Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 4/25/2024 11:53:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Burnsy]
I have made a thread or two about it in the past but...I am still amazed after upgrading from my 2006 Chevy Colorado to my 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I am very aware of possible reliability issues with modern vehicles.  All the features, the bells and whistles that are not needed and that everything costs insane amounts of money in parts and labor to repair.  I am strictly talking in performance though.

My GC is the poor people Laredo version with the little 3.6L V6.   I am fully aware that it's a dog compared to any sort of actual performance car and even in comparison to the optional Hemi that can come in the same truck.  I get that now, 300hp is in everything that is boring and bland and is not at all special. That is not my message.

I am speaking in relativity to what a V6 would have or could have done 20 years ago. Holy fuck what a difference.  That thing moves that big ass SUV.  It is peppy and responsive in a way that I don't think big V8s even were back in the 80s and 90s.  I can feel that it's not at all working hard most of the time.  That it seems to have gobs of umph in reserve if you put the pedal down to jump into traffic or something.  It also gets gas mileage that would have been crazy for the amount of power it can make...not all that long ago.

Is it a sports car?  Of course not.  Is it fuckin impressive for it's weight and class of engine?  Maybe I am easy to please but it really is!

I feel like the proverbial cave man that has been time traveled into the modern age.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:57:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I was watching a transmission rebuild video on YT recently and thought the same thing.  Modern vehicle drivelines are pretty damn impressive.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:58:39 PM EDT
[#2]
That's just silly-talk.
Gasoline Engine technology PEAKED, utterly Dominated  with the LQ9, 6.0 liter LS around 2003 with 10.0 compression.
that motor, totally STOCK can stand 20 pounds of boost, will push 900 horsepower until you run out of money for TIRES.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:59:50 PM EDT
[#3]
It is amazing how far they've come in the past 20-30 years . It would be nice if the epa could back off now and let car makers build decent engines .
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:02:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I agree with OP.  A modern Honda Accord could beat most "performance" cars of the past, esp. handling and braking.

Fuel injection and VVT were game changers.

Time moves on.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:03:21 AM EDT
[#5]
I feel the same way about my wife's 2018 GC Trailhawk with the V6.  Incredibly quick and responsive.  I drove a 2020 Hemi Durango RT and that was  a slow pig compared to the GC.   It's slightly longer but the weight difference is relatively small.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:04:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought a 2019 Mazda CX-5.  Not only is the handling insane for a 4 door CUV, but I get an extra 23hp when I run premium through it (250hp vs 227hp)...the computer constantly runs the engine on the verge of knock, so it self-adjusts to octane.

I will say that I miss the security of carrying a few tools plus an extra rotor, condenser and fan belt to keep myself on the road should I have an issue.  I've had the electronic pickup go in an S-10 ignition, and all I could do is stare at it.  That happened on a Thanksgiving Day.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:07:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Positronic:
That's just silly-talk.
Gasoline Engine technology PEAKED, utterly Dominated  with the LQ9, 6.0 liter LS around 2003 with 10.0 compression.
that motor, totally STOCK can stand 20 pounds of boost, will push 900 horsepower until you run out of money for TIRES.
View Quote

That actually is correct . The utter simplicity , efficiency, and  smoothness of an ohv v8 is incontrifutable .
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:10:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BlackTaco] [#8]
Yes sir, they definitely are. Especially when Lexus decides to stuff a 500hp V8 in a 2022 sports sedan

Lexus IS500 RR Racing exhaust valves open

My buddy filming

2022 Lexus IS500 Launch Edition FLYBY!! Amazing RR Racing Bazooka Catback Valved Exhaust

The 992 911S can down gobs of power for a twin turbo 6, but sure doesn’t sound as cool
Engine technology is badass, 500hp and 27MPG on the 3hr drive to the track last month.
2020 Porsche (911) 992S Carrera S FLYBY!!!
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:10:50 AM EDT
[#9]

It's all good, until it isn't!  (AFAIK,  this is the back of the engine)
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:11:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By glock27bill:
I bought a 2019 Mazda CX-5.  Not only is the handling insane for a 4 door CUV, but I get an extra 23hp when I run premium through it (250hp vs 227hp)...the computer constantly runs the engine on the verge of knock, so it self-adjusts to octane.

