Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2024 12:03:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SlowTA]
Friend of mine has been getting the run around for years on different health related things from the va and has recently lost his full time job (he is also discharged I believe). The money stress as well as some medical issues are taking a toll and every time he tries getting some sort of help from the VA he gets a horseshit runaround. Endless loops of phone options that always loop back to the main menu etc. no call backs when he does leave messages.

I’m starting to be concerned for him and all of the searches I do lead back to the va. Are there any other veterans support services that actually work and would be good for him to talk to about chiropractic and mental health care to start with?  I think those 2 would go a very long way.

Forgot to mention he is just outside of Kansas City MO.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:42:08 PM EDT
[#1]
No one?  Please if someone can help out it would be really appreciate it
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:50:13 PM EDT
[#2]
See if his county has a vet rep or a local DAV rep; sometimes they're the same. I got nowhere dealing with the VA by myself. Having an advocate that can guide you through the process is the way to go.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:52:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Does he have a Rating?

Check and see if the Hospital has a Patient Advocate.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:55:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HDLS] [#4]
Disabled American Veterans, local/county/state VA service officer (not employed by the V.A.), Lawyer that specializes in V.A. service connected issues.....

https://www.dav.org

Assuming he's in Missouri like you

https://mvc.dps.mo.gov/service/

Missour service officer locator

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/39deffcea8644ed0858f602ca691dea4

If he's not in Missouri, just google the state with "county VA service officers"
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:56:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HDLS] [#5]
"...he is also discharged I believe..."  What does this mean?

Does he have a service connected disability raiting?  If so, what percentage?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:00:37 PM EDT
[#6]
There isn’t a contractural guarantee of health care services for all vets from the VA. The VA has designed a tiered system to allocate availability of services that prioritize some vets over others. The guys in the lower tiers don’t get much from the VA.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:02:07 PM EDT
[#7]
In before the typical

V.A. threads turn in to.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:09:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:11:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By SlowTA:
Friend of mine has been getting the run around for years on different health related things from the va and has recently lost his full time job (he is also discharged I believe). The money stress as well as some medical issues are taking a toll and every time he tries getting some sort of help from the VA he gets a horseshit runaround. Endless loops of phone options that always loop back to the main menu etc. no call backs when he does leave messages.

I’m starting to be concerned for him and all of the searches I do lead back to the va. Are there any other veterans support services that actually work and would be good for him to talk to about chiropractic and mental health care to start with?  I think those 2 would go a very long way.

Forgot to mention he is just outside of Kansas City MO.
View Quote

I used to say, call your congressman but they can't do jack either. My friend had problems with the VA for 12 years. Even his congressman threw up his hands in frustration. He finally hired a lawyer and sued. It still took 3 more years to get them to do their job. I got Medicare and a supplement from USAA. I get all the help I need and what Medicare doesn't cover, the supplemental does. I've had 3 vertebrae fused, a hip replacement, Nerve damage therapy, 2 heart procedures, a tumor removed, one trip to the ER for a dislocated shoulder and therapy, 1 carpel Tunnel, and 3 trigger finger surgeries and haven't had to spend a penny. The cost of the supplemental insurance was worth every cent. I truly wish I didn't have to go through any of this but life can really suck and nothing you can do about it but roll with the punches. Thank you USAA.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:31:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Should be a CVSO in that area.  Talk to them.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:39:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:46:42 PM EDT
[#12]
First...how much of a friend is he?

Second..examine his DD214

Lastly...DAV, VFW, or county DAV services office.  Have them do the leg work, they know the system and who to contact.

I've met a lot of vet's who have these interesting sob stories, they always seem to never find their DD-214 or can find the time to go the VA for all these "Combat related" problems.    Instead they whine and ask you to help them via a cash donation.

18Z50.....PH, BS(V).....Love the Toledo, VA and the Lucas County Veteran's Service Office.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:51:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cobra-Commander] [#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 18B30:
First...how much of a friend is he?

Second..examine his DD214

Lastly...DAV, VFW, or county DAV services office.  Have them do the leg work, they know the system and who to contact.

