Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:25:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Lots of 20-30 year old designs were crazy reliable. Not always powerful.

My favorite is the Nissan VG30. It has basically been used in some form from the late 70s or early 80s to ~2005. The one in my pickup made 145HP and 163ftlbs in 1986. The one in a 300zx twin turbo made roughly 300HP. Even in the 145hp application it still has a burly crank cradle. They have been known to be dead reliable even as high as 700HP. I've heard of, but not seen, 900-1000HP builds.

The later VG33 is basically the same engine with redesigned coolant passages for a larger displacement. Everything swaps over. I have VG30 headers and intake in a VG33. Even the cams swap over.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:28:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Laughs in EcoBoost cam phaser.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:29:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4FishLimit] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Burnsy:
Holy....  Really?  No wonder they cost so much to fix.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DriftPunch:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3561/Screenshot_20230720_144231_Firefox-2892517.jpg

It's all good, until it isn't!  (AFAIK,  this is the back of the engine)
Holy....  Really?  No wonder they cost so much to fix.

That’s definitely not the Pentastar 3.6 V6 that’s found in your Jeep.

We drove rental V6 Grand Cherokee a couple years back when we took a trip to Hershey Park and Gettysburg. I was actually pretty impressed with how it did.

Fuel economy and power wasn’t bad considering, but no where near what the ‘other’ Grand Cherokee V6 is capable of, especially with a flash tune:

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:32:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Honda K master race.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:34:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I am not doubting your experience, I am saying your experience is much less common than I think you think it is.  The actual data that we have to go on supports this.

You even as a member here likely suggests that you take care of your vehicles quite a lot better than the average city office worker or soccer mom who cares..a lot less about their vehicle than you do.  

The latter makes up the vast majority of car owners and you and I are the exceptions, not the average. By association, we are likely to be friends with like minded people.  So their experience is likely similar.

Clearly vehicles are capable of reaching these milestones, they obviously exist and I can't deny that they do.  The actual data though equally makes it obvious that the average vehicle is lucky to see 200K miles. That the average vehicle never makes it anywhere near 300K.  That the vehicles that do are not normal and are statistically quite exceptional.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MilHouse-556:

Rust, lack of maintenance/dumb owners, accidents etc.
There's no way a study like that can weed out all of that.

I'm going off the vehicles I've owned and people I know. Lots of 200k+ drivetrains out there from 15-25 years ago.
I am not doubting your experience, I am saying your experience is much less common than I think you think it is.  The actual data that we have to go on supports this.

You even as a member here likely suggests that you take care of your vehicles quite a lot better than the average city office worker or soccer mom who cares..a lot less about their vehicle than you do.  

The latter makes up the vast majority of car owners and you and I are the exceptions, not the average. By association, we are likely to be friends with like minded people.  So their experience is likely similar.

Clearly vehicles are capable of reaching these milestones, they obviously exist and I can't deny that they do.  The actual data though equally makes it obvious that the average vehicle is lucky to see 200K miles. That the average vehicle never makes it anywhere near 300K.  That the vehicles that do are not normal and are statistically quite exceptional.

like i posted earlier i had  3500 silverado 12ft flatbed go 335k miles as a work truck driven hard too oil pump fail killed it but it was known it was going out we drove work trucks til they died,

The second the 2500hd 8ft flatbed was at 330k and was solid no oil burn no leaks strong oil pressure etc never a check engine light trans replaced at 255k bad converter,radiator about 240k,i think rear pads changed too.oil changed at 7k miles with standard non syn oil.

Years ago i bought a toyota for reliability 94 4wd 3.0 v6 well it turned out everything but reliable burned valve at 60k and again at 100k.sold it bought an 89 3/4 ton burban square body took og engine to 245k replaced with a crate engine and upgrade cam ended up trading in a year later at most on my current 04 2500hd its at 264k and pretty solid just replaced typical wear items radiator at 240k waterpump 245k,knock sensor about same time,right side exhaust manifold 250k and ac last year.All these i could do myself.