I will say that I miss the security of carrying a few tools plus an extra rotor, condenser and fan belt to keep myself on the road should I have an issue.  I've had the electronic pickup go in an S-10 ignition, and all I could do is stare at it.  That happened on a Thanksgiving Day.
View Quote

CX-5 is legit.

We had 2017 that we loved but was totaled in a not at fault accident when my wife was driving.

Replaced it with a 2021 GT CX-5 that is a model refresh year. Even better than the 2017 we had.

There is NO WAY I'd want an older vehicle.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:11:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By 9D1Alpha:

That actually is correct . The utter simplicity , efficiency, and  smoothness of an ohv v8 is incontrifutable .
View Quote
They're pretty badass.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:14:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Burnsy] [#12]
Originally Posted By DriftPunch:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3561/Screenshot_20230720_144231_Firefox-2892517.jpg

View Quote
Holy....  Really?  No wonder they cost so much to fix.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:15:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Burnsy:
I have made a thread or two about it in the past but...I am still amazed after upgrading from my 2006 Chevy Colorado to my 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I am very aware of possible reliability issues with modern vehicles.  All the features, the bells and whistles that are not needed and that everything costs insane amounts of money in parts and labor to repair.  I am strictly talking in performance though.

My GC is the poor people Laredo version with the little 3.6L V6.   I am fully aware that it's a dog compared to any sort of actual performance car and even in comparison to the optional Hemi that can come in the same truck.  I get that now, 300hp is in everything that is boring and bland and is not at all special. That is not my message.

I am speaking in relativity to what a V6 would have or could have done 20 years ago. Holy fuck what a difference.  That thing moves that big ass SUV.  It is peppy and responsive in a way that I don't think big V8s even were back in the 80s and 90s.  I can feel that it's not at all working hard most of the time.  That it seems to have gobs of umph in reserve if you put the pedal down to jump into traffic or something.  It also gets gas mileage that would have been crazy for the amount of power it can make...not all that long ago.

Is it a sports car?  Of course not.  Is it fuckin impressive for it's weight and class of engine?  Maybe I am easy to please but it really is!

I feel like the proverbial cave man that has been time traveled into the modern age.

View Quote

Part of it is transmission technology as well. The new transmissions are fantastic and really get the most bang for your buck.

My wife used to own a KIA Sorrento. It had a 3.3 Liter V-6 and a 6-speed auto and that stupid thing got 26-30 MPG on road trips, fully loaded with the AC on. And it's a heavy AWD SUV.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:15:37 AM EDT
[#14]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3561/Screenshot_20230720_144231_Firefox-2892517.jpg

View Quote

Lemme guess - it's German.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:16:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9D1Alpha] [#15]
Originally Posted By MethaneMover:
They're pretty badass.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

They're pretty badass.

The only thing that could be better is a VR8 3-valve . One head and one exhaust manifold .

* the straight-8 died before ICE technology was mature
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:17:15 AM EDT
[#16]
That's just silly-talk.
View Quote

While impressive, we’re at the peak now. You really don’t think there haven’t been further advancements in over 20 years?!
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:18:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By djkest:

Part of it is transmission technology as well. The new transmissions are fantastic and really get the most bang for your buck.

My wife used to own a KIA Sorrento. It had a 3.3 Liter V-6 and a 6-speed auto and that stupid thing got 26-30 MPG on road trips, fully loaded with the AC on. And it's a heavy AWD SUV.
View Quote
The transmission in mine is an 8 speed.  My nephew drives a company owned 1/2 ton pickup which is a 10 speed.  Mine feels like it shifts pretty often but he said the 10 speed is basically never not shifting.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:18:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Lou_Daks:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lou_Daks:

Audi!
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:18:33 AM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

Mazda stepped up their game - the new CX9 sure is pretty damn nice!
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:19:52 AM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

Audi ?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:21:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MethaneMover] [#21]

The only thing that could be better is a VR8 3-valve . One head and one exhaust manifold .