I've met a lot of vet's who have these interesting sob stories, they always seem to never find their DD-214 or can find the time to go the VA for all these "Combat related" problems.    Instead they whine and ask you to help them via a cash donation.

18Z50.....PH, BS(V).....Love the Toledo, VA and the Lucas County Veteran's Service Office.

View Quote

Pretty much my experience as well. I suspect there is definitely more to this story.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:52:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Without detailed information nobody here can tell you if your friend is a crazy old man or has legitimate complaints.

There are no automatic VA benefits for every veteran, he has to meet eligibility criteria.  
99.9% of the time that eligibility is via determination that your health problems are service connected, ie. the military caused them (or worsened an existing condition).

There are clearly established rules and procedures and, when followed, I've rarely heard anything bad about the VA.  
I've heard every old man complaint under the sun about the VA and the thing that most have in common is that the complainer isn't following the rules and expects special red carpet service.  

If his health problems aren't service connected what does he expect from the VA?  
If they are, he needs to file a claim to start the process if he hasn't already.

Every state has a state VA department and they have at least one office in nearly every county in the nation.  If he needs help he can go there and they will spoon feed him the rules, help him file paperwork, or do whatever they can to help.  

Be aware that there's also a subset of old guys who complain and bash the VA because they think it's the hip thing to do.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:55:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By HDLS:
"...he is also discharged I believe..."  What does this mean?

Does he have a service connected disability raiting?  If so, what percentage?
View Quote

He said is discharged and has a 10% rating. I only phrased it like I did because I didn’t want to misspeak.

Thanks everyone for the help thus far!
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:58:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Morgan321] [#16]
He said is discharged and has a 10% rating. I only phrased it like I did because I didn’t want to misspeak.
View Quote

In general, VA medical is free only for your medical conditions that are service connected.  

For example, if his 10% disability is for hearing loss then he can get hearing exams, hearing aids, etc. from the VA for free.  He won't get free medical care for anything that isn't related to his hearing loss.

There are some ways into the VA system if you are poor, as in destitute, homeless, and poverty stricken poor.  Not "I got laid off and have to find another job poor".  

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:02:55 PM EDT
[#17]
In my experience the VA will do back flips to help a veteran or retiree in need. The catch is that you have to qualify for the help and be able to produce credentials that prove you qualify for the help.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:03:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Morgan321:
Without detailed information nobody here can tell you if your friend is a crazy old man or has legitimate complaints.

There are no automatic VA benefits for every veteran, he has to meet eligibility criteria.  
99.9% of the time that eligibility is via determination that your health problems are service connected, ie. the military caused them (or worsened an existing condition).

There are clearly established rules and procedures and, when followed, I've rarely heard anything bad about the VA.  
I've heard every old man complaint under the sun about the VA and the thing that most have in common is that the complainer isn't following the rules and expects special red carpet service.  

If his health problems aren't service connected what does he expect from the VA?  
If they are, he needs to file a claim to start the process if he hasn't already.

Every state has a state VA department and they have at least one office in nearly every county in the nation.  If he needs help he can go there and they will spoon feed him the rules, help him file paperwork, or do whatever they can to help.  

Be aware that there's also a subset of old guys who complain and bash the VA because they think it's the hip thing to do.  
View Quote

I asked him and he said it is a service related disability and he gets 100% healthcare through the VA.

And hopefully this thread didn’t come across as a bash of the VA because I wasn’t intending it to. I had just got done talking with him and hearing about his va automated phone service limbo that dumped him right back at the main number and his frustrations with no call backs other times. I know he needs the help and maybe the severity of the problems is causing his issues getting things taken care of as well.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:13:21 PM EDT
[#19]

Thanks everyone for the help thus far!
View Quote

Everyone who ever left the service alive is discharged, so that by itself doesn’t mean anything.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:14:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Vietnam vet?
One of my best friends served in Nam. He’s always bragging about every time he goes to the VA here, they’re throwing money at him. Even his wife gets a check for putting up with him.
He qualified for disability, agent orange, and some other stuff. He’s healthy as a horse and sharp as a tack.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:21:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Morgan321] [#21]
I asked him and he said it is a service related disability and he gets 100% healthcare through the VA.

..... hearing about his va automated phone service limbo ......

