Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 9:00:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Square66] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tnwalker10:
I've been disabled almost 30 years dealing with PF on and off.  It started when I started having back problems.  My PF is complicated due to nerve damage in my back and chronic Rheumatoid Arthritis.  My most recent attack is because I put my night splints on too tight after a day of moving myself to a new house.  That night I put my splints on.  After I'd had the splints on for an hour I was in severe pain.  I took them off, but the damage was done.

That was 8 years ago.  In about 6 years I've been unable to leave my house.  Haven't driven either.  A family member takes me to the doctor.  Any attempt to stretch them out ends in pain no matter how gentle I try it.  I'm really in a mess right now.  I couldn't live without ice and Celebrex.  

The only advice I can give is just because it feels better doesn't mean you're clear.  Continue to stretch every morning whether you want to or not.  Just 2-3 minutes of stretching means a lot.  Try to pay close attention to how your feet feel and don't damage them if you can help it.  Don't put your splints on too tight and go to sleep.
View Quote

Sorry to hear that.  It sounds like hell to deal with.  Can’t you get the surgery for it or is that not an option for you?  

Not sure about your age but when you said you were disabled for 30 years that tells me that you’ve got some miles on the odometer like I do.  The surgery fixed both of my feet.  Had I not gotten the surgery there is no way I’d have gotten the job I have now.  Have you inquired if this could work in your case?

Edit:  In all fairness I was in my late 20s and early 30s when I was dealing with this and that might make a difference, but I’m not a doctor.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 9:52:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I can wholeheartedly recommend Tread Labs insoles. I think I have four sets now. They work amazing for plantar fasciitis and also were a considerable help while dealing torn Achilles on both legs (thanks Levaquin).
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 9:53:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By dirtyboy:
I don't understand the stretching thing.  It hurts because you are pulling things apart, I think you would be ahead to let it heal instead of pulling it more, do the stretching afterwards.  I've had it in my left foot, ended up replacing several sets of boots to get better arch support and buying high arch inserts.  No longer wear Redwings, switched to Ariat.  Had the best luck with Easy Feet insoles.
View Quote
If you are stretching so aggressively that you are pulling things apart, a good physical therapist could help you with a stretching routine that is beneficial and not doing damage. Stretching is the number one go to for me when it flairs up, especially my calves and hamstrings, which aren't even inflamed, but are connected and provide relief.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 9:54:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By BULLDAWG_556:

The only thing that works is surgery. Everything else is a bandaid. I had an outpatient procedure that cured me.

Look for someone who can perform Tenex.
View Quote

Not this. I resolved mine by not wearing shoes in the house.  Feet on hardwood floors. Everyone’s resolution is different.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 9:59:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Piratepast40:
tylenol and booze seem to work best.  Harder drugs if you've got 'em.
View Quote

this is the best advice in the thread.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:05:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Cycling helps me keep it in check.  Whenever I back off my riding for more than about 10 days it flares up.  Fortunately I ride 4-5 times a week.  Stretch, stay active, wear good shoes and lose weight, it will get better.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:11:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By 11boomboom:
As others have stated:

Roll a frozen water bottle, tennis ball or one of those bumpy massage balls along your foot arch
Do frequent calf stretches
Get shoe inserts with more arch support
Make sure you're stretching even after you heal up

Plantar Fasciitis is caused by inflammation or tearing of the tissue holding your foot arch tendons together. Hyperextending your foot can re-injure yourself.
View Quote

This,and these are the inserts I used.

https://barefoot-science.com/en-us/pages/plantar-fasciitis
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:11:50 AM EDT
[#8]
A daily foot massage by a cute Asian lady will cures all your ills
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:12:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Horse lintiment.....improve the blood circulation
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:17:17 AM EDT
[#10]
I know way more than I should about the subject.  Number 1, dont put it off.  Go to a foot doctor and get a shot of cortisone.  I put it off thinking it would just go away.  It didn't and by the time I went to the Dr, it had spread to the other foot and eventually up to both knees.  3 rounds of cortisone in the arches of both feet didn't even touch it.  That was over 3 years ago.  The sharp pain in my arches finally went away, but my feet and legs still bother me every day.  If I don't stretch multiple times a day, it gets bad fast.

For me, the sore feet was just a symptom.  I eventually figured out that the  real problem is in the calf.  Inflammation causes the muscles and tendons to tighten up, and tight things tend to tear.  Since it is all connected, the feet is where you feel it the most.