View All Quotes

They're pretty badass.

Straight 8 is a really long block for a normal automobile.

Speaking of straight 8's, here's a Cat 3608 I was peekin at yesterday.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:22:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By SR-556:

While impressive, we’re at the peak now. You really don’t think there haven’t been further advancements in over 20 years?!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SR-556:
That's just silly-talk.

There have been advancements , but much of which hasn't improved durability or serviceability .
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:24:33 AM EDT
[#23]
I agree.

More impressive: That engine’s “tech” is old. That engine was introduced ten or so years ago- it’s not even direct injected,  which was becoming common at that time, or boosted which was starting to gain adoption in mid size vehicles at the time.

It’s long lived too- 200k easily with factory specified maintenance.

Very impressive power vs economy. I really just wish I could trade  some of the high end power for more off idle torque in my wrangler with a stick shift.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:24:54 AM EDT
[#24]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/145430/1000007570_jpg-3198081.JPG
View All Quotes

They're pretty badass.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/145430/1000007570_jpg-3198081.JPG

Why I mentioned a VR8 ....fold it back on itself . Barely longer than a 4 cylinder . The straight-8 died before they realized they needed more main bearings .
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:28:48 AM EDT
[#25]

Why I mentioned a VR8 ....fold it back on itself . Barely longer than a 4 cylinder . The straight-8 died before they realized they needed more main bearings .
View Quote
Gotta admit, didn't know what a VR8 was.  Looked it up, and it's a W.

I'd like to know how the industry's casting abilities and limitations steered engine design in the more formative years.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:38:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9D1Alpha] [#26]

I'd like to know how the industry's casting abilities and limitations steered engine design in the more formative years.
View All Quotes

No, the W is an abomination.  Look at half a w16 (one bank )

* the W is flatplane and they had to use balance shafts . Too many con-rods too close .

** the VR would be crossplane with no balance shafts and only one head .
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:05:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Inline-6 is perfectly balanced and doesn't need balance shafts. Too bad most companies have given up on the design. Inline-8s are not as balanced and are too long.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:09:17 AM EDT
[#28]
It's all fun and games until something needs to be serviced or repaired. Their maintainability sucks.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:35:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9D1Alpha] [#29]
Inline-6 is perfectly balanced and doesn't need balance shafts. Too bad most companies have given up on the design. Inline-8s are not as balanced and are too long.
View Quote

True . One based off LS architecture would be great .
* I have to disagree on inline-8s not being as balanced as inline-6s . They are just as balanced , but having more power strokes per revolution,  run smoother than inline-6s under load .  As for being too long and torsional vibration, just fold it on itself and it becomes a VR8 . Shorter than an inline-5 ( also smoother than most people think ) and inline-5s will fit transeversely for the weirs people.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:46:33 AM EDT
[#30]
View Quote
Stellantis and mazda have introduced all new inline 6 engines.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:56:29 AM EDT
[#31]
HUrricane I-6, twin turbo -510HP
https://www.thedrive.com/news/44900/why-stellantis-built-a-new-twin-turbo-i6-engine-on-the-eve-of-electrification

Originally Posted By Houstons_Problem:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:06:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Yes and no. GDI was a terrible move for automakers. They are somewhat better today with dual port injection, but you will likely have to change your injectors every 60-100k miles to maintain performance and gas mileage.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:10:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Szilagyi-hpg:
Yes and no. GDI was a terrible move for automakers. They are somewhat better today with dual port injection, but you will likely have to change your injectors every 60-100k miles to maintain performance and gas mileage.
View Quote

You combine GDI with AFM for  collapsed lifters
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:11:14 AM EDT
[#34]
My F-150 with a 2.7 l engine is the equivalent of 165 cubic inches.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:17:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Burnsy:

View Quote

We have the same SUV and tow a boat with it with zero issues. 21 mpg when not towing while hauling the kiddo around town. The 3.6 is a very competent daily driver. They used it in the 1500 as well.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:21:03 AM EDT
[#36]
The 3.6 in my minivan agrees. No it's not a V8 or anything, but it's not a dog by any means either.  Great throttle response, enough power, 25mpg.

