Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 4/14/2024 9:57:18 PM EDT
The facts:

We do have a Beware of the Dog sign on the fence next to the gate.
Amazon Guy (AG) whistled before opening the gate, but the dog was upstairs and it took him a few seconds to run downstairs and bound out the open front door (which you can't see from the gate).
AG was inside the gate when the dog bit his hand. The bite drew blood, enough to drip on the walkway. Looked like at least 3 punctures on his finger(s).
We kenneled the dog and brought AG in the house to get him cleaned up and bandaged. He was very decent about it, said it's happened before, didn't seem too upset at all and was very glad we cared enough to get him bandaged up because a lot of people wouldn't bother.
Dog has never bitten anyone before.

He said he does have to do paperwork about the incident. Will Amazon try to hold us liable for the workman's comp claim/medical/pain/suffering etc? It seemed like AG didn't want to make an issue about it, but people can always change their mind later.

Douglas County, Colorado, if that matters.

Should I pepper my angus?
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:00:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I’m not sure the beware of dog sign will be helpful. I would expect you to be liable for medical costs and lost time at work
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:00:38 PM EDT
[#2]
What breed of dog? That'll define this entire thread
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:00:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:00:58 PM EDT
[#4]
What breed of dog? Is the dog up to date on shots? If he wants to see a doc pay the bill out of pocket. Having a dangerous dog can seriously impact your homeowners insurance.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:01:07 PM EDT
[#5]
He could sue.  

Restrain your dog b/c 2nd bite is gonna cost $$$.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:01:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Andy will be calling you.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:02:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:03:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Riter:
He could sue.
View Quote

If he doesn't his WC insurance company will.  Afterward your homeowner's insurance will probably tell you to get rid of the dog or they will drop you, assuming your dog breed isn't on the list of breeds not covered under their liability policy.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:03:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: scuba_steve] [#9]
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:04:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Jeff is coming for you.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:05:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Gspointer:
I’m not sure the beware of dog sign will be helpful. I would expect you to be liable for medical costs and lost time at work
View Quote

Yup and the city may take action for an aggressive dog.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:05:56 PM EDT
[#12]
"Beware of dog". Why, because you knew he was aggressive?
Playing devil's advocate, a lawywer would ask this question.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:07:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Just transfer all your assets to the AG now as a gesture of good will.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:07:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Home insurance will take care of anything... I ended up putting the dag down...
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:09:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Probably depends on the medical outcome.  I once knew someone that spent over a week in the hospital and almost died from a simple dog bite.  Dogs have a lot of germs in their mouth.  Infection can be a killer.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:09:43 PM EDT
[#16]
SSS.

Poor AG
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:09:49 PM EDT
[#17]
A family in my neighborhood was forced to get rid of their dog because it bit a kid. Kid was fine, nothing too major. But a report was filed and their homeowners insurance was going to drop them if they didn’t find a new home for the dog or put it down.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:09:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By redseven11b:
View Quote

Australian Shepherd / Husky mix. About 30 pounds.

Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:10:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Gulftanker:
The facts:

Amazon Guy (AG) whistled before opening the gate, but the dog was upstairs and it took him a few seconds to run downstairs and bound out the open front door (which you can't see from the gate).
AG was inside the gate when the dog bit his hand. The bite drew blood, enough to drip on the walkway. Looked like at least 3 punctures on his finger(s).
We kenneled the dog and brought AG in the house to get him cleaned up and bandaged. He was very decent about it, said it's happened before, didn't seem too upset at all and was very glad we cared enough to get him bandaged up because a lot of people wouldn't bother.

He said he does have to do paperwork about the incident. Will Amazon try to hold us liable for the workman's comp claim/medical/pain/suffering etc? It seemed like AG didn't want to make an issue about it, but people can always change their mind later.

View Quote

---------------

For the future,

Perhaps a screen door would help contain doggie.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:14:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By whiskerz:
What breed of dog? Is the dog up to date on shots? If he wants to see a doc pay the bill out of pocket. Having a dangerous dog can seriously impact your homeowners insurance.
View Quote

Yeah, shots are all current. If he'd mentioned wanting to go to the urgent care, we'd have offered to handle it. He didn't seem like he was hurt too bad and was mostly interested in getting back to his route.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:15:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Expect a call from Amazon seeking to determine a way forward.  They will be less interested in liability and more interested in ways to prevent in future.

Most likely you will be asked for a reassurance that dog is confined and/or a request to have a package drop box installed at gate going forward.  Amazon is still interested in preserving a customer.  Worse case you will have UPS deliver a day late from now on…but I doubt that would happen here.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:16:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tiasman] [#22]
ETA

Sounds like you took care of the driver well I’m sure that will produce goodwill in how it’s handled.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:16:46 PM EDT
[#23]
It's Colorado, a step above Washington.   If you were here in one of the liberal ass counties, I'd say pepper the something.  

'
 Most of us here would probably have said fuck it and not report it, least I would pending the wound.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:18:05 PM EDT
[#24]
He will probably update his route info to include avoiding the dog so maybe others wont do the same thing.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:18:36 PM EDT
[#25]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/338569/F2BD981C-DEEA-4B2F-A9E2-13FCC2745E57-1780542.jpg
View Quote

Look at that face. Not fucking guilty, it was the neighbor's dog.

