Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2024 8:58:24 AM EDT
I am looking to create a parking area in the grass next to the house.

It will be for a travel trailer that weighs 3500 lbs

What is the best way to create a pad for it?

"geo-grid" With grass?

Gravel?

Is it always necessary to put gravel under geo-grid?

I have never been involved in a project like this, so any advice is appreciated
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:09:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Whatever you do, make sure it cannot allow moisture from the ground to get thru it.  Parking a camper over a moist ground will accelerate rusting and crap.  That's why we park ours on our "paved" driveway.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:11:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Paved would be best. Or you can scarf off the sod and topsoil, put road fabric down and fill with gravel. Still will allow the trailer to rot, but not as fast as grass or bare dirt.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:27:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I would definitely go with a moisture/weed barrier at the bottom, then whatever gravel you put down, I'd rent one of those compactors that looks like an old mower with a flat bottom.  Run that around and compact the base for 45 mins or so, then see if you need to add more gravel and compact a 2nd time.  

I have a friend that owns a fairly large Lawn, Landscaping and Outdoor business, this is what he did for me at my last house for parking my 17' Travel trailer, my dual bunk Wave runner trailer and my 12' utility trailer.

I have since moved and I do not have the same parking setup, I do miss it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:46:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I have had a travel trailer parked on simple gravel for three years now (in between trips obviously) with no rust concerns. This is in Montana though....
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 10:11:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#5]

Link Posted: 4/1/2024 12:28:43 PM EDT
[#6]
just put down a few pavers where the tires and hitch are going to end up.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 2:06:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: K1rodeoboater] [#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cschaeff:
View Quote
This is the cheapest option.  Though if it's gonna sit for long periods of time getting it off it's wheels would be advisable
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 10:35:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By cschaeff:
View Quote

This is all I have done for years. I just have some pavers  where the tired are, and my land gear are on the edge of the gravel driveway
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 5:31:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Back in the late 80's my friend installed these large pavers that had holes in them, for a parking pad.
They were about 16" square and looked like a grid.  From the ad he showed me, they were used around buildings anyplace a vehicle would have to park.
The grass would grow within the cells, and it masked the look of the pavers.
Since there was a lot of grass area, water would penetrate and it would decrease the runoff from his driveway.
I wish I could remember what they were called, but they did a good job of keeping his wife from ruining the lawn.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 6:17:39 AM EDT
[#10]
I assume this geo-grid thing is similar to the Grasspave 2 system we have at work. It works and is designed to support large vehicle like fire trucks etc. The turf doesn't like constant traffic but the grid holds up just fine.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 1:14:04 PM EDT
[#11]
How often do you use and or move the camper?

Geo grid will have grass growing at the edge that has to be cut or weed whipped.  Going to splatter your camper with that using a string trimmer or work around it with the lawnmower each week at the edges.  Grass will likely not grow towards the inside under heavy shade.

Concrete is best, compacted gravel over geotex after diggging out the turf and topsoil is second best, simple pads for the jacks will work if you can put up with the grass.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 1:48:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By jmt1991:
Back in the late 80's my friend installed these large pavers that had holes in them, for a parking pad.
They were about 16" square and looked like a grid.  From the ad he showed me, they were used around buildings anyplace a vehicle would have to park.
Since there was a lot of grass area, water would penetrate and it would decrease the runoff from his driveway.
I wish I could remember what they were called, but they did a good job of keeping his wife from ruining the lawn.
View Quote

Generic name is "turf paver" but there are many different styles and brands. Also not the simplest solution and might not be a good solution for a trailer that sits all the time.

They work wonderful for a spot that needs parked on infrequently or temporarily though as eventually the grass fills in and the "paver" disappears.

Link Posted: 4/3/2024 5:22:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By crazyelece:

Generic name is "turf paver" but there are many different styles and brands. Also not the simplest solution and might not be a good solution for a trailer that sits all the time.

They work wonderful for a spot that needs parked on infrequently or temporarily though as eventually the grass fills in and the "paver" disappears.

https://nicolock.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/MicrosoftTeams-image-226.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By crazyelece:
Originally Posted By jmt1991:

https://nicolock.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/MicrosoftTeams-image-226.jpg

That's it!  Thanks for the memory update!
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 7:32:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Just do your due diligence if you live in city limits.  Sometimes they won’t allow building an extra paved driveway or whatever without paying for a permit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top