Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2024 4:54:04 PM EDT
Those cheap double half moon clamp boring bar holders don't inspire much confidence. I have been drilling and tapping them for set screws to work just like the much more expensive Aloris set screw type holders.

Be warned. The steel in these is heat treated so drilling and tapping requires care. I was still able to power tap the holes.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 10:06:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Are we supposed to know what those are or do?

Aside from hold bars...

What am I looking at?
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 10:15:39 AM EDT
[#2]
They appear to be (possibly BXA) quick change boring bar holders for use on a lathe.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 10:53:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By smullen:

Aside from hold bars...

What am I looking at?
View Quote

This is the metal working forum, so a few us are in the know.  

I just bought a couple cheap ones with supposed vibration dampenining.  A gimmick I suppose but I owned no boring bars so I bought a pair.  I have a holder for the large one but it just dawned on me the small one (8mm) may not fit even with the adapter.

My cut off holding tool is my janky chinese problem.   Poor fit of the tool to the holder.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 10:58:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Good job on that.  I wouldn't even attempt to tap the tool holders.

I've spent many an hour using a boring bar on a manual lathe.  Just something about seeing the chips rolling out, the smell and hearing the popping of the coolant quenching the cut.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 11:06:51 AM EDT
[#5]

Aside from hold bars...

What am I looking at?
View Quote

Yes. You are. Lol.

These are lathe tools for making holes with precision inside diameter, usually larger than can be done with twist drills.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 12:17:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Aside from hold bars...

What am I looking at?
View Quote

Phase II 250-304 and a Shars 250-341. Both are cheap boring bar holders from China.

They use a half moon type nut pulled up through the now unused holes in the top of the holder to clamp the bar in two spots.

There are really nice Aloris boring bar holders that use set screws, or my personal favorite, split clamping, but they cost nearly $150 each. I decided to turn these into set screw type holders. The Phase II was free and the Shars cost me $53 shipped.

Now I just need to buy a 3/4" bar holder and I'll do the same thing to it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 12:18:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By macloud:
They appear to be (possibly BXA) quick change boring bar holders for use on a lathe.
View Quote

CXA.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 5:21:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Turns out I can still use the hardened steel sleeves they gave me with the boring bar holder. I just tightened down the set screws I installed with the slot at 9:00. Seems extremely solid. I'll find out when I thread the chuck adapter I need to make once I get the feed gears working again.

The holder is 1". 3/4" with the sleeve.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 5:16:33 PM EDT
[#9]
More playing this morning.

3/8"
I was able to use set screws in this one.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

1/2"
This one the screws can easily reach so I milled a slot.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top