I miss my V8 Dakota, but in terms of practicality, displacement vs HP, and "feel". That little 3.6 pentastar ain't too bad.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:23:29 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Rebel31:

CX-5 is legit.

We had 2017 that we loved but was totaled in a not at fault accident when my wife was driving.

Replaced it with a 2021 GT CX-5 that is a model refresh year. Even better than the 2017 we had.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rebel31:

CX-5 is legit.

I bought my 2021 CX5 GTR in October of 2021. The following June I took it out to Yellowstone and touring around Wyoming and South Dakota. Put 6k miles on it in two weeks without a problem. That car was made for road trips.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:23:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By anthem_of_the_mind:
I agree.

More impressive: That engine’s “tech” is old. That engine was introduced ten or so years ago- it’s not even direct injected,  which was becoming common at that time, or boosted which was starting to gain adoption in mid size vehicles at the time.

Very impressive power vs economy. I really just wish I could trade  some of the high end power for more off idle torque in my wrangler with a stick shift.
View Quote

What year Wrangler? Some of the recent Wrangler model years were programmed to have low torque at low rpm when they came with a manual. Something about the transmission or clutch not holding up, so Jeep cheaped out on the fix and just de-tuned the engine.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:24:50 AM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

Let me guess, Audi.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:35:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Our 2018 Dodge Durango has the 3.6L Pentastar V6. It has plenty of zip and on long trips we can get 26mpg. Been 100% reliable so far, too.

This vehicle replaced our 2003 Ford Explorer 4.0L V6 that we bought new. That vehicle had decent get up and go and the fuel economy was ok for a vehicle its size, but this Durango has bested it in every way.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:04:30 AM EDT
[#41]
View All Quotes

And Mercedes, and Land Rover, and GM if you're counting diesels.

Everyone is getting in on the straight six game.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:27:33 AM EDT
[#42]
Ahh, the pentaturd 3.6.  Enjoy oil leaks and valvetrain failure.

The peak for automotive engines was the early 2000s IMO.  After that they all became too complex with delicate valvetrain dependent, low tension oil rings and using turbos instead of displacement.   Sure the power wasn't as good, but an engine with just normal care could be expected to go 250k.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:30:22 AM EDT
[#43]
I like watching old Motor Week episodes where he talks about muscle/sports cars having like 190 hp
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:32:10 AM EDT
[#44]
The YouTube channel “I do cars.” Tears down engines to find out what went wrong.

The 300 Ford and. 5.9 Cummins were two of my favorite.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:40:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Burnsy] [#45]
Originally Posted By Tweek218:
I like watching old Motor Week episodes where he talks about muscle/sports cars having like 190 hp
View Quote
A few years ago I owned a 1987 Corvette with the L98.  Big ole 5.7L V8 under the hood that made like....220hp.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:45:45 AM EDT
[#46]
I'm almost always shocked when I get in modern half ton trucks. The power is effortless feeling and silent. They just kinda whoosh along.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:47:30 AM EDT
[#47]
That's just silly-talk.
View Quote

Truth here, hate they introduced dod to the 5.3L after 2006. If not for dod, the same could be said about the 6.2L. The LS3 has taken over as the new swap now vs 5.3/6.0.

My 06 Silverado is peak GM truck..
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:48:21 AM EDT
[#48]
i dont really care for the hydraulic lifters in my 22 cummins, mostly because its too fucking quiet...  even straight piped.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:50:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:56:17 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By vaughn4380:

What year Wrangler? Some of the recent Wrangler model years were programmed to have low torque at low rpm when they came with a manual. Something about the transmission or clutch not holding up, so Jeep cheaped out on the fix and just de-tuned the engine.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By vaughn4380:
Originally Posted By anthem_of_the_mind:
I agree.

Ah the Chrysler way, why build a better trans when you can hobble the engine for free.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top