Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2023 5:24:43 PM EDT
I currently have a wood humidor from cigarbid that I bought a few years back.  Looks nice, but quality is kinda meh and it has a poor seal.  I used a cigar oasis in it and I would have to refill that thing like every week.

So, now I want something that is quality and wasn't made in some random Chinese shop.  Would like it to comfortably hold 100 sticks with the cigar oasis in it.  I would say $200ish is what I would like to spend, but I could be talked into spending more if it's going to last a lifetime and be a conversation piece.  I'm open to both cabinet style and box style humidors.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 6:22:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Your budget and your expectations are not in line with each other.

US made humidors with quality construction start at $200 for 20-30ct boxes.

My personal humidor is a Husky clear top 12 gallon tote with a cigar oasis. Currently just under 100 sticks, easily room for 100 more.

Aging humidor is a latching Klaro.

This is the “fair game” humidor.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 8:38:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 10:10:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By gsd1983:

My personal humidor is a Husky clear top 12 gallon tote with a cigar oasis. Currently just under 100 sticks, easily room for 100 more.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/402989/IMG_2130_jpeg-3077506.JPG
View Quote

Yeah, I should have Google before posting, lol.  Looks like I'll have to save a little.

I found some humidors that look like what I'm looking for done by Michael Benton.  Any opinions on those?
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 11:30:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By AZ-AR15:

Yeah, I should have Google before posting, lol.  Looks like I'll have to save a little.

I found some humidors that look like what I'm looking for done by Michael Benton.  Any opinions on those?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AZ-AR15:

If you decide to spend some money, check out what Daniel Marshal has available.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 11:40:28 PM EDT
[#5]
if you're not hung up on looks, nothing holds rh better than a Coleman cooler. Get the big one, it's got slots for shelves, by some wire shelving, throw in a pound of rh beads, tilt it on end and open it like a fridge. Stick a hygrometer inside the door and you can squeeze up to 800 sticks in one, and the fuller they are the better they regulate rh
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 12:04:01 AM EDT
[#6]
So I'm just getting back into cigars and headed down a similar path.  I did the  Oasis deal, with beads, etc. in a nice tower humidor.  Then the coolidor (very successful as well. even used a brand new battery powered air freshener fan to move air).  

At this point, I'm seasoning a 30 stick desktop humidor, but using Rubbermaid Brilliance to store any large quantities.  I keep the desktop at 62% (using 62% Boveda pack).  62% keeps them fresh, but let's me smoke them right  away.  I might keep the Rubbermaid at 69%

As far seasoning, I used a cloth  wet with distilled water and wiped it well, then place a Boveda 84% seasoning pack in there.  Boveda is the  way to go.

A Govee hygrometer is the current Tier 1.  The smaller  one, and it's bluetooth.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 12:43:48 AM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

Hmm...believe it or not, I could never bring myself to spend the $$$ for a Milwaukee packout (I'm a DIY'r, so no real need), but hell their $65 packout kit might be exactly  what I need!  I have a 6" cigar box  and created an acrylic organized, perforating the dividers.  It's 6 x 6 as well. Your Husky gave me the idea.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 7:55:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By TXBO:

If you decide to spend some money, check out what Daniel Marshal has available.
View Quote

Interesting.  His cash for clunker program may be just what I need.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 1:24:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ammodors] [#9]
If you can afford a traditional wooden humidor made in the USA, then look into Waxing Moon, Gryphon Humidors, Michael Dixon, etc. They offer incredible custom pieces - but it'll cost you (~ $500-$1000+++)!

Diamond Crown Cigar has several models that are mass produced (but still made in the USA) that are very nice and much more affordable for the average cigar guy (~ $250+).

I'm biased, but my non-traditional Ammodor ammo can humidors are a damn fine choice as well in that price range! ;) You can't find a more durable, efficient or cooler looking humidor. You can use the coupon code "arfcom" on my site during checkout for your 10% off forum group member discount too!

