Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Multi generation living? (Page 3 of 4)
Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:08:49 AM EDT
[#1]
The nuclear family was largely a mistake and is responsible for many of the ills GD agonizes over.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:10:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: grey50beast] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 20229mm:
Whites got away from it.  That’s part of the reason we have some people that hate foreigners.   They see a family arrive in America and 4 years later they have Benz’s in the driveway. Yea.  When everyone looks after each other, you can amass great wealth quickly.
View Quote

Yup. Knew some guys in college. Dad was a GC, the 2 brothers lived with their parents, and opened a restaurant with their mom while in HS. They went to school full time and worked double that. They crashed on my couch when they didn't want to make the hr commute home. They now own 3 locations and a liquor store in ATL. They also drove AMG cars at 18...
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:13:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Glocked:

For some kids it’s coddling and enabling, it’s usually pretty obvious to see when that’s the case.

If they’ve been raised to be well adjusted, determined, smart, and responsible young adults. It is simply an investment to your kid’s future, trying to give them a better chance at a more successful young adulthood. You presumably have spent your adult life investing in your own future and outcome. Why not invest in your kid’s future and outcome?

There is no one size fits all approach.
View Quote

Go ahead and defend it.  Keeping your kids at home because it is easier for them to go through life is coddling.

‘Stay home and make $300/week. It’s okay. Life is hard.  Maybe when you’re older you’ll be ready to live on your own. You’re not ready. I’ll help you and provide care.’

They’re being raised to ‘stay home and stay safe’ by mom and dad.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:19:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Notcalifornialegal] [#4]
Originally Posted By durtychemist:

Go ahead and defend it.  Keeping your kids at home because it is easier for them to go through life is coddling.

‘Stay home and make $300/week. It’s okay. Life is hard.  Maybe when you’re older you’ll be ready to live on your own. You’re not ready. I’ll help you and provide care.’

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

For some kids it’s coddling and enabling, it’s usually pretty obvious to see when that’s the case.

If they’ve been raised to be well adjusted, determined, smart, and responsible young adults. It is simply an investment to your kid’s future, trying to give them a better chance at a more successful young adulthood. You presumably have spent your adult life investing in your own future and outcome. Why not invest in your kid’s future and outcome?

More of "you can stay home if you're productive and building for yourself, but if you're just being lazy you're out"

If your kid is building a business and takes the money he would have put towards rent back into his work is that such a bad thing?

One of my brothers did EXACTLY and stayed home until he got married that and has zero debt outside of his mortgage and a pile of clients.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:20:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I already told my Son I’d buy him a nice RV to park in the back yard, if he wanted to do that while he was getting started.   He could easily be a multi-millionaire by the age of 30 if he went with my plan, with an amazing career and future..but alas, he only wants to join the military.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:23:04 AM EDT
[#6]
We sit on 40 acres. Wife and I have discussed many times we will divide it when time comes if they would like me to build a house on their portion or move a house on their spot. We of course will only give a couple acres bc of the agricultural tax credit and renting the crop land out lol. That way we are in our small house and they can help us when we are older.  Guy across the road inherited roughly 20 acres from is grandfather and sold off about 15 to the farmer and is building his house on the other 5. Crop land is around 10k an acre out by us.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:24:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Notcalifornialegal:

More of "you can stay home if you're productive and building for yourself, but if you're just being lazy you're out"

If your kid is building a business and takes the money he would have put towards rent back into his work is that such a bad thing?

One of my brothers did EXACTLY and stayed home until he got marries that has has zero debt outside of his mortgage and a pile of clients.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Notcalifornialegal:

One of my brothers did EXACTLY and stayed home until he got marries that has has zero debt outside of his mortgage and a pile of clients.

Good approach.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:28:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kpel308] [#8]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:33:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BillofRights] [#9]
Originally Posted By ScopeScar:
The US needs chateaux:

For sale
View Quote

- eta -     Beautiful homes there.   Too bad Taxes are astronomical.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:34:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Glocked] [#10]

View All Quotes

Giving your kids 4 years through college to stack that $300 a week, is giving your kid $60K when they graduate. $60,000, which isn’t shit now a days, but it’s sure better than $0 when they’re looking for land, or a first house, or starting a family.

Is giving your kid a reliable vehicle coddling too?

Letting them build a house on your land, or giving them some land?

Paying for their school?

Watching future grandkids, because they had their kids, it’s not your responsibility to help them financially?

Our nation certainly seems to be intent on continuing to try it your way. I guess we’ll see how it works out eventually.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:34:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By kpel308:
I've got 10 people, 4 under the age of 5, living in this 2 bedroom townhouse with me right now, and my current income is less than 200 USD/month.  2 years ago, it was 12K USD/month.

