the potential downsides of the unit are overcome when you aren't using it in a situation where someone else is abusing your tools every day. I'm super pleased with the purchase. Far more portable, even for how heavy it is, than the 12", 15 year old Milwaukee it replaced. In fairness, that Milwaukee saw work this one will never think about.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 5:44:01 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

I have a Kapex (festool). I'm looking for a box to send it back to Festool for fixing.
The table and fence are horrible, they are way out of line. You can't saw a square cut to save your life. You get different results if the board is longer than the fence than if your cutting just a small amount off either end.
The fence will have to be replaced or machined straight and the same with the table then the swivel in the center will have to be adjusted for height.

I'm scared to see how much they are going to want to fix it. I hate to sell it as bad as it is.

Other than the fence and table issues it works fine.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 6:55:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 9:12:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By DirtyDirk:

I have a Kapex (festool). I'm looking for a box to send it back to Festool for fixing.
The table and fence are horrible, they are way out of line. You can't saw a square cut to save your life. You get different results if the board is longer than the fence than if your cutting just a small amount off either end.
The fence will have to be replaced or machined straight and the same with the table then the swivel in the center will have to be adjusted for height.

I'm scared to see how much they are going to want to fix it. I hate to sell it as bad as it is.

View Quote

Trade you a dewalt.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 11:12:12 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Is it not under warranty? No way you noticed these issues after using it for the entire warranty period? Unless you bought it used?
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 5:21:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By A_G:

Is it not under warranty? No way you noticed these issues after using it for the entire warranty period? Unless you bought it used?
View Quote

Bought it new about 6 years ago. No more warranty. I used it for rough carpentry work for the first several of years. Nothing that mattered at all. Didn't notice how bad it was, as long as it cut 2 x 4's into shorter pieces it was good.
First noticed the problem about 2 years ago. Tried cutting some compound miters for a crown molding. Thats when I started looking at it closely and checking whats what.
Since then its sat in my basement unused as for anything fussy its no good.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 5:23:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:

Trade you a dewalt.
View Quote

I'd rather trade for some cash
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 12:42:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Just looked up my miter saw, it was $300 in 2020 and is now $400. It's a good saw though.
https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/LS1221
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:11:01 PM EDT
[#27]
If you don't need a slider (and you probably don't) you would be well served by the Dewalt DWS715 and this is from a guy who's not generally a big fan of Dewalt tools but its one of the few tools I would recommend from them. Its a solid, accurate and inexpensive option that will do 90-95% of DIY projects and leaves plenty of money left over (compared to top rated SCMS's) to buy a portable job site table saw as well and those 2 tools combined is a lot more useful than just a SCMS by itself.

But if you really need or want a slider then the choices gets harder (and a lot more expensive). For construction type use, cordless is really nice as you can set the saw up anywhere without have to worry about cords or outlets and if you get something like the Milwaukee 10" cordless SCMS, the weight isn't too bad which is important IMO for a tool you may be moving around or transporting.

I wouldn't recommend something like the Milwaukee for "fine woodworking" but most of the saws I would recommend are heavy as hell and not exactly what I would consider very mobile, especially if you have any stairs, hills or such to carry it up or down.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 10:24:41 AM EDT
[#28]
I just got a Makita LS1019L. Solid and powerful. My buddy has one and it's a beast. We did a Shadowline upgrade on his saw 2 months ago by replacing the laser with LEDs that shadow the blade location onto the wood. It's so accurate and Awesome. Makita puts it on their higher end saw but not on the LS1019L. The mod uses that same parts used on the higher end model with the exception of the power converter. That's just a small board that fits inside the housing. We did the same mod to my saw last night. It cost about $40 in parts but it's very much worth it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top