I know he needs the help and maybe the severity of the problems is causing his issues getting things taken care of as well.
View Quote

Again, details matter.  

Is he already receiving care for this condition?  If so, he can simply make an appointment like any other medical care.  He can make an appointment by walking in, via phone, online, etc.  just like any other medical facility.
VA care isn't much different than any other care, they have shitty automated phone systems, staff who are too lazy to call you back, and generally unhelpful people.  Like most places, the medical people are great but the administration often leaves a lot to be desired.

Is he wanting to start receiving VA care for this condition?  If so, he has to apply to begin receiving care for a service connected condition.  He can do it via va.gov and almost any veteran organization can help him if he needs help.  He can probably walk-in and do it also but I'm not sure.

I'm curious what condition is so serious that the medical is urgently critical and life altering, but the condition is only 10%?  There are VA emergency care facilities if it's that serious, I bet Kansas City is plenty large enough to have one of those.
Not being negative, but he could just be grumpy from being laid off, etc. and looking for something to bitch about too.  That is not uncommon - people need somewhere to direct their anger.

KCMO VA medical facilities:
Attachment Attached File

ETA:
Apparently you can do all your doctor things directly on va.gov.  
What does he want to do that isn't on the list below?  
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:07:58 PM EDT
[#22]

And hopefully this thread didn’t come across as a bash of the VA because I wasn’t intending it to. I had just got done talking with him and hearing about his va automated phone service limbo that dumped him right back at the main number and his frustrations with no call backs other times. I know he needs the help and maybe the severity of the problems is causing his issues getting things taken care of as well.
View Quote

How does he get 100% care through the VA if he only has 10%?

Serious question,  I know some other guys that use the VA and I could swear they're fine.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:32:24 PM EDT
[#23]
He can go to any VA ER and be evaluated and treated.
In fact, he’ll jump the line on all the other vets who go through their primary care provider and make appointments.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:39:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bacon_Grease] [#24]
Originally Posted By NotIssued:

Serious question,  I know some other guys that use the VA and I could swear they're fine.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NotIssued:

There's basically two different things now.

VA healthcare

VA Disability and related care.

The healthcare is it's own from of health insurance.  You get your VA card and use it in place of you regular insurance card.

Navigating the system now I can use it and don't have any disability rating.

The Disability is a whole different can of worms especially if we are talking the compensation apart from care.

OP.  It really depends on what type of care you are trying to get your friend.

General medical.  Have him sign on to VA.gov and try to schedule his initial appointments from there.  They can have him seen by medical professionals in his area that work with the VA. (likely to be more than you expect)

Compensation stuff. Have him consult with a VSO.  They'll help him get his paperwork straight to navigate the system.

Mental stuff.  Go to a Vet Center.  They do actual consoling especially the kind to help those thinking of suck starting a shotgun.

I'm currently in the process of dealing with all the stuff and there's so many services but they're all so niche and many of those wanting to help will just point you back to the VA like your are already getting.

Edit to add

At even 10% percent he should to be able to access the VA hospital and can be seen for anything to my understanding.  

How close is he to this place?

Kansas City VA Medical Center
4801 Linwood Boulevard
Kansas City, MO 64128-2226
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:44:15 PM EDT
[#25]
From KC, he should drive to Ft Lenardwood or Ft. Leavenworth and see the VA REP.  That is, if he is an eligible vet.  And From OP, I get squishy feelings on that.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:16:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Bacon_Grease:

There's basically two different things now.

VA healthcare

VA Disability and related care.

The healthcare is it's own from of health insurance.  You get your VA card and use it in place of you regular insurance card.

Navigating the system now I can use it and don't have any disability rating.

The Disability is a whole different can of worms especially if we are talking the compensation apart from care.

OP.  It really depends on what type of care you are trying to get your friend.

General medical.  Have him sign on to VA.gov and try to schedule his initial appointments from there.  They can have him seen by medical professionals in his area that work with the VA. (likely to be more than you expect)

Compensation stuff. Have him consult with a VSO.  They'll help him get his paperwork straight to navigate the system.

Mental stuff.  Go to a Vet Center.  They do actual consoling especially the kind to help those thinking of suck starting a shotgun.