My inlaws think were crazy for having vehicles over 150k they still think like old days i can replace or rebuild an engine for less than 2-3 current car payments,can maintain our vehicles still and trust them.wifes xterra is 248k she only drives 10 miles a day for work.newer stuff is nice but too much electronics and fuel management stuff  that kills them.New ls engines for example no way i would buy a 1500 truck with the afm lifters fail by 100k in alot of cases.I feel that the ls series i have is change of modern engine and the current is the same base with more add ons to fuck things up.Kinda like government simple it works fine try and ad more they fuck up LOL.

My commuter since i go from phx to so cal twice a month is a 2002 lancer with 225k my son owned it bought a new car i got this from him he maintained it really good runs solid and smooth new waterpump,timing belt,ac fluids changed often,new struts,new front control arms,etc ill dirve it til wheels fall off but it gets 32-35 mpg compared to trucks best of 14
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:37:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By anthem_of_the_mind:

The early 2000s were a hood balance point between tech, ease of service, and long term reliability. Stuff from this era got good mileage and power compared to the past, and we’re still very user serviceable. The machining tech was such that they lasted 250k+ On the regular.

2000s was The era of dynamic multi port electronic fuel injection, CAD engineering, new tech in sealing, OHC and aluminum heads.

Afterward came single or double variable valve timing, aluminum blocks, even better thermal management. All became normal 2010ish

Now we’ve added turbo/superchargers with wazoo boost management to eliminate lag, direct injection, and variable valve lift. I’m surprised we don’t have more e85 optimization now that almost everything is boosted.

View Quote

Early 2000s was intro of great modern engines with new tech that was still kept somewhat simple.today some use the same base but have computerized it so much for fuel milage and made them worse.Similar to current diesel engines
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:41:59 PM EDT
[#7]

The early 2000s were a hood balance point between tech, ease of service, and long term reliability. Stuff from this era got good mileage and power compared to the past, and we’re still very user serviceable. The machining tech was such that they lasted 250k+ On the regular.

2000s was The era of dynamic multi port electronic fuel injection, CAD engineering, new tech in sealing, OHC and aluminum heads.

Afterward came single or double variable valve timing, aluminum blocks, even better thermal management. All became normal 2010ish

Now we’ve added turbo/superchargers with wazoo boost management to eliminate lag, direct injection, and variable valve lift. I’m surprised we don’t have more e85 optimization now that almost everything is boosted.

View Quote

80s was aluminum heads. Japanese cars had aluminum heads in the 80s if not earlier.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:15:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By SnowMexican:
Honda K master race.
View Quote

Not familiar with them but know a lot of off road guys like the k24 and turboed they are making good power. I wanted simple so did j35 in my sandrail. Nice compact size makes great power and torque.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:18:00 PM EDT
[#9]
New cars are something alright.

Got a 9 year old BMW.  Runs like a scalded dog.  Over 300 hp.  Still gets 36 to 38 mpg on the interstate/road trips.  My first car, back in 1976 had about 80 hp and got 35 mpg on the highway.

We just got a 2024 Toyota Rav4 hybrid.  Took it to the mountains last weekend.  Forty one mpg going uphill and almost 43 coming back down.  Three adults and luggage/stuff stacked two high in parts of the luggage area.

It goes from gas, gas/electric/electric and you sometimes don't notice it unless you notice the green EV light coming on/off in the IP.   No gear shift feel with the CVT transmission which keeps the engine rpm constantly changing.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:20:37 PM EDT
[#10]
There were some extreme outliers from the likes of Toyota and Honda that were bulletproof in the 2000s, but I'm not sure all cars on average were more reliable back then.  Even if they were more reliable on average, the US wide vehicle fleet average MPG has gone from ~20 MPG in the mid 2000s to ~25 MPG today, and at $3/gal for gas, you can save $6k over 200k miles on fuel alone.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:41:50 PM EDT
[#11]
The same forces behind computers and tech used to make them more efficient and powerful are going to and have been used to snuff them out .
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:48:15 PM EDT
[#12]
i grew up when 3,000 mile tune ups(plugs/points/etc) were the norm along with an oil change.  And getting to 100,000 miles was something to celebrate(I think GM actually had a 100,000 mile club).  and don't start me on now many miles you got off a set of tires compared to today.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:54:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By djkest:
Inline-6 is perfectly balanced and doesn't need balance shafts. Too bad most companies have given up on the design. Inline-8s are not as balanced and are too long.
View Quote