Joking aside. You are on the hook and things might get super ugly for you and the dog.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:18:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gulftanker] [#26]
Originally Posted By Meat-Hook:

---------------

For the future,

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Meat-Hook:
The facts:

---------------

For the future,

We almost never leave the door open, but our other old geezer dog had been asking to go out over and over, and since it was 80 degrees today I just decided to leave it open for him. Then of course this happens...
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:21:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Eh, probably nothing. My former coworker in a government position, was bit by a huge-ass GSD while in the field. Work took care of her. She didn't want to pursue the matter. A few years ago my old man's little dog bit the mail carrier. All USPS did was issue final warning and made him put a mail box up at the edge of his property.

Personally, if a dog bit me while I was delivering a package on their property, I'd visit an injury lawyer asap. People really need to learn how to control their stupid dogs.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:22:09 PM EDT
[#28]
The facts:

View Quote

Not only that, but just like in the Wizard of OZ they’ll send the Wicked Witch of the West to take your dog to be euthanized. She will appear soon with official papers. Resistance is futile.

Bad, bad doggie.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:22:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Is your dog up to date on vaccinations? Specifically rabies? Has the Amazon dude called animal control yet?
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:23:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Op sorry to hear it, and hope it all turns out ok for you and the pup.

But you did remind me to order a garden box and a sign for the delivery people to packages in. My drive way is up hill and windy, and I have a spot for it that you cant see from the road about 1/2 way up the driveway.

My dogs have a doggy door and know the delivery people are here before they even get up the driveway. They are on an invisible fence but most drivers don't know where they stop. My dogs are friendly as hell but noisy as hell as well.

So thanks for the reminder and hope all is well.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:23:08 PM EDT
[#31]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/338569/F2BD981C-DEEA-4B2F-A9E2-13FCC2745E57-1780542.jpg
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By redseven11b:

Classic ball-sniffer  … good riddance.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:24:12 PM EDT
[#32]
The facts:

View Quote

So you acknowledge that your dog is dangerous, and that you were aware of it?
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:25:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Scalped:

..., I'd visit an injury lawyer asap....
View Quote

And see post 16, sorry for your families loss
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:26:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Your homeowners insurance should cover the medical care if it is needed.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:28:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:28:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 338winmag] [#36]
Originally Posted By MeInMediocrity:
Probably depends on the medical outcome.  I once knew someone that spent over a week in the hospital and almost died from a simple dog bite.  Dogs have a lot of germs in their mouth.  Infection can be a killer.
View Quote

I got bit by a dog out running at the end of December. I spent 5 days in the hospital. I ended up having surgery to eliminate some infection and got about 25 infusions of antibiotics. Since the dog that bit me was a stray, I went through the rabies series. The first part was painful.
Dog bites are nothing to sneeze at. My leg was swelled up 2 days after the bite. All in all it took 3 months to heal.
ETA:  This is the second time I’ve been bitten while running.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:29:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Was AG guy white or black. Im guessing.........
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:29:35 PM EDT
[#38]
No storm door?
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:30:51 PM EDT
[#39]
I don't know, but will you pass that avatar to another member before you can't afford a membership?
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:30:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By azjeeper:
View Quote

This.
The sign could be taken as evidence that you knew the dog was dangerous and yet did nothing to prevent people from getting injured by your "dangerous" dog.

"Beware of dog" sign has the same effect as those "not responsible for broken windshields" signs on the back of gravel trucks.   In neither case do the signs provide any liability reduction for the owner.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:32:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Feed the dog peppered Angus
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:33:12 PM EDT
[#42]
We had an Amazon driver file a complaint on us and our dog for our dog “chasing her off the property.”  When I got the call from them, I instantly pulled up camera footage and disproved the entire event. My dogs weren’t even outside when the event was to have occurred.

They instantly closed the case. But even before I said I had video, they were very polite and didn’t seem at all interested in making a big deal out of it. It was more along the lines of how can we continue to deliver to you and keep our divers safe.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:36:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:36:53 PM EDT
[#44]
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By ske714:
So you acknowledge that your dog is dangerous, and that you were aware of it?

Like I said in the OP, he's never bitten before and he's never endangered anybody.

Besides, I've never seen a "Friendly Dog" sign before. Is there a better way for me to indicate that there's a dog here?
Plus, it would look really bad if I made a "Friendly Doggie Lives Here" sign and then he bites...
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:38:32 PM EDT
[#45]
took him a few seconds to run downstairs and bound out the open front door

Hmmm
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:40:38 PM EDT
[#46]
I’m sure there was no way of knowing AG was coming that day and about what time, so sure let’s leave the front door open so your land shark can get some exercise.  

Totally avoidable situation with the smallest amount of intelligence.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:40:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Ours but the mail carrier USPS. Had dog at work and he comes in to drop off packages and was playing with him.

Same thing we bandaged. He said he had to do a report and we never heard from anyone.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:41:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Duke117] [#48]
First off,,, shut up.
Let this thread die and disappear deep into the archives or delete.

Single party consent state? Say nothing on the phone without consulting an attorney.
You know better than to offer a written statement without counsel.

Drop a few hundred preemptively for a legal opinion prior to answering any oral/written inquiry.
Sorry it happened but do not take advice from random internet people and proactively protect your family and dog..
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:42:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By rodical:
Home insurance will take care of anything...
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:45:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Scalped:
Eh, probably nothing. My former coworker in a government position, was bit by a huge-ass GSD while in the field. Work took care of her. She didn't want to pursue the matter. A few years ago my old man's little dog bit the mail carrier. All USPS did was issue final warning and made him put a mail box up at the edge of his property.

Personally, if a dog bit me while I was delivering a package on their property, I'd visit an injury lawyer asap. People really need to learn how to control their stupid dogs.
View Quote

This is a bit crass but probably where I am at. Why does delivery guy have to deal with getting bit from time to time? It's kind of silly.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top