Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2022 4:38:14 PM EDT
Got a friends wedding coming up in July and I need to start shopping for some fancy threads?   What places are recommended?   Any particular brands that are stylish?
I’m about 6ft 2in, 190lbs, so not a fat ass or a midget.  I’d be willing to spend up to maybe $750 for something nice and somewhat modern looking.    
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 4:43:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I've bought a couple of suits from them.
Friendly, knowledgeable sales staff.  Decent selection.  Tailor did a good job.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 4:46:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Try Macy's. I went to a couple "suit" warehouse places, trouble was I needed a 46 coat but the pants were way too big. Have a 36" waist, 34-35" inseam. At Macys they had suit separates I was able to buy a nice suit coat and two pair of matching trousers. < $700
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 4:59:05 PM EDT
[#3]
They used to be a good deal but last time I went, all the suits felt thin and cheap.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 5:02:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I got one there about 3 years ago for a wedding.
I hate that suit.
My old one was from jc penny and was a lot better.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 5:03:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ballisticxlr] [#5]
Just went and got a suit. Good stuff. Pleased with it. I got out the door with slacks, jacket, shirt, pocket square, shoes and belt for ~600. Since I have no sense of aesthetics and I never wear suits it was nice to have someone that knew what they were doing with respect to putting together a nice looking combo.

ETA: I'm a pretty lucky guy being 5'10" and 170lbs and with proportions that are about as average as it's possible to have. They were able to put together the components to look like they were tailored without having to bother with the tailor fitting. If your body isn't odd in proportions in any way (super fat, super skinny, oddly long legs/torso etc...) you should probably be able to end up with similar results.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 5:26:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Buy one suit, get three free!
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 5:33:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Men's warehouse is fine bought several suits from them but of all the suits I have bought I think Macy's is much better quality especially when they have their sales.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 5:33:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I have had good experiences with these guys. Combatant Gentleman.

They don’t break the bank and look good. I have bought several suits and travel jackets from them.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 5:57:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Around here there is K&G Men's Ware, on offshoot of Men's Warehouse. Good enough for the guy who wears a suit maybe once a year.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 9:22:24 PM EDT
[#10]
they provided the suits for my Step daughters wedding in Sept.    basic black.  I have never looked better in a suit.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 9:39:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Unfortunately, we've had a couple of family funerals. Bought new suits for my teen son. Nicely made and tailoring was quick. They got them to us much sooner than promised.

The only weird thing is that I took my suit in to take the pants in since I'd lost weight and they turned me away until I had it dry cleaned. Why would I want to do that before rather than having it cleaned and pressed after you monkey with it?
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 9:42:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Just did this in October, due to COVID weddings were something north of 50% of their business.

They do need some time for alterations (about a month) but they did an awesome job for me and I was out the door
looking very good for about $350.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 8:06:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By eracer:
I've bought a couple of suits from them.
Friendly, knowledgeable sales staff.  Decent selection.  Tailor did a good job.
View Quote

Thanks.  Most likely stopping in there to check it out
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 8:08:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By TNZ71:
Try Macy's. I went to a couple "suit" warehouse places, trouble was I needed a 46 coat but the pants were way too big. Have a 36" waist, 34-35" inseam. At Macys they had suit separates I was able to buy a nice suit coat and two pair of matching trousers. < $700
View Quote

I’ve got a Macy’s within 30 min of my location.  If Mens warehouse doesn’t impress then I’m headed to Macy’s
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 8:12:05 AM EDT
[#15]
If you can stretch your budget a bit, you can get a made to measure custom suit from Balani.

It is the difference between looking good and looking great
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 8:13:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Phillgui:
I have had good experiences with these guys. Combatant Gentleman.

They don’t break the bank and look good. I have bought several suits and travel jackets from them.
View Quote

That’s interesting.   I may have to find a tape measure..
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 8:15:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By SMC527:
If you can stretch your budget a bit, you can get a made to measure custom suit from Balani.

It is the difference between looking good and looking great
View Quote

I think Nordstroms (about an hour from me) sells them.  That would be north of $1k though I’m thinking
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 8:30:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By olscruffy:
they provided the suits for my Step daughters wedding in Sept.    basic black.  I have never looked better in a suit.
View Quote

Same here. 2019 for son’s wedding. Mine fit and felt great. I only wear suits to weddings and funerals. Sport coats if not close.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 5:53:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By seek2:
They do need some time for alterations (about a month) but they did an awesome job for me and I was out the door
looking very good for about $350.
View Quote

This wasn't my experience at all. Maybe it depends on what you're having done. Our jackets were fine. My son's suit was brand new and the jacket was fine so he just had the pants done and I just had the waist taken in. They were both done in a couple of days and ahead of when we were told.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 10:37:21 PM EDT
[#20]

If you are on a budget

Get a cheaper suit
And get it tailored

Fit is more important that the quality feel.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 10:42:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#21]
Originally Posted By Gotterdammerung:
They used to be a good deal but last time I went, all the suits felt thin and cheap.
View Quote

Agreed.

I had to replace one quick for a funeral.   I did not have time to mess around,  

Weeks later I saw better quality garments in Macy’s and other half way decent stores.  

MWH does work fast.  They do push their way overpriced accessories hard.  I was pleased with their higher end shirts though.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 4:09:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Went to Men’s Warehouse today.  I was there for maybe 25 minutes. Got there right at 10am. Got a jacket, pants, 3 shirts and 2 ties for $670.  So far I’m happy. Just need shoes, belt socks.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 6:49:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Suitsupply is higher quality in that price level, but if using MW, get it tailored for fit. That’s most important, even if it’s a suit from JC Penny, fit helps.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 6:49:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Useafortyfive:
Went to Men’s Warehouse today.  I was there for maybe 25 minutes. Got there right at 10am. Got a jacket, pants, 3 shirts and 2 ties for $670.  So far I’m happy. Just need shoes, belt socks.
View Quote

Alterations planned or done?

Get shoes that match belt leather.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 7:16:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Any of the online suit companies worthwhile.
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 9:01:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Useafortyfive] [#26]
Got alterations doneAttachment Attached File

Got some Steve Madden shoes and belt to match
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 9:15:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top