I'm currently in the process of dealing with all the stuff and there's so many services but they're all so niche and many of those wanting to help will just point you back to the VA like your are already getting.

Edit to add

At even 10% percent he should to be able to access the VA hospital and can be seen for anything to my understanding.  

How close is he to this place?

Kansas City VA Medical Center
4801 Linwood Boulevard
Kansas City, MO 64128-2226
View Quote

Thanks.  I'm more up to speed on Tricare, didn't realize the VA was their "own" insurance company too.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:45:03 AM EDT
[#27]

In general, VA medical is free only for your medical conditions that are service connected.  

For example, if his 10% disability is for hearing loss then he can get hearing exams, hearing aids, etc. from the VA for free.  He won't get free medical care for anything that isn't related to his hearing loss.

There are some ways into the VA system if you are poor, as in destitute, homeless, and poverty stricken poor.  Not "I got laid off and have to find another job poor".  

View Quote

Not even close to true.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:08:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Triggerstuck:

Not even close to true.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Triggerstuck:

Not even close to true.

No shit, I spent the last few years watching someone who went deaf from riding a open piped bike 25 years after he got out of the navy [he never touched ANY type of firearm/weapon system after basic] that had perfectly fine TESTED at work hearing first get 10% disability for hearing and then somehow milk that [perfectly fine total jock] into all sorts of other shit and now I guarantee he's going to try some disability scam on work who isn't close to being as stupid as the VA is.

There are reasons there aren't enough funds or care for Vets who really have service related issues, especially combat related, and they aren't all govt related.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:07:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Chisum:

I used to say, call your congressman but they can't do jack either. My friend had problems with the VA for 12 years. Even his congressman threw up his hands in frustration. He finally hired a lawyer and sued. It still took 3 more years to get them to do their job. I got Medicare and a supplement from USAA. I get all the help I need and what Medicare doesn't cover, the supplemental does. I've had 3 vertebrae fused, a hip replacement, Nerve damage therapy, 2 heart procedures, a tumor removed, one trip to the ER for a dislocated shoulder and therapy, 1 carpel Tunnel, and 3 trigger finger surgeries and haven't had to spend a penny. The cost of the supplemental insurance was worth every cent. I truly wish I didn't have to go through any of this but life can really suck and nothing you can do about it but roll with the punches. Thank you USAA.
View Quote

I don't know about that as my dad had a problem and called his US congresswoman. Someone from the VA called my dad to tell him things had been straighten out and asked that he please not call his Congresswoman any more.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:11:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Born_of_Fire:
In my experience the VA will do back flips to help a veteran or retiree in need. The catch is that you have to qualify for the help and be able to produce credentials that prove you qualify for the help.
View Quote

This is my experience as well.  They bugged the crap out of me to sign up through the PACT Act since I was in Kuwait during Desert storm.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:19:20 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

I guess the experience varies.

I got out in '99. My records were not electronic.

VA can not locate my records, they kick me to the National Archive. National Archive says they don't have them, check with the VA. There is not a system in place, that I am aware of, to make that cycle end with a logical conclusion.

I am sure the VA counts on guys like me to give up and say, "fuck it".
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:26:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By ZitiForBreakfast:

VA can not locate my records, they kick me to the National Archive. National Archive says they don't have them, check with the VA. There is not a system in place, that I am aware of, to make that cycle end with a logical conclusion.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ZitiForBreakfast:

Check with your state and a vet group, they [states]  seem to find a way to get their hands on copies of your papers.

Problem is, since your request goes through the typical state employee, you may or may not ever see it because most are real job rejects.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:27:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: killstick_engaged] [#33]
Iraq Combat vet bro who is 100% disabled went to VA for neuropathy issues and migraines that he's had for a looong time,  neurologist accused him of faking it LOL. Nevermind he's already at 100% for other stuff and is just there for health care.

He's never going back until he's a geriatric old fuck and I don't blame him. But I also informed him that neurologists tend to be like that.

As for VA bennies, if you have a DD214 (especially a combat one) but your medical records are lost, you have willy wonkas golden ticket. But vets don't know that, lots of gatekeepers and blue falcons, and then they kill themselves
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top