Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2024 3:19:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lexington]
I just landed a new job. One of my former employers could not confirm that I ever worked there, yet they held my first clearance, sent me W2 at tax time, and I represented them in customer meetings. (The FSO and Accounting have no records?)

The background check company said my former employer had no record of me working there. I contacted the employer directly and they scrambled for two days and still came up with nothing. Do they have a legal obligation to keep records of my former employment?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:34:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Interesting situation. I've never employed anyone, but I'm not familiar with any legal requirement to maintain employment records.
Hmm. Unless it may be for unemployment compensation purposes?

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:38:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Probably have to keep tax related records of your pay but can discard them after X number of years.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:17:50 PM EDT
[#3]
IRS can tell you anything about a ss# work history or the ss administration
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:41:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lexington] [#4]
This was from 2018. I submitted a redacted 1040 page to show my own proof of employment to the background check company. But neither HR or Accounting can find me? Astounding.

Companies from further in my past can find me.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:47:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tortilla-flats] [#5]
Yeah, that's far enough back that they likely have a document retention policy in place that purged your records.

ETA: And that's far enough back that would almost trigger my personal records retention deletion.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:54:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a similar problem. Old company was bought out by two successive private equity groups .

Current HR idiot said ‘ I have never heard of that person’ instead of providing actual records.

In a 5,500 person 700mil company.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 9:25:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DogtownTom] [#7]
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 5:40:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RenegadeX] [#8]
Originally Posted By Lexington:
I just landed a new job. One of my former employers could not confirm that I ever worked there, yet they held my first clearance, sent me W2 at tax time, and I represented them in customer meetings. (The FSO and Accounting have no records?)
View Quote

Words matter.

This is not the same as "we have no record of you working there".

Was there a merger, buyout, etc? Lots of records can get lost in that process.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top