Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2023 5:55:29 PM EDT
Wife and I were looking at a possible move in a few years to NC.

Was wondering the Leosa yearly firearms qual process for NC?  

I just go a local range that has state LE firearms Instructors for my yearly qual here in VA at the moment.

Was curious if North Carolina did the same thing etc.

Thanks .
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 6:44:43 PM EDT
[#1]
LEOSA Qual can be a do it yourself event.

18Z50
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 11:50:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Depends where you live. Contact the local sheriffs office or PD when you get to where you’re going.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 4:57:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tc556guy] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 18B30:
LEOSA Qual can be a do it yourself event.

18Z50
View Quote

How's that done? Who generates the documentation of a successful course of fire?
As to Ops question, a lot of our retired guys see the LEOSA qual day as an excuse to come back to NYS and catch up with their retired friends.
How long would it take for you to drive back to your former agency, OP, and do they offer their own LEOSA qual day?
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 8:45:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11b4v] [#4]
^^^, 18Z50, please expound or I'll start blowing up your cell buddy!.  I'm interested in this/self qualification as well.  There's been a learning curve for us all since  LEOSA passed.

I retired in GA, and now live in AL.   After retiring, I would drive back to GA the first couple of years to qual with my agency. The 3-4 drive/time off, etc, became a pain.

After learning I could qualify locally, or as LEOSA is interpreted, I hit up local cop friends (Bama-Shooter here was the first) and haven't had a problem since.  I've returned to favor with either a couple boxes of ammo, or beer.  

I've also heard that an NRA certified instructor can run you through your local state's  basic LE qual and that is acceptable, but y'all don't quote me on that.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 10:50:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By 11b4v:
I've also heard that an NRA certified instructor can run you through your local state's  basic LE qual and that is acceptable, but y'all don't quote me on that.
View Quote
This all depends on how each state implements LEOSA.

In MA, it has to be a Mass State Police (MSP) certified instructor, NRA doesn't count. I'm a retiree from MA, now living in NH. I am MSP certified to qualify MA retirees or MA residents who have retired from anywhere.

In NH, it has to be an active LEO. Retired LEOs can't certify anyone.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 6:29:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jeepva] [#6]
18Z50 Yes please explain . Your ok to PM me..

I know in VA you have to be state certified to teach LE firearms courses to give out yearly certs. The guy that does it in town is ret from a local dept himself. Works at a private range now. Heard of some places that have regular Instructors that do it. They went thought the state to get the cert to teach a LE course. That being said alot of agencies won't touch LEOSA coming back to qualify. Only know a few that    let the guys come back to qualify.

Link Posted: 11/30/2023 4:20:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't know if NC is the worst, but it seems pretty bad for maintaining LEOSA creds...

You have to pay and file paperwork with the state every year ($50 the first year and $25 every year after that).  You have to qualify (most likely the BLET 50 round day & night course along with a combat course) every year and you can only carry what you qual with.  The qual has to be done with an NC LE instructor as they have to sign the form prior to submission to the state.  This equates to a lot of onerous hoops to jump through to only get the same thing you get for an $80 CHP that is good for five years and you can carry what you want.  I have no information to share about getting a range slot to do the actual qualification as I have no experience with it.  I have had folks contact me about it but we don't do the BLET qual course here.

NC LEOSA info:  https://ncdoj.gov/law-enforcement-training/criminal-justice/training-certification-programs/retired-law-enforcement-officer-firearms-certification/

State Qualification Courses:  Firearms Manual

We were advised to encourage retired LE moving into the state just to get a CHP as the process is much easier and cheaper.  Sometimes I think they made it difficult on purpose.
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 8:10:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By O-Face:
I don't know if NC is the worst, but it seems pretty bad for maintaining LEOSA creds...

You have to pay and file paperwork with the state every year ($50 the first year and $25 every year after that).  You have to qualify (most likely the BLET 50 round day & night course along with a combat course) every year and you can only carry what you qual with.  The qual has to be done with an NC LE instructor as they have to sign the form prior to submission to the state.  This equates to a lot of onerous hoops to jump through to only get the same thing you get for an $80 CHP that is good for five years and you can carry what you want.  I have no information to share about getting a range slot to do the actual qualification as I have no experience with it.  I have had folks contact me about it but we don't do the BLET qual course here.

NC LEOSA info:  https://ncdoj.gov/law-enforcement-training/criminal-justice/training-certification-programs/retired-law-enforcement-officer-firearms-certification/

We were advised to encourage retired LE moving into the state just to get a CHP as the process is much easier and cheaper.  Sometimes I think they made it difficult on purpose.
View Quote

Josh Stein and Roy Cooper before as NCAG are not LE friendly and hate gun ownership in general.

The NCJA is a hot mess when it comes to anything Firearms related lately.
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 1:42:56 PM EDT
[#9]
holee shit those NC rules are shitty!  

BTW, I'll be LEOSA carrying there this coming week.
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 8:26:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Crazy!!!
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 8:52:39 AM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

I'd never move to NC if those are the sorts of qual mandates they're going to impose on retirees.
Easier to drive back to my old agency once a year and qualify there.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 9:11:07 AM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

This is great info right here. From what I understand now if you have Leo credentials you can just go to the Sheriff and ask for a CHP and forgo the required class.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top