PS: Tupperware is for leftovers. I said what I said.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 1:35:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Find a thermoelectric wine refrigerator. Purchase cedar trays, a Bluetooth Govee humidity/temp gauge, and a few 320 gram Boveda packs.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 1:59:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By HiramRanger:
Find a thermoelectric wine refrigerator. Purchase cedar trays, a Bluetooth Govee humidity/temp gauge, and a few 320 gram Boveda packs.
View Quote

In a warmer climate this especially a good idea.  NEEDONE is thermoelectric and on Amazon and gets decent reviews.   I almost pulled the trigger and I believe you can buy cedar drawers for it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 12:28:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 9:35:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: spectre3] [#13]
https://www.cigarsinternational.com/p/cigar-jar-humidor-humidors/1437573/#p-2527

I just got one of these recently after constant issues with my old wooden humidor. Even in my poorly insulated house, with the boveda 65% pack it's always between 68% and 70% when I check the humidity. I'll keep checking the humidity to see how long the pack actually lasts. For $4 a pack and no hassle or maintenance on my end, if it actually lasts the advertised 3 months I'm satisfied.

Obviously, you can make something similar out of tupperware if you keep more cigars on hand or want a different form factor.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 7:39:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Rubbermaid Brilliance

Amazon Product
  • "Rubbermaid Brilliance 100% leak-proof food storage containers feature BPA-free Tritan lids and bases with 360-degree clarity; airtight seal and secure latches prevent spills and leaks and help keep food fresh and secure "

Link Posted: 1/21/2024 7:56:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By SwiftyMorgan:

In a warmer climate this especially a good idea.  NEEDONE is thermoelectric and on Amazon and gets decent reviews.   I almost pulled the trigger and I believe you can buy cedar drawers for it.
View All Quotes

I have a wine fridge and use cedar pieces from the inside of cigar boxes instead of buying cedar trays and used boxes without lids or lids to hold loose cigars.  Works excellent.  You need to air it out if new.  Sunlight helps with this too.  Or low heat.  

Been several years and works great.  

FYI.  Facebook marketplace has tons of wine fridges for sale.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 8:12:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By wptemple:

I have a wine fridge and use cedar pieces from the inside of cigar boxes instead of buying cedar trays and used boxes without lids or lids to hold loose cigars.  Works excellent.  You need to air it out if new.  Sunlight helps with this too.  Or low heat.  

View All Quotes

I actually have a dozen or so Spanish  cedar planks that  I used in  a coolidor.  And some acrylic that I perforated with a drill, to promote airflow.  Then I added an older, NOS, battery operated air freshener, which runs intermittently to maintain   ariflow.

I thought the better fridges were the thermoelectric, since they  didn't dry the air, as a wine fridge would. due to  the compressor.  I believe you though and am tempted to try a smaller fridge of either sort
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 12:14:12 PM EDT
[#17]

I actually have a dozen or so Spanish  cedar planks that  I used in  a coolidor.  And some acrylic that I perforated with a drill, to promote airflow.  Then I added an older, NOS, battery operated air freshener, which runs intermittently to maintain   ariflow.

I thought the better fridges were the thermoelectric, since they  didn't dry the air, as a wine fridge would. due to  the compressor.  I believe you though and am tempted to try a smaller fridge of either sort
View All Quotes

Thermoelectric have a fan so that helps.  Most of the small compressor types of fridges you run sealed with no drain and without the coils freezing up and icing up, causing the RH to drop from pulling the moisture from the air. so I they don’t  dry at cigar temps but many have to have the thermostat modded so it only goes to 65 instead of 40.  

Plenty of articles online about modding a wine fridge for a coolerdor if anyone is interested.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 5:34:05 PM EDT
[#18]
I purchased a Edgestar 28 bottle wine fridge about 20 years ago.  I sealed the drain hole, put about two pounds of baking soda in it for two weeks to take any residual manufacturing "oder/smells" out of it (didn't want the sticks picking anything up, worked great) and then got a few cedar drawers (properly seasoned them) with glass tops.  I have never plugged it in and it holds a mid 60's temp in my basement all year long.  I store a few new boxes down low and the remaining sticks (quite a few) are stored in the drawers.  I just used humidity beads and add distilled water when needed and never had an issue.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top