Times are tough all over, and it goes further when you share.  It still sucks.

Me
SWMBO
Daughter
Her 3yo boy
Son
His 5yo boy
His 2yo boy
His 4 month old daughter
His nanny for all the kids
Niece

On the weekends, daughter's 21 and 17yo sons and 20yo daughter come over.  That's 13 people.

We pool food and outdoor cooking with our neighbors, so that helps, too.

I love them all, but I find myself longing for my CHU in Iraq.
View Quote

I'm sure when those littles are grown you'll look back fondly on this time together.  Probably, anyway.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:37:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By HecklerKac:
Most knuckleheads here have the "out when you're 18" mindset
View Quote

I have good kids and I'm willing to give a few years if they are productive and don't turn into dirtbags as adults but their not going to be 25 mooching off pops
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:37:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: macman37] [#13]
No offense for anyone making multi generational living work... but it smells like some kind of hard cope based on the times. "well that's how it used to be since time immemorial..."

I get it, it was... but if it becomes the new normal I'm gonna guess a few of the "-cides" would spike for a few decades. Fratri-, patri- and matri- notably.

I freely admit that my post is based on not having any family I'd multi-generational shack up with (while they'd LOVE to shack up with me)...
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:38:32 AM EDT
[#14]

'Stay home and make $300/week. It's okay. Life is hard.  Maybe when you're older you'll be ready to live on your own. You're not ready. I'll help you and provide care.'

They're being raised to 'stay home and stay safe' by mom and dad.
View All Quotes

For some kids it's coddling and enabling, it's usually pretty obvious to see when that's the case.

If they've been raised to be well adjusted, determined, smart, and responsible young adults. It is simply an investment to your kid's future, trying to give them a better chance at a more successful young adulthood. You presumably have spent your adult life investing in your own future and outcome. Why not invest in your kid's future and outcome?

'Stay home and make $300/week. It's okay. Life is hard.  Maybe when you're older you'll be ready to live on your own. You're not ready. I'll help you and provide care.'

Lol wat

The best example of doing it right is Drsalee, who posts occasionally about how he's helped his kids get and stay on track, and lets them utilize his guest house and stuff like that. He's churning out doctors.

Just because you personally might have stayed a lazy ass bum and slept on the couch all day if your parents had let you doesn't mean that's what happens to everyone.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:40:11 AM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

If you raised your kids right, they wouldn’t be making only $300 a week?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:42:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Glocked] [#16]
Originally Posted By macman37:
No offense for anyone making multi generational living work... but it smells like some kind of hard cope based on the times. "well that's how it used to be since time immemorial..."

I get it, it was... but if it becomes the new normal I'm gonna guess a few of the "-cides" would spike for a few decades. Fratri-, patri- and matri- notably.

I freely admit that my post is based on not having any family I'd multi-generational shack up with (while they'd LOVE to shack up with me)...
View Quote

Is that not a good thing? Seems like the shitty dysfunctional families would self-delete from the gene pool at an increased rate.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:43:21 AM EDT
[#17]

View Quote
Ngl when we moved up here to help care for my dad, we lived under the same roof as him and my mom for a while. It was great for like 6 weeks, then the shine was off that apple lol

Financially I'm slightly worse off now than before, and we were in what we considered our forever-house... But the old man earned family rallying and even on the worst days I know it was the right thing to do. It's not for everyone though.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:47:05 AM EDT
[#18]

Is that not a good thing? Seems like the shitty dysfunctional families would self-delete from the gene pool at an increased rate.
View All Quotes

I mean... you ain't wrong.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:48:02 AM EDT
[#19]
I think generational living is the way to go.  While my generation was told to get out at 18 and go to college so you can have a good paying job (lie) , I will do different with my children.  

My oldest brother graduated in 2008 with his PhD and eventually got laid off for a little under a year. He moved back home with my parents and worked until he was rehired.  My middle brother lived in my grandmas house 200 yards from my parents and finally moved out after 6 years. He is still figuring it out at 40😪.  I never lived at home after college but did live in the family vacation cabin close to my job for 18 months until I got married.

My goal is to make my home and property a generational living property because I know how helpful it can be to have family around and financial assist my children in this economic climate.

Fortunately, our property is big enough without zoning issues we could have 3-4 homesites.

On the flip side my in-laws (late boomers) are nearing retirement age and have nothing. Quite sad but their fault.  They currently are renting our old house at a discounted rate. Been lte on rent 40% of time 🤪.  But eventually pay.

