Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2024 12:00:37 PM EDT
I’ve used Lightroom for years.  I currently have a lot of saved presets that I use.  

Last fall, lightning ran in on my cable line and took out my computer.  I upgraded to a Mac Studio and now I can’t figure out how to get Lightroom back on that computer.  I have my login for Adobe, my box, the original disk, but I can’t locate the password for the software.   It’s not on the box, the disk, or the original receipt where I bought it from, B&H Photo.

When I try to download from Adobe and my account it says the installer has not been updated to my IOS version.

I’ve tried calling,  chatting and emailing Adobe and it’s like talking to a brick wall.  No answers at all other than you have to buy a subscription.

I just want a stand alone version.  The one I already paid for.

Is anyone aware of a way to purchase a working copy of Lightroom 6?  I’ll pay again if I have to.

Or am I stuck paying for the rest of my natural life.  I’m still using the 2010 version of Office.  I hate the subscription model.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 12:17:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Could try eBay or torrents.

My wife hasn’t updated OSX on her iMac In a few years because she has CS6 and refuses to pay a subscription to use software she already owns.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 2:30:09 PM EDT
[#2]
adobe photoshop elements is the stand-alone version. it's as far as I can tell released yearly. I have the 2023 version.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 5:23:22 PM EDT
[#3]
You want Lightroom Classic.  I've got the $10/mo subscription (LR/PS), and it keeps pelading with me to change to the cloud based stuff, but I'm all "FU, Adobe!!  If it don't live on my hard drive it don't live at all!!"

I have no issues with getting updates.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 8:42:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Grendel-OK] [#4]
Bite the bullet, and swallow the Adobe subscription poison. Lightroom Classic and Photoshop are both worth it and they only come in subscription format now.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:02:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been using Adobe apps since 1988. But fuck their subscription shit.

Alternatives to Lightroom
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:46:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BikerNut:
I've been using Adobe apps since 1988. But fuck their subscription shit.

Alternatives to Lightroom
View Quote

I've used Adobe products since at least 1992.
But this subscription based crap takes the prize... the "no thank you" prize.
There are other options.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:44:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I am using ON1 for my editing.  I like the results so far.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 3:29:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By WhatsGnu:

I've used Adobe products since at least 1992.
But this subscription based crap takes the prize... the "no thank you" prize.
There are other options.
View Quote

I used to think that.  But for $10/month I get PS and LR.  I get a new laptop every 3-4 years, so what I spend on the sub (which gets me constant updates), so to my way of thinking I'm not really spending any more than the standalone than I am on the sub.

For me, it's worth it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 7:54:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EBR666] [#9]
Originally Posted By bigbad401:
I am using ON1 for my editing.  I like the results so far.
View Quote

It's what I use and for a novice is easy to learn. If you become an One-1 plus account, cheap $37/year. their resources are fairly extensive for learning. Once you learn the system don't renew the pro account.

They are having their spring sale now for the program.

EBR

I forgot to mention. If you are a Vet, teacher, student there are major discounts. Active Mil. get it FREE.

Edt to add forgot to mention.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:57:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I limped along with Lightzone and the GIMP before I realized I  needed a more “pro” system.

But harshing on LZ and G, they’re fine apps, but I get a lot of utility out of the LR/PS pair.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:49:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By FredMan:
You want Lightroom Classic.  I've got the $10/mo subscription (LR/PS), and it keeps pelading with me to change to the cloud based stuff, but I'm all "FU, Adobe!!  If it don't live on my hard drive it don't live at all!!"

I have no issues with getting updates.
View Quote

Considering the cost of subscription vs. buying something outright that will be outdated in a year or 2 max subscription actually IS the better deal.   It also means they are motivated to push meaningful updates, and if they start hiking prices I can cancel and move to GIMP or some other image processing software.  99.9999% of the time any of the software packages out now would work fine for me.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 9:41:47 AM EDT
[#12]
I am a most a photography person, on Sony A6600/A6700 and Nikon D7500/D500 platforms, and I shoot 99.9% .jpeg, but I would like to try .RAW soon, can anyone suggest an alternative to Adobe's Lightroom? I just hate it when I have to pay a subscription, which means my software may not work at some point in time.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 6:16:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By warlord:
I am a most a photography person, on Sony A6600/A6700 and Nikon D7500/D500 platforms, and I shoot 99.9% .jpeg, but I would like to try .RAW soon, can anyone suggest an alternative to Adobe's Lightroom? I just hate it when I have to pay a subscription, which means my software may not work at some point in time.
View Quote

Whether we like it or not, the subscription is the way to go. You could "buy" software now and it could still not work in the future for a variety of reasons.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:24:57 AM EDT
[#14]
I had to move to Capture One to get away from LR's subscription BS. I like it enough but I do miss LR.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:55:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Capture One seems to be where many are moving.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top