Dodge just killed their V8s to move to inline 6s and GM has been offering an inline 6 diesel since like 2019. Plus the Cummins diesels. Inline 6s are making a comeback.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:56:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I watch I Do Cars on you tube a lot and it is mind boggling how much stuff comes off before you get down to the  block.  And pulling off the timing cover, what a complex casting they are, and the tolerances they must keep so everything aligns.  My hat is off to the guys who can design not just the part, but the machinery that makes the part
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:24:42 PM EDT
[#15]

What the hell is it? I about stronked trying to figure out what I'm looking at.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:33:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Corvette Z06 Naturally aspirated 5.5L, almost 700hp, that's impressive
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:33:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By vicrattlehead:
Laughs in EcoBoost cam phaser.
View Quote

Seems like there's a lot of RATATATATA in the parking lot at work these days. One coworker had his done twice before 100k.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:36:43 PM EDT
[#18]

BMW valvetronic. Interesting thing they did there.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:57:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: anthem_of_the_mind] [#19]
Originally Posted By Deerhurst:

80s was aluminum heads. Japanese cars had aluminum heads in the 80s if not earlier.
View Quote

Of course. I don’t mean when it was introduced, there were aluminum heads and OHC in the sixties. I mean widespread adoption indicating the tech is fully hashed out, like when it’s in 90%+ of normal cars.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:34:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By onthebreeze:

View Quote

BMW N63 "hot vee" twin turbo V8.

She's a lot sexier in BMW's glamour shots.

Attachment Attached File

Still a fucking nightmare though.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:49:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: castlebravo84] [#21]
Originally Posted By PhuzzyGnu:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69748/bmw-n63-overview-2_jpeg-3198846.JPG

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PhuzzyGnu:
Originally Posted By onthebreeze:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69748/bmw-n63-overview-2_jpeg-3198846.JPG

I wanted a 550i with the N63TU, but took one look under the hood and decided I didn't have the balls, bought a 340i with the B58 instead.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:05:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By vaughn4380:

What year Wrangler? Some of the recent Wrangler model years were programmed to have low torque at low rpm when they came with a manual. Something about the transmission or clutch not holding up, so Jeep cheaped out on the fix and just de-tuned the engine.
View Quote

...gonna be honest, nothing new there (and I have a family member that owns a Jeep dealership). Cool, yes. Fraught with issues? Also, profoundly, yes.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:08:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By ar15robert:

like i posted earlier i had  3500 silverado 12ft flatbed go 335k miles as a work truck driven hard too oil pump fail killed it but it was known it was going out we drove work trucks til they died,

The second the 2500hd 8ft flatbed was at 330k and was solid no oil burn no leaks strong oil pressure etc never a check engine light trans replaced at 255k bad converter,radiator about 240k,i think rear pads changed too.oil changed at 7k miles with standard non syn oil.

Years ago i bought a toyota for reliability 94 4wd 3.0 v6 well it turned out everything but reliable burned valve at 60k and again at 100k.sold it bought an 89 3/4 ton burban square body took og engine to 245k replaced with a crate engine and upgrade cam ended up trading in a year later at most on my current 04 2500hd its at 264k and pretty solid just replaced typical wear items radiator at 240k waterpump 245k,knock sensor about same time,right side exhaust manifold 250k and ac last year.All these i could do myself.

My inlaws think were crazy for having vehicles over 150k they still think like old days i can replace or rebuild an engine for less than 2-3 current car payments,can maintain our vehicles still and trust them.wifes xterra is 248k she only drives 10 miles a day for work.newer stuff is nice but too much electronics and fuel management stuff  that kills them.New ls engines for example no way i would buy a 1500 truck with the afm lifters fail by 100k in alot of cases.I feel that the ls series i have is change of modern engine and the current is the same base with more add ons to fuck things up.Kinda like government simple it works fine try and ad more they fuck up LOL.