So, go to the Dr ASAP and get it under control before it gets really bad.  Start stretching those calf muscles out several times a day, and find some comfortable tennis shoes.  I find Brooks to be the most comfortable for me.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:17:30 AM EDT
[#11]
For me relief came from wearing stiff soled hiking boots with a good insole.  Asolo boots with superfeet insoles.  Also always keep orthotic flip flops next to the bed and never walk around the house barefoot.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:43:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Treatment will depend on your feet.  I have high insoles so needed custom arch supports.  I tried almost every non-prescription brand available and none of them worked.  It boils down to getting what you paid for.  Stretches and strengthening are critical but you need to see a foot doctor.  Someone above posted that they always go barefoot in the house.  I needed just the opposite since the high arch was always flexing too much.  

I also have psoriatic arthritis which is a is an opportunistic disease.  Walking long distances on steel and concrete decks made it much worse to the point that I grew a bone spur on the side of one of my feet.  Orthopedic surgeon said to leave it alone and that she would never have foot surgery unless absolutely necessary.  

The point is that you need to see a foot doctor to develop treatments that work for you.  BTW, opiates really didn't help much for me.  Working in a field that requires fitness for duty on multiple levels, doesn't work if you want to take enough opiates to actually do anything for you.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:46:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By hrt4me:
tennis balls
View Quote

In all my physical activity backlash/bags I always keep a golf ball for rolling out my heel.    It’s a game changer
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:52:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Had it off and on for years. You gotta find what works for you to banish it. Everyone is different.

For me, wearing the boot at night worked well to help with attacks. It stretches the ligaments and helped a lot.

Only shoes I wear are Merrell Moabs as they fit my feet really well. Dr. Scholl, Plantar Fascitis inserts in every pair has kept it at bay for over three years.  

Link Posted: 4/14/2024 1:39:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I can only tell you what worked for me and that was stretching the fuck out of it.  Stretch until it really hurts and then stretch some more every day for at least 20 minutes.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 1:58:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By 49north:
Do the exercises wear good shoes and don't go barefoot

You will recover
View Quote

This, and (although not saying you are), don’t be overweight.

This is one of the half million or so problems that are caused and/or aggravated by obesity.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:09:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By snubfan:
See a podiatrist if you don't get improvement via OTC orthotics and exercises. The doctor solved the pain problem for me with custom made orthotics (they are expensive, plus the cost of the medical exams/xrays, etc). Some have tried the Good Feet Store, but I have not.
View Quote

Hard polymer orthotics from my podiatrist completely solve my PF . Went from walkin like a 90yo with arthritis to painfree feet in just a few weeks . No problems at all in the 10 years ive used em.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:15:11 AM EDT
[#18]
There’s stretches you can do with just a towel too.  I staved off fasciitis after surgery doing morning stretches in bed with a towel.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:20:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Have to wear inserts in all my shoes! Can't really go barefoot at all. Not fun.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:22:24 AM EDT
[#20]
I’m a physical therapist and I see a couple cases of PF each month.

In short, stretch the hell out of your calves (get a foam stretching wedge), do the ‘frozen water bottle massage” to the soles of your feet (google/YouTube this), and do your best to stay off your feet when you can, wear good shoes when you can’t.

It’ll go away eventually but it can take a while if you don’t take steps. Also lose weight if that’s an issue.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:49:49 AM EDT
[#21]
What is it when there is intense pain at the back of your heel?  I've been dealing with that now for a few years.  I'll wake up after doing some work the previous day and my heel will just be on fire if I try to walk normally.  It's crazy hard to get down stairs when it flares up.  Can't really massage it away or anything.  As I walk a bit more it will ease up but if I sit for a while its right back.  Takes days to go away and then sometime a few weeks later it will return.  

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:01:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mike3000fl] [#22]
Superfeet green insoles. They will work.

Wear them anytime you're on your feet, even at home
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:07:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Root causes guys, feet are everything for us, the only fully bipedal mammals that ever lived. yet they are the most neglected and undertrained part of the anatomy, even world class athletes don’t train feet properly.
Look for kneesovertoesguy on the socials and YT, he has answers and a way out of the immobility death spiral.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:14:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Been there done that... in both feet at the same time.  It sucked ass!  I went to physical therapy and did the stretching exercises.  The best help was getting new insoles.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:53:21 AM EDT
[#25]
I have battled it for years and have done everything other than surgery and PRP. The only thing that has worked is heavy collagen and turmeric supplementation.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:56:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By AFARR:

I’m a podiatrist.   I rarely have to give shots and much more rarely have to do surgery.    

Not to dismiss the suggestions made already.  Those ‘braces’ mentioned?  They’re night splints.  They keep your foot gently stretched when it would normally be tightening up,

Rolling stuff (ice, weird objects) can help with the pain and do some stretching.

