Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2024 1:34:53 PM EDT
Mysterious glittering streak across SoCal skyline
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 1:54:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like a de-orbit to me. Space junk that didn't make it to the usual graveyard in the Indian Ocean.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 2:13:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Was it heading towards Florida?
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 2:14:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brass] [#3]
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 3:07:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NotIssued] [#4]
Space junk, but that's also how the movie Battle Los Angeles started....
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 3:48:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brass] [#5]
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 7:21:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks like a meteorite breaking up as it enters the atmosphere. Looks like a sizeable one with all of the pieces that came off and had their own track.  

Still, probably not much bigger than a washing machine. My guess is it completely broke apart and vaporized, though some may have fell into the ocean.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 2:55:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Pretty amazing. Would be wild to see in person.

Wasn’t the beginning of the  Transformers movie nearly identical to that? Or was there another movie?

The new War of the Worlds was lightning strikes if I remember correctly.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 11:44:47 AM EDT
[#8]
There was a thread in GD about a 5800 pound pallet of used up batteries from the ISS that entered Earth's atmosphere around the same time. A 2 pound piece fell through a roof in Florida.

I suppose the pallet could have broken up on reentry and stuff may have scattered across the country. This could have been part of that. I have no idea.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 4:04:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 5:47:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jmills224:
https://www.space.com/chinese-space-junk-fall-fireball-shenzhou-15

Looks like it was Chinese space junk.
View Quote

Beat like a rented mule. Came to post this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top