My commuter since i go from phx to so cal twice a month is a 2002 lancer with 225k my son owned it bought a new car i got this from him he maintained it really good runs solid and smooth new waterpump,timing belt,ac fluids changed often,new struts,new front control arms,etc ill dirve it til wheels fall off but it gets 32-35 mpg compared to trucks best of 14
View Quote

Be kind to yourself and take a breath once in a while.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:08:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Butternut] [#24]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:13:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By IPB:
So the workhorse Ford 300L inline 6 producing 220 RWHP has been replaced by Ford for the 2.7L V6 producing 300 RWHP
Half the weight, half the fuel consumption. 35% increase in HP. It's also apparently very very reliable, even solving the oil starvation issues turbo engines suffer from after oil changes.
Interesting times.
View Quote

When the fuck did the 300 ever make 220whp?  That wheezing piece of shit was lucky to make 150hp at the crank.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:21:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By SR-556:

While impressive, we’re at the peak now. You really don’t think there haven’t been further advancements in over 20 years?!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SR-556:
Originally Posted By Positronic:
That's just silly-talk.
Gasoline Engine technology PEAKED, utterly Dominated  with the LQ9, 6.0 liter LS around 2003 with 10.0 compression.
that motor, totally STOCK can stand 20 pounds of boost, will push 900 horsepower until you run out of money for TIRES.

While impressive, we’re at the peak now. You really don’t think there haven’t been further advancements in over 20 years?!

I don’t.  I think we’ve regressed.

The 5.3L so the same era was also peak GM engineering.  Today you cannot get one without DFM which alongside it predecessor, AFM, is a huge step backwards.

The 4.0L Toyota V6 in the 4Runner and Tacoma, which was released about the same time, is absolutely bullet proof.  It’s been phased out of the Tacoma for years now and is about to be replaced in the 4Runner with a turbo 4cyl.

The 5.7L V8s in the Tundra and Sequoia have now been replaced with a turbo V6.

The list is endless.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:38:47 PM EDT
[#27]
That's just silly-talk.
Gasoline Engine technology PEAKED, utterly Dominated  with the LQ9, 6.0 liter LS around 2003 with 10.0 compression.
that motor, totally STOCK can stand 20 pounds of boost, will push 900 horsepower until you run out of money for TIRES.
View Quote

No.

It did not peak at that. It is not even close.

The last generation of WW2 era piston engine airplane engines that were in testing and getting ready for production are, IMO, still the most advanced piston engines that ever reached that stage.

We have made some strides and materials nowadays can be better but regarding the whole package, no. We have too many restrictions by bureacracies and etc on our new engines.

Those guys were even using the excess heat energy from the cooling systems to provide thrust; full water injection setups, superchargers combined with blow down style turbos that use the velocity energy of the exhaust to drive a gear putting power to the driveshaft, and had fuel injection systems that were pretty darn competent and legions more robust than what we get in production.

Just one of the WW2 era chryco hemis pulled a bomber as fast as four of the old radials had, and that engine was in prototype phase.

Rolls royce had an equally technologically impressive engine in prototype as well.

Jets came in and made all that utterly irrelevant to the military and that hard push on piston engine development stopped cold.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:45:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By ar15robert:

Not familiar with them but know a lot of off road guys like the k24 and turboed they are making good power. I wanted simple so did j35 in my sandrail. Nice compact size makes great power and torque.
View Quote

The K rules the 4 cylinder world, and often beyond.

7-Second Camaro SS vs Sleeper EG Civic // THIS vs THAT

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:51:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DayandNight1701] [#29]
That's just silly-talk.
View Quote

You watch too many enthusiast YouTube channels.

There are a few guys that run "stock blocks" but what I've gathered, they're literally running...just a stock block....with forged everything, different rods, pistons, crank, etc..the top end is completely aftermarket.  The FI is always highly modified replaced.

Drag racing logic is weird.

"It's stock"

..eh, no..it's not.

If you boost a stock L(x) whatever 20psi, it doesn't live long.  I'm not sure where this nonsense started.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:05:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LeadBreakfast] [#30]
Originally Posted By SnowMexican:

The K rules the 4 cylinder world, and often beyond.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Xad-q56Fss
View Quote

I always laughed at people that trash talked well-desiged 4 cylinders as a viable power platform. The 4 cyl all motor street cars that I had would walk their v6s but that was a tough pill to swallow.