Expensive Shoes?  They’ll have (in some cases) a better arch than cheaper shoes…but:  why not use the shoes you already have, and replace the insole with a much better one?

Someone linked ‘Walk Hero’ orthotics.  I have a couple of pairs.  They’re not bad.   I prefer Powersteps a bit better.  Most drug/box stores have crap orthotics.  

Once the pain is gone, don’t stop with the orthotics, as it can reoccur.  

There’s more, but I hate typing on my phone.
View Quote

@AFARR

WHich particular PowerStep do you recommend?
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:03:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: drfroglegs] [#27]
I saw a video from a podiatrist one time where he was talking about the proper shoes to wear if you have plantar fascitis.

He said if you can fold a shoe in half and it bend at the arch, throw it away.

He also said if you hold the shoe by the back, and press the toes into the ground, it should only be able to bend at the toe crease, if it bends at the arch throw it away.

I bought some Saucony Guide shoes and they changed my life. That was 10 years ago and I regularly run multiple miles and I have not had the first bit of pain again.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:53:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By FAIL-SAFE:

@AFARR

WHich particular PowerStep do you recommend?
View Quote

@FAIL-SAFE

I usually go with the Pinnacle ones.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:56:30 PM EDT
[#29]

@FAIL-SAFE

I usually go with the Pinnacle ones.
View Quote

@AFARR

Well, that made it a little bit easier.  Now there's only 13 choices in the Pinnacle line.  I am a tall, fatass, with size 11.5 4E feet.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:03:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By AJE:
I'm dealing with it too.

Wearing this thing at night allows me to wake up and walk with zero pain.  

I thought it would take some adjustment or some time to get used to... nope.  First night, it was like I had no problem.

Now, it still hurts like a bitch if I forget to put the boot on, and I know I've still got to roll it out and I'm seeing a doctor next week, but that will help you as soon as you get one.
View Quote

BINGO. Wore one on one leg for a week, then the other leg for a week. Bought _mazon $15 insoles.  Once I stopped pointing my toes while sleeping for a little bit, the ligament relaxed. The arch support through the day (inside normal looking shoes) keeps it away.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:11:26 PM EDT
[#31]
I dealt with it about 4 months ago.

did the stretches, iced the foot multiple times a day and rolled a golf ball around (therapist said that tennis balls nad the bumpy balls didn't work the muscles/ligaments enough).

went pain free about 2 months ago and then the other day had to do some hard work with a lot of walking and about died when I got out of bed the next day and stood up.  slipped on my VIonic house shoes and was pain free after that initial tear.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:16:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By FAIL-SAFE:

@AFARR

Well, that made it a little bit easier.  Now there's only 13 choices in the Pinnacle line.  I am a tall, fatass, with size 11.5 4E feet.
View Quote

@FAIL-SAFE

The width generally doesn't matter, but the size does.

I get:  https://a.co/d/h0Tx3VZ

Seems to work for me.  I have 'normal' arches (but collapse down because of  over-pronation).  if you've got Higher arches, they have one that's a little better for that.   Even got my Mom the pink ones when she got it from playing Pickleball.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:19:46 PM EDT
[#33]
It sucks. I got it last year. Dealt with it for about 6mo and finally got a steroid shot. Went away for a month or so but it’s back and with a vengeance.

I do some stretching and bought some good insoles which help. One of the main things that helps is wearing a splint at night which sucks and makes me not sleep as good.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:21:11 PM EDT
[#34]
I had it for years, then I bought shoes from these cats.

https://www.kurufootwear.com/pages/p-home-page?g_merchantid=&g_source=
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:29:40 PM EDT
[#35]

@FAIL-SAFE

The width generally doesn't matter, but the size does.

I get:  https://a.co/d/h0Tx3VZ

Seems to work for me.  I have 'normal' arches (but collapse down because of  over-pronation).  if you've got Higher arches, they have one that's a little better for that.   Even got my Mom the pink ones when she got it from playing Pickleball.
View Quote

@AFARR, how does one know if they have medium or high arches?

Your link just goes to a generic page
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:54:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Here's the AMZ title of the ones:

Powerstep Pinnacle Insoles - Shoe Inserts for Arch Support, Plantar Fasciitis, Pronation, Heel & Feet Pain Relief - Podiatrist-Recommended Orthotic Insoles for Women & Men (M 11-11.5, W 13-13.5)

Look at your footprints:

If it looks flat from the heel to the toes (whole bottom of the foot touches)...flat foot.