Kids don’t be like grandma and grandpa

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:51:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:01:13 AM EDT
[#21]

View All Quotes

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:12:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:17:09 AM EDT
[#23]
The separate duplex apartment has the advantage that it can be rented out after they leave, or converted into a workshop/garage.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:18:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: grey50beast] [#24]

View Quote

I guess that's one way to look at it. The other side is I get to be risky in business ownership because of lower personal overhead. I have a shop full of paid off tools that make me profit more than 300 a day, let alone a week. If I had moved home and immediately bought my own place, I'd have to work for the man and have linear growth forever. At least with my current situation exponential growth is a real possibility. If grinding for 40 years for the man is your thing, more power to you.

If it wouldn't work for you, because you suck as a person, or your family sucks, cool. It's just not that way with everyone.

The richest guy I know just moved back in with his mom. Sold his ranch in Malibu along with his company for a quarter billion dollars, and drove his 2010 Chevy Colorado home last year. Now at 36 he's traveling the world with his GF and coming home to mom because she's lonely.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:21:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BillofRights] [#25]

Wait... you were SERIOUS?!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BillofRights:

>SNIP<
What are the Taxes like in France?

Wait... you were SERIOUS?!

Yes, I’m serious.   It’s a friggin castle.  With a Moat.  For only €990,000!

Eta-    OK, looks like they have about 6 different kinds of taxes, including a “wealth tax”.        I’m cured.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:24:48 AM EDT
[#26]
I’d let my MIL live with us if she needed to, but she owns multiple homes and ranches in 2 countries and I don’t expect that will ever become necessary.

I’d consider moving to a bigger piece of land if the kids wanted to live on a family compound when they’re older and married. Not having 30 year old baristas living under my roof though.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:26:56 AM EDT
[#27]
People have had roommates so they could afford apartments before, they're not a new invention or a horrible idea.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:29:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kharn] [#28]
Originally Posted By TGE:
Lol wat

The best example of doing it right is Drsalee, who posts occasionally about how he's helped his kids get and stay on track, and lets them utilize his guest house and stuff like that. He's churning out doctors.

Just because you personally might have stayed a lazy ass bum and slept on the couch all day if your parents had let you doesn't mean that's what happens to everyone.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TGE:

For some kids it's coddling and enabling, it's usually pretty obvious to see when that's the case.

If they've been raised to be well adjusted, determined, smart, and responsible young adults. It is simply an investment to your kid's future, trying to give them a better chance at a more successful young adulthood. You presumably have spent your adult life investing in your own future and outcome. Why not invest in your kid's future and outcome?

Lol wat

He did send at least two of them to the Navy where, I believe, one married a pilot? I'd let them stay in the basement before that fate.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:31:20 AM EDT
[#29]
My 10 & 6 year olds have already informed me that they're living with dad forever.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:33:15 AM EDT
[#30]
If you kick your kids out at 18, don’t complain when they never come to visit and in your old age you can play the song “Cat’s In The Cradle” to keep you company.

I agree with OP.

My kids, my wife and I are a team together and we help each other out. This is my core circle of the people that matter most to me. Neighbors, friends, and local community are the next outer layers of the circle of people I care about and try to protect.

My kids can move out when they are ready and try to avoid debt as much as possible. The world has changed from what I had in the 70’s and 80’s.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:33:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By bikedamon:
The nuclear family was largely a mistake and is responsible for many of the ills GD agonizes over.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:37:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Sometimes I fantasize about living on a compound with a bunch of people I trust. That's basically generational living. Would help with home/vehicle maintenance, food prep, child rearing, all sorts of shit.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:40:02 AM EDT
[#33]
My kids can stay as long as they are in school and getting grades to justify it. If they are not, then we need an exit plan in place.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:54:06 AM EDT
[#34]
We've got 10acres..my 23yr old son resides on property,  my 27yr old daughter, her husband an 2 grandkids also live here...we also have lodging for my elderly parents, when they visit..everyone pitches in an contributes..I enjoy seeing them each day.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:28:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Kharn:
People have had roommates so they could afford apartments before, they're not a new invention or a horrible idea.

Kharn
View Quote

Me and 3 other guys rented half a duplex with three bedrooms and an attic for $500/month per guy from 2006-2008. It wasn't super nice, but wasn't super bad either, just a generic rental.

That would be about $775 per person in today's money. I'm not sure you're going to find many places like that anymore.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:33:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By sitdwnandhngon:

Me and 3 other guys rented half a duplex with three bedrooms and an attic for $500/month per guy from 2006-2008. It wasn't super nice, but wasn't super bad either, just a generic rental.

That would be about $775 per person in today's money. I'm not sure you're going to find many places like that anymore.
View All Quotes

Kharn

A four bedroom SFH in a blue collar neighborhood rents for $2000-2200 in this area. $2750+ for better schools.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:50:46 AM EDT
[#37]

A four bedroom SFH in a blue collar neighborhood rents for $2000-2200 in this area. $2750+ for better schools.