Now that said, do I want a 4cyl turbo truck? Nope. Give me a (less stressed) v8 thank you very much. Now I don't even own a 4cyl.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:12:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By BlackTaco:
Yes sir, they definitely are. Especially when Lexus decides to stuff a 500hp V8 in a 2022 sports sedan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP19Q-5D5Wk

My buddy filming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwmLKg03-Gw

The 992 911S can down gobs of power for a twin turbo 6, but sure doesn’t sound as cool
Engine technology is badass, 500hp and 27MPG on the 3hr drive to the track last month.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDWVeqJK7IU
View Quote
Vertical video. Ask yor buddy if his TV is tall or sits horizontally like his eyes.  Maybe then he will figure how to how to hold the smartphone when recording!
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:18:26 PM EDT
[#32]

Link?
I gots ta know
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By vaughn4380:

What year Wrangler? Some of the recent Wrangler model years were programmed to have low torque at low rpm when they came with a manual. Something about the transmission or clutch not holding up, so Jeep cheaped out on the fix and just de-tuned the engine.

Link?
I gots ta know

One of many threads across the internet: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/weak-throttle-response-on-manual-transmission-models.71976/
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:02:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9D1Alpha] [#33]
When marveling where we are it's good to see where things started .

Buick OHV in-line eight engine family

Even better than the inline or v8 ;

The Tiniest V8 Engine That Nearly Nobody Used

Check out the lack of main bearings and low CR

The aspect of smoothness arises from a similar situation as the inline-6 or vr6 , end rock countered in the other half segment . The inline-8 and vr8 are crossplanes . The 8 is smoother because it has more power pulses than the 6 in 720° . It can also have a lighter crank than the v8 because the forces are acting on the same plane as the rocking moment . Then there is one head , one exhaust manifold,  and shorter , stiffer crank than a 6 .
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:14:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Did engines from 20 years ago regularly reach 200-300K miles?  
View Quote

Yes. Many of the good ones did so easily.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:27:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By slowr1der:

View All Quotes

I had about three Ford 3.8 90° sixes hit 300-350k miles . They weren't considered the best engines or even smooth but they were relatively low stressed . Low redline,  low CR , 2.79-3.28 rear gearing .
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:30:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alien] [#36]
I have made a thread or two about it in the past but...I am still amazed after upgrading from my 2006 Chevy Colorado to my 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I am very aware of possible reliability issues with modern vehicles.  All the features, the bells and whistles that are not needed and that everything costs insane amounts of money in parts and labor to repair.  I am strictly talking in performance though.

My GC is the poor people Laredo version with the little 3.6L V6.   I am fully aware that it's a dog compared to any sort of actual performance car and even in comparison to the optional Hemi that can come in the same truck.  I get that now, 300hp is in everything that is boring and bland and is not at all special. That is not my message.

I am speaking in relativity to what a V6 would have or could have done 20 years ago. Holy fuck what a difference.  That thing moves that big ass SUV.  It is peppy and responsive in a way that I don't think big V8s even were back in the 80s and 90s.  I can feel that it's not at all working hard most of the time.  That it seems to have gobs of umph in reserve if you put the pedal down to jump into traffic or something.  It also gets gas mileage that would have been crazy for the amount of power it can make...not all that long ago.

Is it a sports car?  Of course not.  Is it fuckin impressive for it's weight and class of engine?  Maybe I am easy to please but it really is!

I feel like the proverbial cave man that has been time traveled into the modern age.