If you see the ball of the foot/heel and about 'half' of the middle of the foot, normal arch.

If you just see the heel and ball (and toe prints), but none of the middle (or very little), high arch.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:27:06 AM EDT
[#37]
I’m on day 2 of an experiment where I cut a hole in the sole of my work boot PF insert. It’s Muuuuuch better to walk on.

I just put it on my heel and pressed the inflamed area with a finger, the. Put a mark on it with my sharpie, then cut it. Today I cut a little more and am pretty happy.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:40:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9D1Alpha] [#38]
Originally Posted By QueenDeNile:
This and good shoes, supplements of magnesium. If you can wear Birkenstocks do. They're the ugliest shoes on the planet but they work.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By QueenDeNile:
tennis balls
This and good shoes, supplements of magnesium. If you can wear Birkenstocks do. They're the ugliest shoes on the planet but they work.

Good call. I was going to mention magnesium. ..good shoes definitely.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:43:50 AM EDT
[#39]
Believe it or not, I found that the shoe inserts really did help me. I was shocked.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:51:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:11:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Find a chiro that does Gtaston and has a Class 4 Laser,  you'll be feeling better in no time. Stretch your darn calves at home everyday first thing in the morning and right before bed.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:38:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Waldo:

Fuck me. Couldn't walk when I got out of bed this morning.

I guess two weeks of crawling up and down over refrigerator sized rip rap to get in and out of the river to go fishing was too much.

This is some absolutely miserable shit.

Sent the wife to find some orthotics for the time being.

I haven't had this since I quit working 15 years ago.
View Quote

These worked great for me...

Amazon Product
  • [HEEL CUPS FOR HEEL PAIN RELIEF] Our heel cushions are designed for heel pain relief from overworked hurting heels, sore feet, plantar fasciitis, bone spurs and heel spurs, achilles, edema and other conditions where heel support is needed. PLEASE DON'T ASSUME YOUR SIZE - MEASURE BEFORE ORDERING

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:50:57 AM EDT
[#43]
I started dealing with sharp heel pain a few months ago that was WAY worse after sitting for more than a few minutes at a time (long car trips were miserable).  My wife suggested it was plantar fasciitis and I bought a pair of Dr. Scholls insoles meant for it and they've made a huge difference.  I bought a pair of 2/3 length insoles for my running shoes but they move around too much and the underside of both heels feels hot like the beginning of a friction burn.  I need to get 2 more pairs of full-length insoles for my running shoes and my work boots.

I'll try the stretches, the sleep splint, and a frozen golf ball.

Thank you for all the suggestions.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:58:35 AM EDT
[#44]
tennis balls
View Quote

THis x87!

The sheer hell of a tennis ball kicking your ass via your foot will make stepping on legos in the night barefooted seem like a tickle.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:39:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:00:26 PM EDT
[#46]
@AFARR

Thanks!  I ordered the insoles and a night splint to try out.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:48:07 PM EDT
[#47]
52 years old.  Been dealing with PF for almost two years now.  It's better than it was, but far from gone.  I've done a full round of PT - didn't resolve the pain but it helped me understand what was going on and I learned some exercises and procedures that seem to be helping - *slowly*.  Tried *expensive* insoles - definitely not worth the money.  Finally started making more progress with a good foot roller, calf roller, Superfeet arch support insoles and Kuru orthotic shoes.  Mornings when I first get out of bed are the worst.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 4:06:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By AT7WE2:
52 years old.  Been dealing with PF for almost two years now.  It's better than it was, but far from gone.  I've done a full round of PT - didn't resolve the pain but it helped me understand what was going on and I learned some exercises and procedures that seem to be helping - *slowly*.  Tried *expensive* insoles - definitely not worth the money.  Finally started making more progress with a good foot roller, calf roller, Superfeet arch support insoles and Kuru orthotic shoes.  Mornings when I first get out of bed are the worst.
View Quote

So you're familiar with the penguin walk to the bathroom?    I tried superfeet insoles and found they weren't stiff enough for my flat feet. That's why I went to the plastic and then carbon fiber ones from tread labs. I also use a theragun of the soles of my feet and lower legs.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 4:25:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Malhass:  A daily foot massage by a cute Asian lady will cures all your ills
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 4:51:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Crunchy03] [#50]
Sorry if already posted, I dont feel like reading all that but my brother created the TP massage ball for his PF and it works really well. His company got bought out and they have many new products also but here is the link to what I'm talking about.

https://www.tptherapy.com/massage-balls.html

This was pretty much the original one:

Amazon - Original TP Massage Ball
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top