Kharn
View All Quotes

Kharn

Kharn

That's reasonable then.

The boys at work were looking for places and even two bedroom apartments were running $3000+/month. Any place that is reasonable is likely locked down by long term renters and has been for years.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:53:50 AM EDT
[#38]

That's reasonable then.

The boys at work were looking for places and even two bedroom apartments were running $3000+/month. Any place that is reasonable is likely locked down by long term renters and has been for years.
View All Quotes

Kharn

Kharn

That's reasonable then.

There is no rent control in suburban MD. I'm not sure about Baltimore city.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:09:44 PM EDT
[#39]
My kids got told, at the end of high school they need either full time work, full time school, or full market rent.

But we're also trying to potentially free up room for surviving grandparents. The longer I can keep them out of a home the better they'll do.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:28:14 PM EDT
[#40]

View All Quotes

Kharn

3br/2ba 1500 sq ft rental next door to me is $2100/mo but falling apart.

Currently has 10 people living in it
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:29:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Adult children staying under parents roof to save money is fine.  Saving means earning money and putting it in the bank.  Saving means paying down and eliminating debt.  Saving could mean studying and working towards a profitable career.

A barista with a graduate degree in Art History, $200,000 of student debt, and living under her parents' roof for the ten years is not contributing to the family welfare.  She needs to change her circumstances and move forward.

If an adult child is living with parents because of bad choices, then they need to stop making bad choices.

My last relationship ended when I told my  significant other I did not want a deadbeat for a stepson.  Kid dropped out of college and said he wanted to go into the trades.  I told him fine, pick one, we'll get you started.  He's blown off every opportunity.  He sits around all day on the Play Station doing weed.

I told her if he was going to live under her roof, he had to have a job.   I suggested she charge him rent and put the money in some form of  escrow.  Kid makes every excuse in the book to avoid working.  She continues to coddle him.  I bailed.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:36:54 PM EDT
[#42]
OP should do what works for him.  Ignore the "social norm", mostly it is nonsense and garbage and herd mentality.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:25:47 PM EDT
[#43]
I guess the only thing I can add to this is.

Multi-Generation living on an extended timeline would change many of the attitudes we see here.

Regardless of side.  most people are concerned with "my house" "their house" and so on.

I'm sure many of the cultures that have practiced it for years see things truly as "our house" or "The family's home"

Then the issues of who pays for what come from the patriarch or matriarch that hands out responsibility.  A role taken on by the family's natural leader.

Basically if you're doing it. Depending on how far you want to take it.  Get your kids to consider that it's their house too.  So it's only natural they would want to support and take care of the house you share.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:29:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: country_boy87] [#44]
Thats how I grew up, lived with my mom and grandma. If the house needed fixing, Id do the construction, plumbing or whatever.  Yard was ALWAYS mowed and maintained by me.
Paid my own way, paid the electrical, and water bill every month.  Saved up bought my first vehicle with cash.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:33:05 PM EDT
[#45]
I lived at home about 2 and a half years after college. Saved a shitload of money. Put a huge down payment on a nice house and got myself way ahead of the game. It made my mid/late 20s and so forward so much easier. I was greatly aided by favorable market conditions at the time I bought my house and was even able to score some rentals not long after.

Of course now my house would cost double what it did when I bought it and rates are higher so someone out of college would have to aim lower on normal salaries, but still. I am appreciative of my parents. They both lived with their parents for a little while our of college. It just makes sense as opposed to being broke and scraping by for years to hope you'll climb upwards.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:43:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Lou_Daks:
OP should do what works for him.  Ignore the "social norm", mostly it is nonsense and garbage and herd mentality.
View Quote
"If the social norm you followed led you to this, of what use was the social norm?"
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:44:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Bacon_Grease:
I guess the only thing I can add to this is.

Multi-Generation living on an extended timeline would change many of the attitudes we see here.

Regardless of side.  most people are concerned with "my house" "their house" and so on.

I'm sure many of the cultures that have practiced it for years see things truly as "our house" or "The family's home"

Then the issues of who pays for what come from the patriarch or matriarch that hands out responsibility.  A role taken on by the family's natural leader.

Basically if you're doing it. Depending on how far you want to take it.  Get your kids to consider that it's their house too.  So it's only natural they would want to support and take care of the house you share.
View Quote

Sounds like communist propaganda but ok
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:48:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By KillerDyller:
Sometimes I fantasize about living on a compound with a bunch of people I trust. That's basically generational living. Would help with home/vehicle maintenance, food prep, child rearing, all sorts of shit.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:49:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kpel308] [#49]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:55:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kpel308] [#50]
Page / 4
Multi generation living? (Page 3 of 4)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top