View Quote
It is pretty crazy. My 2014 V6 Xterra kicks the ever loving shit out of my old 2000 V6 Mustang and gets better gas mileage.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:34:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By 9D1Alpha:

I had about three Ford 3.8 90  sixes hit 300-350k miles . They weren't considered the best engines or even smooth but they were relatively low stressed . Low redline,  low CR , 2.79-3.28 rear gearing .
View All Quotes

I had about three Ford 3.8 90  sixes hit 300-350k miles . They weren't considered the best engines or even smooth but they were relatively low stressed . Low redline,  low CR , 2.79-3.28 rear gearing .
Not an inline, but my 2000 V6 Mustang engine blew a head gasket around 125k miles.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:37:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9D1Alpha] [#38]
Originally Posted By Alien:
It is pretty crazy. My 2014 V6 Xterra kicks the ever loving shit out of my old 2000 V6 Mustang and gets better gas mileage.
View All Quotes
I have made a thread or two about it in the past but...I am still amazed after upgrading from my 2006 Chevy Colorado to my 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I am very aware of possible reliability issues with modern vehicles.  All the features, the bells and whistles that are not needed and that everything costs insane amounts of money in parts and labor to repair.  I am strictly talking in performance though.

My GC is the poor people Laredo version with the little 3.6L V6.   I am fully aware that it's a dog compared to any sort of actual performance car and even in comparison to the optional Hemi that can come in the same truck.  I get that now, 300hp is in everything that is boring and bland and is not at all special. That is not my message.

I am speaking in relativity to what a V6 would have or could have done 20 years ago. Holy fuck what a difference.  That thing moves that big ass SUV.  It is peppy and responsive in a way that I don't think big V8s even were back in the 80s and 90s.  I can feel that it's not at all working hard most of the time.  That it seems to have gobs of umph in reserve if you put the pedal down to jump into traffic or something.  It also gets gas mileage that would have been crazy for the amount of power it can make...not all that long ago.

Is it a sports car?  Of course not.  Is it fuckin impressive for it's weight and class of engine?  Maybe I am easy to please but it really is!

I feel like the proverbial cave man that has been time traveled into the modern age.

The big thing is that compression ratios have gone to 10-12 vs 8.5-9.5 of twenty years ago ...and vvt ...better breathing heads ...

* the 4.3 chevy LV1/3 ; 285hp -305ft/lb ....11:1 cr and vvt
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:40:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9D1Alpha] [#39]
Not an inline, but my 2000 V6 Mustang engine blew a head gasket around 125k miles.
View All Quotes

Aluminum heads and iron block always made that a tricky deal .
* the Ford 3.8 was initially planned to have an aluminum block too

** and while not an inline they still had pretty good potential being cross-flow
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 1:58:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BlackTaco] [#40]
Originally Posted By TowerIQ:
Vertical video. Ask yor buddy if his TV is tall or sits horizontally like his eyes.  Maybe then he will figure how to how to hold the smartphone when recording!
View Quote

Lol, that’s funny, he is 51 yrs old!

Pretty sure most of my videos are that way, I’ll have to remember your tip 😆
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 2:31:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Truck?
The Cherokee hasn't been body on frame since the 80s.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 2:49:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Straight 8 car engines had short lives because of torsion twisting of that long crankshaft.  There probably were some harmonics involved in this too.

Car engines have to operate over a wide range of rpm and this is a problem for straight 8 engines.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:48:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Garik] [#43]
Originally Posted By M1A4ME:
New cars are something alright.

Got a 9 year old BMW.  Runs like a scalded dog.  Over 300 hp.  Still gets 36 to 38 mpg on the interstate/road trips.  My first car, back in 1976 had about 80 hp and got 35 mpg on the highway.

We just got a 2024 Toyota Rav4 hybrid.  Took it to the mountains last weekend.  Forty one mpg going uphill and almost 43 coming back down.  Three adults and luggage/stuff stacked two high in parts of the luggage area.

It goes from gas, gas/electric/electric and you sometimes don't notice it unless you notice the green EV light coming on/off in the IP.   No gear shift feel with the CVT transmission which keeps the engine rpm constantly changing.

View Quote

You have an eCVT, not a true CVT. Its a planetary gearset powered by an electrical motor. A CVT uses pulleys, they are fine (until they aren't) with low to moderate torque. Pain to work on.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:13:13 AM EDT
[#44]
A fuel injected minivan will outrun most of the 70's stock vettes and other cars of that era.
I love the classics but a stock GT mustang can be had that runs on crappy pump gas just under 500HP , Shelby is 750 HP and has AC and a nice stereo with a warranty.

