Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/29/2024 7:18:12 PM EDT
Just started watching it again on Youtube. Brings back childhood memories watching it when it was new. Half the time you dont know if Robin is follwong the script or going off on his own.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:19:00 PM EDT
[#1]
That guy was talented AF.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:21:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Nanoo Nanoo
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:21:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RIP-Yataski] [#3]
Nanoo! Nanoo!...

ETA: Beat...
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:21:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Cocaine and ADHD what a tornado he was.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:22:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I bet coke was a hell of a drug.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:25:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Mork was an illegal alien.
The liberal idiot father allowed Mork to move in with his daughter.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:29:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -Kyuss-] [#7]
He dead.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:31:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Mork, do you have a frog in your throat?

No, I have John Wayne in throat and a frog in my pocket.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:32:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cancard:
That guy was talented high AF in the seventies.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:32:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Don’t think I’ve seen it again since the 80s

I remember he was on Happy Days too
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:39:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I guess Robin would improv off script so much that the other actors had a hard time getting their cues.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:39:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Rob940:
Just started watching it again on Youtube. Brings back childhood memories watching it when it was new. Half the time you dont know if Robin is follwong the script or going off on his own.
View Quote

According to some of the interviews it was both and often spurred on by coke.  I can't recall reading about Jonathan Winters using coke but he was known to go off-script too.  Both were very talented comics and you could tell a lot of times when other cast members would start cracking up from their antics.  Pam Dawber was a hottie back then too.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:41:44 PM EDT
[#13]
That Goddamned show is what started bringing the Californian assholes to Colorado, and then they just never went home
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:41:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Shazbat!
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:41:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I used to watch the show in syndication late night on Nickolodeon. Nick at Night would show old shows like Mork and Mindy in the 90s.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:46:58 PM EDT
[#16]
It was ok. Was always partial to Alf. (I think it was in the same time period.)
No cat eating.
No dryer rides.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:48:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By cyclone:
Shazbat!
View Quote

Que?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:49:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Where it all started...
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:50:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: flyhack72] [#19]
Originally Posted By CarmelBytheSea:

View Quote

Mork and Mindy was a Happy Days spinoff.

Christopher Durang wrote a piece for Carol Burnett and Robin Williams called Funeral Parlor.

They performed it three times back to back to back for TV recording.  The first time it was pretty much line by line as Durang wrote it.  The second time he used the script as a framework but ad-libbed about half of it.  Funny as hell.  The third version he went full send and you could hardly see any parallels between the script and his improv work.

He was way out there, man.  Very impressive.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:52:23 PM EDT
[#20]
It was a great stress reliever; most of my class gathered to watch it when I was in Nuke School.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:56:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By sandboxmedic:

According to some of the interviews it was both and often spurred on by coke.  I can't recall reading about Jonathan Winters using coke but he was known to go off-script too.  Both were very talented comics and you could tell a lot of times when other cast members would start cracking up from their antics.  Pam Dawber was a hottie back then too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

In one interview, Johnathan Winters stopped just short of saying that Robin Williams was doing coke quite often when they were doing the series together.

Originally Posted By CarmelBytheSea:

The Mork character was first introduced on Happy Days.  He had a duel with Fonzie, then time traveled forward from the 1950s to the period of the Mork and Mindy show.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:05:50 PM EDT
[#22]
I drove past their house yesterday, but didn't see the Jeep in the driveway.

But they're doing well, I suppose, at least in terms of home equity.  Zillow puts it at $3.1M.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:06:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By NVCapCop:
Where it all started...
View Quote

Heeeeeyyyy...
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:11:33 PM EDT
[#24]
I was there when it came on. Didn't care for it or Laverne and Shirley.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:12:42 PM EDT
[#25]
View Quote

He was going off....on coke.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:20:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Williams admitted he didn't remember much of the show because he was coked out of his mind during that time in his life.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:34:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Mork: "Why do they call it 'rush hour' when nothing moves?"
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:36:23 PM EDT
[#28]
First and last time I ever saw my father laugh is watching that show. Imagine be 80 yrs and not laughing since to late 70s ?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:43:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Number_Six:
Mork was an illegal alien.
The liberal idiot father allowed Mork to move in with his daughter.
View Quote

he was going to go register but they stopped him.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:45:30 PM EDT
[#30]

View All Quotes

Jonathan Winters ruined the show! He was Robins idol, so he had him written into the script. Was all downhill from there, and I stopped tuning in at that point.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:46:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DKUltra] [#31]
Originally Posted By mrmissem:
It was ok. Was always partial to Alf. (I think it was in the same time period.)
No cat eating.
No dryer rides.
View Quote
Alf was way later (86-90)

Mork n Mindy  (78-82)
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:48:04 PM EDT
[#32]
I had a big crush on Pam Dawber way back then.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:48:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:53:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Simple times, fun cars, cute girls...
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:56:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By FrogWater:
View Quote

Mark Harmon has been married to actress Pam Dawber since March 21, 1987.

Lucky bastard.

Mmmm.... Girls in flannel.... Before the dykes took it over.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:59:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By DKUltra:
Jonathan Winters ruined the show! He was Robins idol, so he had him written into the script. Was all downhill from there, and I stopped tuning in at that point.
View Quote
Jonathan Winters on that show always felt like Joe in the Three Stooges. You really wanted him to be funny, but it never really worked out.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:04:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Cincinnatus:
The World According to Garp
View Quote
Biting off the dudes dick when he rear ends the car is about the only thing I remember from that movie.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:06:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Mork as a preacher:

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:14:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Alf was way later (86-90)

Mork n Mindy  (78-82)
View Quote

Ah,ok. Thanks. Could not remember.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:16:12 PM EDT
[#40]
"Woman seated next to me asked me to hold her seat. So I.."
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:18:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Now the theme song is going to be stuck in my head all night.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:25:45 PM EDT
[#42]
IIRC, When Mork asked about Christmas, I rolled my eyes thinking Mindy was going to say something about presents and Santa.  When she actually talked about the birth of Jesus, the show went up in my opinion somewhat.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:27:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By DADGAD:
Biting off the dudes dick when he rear ends the car is about the only thing I remember from that movie.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DADGAD:
Originally Posted By Cincinnatus:
The World According to Garp
And the "Now we'll be safe" after the airplane crashed into the house.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:42:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By jos51700:
That Goddamned show is what started bringing the Californian assholes to Colorado, and then they just never went home
View Quote

No, no, no.

In the 70’s the granola eating, greasy haired, non crotch or pit shaving Coloradans packed up their wheat germ, hopped in their VW buses and headed off to LA to find the Clampets in Beverly Hills. They infested California, not vice versa.  I have proof.  John Denver started singing about the Colorado Rocky Mountain High way before he died off the coast of California.

Now, Californians returning to Colorado is really just a homecoming of sorts.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:02:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By -Kyuss-:
He dead.
View Quote

That's just what he wants you to think.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:14:11 PM EDT
[#46]
(someone) & MINDY

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:19:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 50cal] [#47]
I don't think I laughed as hard or consistently at something as the Mork & Mindy show. Even my dad laughed hard at that show. And he was one of those types that only watched NBA basketball games and Hee Haw.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:12:56 AM EDT
[#48]
View All Quotes

Agreed.  He had some funny parts but overall it just wasn't the same.  Most comedies, heck most shows, have pretty short life spans before they start getting stale.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 5:39:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By FrogWater:
View Quote
Who didn't?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top