My 1991 Chevy 3/4 ton truck had a 350 and was around 200 HP and sucked gas.
2016 F150 4X4  3.5 V6 NON-Turbo stock is just under 300 HP and averages 22 MPG.

Tech comes at a cost , I just changed #3 coil pack on my daughters Escape.
Tech costs more to build and maintain than a rotor , cap , plugs , points , condenser , wires , etc.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:35:52 AM EDT
[#45]
That's just silly-talk.
View Quote

I think you meant the 6.2L LS3, but still the same family.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:48:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By JKH62:

Tech comes at a cost , I just changed #3 coil pack on my daughters Escape.
Tech costs more to build and maintain than a rotor , cap , plugs , points , condenser , wires , etc.
View Quote

Changed the starter on a '71 Pontiac once in below zero weather, all I needed to do it was 11/32 nut driver for one nut, 5/8 socket for the battery cable on the solenoid and a 9/16 socket for the 2 bolts to hold the starter itself. After disconnecting the battery of course.
A 5 minute job, even in below zero weather.
I just changed the starter on a N52 BMW, have to pull the intake.
Miserable job even in 50 degree weather not to mention below zero weather.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:51:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By ZuoZongtang:
The YouTube channel "I do cars." Tears down engines to find out what went wrong.

The 300 Ford and. 5.9 Cummins were two of my favorite.
View Quote
Love that channel.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:54:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By DriftPunch:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3561/Screenshot_20230720_144231_Firefox-2892517.jpg

It's all good, until it isn't!  (AFAIK,  this is the back of the engine)
View Quote
That looks like it was suffering from some chronic under-oiling based on the burnt color of the castings.
No wonder they're changing all the timing chains and guides. If people would just change their damn oil ...
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:55:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By 72Harley:

I bought my 2021 CX5 GTR in October of 2021. The following June I took it out to Yellowstone and touring around Wyoming and South Dakota. Put 6k miles on it in two weeks without a problem. That car was made for road trips.
View Quote

I gave my '19 CX5 to my son and got a CX50 with the turbo.  I am a huge fan of Mazda products.  My dad just go a 24 CX5 and love it.  He came over from a Chevy Equinox which is a dog POS.  

The 2.5 Turbo engine is a great one.   I normally have 89-93 in it and it only gets 87 if my wife puts gas in it.  I like the added HP when I drive it.  

The metric for a performance motor has always been 100hp per liter.  The 2.5T gets that.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:56:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By JHMC79:

The 4.0L Toyota V6 in the 4Runner and Tacoma, which was released about the same time, is absolutely bullet proof.  It's been phased out of the Tacoma for years now and is about to be replaced in the 4Runner with a turbo 4cyl.

The 5.7L V8s in the Tundra and Sequoia have now been replaced with a turbo V6.

The list is endless.
View Quote

The 1GR-FE was pretty solid once the head gasket redesign came in. Prior to 2008, failure before 100k wasn't uncommon. For a number of years people shat all over this engine, tho the failures were never universal, it was poorly designed. Otherwise beyond the air injection pump issues and the knocking problems that could lead to damage (eventually fixed by a ECU revision detuning), it's better than most. FWIW I've had less issues with the 2GR-FKS I've also owned - tho fuel pumps seemed an issue during one run.

The 3UR-FE - your cam tower seals are gonna leak and they'll need to be fixed. With oil consumption makes it important to check oil level regularly. PCV has some issues as well.  It isn't uncommon for the water pump to take a dump, often within warranty period.

I've had a fair number of both, and have experienced all prior to cycling them out @200-250k.  My guys normally get good service from them for a good time after, many still have them. So they'll do well if you take care of them.

Overall I've had the best luck with 2UR-FE 4.7L. Maybe it's the dimness of recollection/randomness favoring, but I don't recall any major issues. The ones I've driven personally have gone well past 200k w/o much beyond normal maintenance. Tho I did water pumps every t-belt service and starters every other. Also have a very good management program which I think maintains the vehicles to higher level than many. Sell the vehicles to the drivers for a nominal fee net, as a reward for employment longevity and keeping the trucks in good condition. If guys know they will get the truck, they take better care, mostly.  

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top